Go Back   Virtual Teen Forums > >
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read Chat Room

Old August 16th, 2019, 10:19 AM   #1
PlasmaHam
Awesome Poster

Default Make Greenland Great Again!

https://www.cnn.com/2019/08/15/polit...nal/index.html
Quote:
Washington (CNN)President Donald Trump has on multiple occasions brought up buying Greenland from the Danish government and the White House counsel's office has looked into the possibility, two sources told CNN on Thursday.

The island's government, however, said in a statement Friday it's not going to happen: "Greenland is not for sale."

Trump's interest in buying Greenland was first reported on Thursday by The Wall Street Journal. The Journal reported that people familiar with the deliberations said the President has raised the issue during meetings and dinners, asking aides and listening seriously about the possibility and advantages of owning Greenland. He also asked his White House counsel to research the matter, according to two of the people...
No one really knows if Trump is serious about wanting to buy Greenland, and if so why. However the prevailing theory is that Trump wishes to make the island into the world's largest golf course.
PlasmaHam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 16th, 2019, 05:34 PM   #2
ShineintheDark
Awesome Poster

Name: Magnus
Default Re: Make Greenland Great Again!

It's a dumb story that'll honestly lead to nothing. For one, Greenland has belonged to Denmark for over a millennium and will never pass hands arbitrarily based on money being handed around as well as it's value from fishing and mining being too important to the Danish economy to hand over.

It's a weird story for sure and it certainly did earn a smile when I read it.
ShineintheDark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 16th, 2019, 06:28 PM   #3
Diable rouge
Great Poster

Diable rouge's Forum Picture

Name: Pseudo

While it makes sense from a US strategic point of view, if Trump seriously considered it, he would be even more stupid than I thought.
Diable rouge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 16th, 2019, 07:46 PM   #4
TristanM
Member+

TristanM's Forum Picture

Name: Tristan

He will make it the 18th Green land on his new golf course and since he probably doesn't know Danes from Norwegians (white is white is right, right?), he will make them all citizens so they can work there.
TristanM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 16th, 2019, 11:30 PM   #5
lliam
VT Lover

lliam's Forum Picture

Name: Liam
Location: The new ground on the hill with the Pacific beach nearby and the great wild beyond.

The last deal buying Alaska was a good one, I suppose. So Trump should stick to Russia and ask them for selling Siberia. Or just buy Russia at once.

"Life is that prison you'll never leave alive."

lliam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 17th, 2019, 10:29 AM   #6
Falcons_11
VT Lover

Might me a good or bad idea. After all we brought Alaska (Seward's Folly) from Russia in 1867 for $7.25 million. It turned out to be a reasonable deal. Maybe the purchase of Greenland (Trump's Folly) will turn out the same. Who knows, maybe we will buy Svalbard from Norway too.

"Son, when the Marine Corps wants you to have a wife, you will be issued one!"
Lt. General Lewis Burwell "Chesty" Puller, USMC
Falcons_11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 17th, 2019, 03:30 PM   #7
TristanM
Member+

TristanM's Forum Picture

Name: Tristan

If we buy another country it should have fun residents like penguins and monkeys.
TristanM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 18th, 2019, 09:12 AM   #8
lliam
VT Lover

lliam's Forum Picture

Name: Liam
Location: The new ground on the hill with the Pacific beach nearby and the great wild beyond.

countries where apes look like presidents

"Life is that prison you'll never leave alive."

lliam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 20th, 2019, 10:05 PM   #9
Uniquemind
VT Lover

Isn’t it obvious, this is just my pure alleged speculation of course but it seems to me he wants a demographic change to incorporate more light skinned people into the borders of the USA.

Any business legal opportunities and legal loopholes companies can exploit due to such an acquisition passing, is of course an aggressive yet long term exploitative tempting lure as well for short term profit at the consequences of damaging long term gains for the planet and species 1000+ years from now.

Let me also remind people that acquisition of a territory is NOT the same as statehood. I anticipate confusion by some people as this topic is brought up throughout VT and in our real life conversations.

