Virtual Teen Forums

Go Back   Virtual Teen Forums > >
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read Chat Room

Old February 11th, 2019, 02:42 PM   #1
Allover Kelly
Member+

Allover Kelly's Forum Picture

Name: Kelly
Location: Born in Conn. USA moved to FL, then NC now back in Conn. Now live with my Dad's family
Default What is the deal with buying Gold and Silver.

I have seen over and over on cable TV about buying gold and silver to protect your money. I'm just 15, but now if someone buys gold now at say $1000oz and it climes to $2000oz It did not really go up the $$ lost value. Same with silver.
in 1979 gold was I think $45 an oz but now $1133oz it is the same amount but now you pay more. But the the paper money had more printed.
I cut and pasted this

"In the twelve turmoil-filled months leading up to January, 1980, gold went from $240 per ounce to $850. My customer who had bought the one-ounce Krugerrands in May of 1979 for $284 each, sold them in January of 1980 for $788 each, not far from the record $850 high reached that month (a price we haven't seen since." The money lost value as gold increased. Then when gold dropped in price the value of the money increased.

Dad said gold goes up and down, but ammo is always needed and can be used to get all the gold you want later. I have never meet guys like that come around here now.
Allover Kelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 11th, 2019, 04:29 PM   #2
mattsmith48
VT Voice of reason

Name: matt
Default Re: What is the deal with buying Gold and Silver.

Its like playing in the stock market you just gamble that it will go up and you will be able to sell it later for a huge profit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattsmith48
There is no such thing as liberal or conservative media, the only thing the media cares about is either money or the truth.
mattsmith48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 11th, 2019, 05:33 PM   #3
Allover Kelly
Member+

Location: Born in Conn. USA moved to FL, then NC now back in Conn. Now live with my Dad's family

But when you sell it It really is not worth more, the $ is just less.
I asked A teacher the same thing and almost got in trouble for saying is a disaster hits a Case of MRE's would be worth more then gold. She said I was wrong. I then asked her if she had a pound of gold and I had a case of MRE's who would live longer. She asked what did I mean. I asked her how good will the gold taste. She then said she could just take it from me or offer to buy the MRE's I told her if she tried to take them I would have the Gold and the MRE's. Mic Drop. LOL
Old February 11th, 2019, 06:19 PM   #4
ska8er
VT Lover

ska8er's Forum Picture

Name: Andy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allover Kelly View Post
But when you sell it It really is not worth more, the $ is just less.
I asked A teacher the same thing and almost got in trouble for saying is a disaster hits a Case of MRE's would be worth more then gold. She said I was wrong. I then asked her if she had a pound of gold and I had a case of MRE's who would live longer. She asked what did I mean. I asked her how good will the gold taste. She then said she could just take it from me or offer to buy the MRE's I told her if she tried to take them I would have the Gold and the MRE's. Mic Drop. LOL
I have no idea what u r talking
about here.
ska8er is online now   Reply With Quote
Old February 11th, 2019, 07:07 PM   #5
Allover Kelly
Member+

I have been around Preppers to much LOL To them Gold is OK but food, Guns and Ammo are what to stock up.
Old February 13th, 2019, 03:18 PM   #6
Dmaxd123
Nice Poster

personally i don't see the reason to invest in gold/silver

stock market has a bit more behind it in my opinion

but you are 100% correct that if it comes down to it those that can provide food will be ahead of those with money since we will be bartering so it is easier to barter a gallon of milk for a few rounds of ammo than to barter a gallon of milk for a piece of paper that lost it's value in some sort of crazy catastrophe
Dmaxd123 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old February 15th, 2019, 05:39 PM   #7
BaileyWill

BaileyWill's Forum Picture

Name: Bailey

Silver and gold always have value, regardless of what money is worth. Money is just built on the basis of credit.

Also, humans love shiny things lol
BaileyWill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 17th, 2019, 12:40 PM   #8
Snowfox
Member++

Name: Pyry

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattsmith48 View Post
Its like playing in the stock market you just gamble that it will go up and you will be able to sell it later for a huge profit.
With Gold its way different since you cant print more gold. There exist certain amount of gold on earth and only way to make more is to mine more which is slow and difficult.
Its also pretty hard to counterfeit gold.
Gold has its uses like in phones and computers.

And not all stockmarket is playing one way which is popular way too is to buy and hold shares that you believe will pay you dividents.
Sure there is playing with shares and instruments and sure there is too much fast buy-sell operators. But to say that buying shares or gold is just play is not truth at all.

