Old January 9th, 2019, 08:16 AM   #21
TaCoonaBiKe

Name: Sam
Location: Depths of the atlantic ocean.. yes, we have wifi here
Default Re: Driving Techniques

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natacha View Post
"...you don't want to end up ...."
I don't want to drive 150 through a town in the first place!!
I mean suuure.. I said the same thing D

Crack the throttle
TaCoonaBiKe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 9th, 2019, 09:17 AM   #22
Dmaxd123
Nice Poster

if you get some ice build up in the field from where you have been driving or freeze/thaws just spend some time with the car on the ice to learn the feeling and how the car reacts differently
Dmaxd123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 10th, 2019, 05:42 AM   #23
vBulletlnBoards

vBulletlnBoards's Forum Picture

Name: Chris

Could use some tips as well. I'm going to start taking drivers ed courses next month.
vBulletlnBoards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 11th, 2019, 06:02 AM   #24
TaCoonaBiKe

Quote:
Originally Posted by vBulletlnBoards View Post
Could use some tips as well. I'm going to start taking drivers ed courses next month.
Ever driven a car or a bike?

Crack the throttle
Old January 11th, 2019, 02:08 PM   #25
vBulletlnBoards

vBulletlnBoards's Forum Picture

Name: Chris

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaCoonaBiKe View Post
Ever driven a car or a bike?
A car, sure. I practiced a bit last year.
vBulletlnBoards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 12th, 2019, 05:08 AM   #26
TaCoonaBiKe

Quote:
Originally Posted by vBulletlnBoards View Post
A car, sure. I practiced a bit last year.
That depends on what u need help with

Crack the throttle
Old January 12th, 2019, 05:25 AM   #27
yeehaw
cowboy superstar

yeehaw's Forum Picture

Name: shanie

Like many of the others have said you should definitely try parking - even if it’s trying to manoeuvre the steering wheel by “full locking” it left and right and getting used to how the car feels.

Are you confident with changing gears yet (if it is a manual car)? I still struggle to feel when the car could be in a higher gear and I just need to get used to changing the gear without looking at the gear stick.
yeehaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 12th, 2019, 08:29 AM   #28
Natacha
Nice Poster

Natacha's Forum Picture

Name: Natacha

Quote:
Originally Posted by bougainvillea View Post
Like many of the others have said you should definitely try parking - even if it’s trying to manoeuvre the steering wheel by “full locking” it left and right and getting used to how the car feels.

Are you confident with changing gears yet (if it is a manual car)? I still struggle to feel when the car could be in a higher gear and I just need to get used to changing the gear without looking at the gear stick.
I think you are all right about the parking. It's a good way to get the feel about the size of the car, so I can make use of all the space I've got to work with. And Yes it's manual. Many cars in Denmark are manual. And I don't think it's legal for driving instructors to use automatic
Natacha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 12th, 2019, 05:53 PM   #29
yeehaw
cowboy superstar

yeehaw's Forum Picture

Name: shanie

Quote:
I think you are all right about the parking. It's a good way to get the feel about the size of the car, so I can make use of all the space I've got to work with. And Yes it's manual. Many cars in Denmark are manual. And I don't think it's legal for driving instructors to use automatic
I mostly ask due to the fact that although in the UK most driving instructors have manual cars, there are some specifically to learn in an automatic car. I wasn’t sure if it was the same in Denmark now.
yeehaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 15th, 2019, 07:43 AM   #30
Allover Kelly
Member++

Allover Kelly's Forum Picture

Name: Kelly
Location: Born in Conn. USA moved to FL, then NC now back in Conn. Now live with my Dad's family

I'm learning to drive on dirt roads and parking lots.
Allover Kelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 17th, 2019, 03:21 PM   #31
Sheaman17
Banned

UCLA (Up hill with a Curb Left Always)
Sheaman17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 21st, 2019, 05:44 PM   #32
Allover Kelly
Member++

Allover Kelly's Forum Picture

Name: Kelly
Location: Born in Conn. USA moved to FL, then NC now back in Conn. Now live with my Dad's family

