Go Back   Virtual Teen Forums > >
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read Chat Room

Old October 10th, 2014, 02:58 AM   #21
Karkat
Knight of Blood

Karkat's Forum Picture

Name: Ren Hek
Default Re: weight

I've only been in the normal BMI range for roughly 3-6 months of my life, aside from maaaaybe the youngest part of childhood and birth. I was never so underweight that it was a medical concern, partially because A. half the doctors I went to were idiots, and B. The time I was at my worst was also when I was most isolated from medical care.

I was 85lb at 15 because of drinking habits, eating habits, and muscular atrophy. My body was beginning to eat away at itself.

I've never been overweight.

Just a ghost

Nothing to see here
Karkat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 10th, 2014, 03:46 AM   #22
Mob Boss
Awesome Poster

Mob Boss's Forum Picture

Name: Bridge

Good to hear you are now a healthy weight. I think nearly everyone experiences noticeable weight fluctuations. And even though I feel your last sentence was simply to show that your body has a mind of it's own, I wouldn't recommend starving or binging to the point of puking. Stay healthy, yo.
Mob Boss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 2nd, 2014, 01:21 AM   #23
Yolanda0520
Banned

Name: Yolanda

i want to lose weight but i think it had better exercise
Yolanda0520 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 4th, 2014, 01:50 PM   #24
Lulex

Lulex's Forum Picture

Name: Lu

I'm normalweight, and i've been severely underweight.
Also, I've been at a weight which I used to find 'chubby' (It wasn't, I was BMI 20-21. That's body dismorphia guys.).

I'm on the pursuit of happiness.
Lulex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 4th, 2014, 02:02 PM   #25
wonderland

I'm currently overweight and although I have been trying to loose weight for the past few years it's never came to anything.
wonderland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 5th, 2014, 04:46 AM   #26
geraldgreen12
Banned

I'm average weight too!
geraldgreen12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 1st, 2015, 05:15 AM   #27
amgb
Awesome Poster

I'm average weight as well but I'm not happy with it : (

Raise your words, not voice. It is {light} rain that grows flowers, not thunder. ― Jalaluddin Rumi

Last edited by amgb; January 1st, 2015 at 06:53 PM.
amgb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 1st, 2015, 10:51 AM   #28
Abhorrence
Death

Abhorrence's Forum Picture

I used to be really underweight, like up until last year I was always underweight especially for my height. Now I'm a healthy weight, still on the lower side but my BMI is healthy now. I literally just never used to eat, I didn't like food at all.

Nothing will be waiting for you at the end of this life.

Ask // Private Message
~Mike was here~
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elysium
Spooky scary labia
Abhorrence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 1st, 2015, 11:01 AM   #29
thetransylvanianguy
Junior Member+

thetransylvanianguy's Forum Picture

Name: You can call me Alex.

I am currently in the 'normal' range of weight,I try to keep eating healthy foods as much as possible (temptation is everywhere! sometimes,I don't resist it either...). Junk food (like hamburgers or any other processed foods) is a 'privilege' I enjoy once in months,though. If a teen has health issues like diabetes,I would advise him/her to go to a doctor in order to obtain a nutrition plan.
thetransylvanianguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 1st, 2015, 11:08 AM   #30
thedillestofpickles

thedillestofpickles's Forum Picture

Name: Michael ;3
Talking Re: weight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cisel View Post
I was really fat when I was younger and got bullied for it which led to a lot of body image issues. It came off a bit as I got older and I started working out a lot and changed my diet in an effort to lose weight and lost 15 pounds since February of this year. I'm 5'7" and 150 pounds but according to my BMI I'm obese -_-
This, unfortunately, is not true. I have reasons to back it up.
a) I've calculated your BMI; 23.5. A normal BMI is anywhere from 18-24.9. Obesity is anywhere from 30 and above.
b) I, at 13, myself am also standing at a height of 5'7" and weigh 170 pounds. I have a BMI of 26.6, which, matter-of-factly, is just a bit over the "overweight" category.

All the best wishes,
TheDillestOfPickles

"If music be the fuel of the soul, by all means, play on." ~William Shakespeare
thedillestofpickles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 9th, 2015, 12:14 PM   #31
Ninni
Banned

Name: Sabrina

i was allways on normal weight, till i quit gymnastics, i became quite chubby, but i do a lot of other sports now an am severely underweight and i feel fine
Ninni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 11th, 2015, 11:11 PM   #32
twirlgurl

twirlgurl's Forum Picture

Here's my typical sisters rant (she's a personal trainer) that ive heard 1,000,000 times:

When it come to fitness and health, Weight doesnt matter - size matters!! If you look in the mirror, you arent seeing weight, you are seeing size. Size also doesnt fluxuate as much as weight, so you remain happy about yourself longer. So when you're thinking about "health and fitness" -- Measure your SIZE and ignore weight.

BMI is kind of a misleading scale and its about a century old too. I think we've advanced a bit since then. lol. Someone that is physically strong would also have a higher then "normal" range BMI because of lean muscle. A pregnant woman and a 250 lb body builder guy with like 4% body fat would both be called "obese" according to BMI.

