Go Back   Virtual Teen Forums > >
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read Chat Room

Old March 13th, 2019, 09:36 PM   #1
ArfyMcPeesh
Member++

ArfyMcPeesh's Forum Picture

Name: Arfy
Default Privacy project homework help!

Okay so we have a paper due on privacy and Iíd love some opinions. We just finished Romeo and Juliet. So here are some questions feel free to comment or answer or anything.

1. The relationship between Romeo and Juliet was kept secret due to the nature of the family feud. Why do you think neither side would have accepted the pair? Do you believe that their keeping the relationship private hurt them the longer they kept it private?

2. What are your views on privacy vs. secrecy? Are there things that you keep private and other things which are secret? How do you separate the two? What is an example of something, if you wish to share, that you believe is private for you?

3. Our next book, Noggin, will deal with a person becoming a public figure due to a decision he did not make. Do you believe that people who are in the public eye (celebrities, athletes, politicians, criminals, etc...) deserve more privacy than they are given? Do you think sometimes people regret the loss of their privacy? What, if you wish to share, would you not want to allow the public to see about you that you wish to keep private? Could you handle something secret becoming public? How would you cope with your secret no longer being secret?

4. Romeo and Juliet were tormented by having a relationship which they had to keep from everyone. What do you wish people would be more open (or less judgmental/discriminatory) about? Is there an issue or subject that you would like to have other people be more open about that you wish to discuss? Do you believe that there is something that people fear having in the public eye yet shouldnít?
ArfyMcPeesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 14th, 2019, 07:03 AM   #2
ska8er
Legendary Member

ska8er's Forum Picture

Name: Andy
Default Re: Privacy project homework help!

I think u want someone to do ur homework.
There r a lot of personal things that r private
and best kept secret.

Last edited by ska8er; March 14th, 2019 at 07:06 AM.
ska8er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 14th, 2019, 05:04 PM   #3
ArfyMcPeesh
Member++

Quote:
Originally Posted by ska8er View Post
I think u want someone to do ur homework.
There r a lot of personal things that r private
and best kept secret.
No Iím asking ppl to just give their opinion if they want, the papers half done already, plus I didnít post the rest that are like the easy part. Sry I wasted time.
Old March 14th, 2019, 05:52 PM   #4
ska8er
Legendary Member

ska8er's Forum Picture

Name: Andy

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArfyMcPeesh View Post
No Iím asking ppl to just give their opinion if they want, the papers half done already, plus I didnít post the rest that are like the easy part. Sry I wasted time.
Nothing to b sorry about Arfy.
Hope u get a good grade on ur paper.
ska8er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 14th, 2019, 11:29 PM   #5
Uniquemind
VT Lover

I’ll post my thoughts later, as I am busy with my own homework, but i’ll give a short answer. The answers to almost all of these are nuanced and specific, there is no large concrete governing rule of how to handle each of these situations.

Romeo’s main flaw is he lost himself to a fit of rage after the death of his cousin Mercutio. He should’ve immediately fled given the royal decree said no more fighting between the families. Had he also been smarter Juliet and himself should’ve asked the King for assistance given that all 3 had invested interest in long term peace between the families.
Uniquemind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 16th, 2019, 09:31 AM   #6
ArfyMcPeesh
Member++

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uniquemind View Post
Iíll post my thoughts later, as I am busy with my own homework, but iíll give a short answer. The answers to almost all of these are nuanced and specific, there is no large concrete governing rule of how to handle each of these situations.

Romeoís main flaw is he lost himself to a fit of rage after the death of his cousin Mercutio. He shouldíve immediately fled given the royal decree said no more fighting between the families. Had he also been smarter Juliet and himself shouldíve asked the King for assistance given that all 3 had invested interest in long term peace between the families.
Tysm for your opinion. Yeah Iím not looking for ppl to do my hw but sometimes someone else says stuff and ur like o I get that now.

I agree with u and part of what I wrote I said that their desire for each other clouded their vision and instead of the logical thinking that they could have done they were concerned with keeping their secrets and privacy, and I said sometimes we have to give up privacy and secrecy for our own good even if we donít like it.

Yeah thereís a lot of little things I read that were like why would you do that but then you think about it and u really canít say youíd do things diff bc none of us are in that situation.

Thx for the input!
Old March 16th, 2019, 09:56 AM   #7
KatieCO2003
Nice Poster

KatieCO2003's Forum Picture

Name: Katie

Funny, we read Romeo & Juliet a few weeks ago. I think Shakespeare wrote the play intentionally as a tragedy. And if you look at his other works, the characters are put in situations where "the right choice" isn't clear, but the audience can clearly see that the choice made by the character is definately the wrong one. I don't think that going public with their relationship would have solved anything. Both famlies were entrenched in thier feud. The likely outcome is that Juliette would have been married off to Paris and locked up somewhere.

I read somewhere that it's OK to quit toxic people, even if they're your relatives. You don't have to let people drag you down just because of blood. In the case of R+J, keeping the secret and not making emotional decisions probably would have produced the best outcome... but a rather boring play.

As far as privacy versus secrecy today... it feels like just about everything is tracking and spying on you. Maybe not so much up here in the wilds of Colorado. But when we go to Denver... yeah. Everybody and everything is recording. I buy a dress... 3 days later there's a dress catalog in the mail. And maybe it's just my American perspective, but I find that creepy as F%^k. Like, you can't even find our ranch on a map. How did somebody get my address and mail me a catalog?

I think celebs invite a lot of the invasion of privacy because they want to stay public. They want to be in the news and have people talking about them. But of course, that goes WAY too far. Papparazzi with long lenses, or sticking cameras up people's skirts, etc. IDK, I try to avoid that whole genre' of pop culture. I really don't care about the personal lives of celebs.
KatieCO2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 16th, 2019, 11:40 AM   #8
Uniquemind
VT Lover

You now if their is one good thing about social media’s is that I think it’s allowed people to experience and therefore empathize what celebrities go through with regards to the balance ofwork public Vs private sides of their lives.

I think negative effects of social media we see in life all the time now, is because social media has made everyone potentially “a mini celebrity”. Except legally once you put your image online, you don’t own the rights to it necessarily.

Any media company can come across your pictures, copy them, and use some element of them in their ads, and you’d have no idea. Worst still even if you did attempt to lawyer up that’s time, energy, and money to do so.

I think more negatives have come from social media than positives, and I say that knowing it’s also united people together and provided helpful resources to communities who are peaceful but who are otherwise isolated.

——

Sometimes circumstances force you into the public eye, and it’s not your choice, in that case I think it’s society’s job to respect that person’s privacy as our reaction to them is borderline negative gossip. The trick of these scenarios is to read intentions.

Last edited by Uniquemind; March 16th, 2019 at 12:05 PM.
Uniquemind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 16th, 2019, 01:48 PM   #9
ArfyMcPeesh
Member++

I wrote and maybe I’ll post it here when I’m done that one thing that I wish was different was about relationships and how people on one hand want to be in relationships but then they keep things secret or private. Like it’s so easy to change ur Facebook to in a relationship or make a new Instagram for the relationship. But then ppl ask questions or want to get more details or also complain it’s tmi so it’s hard. I’m still working on that part.

But one good thing about social media is this site and stuff like it bc u can meet ppl and still b a little private but talk abt stuff that’s private like sex but also stuff that isn’t private like books.