I so love it when we go on farm roads and learn how to drive on them. My Dad is evil when it comes to learning to park. He uses buckets and paper cups. I can't hit the buckets or crush the paper cups. The nice thing is farm cars can be dented and no one cars as they can not go on the legal roads. It is fun driving a VW bug to a farm truck.
Allover Kelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 25th, 2019, 02:46 PM   #33
Natacha
Nice Poster

Natacha's Forum Picture

This weekend I got a Dirtbike to ride on too. A Kawasaki KX85, if anyone's interested. I like to ride it even though it's faster, than I thought it would be.
Old March 25th, 2019, 05:54 PM   #34
Xuan

Xuan's Forum Picture

Name: Xuan

I have been driving since I was 16 and I will be turning 18 in July. The main thing you have to do is stay alert at all times. Now when I say stay alert I just don't mean for yourself, but for all the other crazy drivers around you doing crazy crap. You might be driving along perfectly fine and watching yourself and what is ahead of you and someone on the side of you is reaching for some food in the passenger seat while driving and is about to swerve right into you. You have to be alert for that kinda crap to. Also the many people who drive down the road while texting. Now I am really against this because a girl at my school was killed by a Truck Driver who was texting while driving while she was sitting at a red light and the Truck Driver didn't slow down and plowed into her and pretty much ran over her car going 70 miles per hour killing her and another lady and that ladies little child. So I am pretty against texting while driving and a text can wait in my opinion.

Xuan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 26th, 2019, 10:22 AM   #35
Codeblue

Codeblue's Forum Picture

Name: Eddie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xuan View Post
I have been driving since I was 16 and I will be turning 18 in July. The main thing you have to do is stay alert at all times. Now when I say stay alert I just don't mean for yourself, but for all the other crazy drivers around you doing crazy crap. You might be driving along perfectly fine and watching yourself and what is ahead of you and someone on the side of you is reaching for some food in the passenger seat while driving and is about to swerve right into you. You have to be alert for that kinda crap to. Also the many people who drive down the road while texting. Now I am really against this because a girl at my school was killed by a Truck Driver who was texting while driving while she was sitting at a red light and the Truck Driver didn't slow down and plowed into her and pretty much ran over her car going 70 miles per hour killing her and another lady and that ladies little child. So I am pretty against texting while driving and a text can wait in my opinion.

Its against the law here in PA...but that don't stop people from doing it. I have been lucky to not see many nasty crashes yet in my couple yrs of EMS....but have been told stories such as yours from older coworkers......A TEXT ISN'T WORTH YOUR LIFE OR SOMEONE ELSES.
Codeblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 26th, 2019, 10:42 AM   #36
Xuan

Xuan's Forum Picture

Quote:
Originally Posted by Codeblue View Post
Its against the law here in PA...but that don't stop people from doing it. I have been lucky to not see many nasty crashes yet in my couple yrs of EMS....but have been told stories such as yours from older coworkers......A TEXT ISN'T WORTH YOUR LIFE OR SOMEONE ELSES.
It is against the law here in Maryland as well, but like you said it is done all the time by drivers. It definitely is not worth losing your life over a simple text.

Old March 26th, 2019, 02:55 PM   #37
Natacha
Nice Poster

Natacha's Forum Picture

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xuan View Post
It's against the law in Denmark too. I didn't even consider the possibility of this being legal anywhere...
Old March 26th, 2019, 02:59 PM   #38
Xuan

Xuan's Forum Picture

Quote:
It's against the law in Denmark too. I didn't even consider the possibility of this being legal anywhere...
Don't know if it is legal anywhere, but people still do it all over the place and the police at least here overlook it a lot.

Old March 26th, 2019, 03:02 PM   #39
Natacha
Nice Poster

Natacha's Forum Picture

I only hear police treat texters pretty harshly in Denmark. Other motorists do so too.
Old March 26th, 2019, 03:10 PM   #40
Xuan

Xuan's Forum Picture

Quote:
I only hear police treat texters pretty harshly in Denmark. Other motorists do so too.
That is the way it should be all over the place.