Go Back   Virtual Teen Forums > >
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read Chat Room

Old August 3rd, 2019, 07:44 PM   #1
Microcosm
Awesome Poster

Microcosm's Forum Picture

Name: Dan
Default Difficulty deciding career

I'm coming up on my sophomore year of college and I'm having some difficulty deciding what I want to do with my life.

Here are some thoughts I've had:

• Major in Psychology, go to grad school, become counselor.
  • Major in Linguistics/Psychology, become translator/interpreter.
  • Possibly in tandem with either of the above or, if it goes well, just have it be my primary job: Freelance voice over talent.
  • Really far out there: Try to make music for a living or in tandem with one of the other ideas.
My issue is that I am not super into any of these. I like the idea of them, I think. Although, I honestly think my depression is playing a role in this by making it very difficult to feel truly satisified with any profession even if I otherwise would be.

Any advice?

previously anonymousteen14 & Rainbow Dash.
Microcosm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 12th, 2019, 07:28 PM   #2
ska8er
Legendary Member

ska8er's Forum Picture

Name: Andy
Default Re: Difficulty deciding career

If u r good in languages then I would go
and major in Linguistics and become an
interpreter. There r a lot of needs in many
fields right now for them in many ways. You
can always b in music on the side while you
major in a subject.
ska8er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 13th, 2019, 05:20 AM   #3
Microcosm
Awesome Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by ska8er View Post
If u r good in languages then I would go
and major in Linguistics and become an
interpreter. There r a lot of needs in many
fields right now for them in many ways. You
can always b in music on the side while you
major in a subject.
I appreciate your advice.

I've been thinking about this a lot for a while, so it varies between those four a good bit. I think this may be a good compromise plan that sort of tries to mediate between and give a chance to each of the options:

Take a linguistics class before officially choosing my major to see if I like it. If it isn't for me, I can just major in psych and if I really decide I want to become a translator/interpreter later on, just learn languages and do it. In my last two years of college, I'll use my free time to see if I can make a reasonable amount of money doing voice-over and/or making music. If not, no harm is done because I can just major in psych, go to grad school, and be a counselor, which is something I think I would enjoy generally. I've also sort of set myself up along that path in terms of internships and stuff.

I also considered that traveling would likely be a large part of being an interpreter. Since I want to have a wife and kids, I'd want to see them a lot as that's what's most important to me I think. It's either that or be a freelance translator and that would just involve translating boring stuff in a dark room all day. I'm not so sure it's the path I want to go down anymore, but I'll still give it thought as I think it could be a good idea.

Old August 17th, 2019, 01:57 AM   #4
ShyBGGirl

Name: Monika

I am pretty much in the same spot (well I already made my choice).Of course I would advise you to follow your interest first as the job is something you spend most of your time on, so it shouldn't be something you hate. However, here are some thoughts on your choices:
- interpreter - meaning translating live conversation - extremely hard, requires proficiency in the language you choose - you will need definitely more than a semester in the language - more like 5-6 years and a lot of practice and additional courses. Here we are starting learning English (not a native speaker) and other languages in 2nd grade (age 8-9) and continue until graduation and I can definitely say 99.99% cannot make good live interpretation. Until you reach that level it will be the dark room. In addition, consider AI - AI computer translations will be almost perfect in 10 years, at least between the major languages so I don't think it is a very good long term career path.
- Psychology - I think it has best perspective and will not be taken over by AI in the near future and more and more people need it.
Of course music and etc. can always go in parallel - most great rock stars started as bartenders and whatever else you may think about Good look with your choice
ShyBGGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 18th, 2019, 12:46 AM   #5
Microcosm
Awesome Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShyBGGirl View Post
I am pretty much in the same spot (well I already made my choice).Of course I would advise you to follow your interest first as the job is something you spend most of your time on, so it shouldn't be something you hate. However, here are some thoughts on your choices:
- interpreter - meaning translating live conversation - extremely hard, requires proficiency in the language you choose - you will need definitely more than a semester in the language - more like 5-6 years and a lot of practice and additional courses. Here we are starting learning English (not a native speaker) and other languages in 2nd grade (age 8-9) and continue until graduation and I can definitely say 99.99% cannot make good live interpretation. Until you reach that level it will be the dark room. In addition, consider AI - AI computer translations will be almost perfect in 10 years, at least between the major languages so I don't think it is a very good long term career path.
- Psychology - I think it has best perspective and will not be taken over by AI in the near future and more and more people need it.
Of course music and etc. can always go in parallel - most great rock stars started as bartenders and whatever else you may think about Good look with your choice
Hey Monika. Thanks for your advice.

I think you're absolutely right about the interpreter thing. I feel like there isn't really enough time for me to make that really work and also I think I just want to do psychology more. Mental health is something I deeply care about and being an interpreter has just sort of been an idea floating around mostly because I think I'm pretty good with learning languages in general.

I think I'll try dabbling in music and voice-over in the last two years of college or so. If I don't get a foothold in those, then it's no biggie. Psych would be fine and enjoyable.

Old August 18th, 2019, 10:30 PM   #6
lliam
VT Lover

lliam's Forum Picture

Name: Liam
Location: The new ground on the hill with the Pacific beach nearby and the great wild beyond.

I would say your focus at college should be always on what matters most to you. But if you don't want to give up all the other, you can still take appropriate courses, provided they don't conflict with the requirements of your major studies.

For a long time my focus has been on industrial design or product design. Therefore, during my years in senior high, I took parallel running and appropriate basic courses at college.

During this time, I found out that I'm more interested in the artistic, general area of design, because education here seemed to be more creative and versatile to me.

That's why product design now is only a minor subject at uni. Also the university where I applied and was accepted, is strictly a university for art and design. Similar programs at other universities made me feel that design study programs there are aligned too technical.

"Life is that prison you'll never leave alive."

lliam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 19th, 2019, 06:16 AM   #7
Katie2003
Awesome Poster

Name: Katelynn

The field of psychology has basically unlimited opportunities, in places you might not even think of. Given the emotional and mental health issues I have experienced in my own life, I'm convinced that's what I am destined to go into as a career, probably as a therapist or counselor for troubled teens.

My mom has a PhD in behavioral psychology and started out after college working in the school system mostly with elementary grade students. Then an opportunity came along to be director of a rather large nursing home. Maybe you wouldn't think of a behavioral psychologist being needed in a nursing home, but mom says it's the perfect job for her and she uses her skills every day.
Katie2003 is offline   Reply With Quote