Virtual Teen Forums

Go Back   Virtual Teen Forums > >
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read Chat Room

View Poll Results: What is your religion?
Agnosticism 139 13.43%
Atheism 312 30.14%
Buddhism 12 1.16%
Christianity (Please Specify) 412 39.81%
Hinduism 9 0.87%
Islam 33 3.19%
Judaism 17 1.64%
Wicca 17 1.64%
Other (Please Specify) 84 8.12%
Voters: 1035. You may not vote on this poll

Old April 27th, 2011, 05:44 PM   #1941
anonymous53
Banned

Default Re: Religion

It's quite hard to explain what I am. I guess it would be atheist.
anonymous53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 28th, 2011, 01:54 AM   #1942
Death
Awesome Poster

Death's Forum Picture

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sith Lord 13 View Post
Thor is Norse, not Greek.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blake1994 View Post
Thor wasn't a Greek God. He was a Norse God.
Okay, so I confused a Greek god with a Norse god, sorry. But, my point (which has still not been addressed) still stands.

Quote:
And you know nothing about my family or my family views, so think what you like dude.
I never claimed I did. But you are coming into a debate forum and refusing to justify yourself. Do you expect people to take your 'argument' seriously?

Quote:
Originally Posted by embers View Post
A place to debate and discuss your ideas. If you haven't noticed, this is a poll asking people what their beliefs are - not to justify them.
I would respond to this, but Apparitions (glad to have you back, by the way ), has very kindly explained:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apparitions View Post
In case you haven't yet realised, the thread has evolved (O LOOK, EVOLUTION...) into one where people debate and justify shit. If you can't handle your beliefs being questioned, why state them in the first place?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donkey View Post
Perhaps the entire argument [the death penalty] can be summarised in just a sentence.

We kill people who kill people to show others that killing is wrong.
Death is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 28th, 2011, 10:54 AM   #1943
deadpie
S̈́ea Wolf Levḯathaחי

deadpie's Forum Picture

Name: Damien Ark

Quote:
It's a big part of it. But I'm pretty happy with it. I'm not devout Catholic, but I am happy with my religion.
So you just believe in what you're told to believe without any other reasoning or questioning of the belief itself? What can you bring to the table to maybe prove your religion is true? I mean, this is a debate room, so I'm interested in any proof or evidence you have.

Really I'm sick of people just going in this thread saying, "I'm Atheist", "I'm Catholic", etc... and then getting bothered that they're being debated. Why would you even post in here in the first place? Do you not realize you're probably going to have someone debating and asking you questions?

Pardon me for not wanting this to be another pointless survey thread, but actually have it somewhat interesting or make people think, but then again I don't think in the slightest sense that I've made a single religious person here think. Why? Because they don't want to listen to anything that tackles their beliefs. They try to shut off anything that might harm their faith.

If you're not going to listen to the other sides of the debate you shouldn't be debating and if you're not going to have a point in your debate then that's just stupid.

End statement.

deadpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 28th, 2011, 12:21 PM   #1944
Blake1994

Blake1994's Forum Picture

Name: Blake

Quote:
Originally Posted by deadpie View Post
So you just believe in what you're told to believe without any other reasoning or questioning of the belief itself? What can you bring to the table to maybe prove your religion is true?
WRONG. I am not told to believe in anything. I believe what I believe because I CHOOSE TO BELIEVE IT. I have never tried to prove my religion is right. I've never ever thought that, and I'm not trying to bring anything to the table. I simply said my religion is Roman Catholic, because this thread was a survey thing from what I first saw. I admit I did not take the time to read through the miles of postings in this thread. I obviously did not realize this had become a debate thread. I have nothing to prove, and I'm not going to argue or debate my beliefs with anyone. I don't criticize you or anyone else for what you believe, so accept it.

END OF DISCUSSION.

BLAKE

DON'T MESS WITH TEXAS!
Blake1994 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 28th, 2011, 01:27 PM   #1945
Death
Awesome Poster

Death's Forum Picture

Quote:
WRONG. I am not told to believe in anything. I believe what I believe because I CHOOSE TO BELIEVE IT.
And here was me thinking you said you were brought up to believe it. But then me expecting you to keep your story straight is probably naive. I mean really, there's a reason you have pretty negative reputation.

