Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read Chat Room

Old December 22nd, 2018, 09:47 PM   #41
Uniquemind
VT Lover

Default Re: Trying to end long discussions inappropriately

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natacha View Post
That is so right. It's often ME ME ME, when it's supposed to be WE WE WE
Well thatís because adults imho are just big teens that suppress emotion and hide behind money moves and lawyers. And their egos are just as fragile as you can tell by party politics.

I lost respect for older people for the sake of them being older as soon as my cognitive skills obvious were more advanced than those older.
Uniquemind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 1st, 2019, 04:50 AM   #42
WHATWOULDYOUDOFORLUV

WHATWOULDYOUDOFORLUV's Forum Picture

Name: Charles

I think the room got very quiet (for a minute at least) when leona Helms let stated that Hitler was a good leader.... He just went a little too far.
After wwI some of europe was holding Germany accountable financially. They were holding the boot to the neck,so to speak, floundering any chance of growth and prosperity.
Hitler turned Germany back into a superpower. When people are cold , hungry and scared they look for any hope. When a man comes along and promises a bright future , he will get elected - damn the consequences.
So everybody that held the boot to Hitler ,he meant to pay them back....in spades
Hitler grew up in fear....Fear leads to hate...and hate Economic sanctionswork..too many sanctions ,leads to explosive natures.

People don't care how much you know , until they know how much you care.
WHATWOULDYOUDOFORLUV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 1st, 2019, 06:48 PM   #43
Uniquemind
VT Lover

Quote:
Originally Posted by WHATWOULDYOUDOFORLUV View Post
I think the room got very quiet (for a minute at least) when leona Helms let stated that Hitler was a good leader.... He just went a little too far.
After wwI some of europe was holding Germany accountable financially. They were holding the boot to the neck,so to speak, floundering any chance of growth and prosperity.
Hitler turned Germany back into a superpower. When people are cold , hungry and scared they look for any hope. When a man comes along and promises a bright future , he will get elected - damn the consequences.
So everybody that held the boot to Hitler ,he meant to pay them back....in spades
Hitler grew up in fear....Fear leads to hate...and hate Economic sanctionswork..too many sanctions ,leads to explosive natures.

When punishing an offender you must make sure the sins of one generation is not unduly passed on to a generation who had no influence in committed the offense.

The danger is the population does not cognitively understand the reason for their predicament and usually because their media is censored and their minds go with system 1 thinking especially if low on food energy to think critically.

This happened in WW1, to lead to WW2, but sanctions on the upper levels of power do work, unless theyíre idealistic or heartless or a mix of the two.
Old January 2nd, 2019, 04:14 PM   #44
NoLimitGuy

Personally, you I agree on the author about immaturity to "win" the argument, but I really couldn't care less since it only proves my argument, because my opponent has nothing more to say, he is backed out and now feels defeated, so he starts with personal insults and recalling of historical terrors... And the second reason is that I can't see really anything wrong nazi's did... Call me nazi as well, if somebody likes it, I don't really care since I have become somewhat a radical-patriot (mostly known as nationalist) or I'm getting on that path...
NoLimitGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 11th, 2019, 09:31 AM   #45
Uniquemind
VT Lover

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoLimitGuy View Post
Personally, you I agree on the author about immaturity to "win" the argument, but I really couldn't care less since it only proves my argument, because my opponent has nothing more to say, he is backed out and now feels defeated, so he starts with personal insults and recalling of historical terrors... And the second reason is that I can't see really anything wrong nazi's did... Call me nazi as well, if somebody likes it, I don't really care since I have become somewhat a radical-patriot (mostly known as nationalist) or I'm getting on that path...
3 things:

1. As of this post I am unclear who you are responding to.

2. But I want to respond anyway to say, that I think while you may win a debate because of an opponentís lack of quality or immaturity to their debate style, it is unwise to let a debate audience take away messages by inference.

People donít always connect the dots well, and so I think itís any public speakerís job to do so, and to respectfully resist name calling.

And partly the name calling is a lazy way that strips out all richness of communication to a single word that then can be blurred and obsfucated in meaning by future political debates or discussions or movements.

Again the reasons for why the Naziís for instance are/were bad, and why you donít seem to see that is a more detailed discussion we should have. Whatís your detailed counter-argument that you donít see the bad they did do?

And by bad, Iíll qualify ďbadĒ as something physically or psychologically harmful to society that would otherwise warrant medical attention. There Iíve qualifidd ďbadĒ.
Old January 12th, 2019, 01:50 AM   #46
HeyCameron
Nice Poster

HeyCameron's Forum Picture

Name: Cameron

In some cases, I think the overuse of the Nazis as an analogy and a go-to example of "evil" has led to a dilution of their history and to some "edgy" contrarians to view the Nazis in a more positive light. If all we get are exaggerations and poor comparisons, it's not long before more people will say "maybe the Nazis weren't that bad". That's at least one reason to avoid so much "reductio ad Hitlerum".

Dancer. Avid reader. Wannabe intellectual. Disillusioned, but not cynical.
HeyCameron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 12th, 2019, 11:14 AM   #47
NoLimitGuy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uniquemind View Post
3 things:

1. As of this post I am unclear who you are responding to.

2. But I want to respond anyway to say, that I think while you may win a debate because of an opponentís lack of quality or immaturity to their debate style, it is unwise to let a debate audience take away messages by inference.