Main point anyway in this gold investing thing is that Gold historically keeps its value pretty well. companies can bankrupt and their shares can become worthless but if you own ounce of gold its still ounce of gold.
Gold is currency too its currency code is AUX
Snowfox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 17th, 2019, 01:42 PM   #9
breaux
Nice Poster

breaux's Forum Picture

Must be an American thing, we don't really have advertisement for gold/silver here at all.
breaux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 18th, 2019, 02:28 AM   #10
mattsmith48
VT Voice of reason

Name: matt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowfox View Post
With Gold its way different since you cant print more gold. There exist certain amount of gold on earth and only way to make more is to mine more which is slow and difficult.
Its also pretty hard to counterfeit gold.
Gold has its uses like in phones and computers.

And not all stockmarket is playing one way which is popular way too is to buy and hold shares that you believe will pay you dividents.
Sure there is playing with shares and instruments and sure there is too much fast buy-sell operators. But to say that buying shares or gold is just play is not truth at all.

Main point anyway in this gold investing thing is that Gold historically keeps its value pretty well. companies can bankrupt and their shares can become worthless but if you own ounce of gold its still ounce of gold.
Gold is currency too its currency code is AUX
Gold is only valuable because we decided it did, besides in electronics, we don't have many uses for gold other then it looks pretty, but other than that its not very useful to us.

And yes we have a limited amount but they are massive quantities in asteroids, many of those asteroids close to Earth. Yes it would cost a lot to mine asteroids, but its sitting there until the day it becomes financially viable and we decide to go and take it, and bring it back here.

It is a gamble because you are betting on that we (as a society) will always like gold, your odds of losing are as high as buying stocks, but its still a gamble.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattsmith48
There is no such thing as liberal or conservative media, the only thing the media cares about is either money or the truth.
mattsmith48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 19th, 2019, 11:26 AM   #11
Zika
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allover Kelly View Post
If someone buys gold now at say $1000oz and it climes to $2000oz It did not really go up the $$ lost value.

"In the twelve turmoil-filled months leading up to January, 1980, gold went from $240 per ounce to $850. My customer who had bought the one-ounce Krugerrands in May of 1979 for $284 each, sold them in January of 1980 for $788 each, not far from the record $850 high reached that month (a price we haven't seen since." The money lost value as gold increased. Then when gold dropped in price the value of the money increased.
Your first statement was true when the US had a true 'gold standard' for it's money; they haven't had that in a long, long time.
Gold is now a commodity, like other commodities. It goes up in value as the dollar decreases in value, as people view gold as a stable commodity (which it really isn't. It's value in stability is if the monetary system collapses entirely, the $ is worth nothing, gold will still be a medium of exchange). But there are other factors which affect the value of gold as well.

While it's true gold increased in value as the dollar lost value, it's not a net equal situation. At the end of that year, $788 would still have bought a lot more goods than $284 would have at the beginning of the year.
Zika is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 19th, 2019, 04:07 PM   #12
Naturelover
Member++

Naturelover's Forum Picture

Name: Julia

what do you think about investing in palladium or oil?
Naturelover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 19th, 2019, 06:44 PM   #13
Zika
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naturelover View Post
what do you think about investing in palladium or oil?
who's that directed at?
Old February 20th, 2019, 05:54 AM   #14
Naturelover
Member++

Naturelover's Forum Picture

Name: Julia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zika View Post
who's that directed at?
To Allover Kelly. but if you want to write something constructive about it,
you are cordially invited.
Naturelover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 20th, 2019, 11:54 AM   #15
Zika
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naturelover View Post
To Allover Kelly. but if you want to write something constructive about it,
you are cordially invited.
Thanks, but I know nothing about it.
Old February 21st, 2019, 02:44 PM   #16
Uniquemind
VT Lover

I don’t find gold a great investment in a worldwide thriving economy as an ideology.

I’d find skills, water, food, and weapons and other sustainability tools, more valuable in a doomsday zombie apocalypse scenario than gold. Oh yeah and birth control and other medicines, because if you think sex isn’t going to be bartered in this scenario you’re a fool.

The problem with gold is the luggage scenario, how you gonna move or maintain your stock of it realistically, how can you exchange it in fragments without over or under-paying for what you want?

It’s really only good as a type of diversification in investment funds in a functional world, as well as manufacturing in industry. But Palladium and Platinum are also valuable assets in that regard as well.
Uniquemind is offline   Reply With Quote