Quote:
I have never tried to prove my religion is right. I've never ever thought that, and I'm not trying to bring anything to the table.
This is the one thing you're supposed to do in a debate forum. If you're not going to do this, kindly leave. However, I'd rather you swallow your pride and actually addressed my points I made to you despite them questioning your 'unquestionable' (as fucking if) beliefs.

Quote:
I simply said my religion is Roman Catholic, because this thread was a survey thing from what I first saw. I admit I did not take the time to read through the miles of postings in this thread.
Yes, I get that, but the ability to adapt is a good trait. Giving up, when things don't turn out as you expected, just like this won't be a good outlook later in life.

Quote:
I have nothing to prove
Look at my signature. See that? It's the flying spaghetti monster. And you know what, it exists! What evidence do I have? None! But I expect people to take its existence seriously anyway. If you are going to make a claim, the burden of proof lies on you. If this wasn't the case, we'd have to believe any old crap from any person just because they say it.

Quote:
END OF DISCUSSION.
Does that mean you'll ignore us? I sure hope not.

Quote:
Perhaps the entire argument [the death penalty] can be summarised in just a sentence.

Old April 28th, 2011, 02:14 PM   #1946
Apparitions
Nice Poster

Apparitions's Forum Picture

Name: Dan

I wish we'd get more religious people on this thread that are ready to explain/debate their beliefs. It will get boring very quickly if all people do is say what religion they are and refuse to explain why, despite the very low probability of it being true, they are part of a religion and are sure their God exists etc. What happened to people like that guy with 'Reverend' in his username who continually quoted Bible passages?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Death View Post
Apparitions (glad to have you back, by the way )
O HAI THERE, BRO !

Apparitions is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 28th, 2011, 02:17 PM   #1947
Death
Awesome Poster

Death's Forum Picture

Quote:
I wish we'd get more religious people on this thread that are ready to explain/debate their beliefs. It will get boring very quickly if all people do is say what religion they are and refuse to explain why, despite the very low probability of it being true, they are part of a religion and are sure their God exists etc.
I. Couldn't. Agree. More.

Quote:

Old April 28th, 2011, 06:31 PM   #1948
Iceman
Awesome Poster

Iceman's Forum Picture

Name: Tyler

Quote:
WRONG. I am not told to believe in anything. I believe what I believe because I CHOOSE TO BELIEVE IT. I have never tried to prove my religion is right. I've never ever thought that, and I'm not trying to bring anything to the table. I simply said my religion is Roman Catholic, because this thread was a survey thing from what I first saw. I admit I did not take the time to read through the miles of postings in this thread. I obviously did not realize this had become a debate thread. I have nothing to prove, and I'm not going to argue or debate my beliefs with anyone. I don't criticize you or anyone else for what you believe, so accept it.

END OF DISCUSSION.
This is a debate thread. THe discussion will go on without you as VT isn't all about you. Now if you choose not to accept criticism then please do not post in the debate thread.

Oh and back to the thread, I'm agnostic.

~Ron
"Get the lut og mu sight"

Idol <3

"I am the maker of rules, dealing with fools..."
Iceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 28th, 2011, 07:12 PM   #1949
embers
Banned

Name: Hoshino

Quote:
I wish we'd get more religious people on this thread that are ready to explain/debate their beliefs. It will get boring very quickly if all people do is say what religion they are and refuse to explain why, despite the very low probability of it being true, they are part of a religion and are sure their God exists etc.
This. I do want a good discussion with a religious person.

I am a pantheist of some sorts in that I believe the universe and what's out there should be considered more important than the main religions, which are mainly just holding us back in so many areas of study. Also, I hold the universe and everything in very high regards because of its beautiful complexity. But I like to challenge mono/polytheists because I see no reason to believe in the God(s) of a religion, or a creator.
embers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 28th, 2011, 08:16 PM   #1950
Blake1994

Quote:
And here was me thinking you said you were brought up to believe it. But then me expecting you to keep your story straight is probably naive. I mean really, there's a reason you have pretty negative reputation.