People donít always connect the dots well, and so I think itís any public speakerís job to do so, and to respectfully resist name calling.

And partly the name calling is a lazy way that strips out all richness of communication to a single word that then can be blurred and obsfucated in meaning by future political debates or discussions or movements.

Again the reasons for why the Naziís for instance are/were bad, and why you donít seem to see that is a more detailed discussion we should have. Whatís your detailed counter-argument that you donít see the bad they did do?

And by bad, Iíll qualify ďbadĒ as something physically or psychologically harmful to society that would otherwise warrant medical attention. There Iíve qualifidd ďbadĒ.
Responding to author. "Personally, I agree with author...".
Secondly, I don't understand the concept " good" or "evil". This concept doesn't exist for me, since the concept is only in our heads, it's realitve and mostly irrelavent (as most morals)... Thirdly, nazis made incredible progress in science, medicine, machinery, human psychology and they even went to " pseudo-sicence". Yes, they killed people? So what? Progress can't be achieved without sacrifices and there has never been a single war with a signle droplet of blood spilled? You may have noticed, that I'm not a humanitarian. Yes, I'm not... I despise humanity and human race in general and I think that there are people who deserve to live and there are people who don't. The second ones must be sacrifised for the sake of our future...
Old January 12th, 2019, 02:12 PM   #48
EvaNL
Nice Poster

Name: Goodbye

Quote:
I think that there are people who deserve to live and there are people who don't. The second ones must be sacrifised for the sake of our future...
And who decides who deserves to live and who doesn't?

Gone because of excessive trolling
EvaNL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 12th, 2019, 02:14 PM   #49
NoLimitGuy

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvaNL View Post
And who decides who deserves to live and who doesn't?
Perfectly it would be decided by scientists and intelligence...
Old January 12th, 2019, 02:16 PM   #50
EvaNL
Nice Poster

Quote:
Perfectly it would be decided by scientists and intelligence...
Why?

Old January 12th, 2019, 04:34 PM   #51
NoLimitGuy

Quote:
Why?
Because they are capable of doing so... And I forgot the nature. Nature knows the best who should live and who should die...
Old January 12th, 2019, 04:36 PM   #52
EvaNL
Nice Poster

Quote:
Because they are capable of doing so... And I forgot the nature. Nature knows the best who should live and who should die...
Who decides they are capable of deciding who can live or not?

Actually, don't answer that. It's going WAAY offtopic.

Old January 12th, 2019, 04:40 PM   #53
NoLimitGuy

Quote:
Who decides they are capable of deciding who can live or not?
Being intelligent, thinking on a much langer scale, working for the greater good grants the priviliges to decide who will live and die. We don't need sick and weak people, we don't need people who contributes nothing to society, we don't need full prisons of useless human beings. Better send them to labs for experiments so they would make some worth of their whole useless and miserable life... World's overpopulated anyway. To be honest, it would be perfectly fine and great with only one or two billion people at all....
Old January 21st, 2019, 01:20 PM   #54
Zika
Nice Poster

Quote:
Godwin's Law (also known as Godwin's Rule of Nazi Analogies) is a saying made by Mike Godwin in 1990. The law states: "As a discussion on the Internet grows longer, the likelihood of a comparison of a person's being compared to Hitler or another Nazi reference, increases.". (quote from wikipedia)
And a corollary to Goodwin's Law is the sooner in a conversation a comparison to Hitler or the Nazi's is made, the sooner the conversation begins to circle the drain.

The Hitler reference probably trumps all other attempts to dominate a conversation when the person has nothing of value to add, but there are others:

-mansplainin (what a female says when a guy makes a good point and she doesn't have an intelligent response)
-I'm offended by that
-you're not a victim; you have no right to speak to this issue
-check your privilege
-that's a microaggression
-everything is labeled 'misogyny'

What are others?

Double posts merged.

Last edited by Jinglebottom; January 26th, 2019 at 04:12 AM.
Zika is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 22nd, 2019, 01:56 AM   #55
RattleHead
Awesome Poster

RattleHead's Forum Picture

Name: Eli.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zika View Post
The Hitler reference probably trumps all other attempts to dominate a conversation when the person has nothing of value to add, but there are others:

-mansplainin (what a female says when a guy makes a good point and she doesn't have an intelligent response)
-I'm offended by that
-you're not a victim; you have no right to speak to this issue
-check your privilege
-that's a microaggression
-everything is labeled 'misogyny'

What are others?
-"Get out of my safe space"/"your invading my safe space" (you know you've scored some points when this one comes up)
-"your somethingphobic" (islamaphobic(how the f*** can you be phobic of a religon?) , thrasphobic, etc)

the place where you ask RattleHead questions, and he answers them.

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far. - H.P Lovecraft
RattleHead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 22nd, 2019, 06:15 PM   #56
Zika
Nice Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiny Moon View Post

Actually, I'm ok with some of the things the Nazi did, but of course a particular group of people won't be , not that I care what they think of course.
I'm curious, what did the Nazi's do that you're ok with and which group of people, whom you don't care what they think, wouldn't be?
Zika is offline   Reply With Quote