Virtual Teen Forums

Go Back   Virtual Teen Forums > > >
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read Chat Room

Closed Thread

Old January 2nd, 2009, 02:14 PM   #1
chris87
Frozen

Default Should I get screened for ADHD?

I have been thinking about asking my Psychiatrist if I could get tested for ADHD. I've tried to bring up the topic a couple of times, but for some reason, I just never end up doing it. I guess I feel uncomfortable, because the few times I have mentioned it, he explains how it is "overdiagnosed." He then goes on to describe hyperactive children, but from what I read, ADHD isn't limited to strictly hyperactivity.

I'm 21 and in college. I have OCD and some anxiety issues, which makes life pretty challenging. I have this overwhelming desire for perfection, but I can never meet those standards, because I am so disorganized. I feel like if I didn't have OCD though, I would have major problems. I'm nearly certain the OCD (and the resulting desire for perfection) is one of the main motivating factors that actually makes me somewhat productive.

My bedroom is a disaster. I have clothes all over the place as well as countless papers. When I actually need something, I can't find it. I hate the disorganization, but I just can't seem to make it neat. For school, I have one folder with every single paper, even though my OCD traits would love for me to organize everything. I just can't do it.

I also procrastinate horribly. A few weeks ago, I should have been studying for my Statistics final. I hadn't even opened the book, even though I had been off from school for the last two days and the final was the next morning. If I do try to study, most of the time I can't focus at all. I just want to get up and do something else. I usually get up every five minutes, put on music, and move around, as dumb as that sounds. I had actually tried walking around while reading my textbook to see if it helped at all. I also check my e-mail excessively and waste an hour or two browsing the internet. Most of the time, if I start something at 3:00 PM in the afternoon, I have barely made any progress by 2:00 AM. It's amazing how little I accomplish, even though I feel like I should be able to do a lot in 11 hours. My most productive studying seems to be 1 hour before the exam. Sometimes I'll do well, and other times I won't. I know that I could do a lot better, if only I could study. I also had to write a 7 page paper for one of my classes, which I started the night before. No matter how hard I try, I can't seem to have productive thinking unless I am facing a time constraint. Surprisingly, my grades are pretty good, but I have this strong feeling of underachievement. I feel like even though I've done well, I could have done so much better had I been more focused. Speaking of focusing, I seem to have quite a bit of trouble learning material in class. I usually have to learn everything the night before the test. If I'm not interested in the subject, or it's complicated, I end up cramming at the last minute. It's difficult for me to sit there and study without having an overwhelming urge to do something else...I'm never in an intense study mode and am constantly thinking about something else.

In general, I procrastinate a lot. I've been meaning to mail thank you notes from my birthday, which was back in November. I have the thank you cards, but I just can never get around to writing them. I literally procrastinate with everything. I should have scheduled classes for my next semester three weeks ago, but I still haven't finished choosing them, and I go back to school on Monday.

I don't seem to have any hyperactivity.

I am sure that there are other things, but I can't think of them right now. Is it worthwhile to mention this to my doctor? I just don't want to look stupid, and him be like "that's definitely not characteristic of ADHD." I appreciate any input.
Old January 2nd, 2009, 02:18 PM   #2
Atonement
Daily Adventurer

Atonement's Forum Picture

Name: Addison
Default Re: Should I get screened for ADHD?

I would trust your psychiatrist. He is a professional. ADHD is over diagnosed, he's right. In my personal opinion (I am no doctor), you sound like a perfectionist which often deals with anxiety and acute OCD but you don't sound ADHD, but again, I am not a doctor. I can't hurt to get tested, so if you feel its necessary, go for it.

User banned

All you need is love.
Closed Thread