This is the one thing you're supposed to do in a debate forum. If you're not going to do this, kindly leave. However, I'd rather you swallow your pride and actually addressed my points I made to you despite them questioning your 'unquestionable' (as fucking if) beliefs.

Yes, I get that, but the ability to adapt is a good trait. Giving up, when things don't turn out as you expected, just like this won't be a good outlook later in life.

Look at my signature. See that? It's the flying spaghetti monster. And you know what, it exists! What evidence do I have? None! But I expect people to take its existence seriously anyway. If you are going to make a claim, the burden of proof lies on you. If this wasn't the case, we'd have to believe any old crap from any person just because they say it.

Does that mean you'll ignore us? I sure hope not.
DUDE, JUST GIVE IT A REST. You can keep trying to argue with me all you want, but I'm not changing my mind on anything. My views are my views, and your views are your views. End of story. I do not need to justify anything about what I think or believe to anyone, especially you. Oh, and I could care less about your Flying Spaghetti Monster. I really don't give a damn. Worry about you and I'll worry about me.

BLAKE

DON'T MESS WITH TEXAS!
Old April 28th, 2011, 08:22 PM   #1951
Vonn
Awesome Poster

Vonn's Forum Picture

Quote:
DUDE, JUST GIVE IT A REST. You can keep trying to argue with me all you want, but I'm not changing my mind on anything. My views are my views, and your views are your views. End of story. I do not need to justify anything about what I think or believe to anyone, especially you. Oh, and I could care less about your Flying Spaghetti Monster. I really don't give a damn. Worry about you and I'll worry about me.
You don't want to or you're unable to?
Vonn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 28th, 2011, 08:25 PM   #1952
Iceman
Awesome Poster

Iceman's Forum Picture

Name: Tyler

Let's cool this down a little big guys. Part of being a good debate is respecting other people's views also. As you expect him to respect the Flying Spaghetti Monster, you need to respect who he sees as God.

~Ron
"Get the lut og mu sight"

Idol <3

"I am the maker of rules, dealing with fools..."
Iceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 28th, 2011, 08:25 PM   #1953
Blake1994

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crooked View Post
You don't want to or you're unable to?
I REFUSE TO.

I refuse to answer to anyone about my personal beliefs. I am done with this thread.

BLAKE

DON'T MESS WITH TEXAS!
Old April 28th, 2011, 09:45 PM   #1954
jokoko

Hey, I am a Christian. To specify, I believe what is written in the Nicean creed.

"We believe in one God,
the Father, the Almighty,
maker of heaven and earth,
of all that is, seen and unseen.*
We believe in one Lord, Jesus Christ,
the only Son of God,
eternally begotten of the Father,
God from God, Light from Light,
true God from true God,
begotten, not made,
of one Being with the Father.
Through him all things were made.
For us and for our salvation
he came down from heaven:
by the power of the Holy Spirit
he became incarnate from the Virgin Mary,
and was made man.
For our sake he was crucified under Pontius Pilate;
he suffered death and was buried.
On the third day he rose again
in accordance with the Scriptures;
he ascended into heaven
and is seated at the right hand of the Father.
He will come again in glory to judge the living and the dead,
and his kingdom will have no end.*

We believe in the Holy Spirit, the Lord, the giver of life,
who proceeds from the Father and the Son.
With the Father and the Son he is worshiped and glorified.
He has spoken through the Prophets.
We believe in one holy ... Church.
We acknowledge one baptism for the forgiveness of sins.
We look for the resurrection of the dead,
and the life of the world to come."

As for why I believe this, let me give it to you in parts. First, the reason I believe the world was created is because nothing can come out of nonexistence, and because if the universe has, in fact, always been here then I wonder at how there are stars that still burn and how entropy hasn't worn all activity away. This is my reason for a God, but at this point I am still at the level of a deist. The reason I believe in a God that is intimately involved with his creation is that we, humans, all have a sense of right and wrong, a sense of how we should behave. If the creator of the universe wasn't personally involved with us, he wouldn't really care about how we behaved and wouldn't have given us this sense of good and bad (in terms of morality). And to avoid an avalanche of questions and refutes, I will pause here to answer/reply to your questions/arguments that I know are just itching to spew from your debate loving selves. Also, please be respectful and try not to be caustic in your replies. This forum is for people to share what they believe and why, not for people to harass others for thinking differently.
jokoko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 28th, 2011, 10:03 PM   #1955
Rainstorm
Awesome Poster

Rainstorm's Forum Picture

Name: Mike

Let me ask you a question, jokoko.