However it is also a really stupid move because global warming has affected Greenland pretty badly and they’re icey permafrost land is cracking, sinking, and doesn’t seem like a stable place for a business right now. But I hear the air quality is good.
Uniquemind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 20th, 2019, 11:08 PM   #10
Bluegrass
Member+

Name: Mary

Greenland made into a golf course? No way Trump is having to much trouble building a wall that Mexico is not paying for.
Bluegrass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 20th, 2019, 11:25 PM   #11
Zika
Awesome Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uniquemind View Post
Isn’t it obvious, this is just my pure alleged speculation of course but it seems to me he wants a demographic change to incorporate more light skinned people into the borders of the USA.
The residents of Greenland are not the same ethnicity as the lily-White Danes. They are Inuit: Eskimos and American Indians, not a demographic Trump would welcome to the USA. And even if all Greenlanders moved to the US, it would only increase the population by 0.02%.

Trump is bigger than life and so are his ideas. I think him floating the idea of buying Greenland is just about how he thinks big, but shallow.
Zika is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 21st, 2019, 01:12 AM   #12
Uniquemind
VT Lover

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zika View Post
The residents of Greenland are not the same ethnicity as the lily-White Danes. They are Inuit: Eskimos and American Indians, not a demographic Trump would welcome to the USA. And even if all Greenlanders moved to the US, it would only increase the population by 0.02%.

Trump is bigger than life and so are his ideas. I think him floating the idea of buying Greenland is just about how he thinks big, but shallow.
Need I remind you that while that is true, the statements I made above were made in the context of: “yeah but does he know that”.

And given very public gaffe and his exuberant efforts to threaten his former school’s NOT to release his grades, one must question what goes on in his mind, might be heuristic and therefore prone to error and actions predicated on such weak causation.

Another line of speculative inquiry is that he wants to silence Greenland’s voice politically, as the Inuits have been very vocal on global politics with regards to global warming and climate change.

Last edited by Uniquemind; August 21st, 2019 at 03:32 AM.
Old August 21st, 2019, 03:24 AM   #13
Natacha
Awesome Poster

Natacha's Forum Picture

Name: Natacha

Yeah we're not selling
Natacha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 21st, 2019, 01:16 PM   #14
ShineintheDark
Awesome Poster

Name: Magnus

So now it's causing him to cancel diplomatic visits to Denmark. That's sure interesting. Ngl, I thought it was all either a joke or an exaggeration thanks to his ongoing war with media sources that don't exclusively praise him but sure seems real.

That said, let's never let it distract from what we should all REALLY be talking about such as the US government pushing to remove detention restrictions that prevent indefinite detention of children in their 'happy, sunny summer camps' at the border or Trump calling American Jews 'disloyal' for voting Dem
ShineintheDark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 21st, 2019, 05:22 PM   #15
Anneki

Name: Anne

What kind of an idea was that?
Greenland has autonomy and they don't want to sell as well as they did not give access to Chinese mining companies. Trump was btw invited by the Danish queen and she is unpolitical but of course there would be an opportunity to talk to the prime minister
Anneki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 21st, 2019, 05:56 PM   #16
Zika
Awesome Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uniquemind View Post
Need I remind you that while that is true, the statements I made above were made in the context of: “yeah but does he know that”.
haha it's true, that's a very different question then.
Zika is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 21st, 2019, 09:11 PM   #17
KatieCO2003
Nice Poster

KatieCO2003's Forum Picture

Name: Katie

Zaphod Beeblebrox incarnate.
KatieCO2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 22nd, 2019, 03:35 PM   #18
Stevan LT
Member+

Stevan LT's Forum Picture

Name: Stevan

Quote:
Originally Posted by TristanM View Post
If we buy another country it should have fun residents like penguins and monkeys.
Game over

I have more inspiration than expiration
Stevan LT is online now   Reply With Quote
Old August 22nd, 2019, 05:38 PM   #19
Uniquemind
VT Lover

The problem the super wealthy fail to understand is that “buying “ stuff doesn’t solve the core problem of something that isn’t fixable due to a financial problem.

Sure once your the boss you can paycheck-bully those under you to not bad mouth you.

But $$ can’t fix the amazon forest or other natural planetary resources.
Old August 23rd, 2019, 11:35 PM   #20
Diable rouge
Great Poster

Diable rouge's Forum Picture

Name: Pseudo

Well then, by cancelling the state visit he showed he was actually serious. What an idiot.
Diable rouge is offline   Reply With Quote