Virtual Teen Forums

Go Back   Virtual Teen Forums > >
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read Chat Room

Old February 3rd, 2019, 01:33 PM   #1
Katie2003
Awesome Poster

Name: Katelynn
Talking Being able to teach others is a blessing

This year we have a new teacher at my high school, she's fresh out of college and never taught before. And she's finding out that it's overwhelming for her to manage a class and present the material in a way that all of us can understand.

Out of 30+ students in this one class, 17 are failing, 4 have an A including me, and the rest have B's and mostly C's.

Because I've done well academically, our assistant principal asked me a few weeks ago if I'd consider being an adjunct/associate in my class, helping her and actually teaching some material to the class in an attempt to bring up the failing grades to at least a passing level. I told him I would be thrilled to try, and we've made progress.

Now at first I wasn't sure how the other kids would relate to a 15 year old teaching.........since we have kids who are seniors in this class. But they realized this was our one shot as a group for pulling this class off and getting everyone passing grades. Most of the kids at my school either don't see me as a great student since my behavior TBH sucks on a good day, or they didn't think I could do this. I set out to prove them wrong. I've previously tutored grade school kids in math and science among other things, and been successful in bringing up their grades every time.

I started out by asking the other kids in my class if there was any specific material they didn't understand and we concluded that there were a few chapters that we ought to review. With the permission of the AP, we decided to throw out the failing test scores and review that stuff again and retest. Well, everyone that retook the tests passed with no one lower than a C.

And what's been amazing, is that when I'm in front of the class, the students are willing to sit and listen like they are supposed to, and they aren't on their phones.

I highly recommend anyone who would like to try, to offer to either tutor younger kids in grade school or middle school, or to work one on one with a student in your own grade who's having difficulty in their classes. It's a wonderfully amazing boost to your self esteem and it's helping them to succeed and believe in themselves.
Katie2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 3rd, 2019, 02:36 PM   #2
ska8er
VT Lover

ska8er's Forum Picture

Name: Andy
Default Re: Being able to teach others is a blessing

If u r able to accomplish this then u r
making progress within ur class. Being
an A student u should take college courses
and become a teacher.
ska8er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 3rd, 2019, 06:31 PM   #3
lliam
Awesome Poster

lliam's Forum Picture

Name: Liam
Location: The road opposite the big lake on the island in front of the big city on the mainland.

Wow, 30 students in one class? At my school classes are less then the half. Allows a much more relaxed learning and teaching. And no student fails so far.

In that sense, respect to that teach. Especially cause she's new to teaching. Cheers to a good and successful career in teaching.

"Life is that prison you'll never leave alive."

lliam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 3rd, 2019, 08:48 PM   #4
Katie2003
Awesome Poster

While I like being able to teach others, I'm leaning toward a career as a counselor or therapist of some sort that works with teens or younger kids.

Yes, we have more than 30 kids in many classes at my school. They try to make sure that no one fails, although a few kids don't put forth any effort at all and because of that if they intend to follow through and graduate, they might need to repeat a class.
Old February 3rd, 2019, 10:27 PM   #5
karacoustic
Nice Poster

karacoustic's Forum Picture

Name: Kara

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie2003 View Post
While I like being able to teach others, I'm leaning toward a career as a counselor or therapist of some sort that works with teens or younger kids.

Yes, we have more than 30 kids in many classes at my school. They try to make sure that no one fails, although a few kids don't put forth any effort at all and because of that if they intend to follow through and graduate, they might need to repeat a class.
Wowww even so, this will be some valuable experience tpwards those goals. That is so great, Katelynn!
karacoustic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 3rd, 2019, 10:37 PM   #6
Emilyfox
Member+

Emilyfox's Forum Picture

Name: Emily

That’s awesome!!
I hope it all goes on your transcripts and they give you great references because that’s a valuable thing you’ve done and I’m guessing it was paid

But what an awesome experience!
Emilyfox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 4th, 2019, 09:53 AM   #7
Katie2003
Awesome Poster

I wish it was able to be paid, but I would have done it for free anyway. Just having the experience is wonderful, and yes it will be on my transcripts when I apply for college. I've already been advised to ask for letters of reference giving details of this from both the teacher and school office.