Do you find God as an infinite being or that he has been in human forms?

http://i306.photobucket.com/albums/nn243/Sorakun13/hunger-games-mockingjay-fire-600x251.jpg

May the Odds be ever in your favor
Rainstorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 28th, 2011, 10:12 PM   #1956
Drake14

Drake14's Forum Picture

Name: Drake

Atheism isn't a religion, but ok. I chose that.
Drake14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 28th, 2011, 10:16 PM   #1957
deadpie
S̈́ea Wolf Levḯathaחי

deadpie's Forum Picture

Name: Damien Ark

Quote:
Originally Posted by jokoko View Post
As for why I believe this, let me give it to you in parts. First, the reason I believe the world was created is because nothing can come out of nonexistence
The good ol' something can't come from nothing debate. Well, that's not what the big bang theory claims. Creationists just like to jump to conclusions and skim through things pretending they know that they're talking/debating about. John Dalton also said that "atoms can’t be created nor destroyed", so that means there has always been something, right? Also, something can come from nothing in the case of quantum physics and virtual particles.

I saw this somewhere on a blog a long time ago -
"Something uncaused = caused by nothing??
If God is uncaused = caused by nothing??"

(sarcasm) Oh, something can't be uncaused, except God. Only God and nothing else. (end sarcasm)

deadpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 29th, 2011, 02:49 AM   #1958
Death
Awesome Poster

Death's Forum Picture

Quote:
Originally Posted by Socko View Post
Let's cool this down a little big guys. Part of being a good debate is respecting other people's views also. As you expect him to respect the Flying Spaghetti Monster, you need to respect who he sees as God.
Just to clarify, I don't believe in the flying spaghetti monster so I don't expect him to be respected. I was using that as a debate tactic only.

Quote:
DUDE, JUST GIVE IT A REST. You can keep trying to argue with me all you want, but I'm not changing my mind on anything. My views are my views, and your views are your views. End of story. I do not need to justify anything about what I think or believe to anyone,
Like you gave it a rest in this topic? But that's beside the point. Why do you hold your views? And why are you trying to withdraw reason in a debate forum? I honestly want you to have a proper argument on this one. Don't just give up your position because I know you must be able to say something.

Quote:
especially you.
Is this a personal attack I'm sensing? Why? What's special about us? What's wrong with atheism in your eyes?

Quote:
Oh, and I could care less about your Flying Spaghetti Monster.
So you do care about my flying spaghetti monster then?

EDIT: Oh my god, you actually PMed me saying:

"Go get fucked and stop living your pathetic, sad, pitiful excuse of a life on a website. Judging by the amount of posts you've made on this site, that's apparently all you do with your life. Or better yet why don't you go fuck the magical flying spaghetti monster you little Limey Shit."

Well that explains everything.

Quote:

Last edited by Death; April 29th, 2011 at 03:06 AM.
Old April 29th, 2011, 03:12 AM   #1959
Magus
Mercurai's Priestess

Magus's Forum Picture

Name: Fae, The Witch

Quote:
"Go get fucked and stop living your pathetic, sad, pitiful excuse of a life on a website. Judging by the amount of posts you've made on this site, that's apparently all you do with your life. Or better yet why don't you go fuck the magical flying spaghetti monster you little Limey Shit."

Well that explains everything.
Oh my god. I laughed so fucking hard on that one.
Magus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 29th, 2011, 03:16 AM   #1960
Death
Awesome Poster

Death's Forum Picture

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electric Nomad View Post
Oh my god. I laughed so fucking hard on that one.
LOL, I know, right? If only more people would actually make proper debates against me instead of just trolling. This thread would be so much better. I'm not even joking.

Quote: