Go Back   Virtual Teen Forums > > >
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read Chat Room

Old September 21st, 2011, 08:30 PM   #1
Megson
Member++

Megson's Forum Picture

Name: Megan
Default Social Anxiety?

Not sure if this is the place. It best fits my situation.

Well, I'm terribly shy around people I don't know. I don't talk to people, and if someone talks to me, I can't repy beyond a nervous laugh or a nod. I get horribly anxious if I have to speak with an authority figure, or even if I just have to make a phone call to order pizza.

Around friends, I'm more comfortable, but I get embarassed way too easily. I'm always thinking of what I'm going to say next.

Another thing, I'm afraid to ask people for things. Example: this girl had this great smelling hand sanitizer that she was letting everyone use. I was too scared to go up to her and ask her if I could have some, too, so I just stayed silent.
Once, I was actually too nervous to ask my bus driver to turn on the radio.

These disadvantages make it really hard for me to make new friends. I'm often found sitting alone or hanging with close friends in silence. I'm lonely.

(EDIT: I've looked into it a lot lately... And I seem to have a lot of the symptoms. What I would like to know is how can I ask for help? I absoulutely despise asking anyone for help, and my mom would respond with something like, "Well, what do you want me to do about it?"
How can I respond to that?? "I want therapy," or "I want medication"?? How do I address this issue?

Last edited by Megson; September 22nd, 2011 at 06:40 PM.
Megson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 21st, 2011, 08:32 PM   #2
OptimusPrime
Banned

Name: Your Mom
Default Re: Social Anxiety?

Sounds like you've got the same type of social anxiety as me.
OptimusPrime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 21st, 2011, 08:40 PM   #3
AppealToReason
Awesome Poster

AppealToReason's Forum Picture

Name: Michael

Unfortunately, we can't diagnose you on here, but it'd be best to get some form of help if this is really affecting you negatively.

AppealToReason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 21st, 2011, 08:40 PM   #4
Megson
Member++

Megson's Forum Picture

Quote:
Originally Posted by OptimusPrime View Post
Sounds like you've got the same type of social anxiety as me.
Really? I haven't been diagnosed or anything. I've been coping with it on my own for a while, and I'm uncertain wether or not its actually social anxiety :\
Old September 21st, 2011, 08:42 PM   #5
OptimusPrime
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Megson View Post
Really? I haven't been diagnosed or anything. I've been coping with it on my own for a while, and I'm uncertain wether or not its actually social anxiety :\
So, even though you have the same as me pretty much. You don't think it's social anxiety? So you're saying I don't have social anxiety?
Old September 22nd, 2011, 05:24 AM   #6
Megson
Member++

Megson's Forum Picture

Quote:
So, even though you have the same as me pretty much. You don't think it's social anxiety? So you're saying I don't have social anxiety?
Noo, I wasn't saying that. I'm just now starting to consider if what I have IS social anxiety. Before, I just figured I just didn't have a very great personality or something...
Old September 22nd, 2011, 09:45 PM   #7
Skyhawk
Nice Poster

Skyhawk's Forum Picture

Quote:
Everybody's different...

Megson, seeing a professional can do wonders, they can help you a lot. Just tell your mother you want therapy or something similar.

Hi! I typically don't check back on threads I've posted in.
If you're waiting for a reply from me, then shoot me a PM.
I'll respond shortly.

Skyhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 23rd, 2011, 12:01 AM   #8
Kuervo
Nice Poster

Kuervo's Forum Picture

what you could use is maybe a peer helper, a peer at your school that could help you make friends and improve you social skills. honestly, i was the same way as you, just not as bad (no offense or anything) but there's no reason to be afraid, try to act yourself around other people. i'll give you an example you could use. so let's say theres a person that you would really like to be friends with. if you walk by pass each other you should give a smile and wave/say hi. i still have this issue and i lack social skills but even if im really afraid i always do it because i gather up my courage and do my best and act myself.

i feel as if what i wrote made no sense at all. sorry for rambling on, hope this helped somehow
Kuervo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 23rd, 2011, 03:29 PM   #9
Megson
Member++

Megson's Forum Picture

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogue View Post
Everybody's different...

Megson, seeing a professional can do wonders, they can help you a lot. Just tell your mother you want therapy or something similar.
How can I go about asking for therapy? It's a strange subject to even bring up, let alone ask for.

Also, what if she doesn't believe me? My anxiety is at its worst when I'm at school, but I'm completely open at home. That should be expected, I know, but still. It's what she SEES.
Old September 23rd, 2011, 03:31 PM   #10
OptimusPrime
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Megson View Post
Noo, I wasn't saying that. I'm just now starting to consider if what I have IS social anxiety. Before, I just figured I just didn't have a very great personality or something...
I guess I misread. Sorry!
Old September 23rd, 2011, 03:56 PM   #11
Kaius
Banned

Name: Aaron

It sounds like you've also got that in common with me. As the others have said you need to see someone about it, though with your obvious shyness that may prove as an issue. How about writing a letter with how you feel on it? Its best not to go by internet diagnosis's cause alot of the time they can be wrong and 99% of the time everything you look at you'll most probably have at least 3-4 symptoms of. Go talk to your parents and see if they can help you find someone
Kaius is offline   Reply With Quote