IDK if she will ever figure out how to be a really effective teacher or not. The assistant principal told me in confidence that if Chrissy doesn't straighten out and show some real improvement in performance by the end of the school year her contract won't be renewed. Under the circumstances, to her that would probably look like she was being fired, which is what it is. She has been totally appreciative of my help, and sometimes asks before the start of class if there's any advice on presenting that day's material in a certain way. We work together most days and usually 2x or 3x a week I teach part or all of the material.

She actually stood in front of our class and admitted that she only had a 2.0 GPA in college which is like a low C........ saying that it's not too hard to get through college and graduate and still have lots of fun and party and stuff. I don't think she needs to be telling high school students stuff like that about herself, or suggesting that they don't need to work very hard. It's just wrong.

IDK if she sees me as a threat or not, but the facts speak for themselves that I've been able to help turn this situation around and now no student in the class has less than a C. Several of the kids in class have told me privately that I do a better job of presenting the material in a way they can understand, and they like it that I always ask if they have any questions about what we are covering. They also told me that it's painfully obvious that I'm smarter than the teacher. I would not DARE to go there, but in this case in this classroom, I'm not gonna disagree.
Old February 5th, 2019, 09:10 PM   #8
Emilyfox
Member+

Emilyfox's Forum Picture

Name: Emily

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie2003 View Post
I wish it was able to be paid, but I would have done it for free anyway. Just having the experience is wonderful, and yes it will be on my transcripts when I apply for college. I've already been advised to ask for letters of reference giving details of this from both the teacher and school office.

IDK if she will ever figure out how to be a really effective teacher or not. The assistant principal told me in confidence that if Chrissy doesn't straighten out and show some real improvement in performance by the end of the school year her contract won't be renewed. Under the circumstances, to her that would probably look like she was being fired, which is what it is. She has been totally appreciative of my help, and sometimes asks before the start of class if there's any advice on presenting that day's material in a certain way. We work together most days and usually 2x or 3x a week I teach part or all of the material.

She actually stood in front of our class and admitted that she only had a 2.0 GPA in college which is like a low C........ saying that it's not too hard to get through college and graduate and still have lots of fun and party and stuff. I don't think she needs to be telling high school students stuff like that about herself, or suggesting that they don't need to work very hard. It's just wrong.

IDK if she sees me as a threat or not, but the facts speak for themselves that I've been able to help turn this situation around and now no student in the class has less than a C. Several of the kids in class have told me privately that I do a better job of presenting the material in a way they can understand, and they like it that I always ask if they have any questions about what we are covering. They also told me that it's painfully obvious that I'm smarter than the teacher. I would not DARE to go there, but in this case in this classroom, I'm not gonna disagree.
Ouch yeah
Substandard teachers arent fair to have
Emilyfox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 11th, 2019, 11:43 AM   #9
Katie2003
Awesome Poster

This came along at a time in my life when I was really frustrated with myself, and a lot of people at school were frustrated with me because of my behavior and emotional issues. It's totally been what I needed to give me a brighter outlook and realize that helping others could pull me up at the same time. And I actually think that Chrissy is beginning to see what she needs to change in order to become an effective teacher. We had a really long talk the other day after school and I told her that she needs to lighten up on talking about having fun in college and not studying, because that can be a bad influence on kids to hear that. I also told her that if I had a 2.0 GPA I wouldn't be bragging about that's all you need to graduate, because it says a lot about whether you even care about learning.

I think it hit her like a ton of bricks when I told her that in order to teach, she needed to care, and that the students in her classes all seem to think that she doesn't care about us at all. She was like, well lighten up on me cause it's only a job, and I told her flat out that it wasn't only a job because it affects these kids and their future if they don't get good grades and learn the material so they can pass the class. She's gotta get her priorities right, before she can teach. At the end of our discussion, Chrissy hugged me and said she'd think about what I'd said, but maybe I was right and she was wrong. Ding Ding Ding!!!!!! That's what needed to happen. I'll bet this week she does better. I want her to succeed, but she has to want that for herself first or it will never work.

And bottom line, it really shouldn't be my place at age 15 to put a teacher in her place. But it needed to be said and TBH I didn't care if it came out as too strong. The assistant principal gave me free reign over the class, and the teacher is part of the class. He told me he's thrilled with the progress we've made in the past few weeks bringing up everyone's grades, so I must be doing something right.

Last edited by Katie2003; February 11th, 2019 at 11:51 AM.