Plus someone in a healthly BMI range could be a completely UN-fit couch potato. So...its not about health either. its just "average" number that is pretty meaningless when it comes to health.
twirlgurl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 11th, 2015, 11:44 PM   #33
CharlieHorse
VT Lover

CharlieHorse's Forum Picture

Name: Charlie
Location: The "Tech Capital of the World" which for some reason, still has shitty internet speeds

I've always been a little overweight, not so much. 10-20 pounds.
I am pretty muscular though (underneath a layer of "soft" as i say ). I have a short body and long legs. (6' even) Most of my weight is in leg muscle and fat. I seem pretty normal as a whole I suppose.

I have found my weight to be really stubborn. I can eat a lot and not gain anything, or I can diet for a few months and lose nothing.
I don't worry about my weight much.

Hi everyone
Visit my diary The Everfree Forest
Ask me
Ask Charlie
CharlieHorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 12th, 2015, 10:08 PM   #34
twirlgurl

Why diet at all? Just work out. like lifting and stuff.
Old January 14th, 2015, 10:16 PM   #35
Cisel

Cisel's Forum Picture

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedillestofpickles View Post
This, unfortunately, is not true. I have reasons to back it up.
a) I've calculated your BMI; 23.5. A normal BMI is anywhere from 18-24.9. Obesity is anywhere from 30 and above.
b) I, at 13, myself am also standing at a height of 5'7" and weigh 170 pounds. I have a BMI of 26.6, which, matter-of-factly, is just a bit over the "overweight" category.

All the best wishes,
TheDillestOfPickles
Yes, I understand now. In my fitness gram I was in the 99th percentile for my age group. At that time I was 165 pounds, but that still shouldn't classify as obese (?)

Most girls aren't this muscular
My guilty pleasure is cliche 90s songs
Cisel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 14th, 2015, 10:26 PM   #36
TheN3rdyOutcast
Awesome Poster

Name: Willis

I've never been under or averageweight, in fact, I'm noticably fat by anyone's measure, but I don't mind much because it has benefits. I'm been told by my friends that I'm cuddly to hug, I need fewer layers in the winter, and most importantly it scares off offenders. 250+ lbs + 6'0 stature + Huge hands and feet = Don't mess with that guy.
TheN3rdyOutcast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 20th, 2015, 06:33 PM   #37
CuteGuy889
Great Poster

Name: vicky

Yeah...I am just gettting a little chubby after being skinny all my life and still underweight a bit altho I'm skinny fat......MY GF also says I am more cuddly now that I've got a layer of fat....In fact that why she encourgaed and got me to gain 20 KG!!! in just 2y...And i no longer look lyk a skinny mouse and nobody bullys me

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheN3rdyOutcast View Post
I've never been under or averageweight, in fact, I'm noticably fat by anyone's measure, but I don't mind much because it has benefits. I'm been told by my friends that I'm cuddly to hug, I need fewer layers in the winter, and most importantly it scares off offenders. 250+ lbs + 6'0 stature + Huge hands and feet = Don't mess with that guy.
CuteGuy889 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 21st, 2015, 04:08 PM   #38
Deleted User
Legendary Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cisel View Post
Yes, I understand now. In my fitness gram I was in the 99th percentile for my age group. At that time I was 165 pounds, but that still shouldn't classify as obese (?)
You don't classify as obese at all. I am 5'7" and 155lbs (bordering on getting to to 160lbs). I am by no means obese. I have people who come up to me and ask how I stay so skinny ("Oh, you must only weigh like 120lbs!") and then are shocked when they hear I'm nearly 40lbs heavier than they think I am.

I'm also very athletically-built (for a non-athelete) and I can put on weight and it's either muscle or just other random fat that's luckily distributed itself fairly evenly.

As for the OP's question: I suffered from anorexia for years. I never sought professional help because I was too ashamed and scared but I had a few good friends who helped me out and made sure I was eating. When I started going into recovery with other things, I took some of my coping mechanisms I'd learned and applied it to my eating disorder.

I had a BMI of I think 17.8 at the time and the criteria for anorexia is 17.5. Honestly? Still underweight by a fair bit and my behaviours around food were severely unhealthy and obsessive. Now I'm back up to 24.3 but I don't really pay much attention to BMI since it's dated and not very accurate.

Other than that, I've never really had weight problems. I've always been fairly average.
Deleted User is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 21st, 2015, 06:55 AM   #39
EricCirulis

I had heavy weight issue but now i am completely changed due to my workout routine. I have reduced lot of weight during these few months. Exercise is very important for good fitness and health.

Last edited by EricCirulis; February 26th, 2015 at 02:16 AM.
EricCirulis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 22nd, 2015, 03:11 PM   #40
twirlgurl

Quote:
Originally Posted by xXl0sth0peXx View Post
By that bullshit bmi scale, I guess you could say I've been borderline obese and borderline underweight, and I won't say what it is now (hint: it's not the first one) but frankly it's not true. It's a fake scale.

Everyone here is beautiful, no matter what. Love yourself.
You sound like my sister. LOL (she's a personal trainer and gets SOOO angry when people talk about BMI. ) You're right. BMI is a BS scale and a pretty pointless one too.

Weight is actually a measurement of gravity anyway. SIZE is a measurement of yourself. You see "size" in the mirror. Size determines how clothing fits. Weight is kind of stupid when talking about fitness. In fact, many top gymnasts weigh more then many think. mostly because they are lean muscle mass with ~10-14% total bodyfat. They may look skinny, but again, how they look is about size - not weight.

So if you want to change your appearance, measure size with a cloth tape measure and work on that part. You can throw the bathroom scale away. its pretty meaningless when it comes to actual fitness.