Virtual Teen Forums
 

Go Back   Virtual Teen Forums > >
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read Chat Room

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old August 21st, 2018, 12:48 AM   #21
nickole999
Junior Member
 
nickole999's Forum Picture
 
Join Date: August 17, 2018
Gender: Undisclosed
Default Re: Why Atheism is Irrational Continued

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeyCameron View Post
So can the existence (or non-existence) of God be determined through reason?
I think no

When I feel stressed and overloaded with homework I ask for help from CopyCrafter . That is the only way I can handle everything at once.

Last edited by nickole999; September 26th, 2018 at 01:58 AM.
nickole999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 7th, 2018, 04:26 AM   #22
nikkimelan
Junior Member+
 
nikkimelan's Forum Picture
 
Name: Nikki
Join Date: September 6, 2018
Location: South Africa
Gender: Female
Default Re: Why Atheism is Irrational Continued

Atheism is a conclusion not a religion. Religion should be banned. It's evil what it does to people.
Likes: (1)
nikkimelan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 23rd, 2018, 10:01 AM   #23
NoLimitGuy
Member+
 
Join Date: October 6, 2018
Gender: Male
Default Re: Why Atheism is Irrational Continued

Atheism is irrational? Dear fella, the life is irrational in general, no matter if you believe in god or not. Your life is based on emotions, like it is with all the other animal species. Emotions are not a rational thing, okay? As for the main idea - the proof of the god's absence is right under your nose. You should simply study history and make some conclusions. But it's only if you want to see facts, if only you are able to see the real truth and you can read between the lines...
NoLimitGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 25th, 2018, 04:18 AM   #24
Oskarr2005
Awesome Poster
 
Name: Oscar
Join Date: June 16, 2018
Location: UK
Age: 14
Gender: Male
Default Re: Why Atheism is Irrational Continued

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikkimelan View Post
Atheism is a conclusion not a religion. Religion should be banned. It's evil what it does to people.
Only to a minority people. Most people who have a religion dont cause harm but we only talk about the few who do :/
Likes: (1)
Oskarr2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 29th, 2018, 08:39 PM   #25
Sevro au Barca
Member
 
Sevro au Barca's Forum Picture
 
Join Date: September 23, 2017
Location: Southeastern US
Age: 18
Gender: Cisgender Male
Default Re: Why Atheism is Irrational Continued

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlerchan View Post
This is profoundly unscientific.

There are numerous theories of physics that we are a long way off empirically testing--some might remain impossible to test--but this at no point suggests that these theories are incorrect. This includes the theories you highlighted as being capable of replacing the requirement that god created the universe.


You are free to outline what this difference is, as opposed to insisting it exists.

By your own words though, a lack of belief implies active denial.


I'm not sure what this means, but I am just going to take it as you don't understand what I was saying.

Though, to be honest, if you haven't covered the basic mechanics of logic proofs before and don't seem to be getting that previous explanation, we will probably have a difficult time bridging this gap. Nevertheless, I will persist.

The point of a proof is to demonstrate that a certain set of conditions--previously derived statements--necessitates a certain result. In what I have been suggesting we start with an axiom.

1: If I have a migraine, I must have a throbbing headache.

We then state the first line of our argument:

2: I do not have a throbbing headache.

Given condition 1, this implies our result:

3: Therefore, I do not have a migraine.

The result is necessitated by a pre-established set of conditions, 1 and 2. It's a rather simple proof, and that's where I think your problem lies. You can disagree with the premises, but the argument remains logically consistent and, conditional on premise 1 and 2 holding true, demonstrate a negative.

To be honest, it likely will come across like I am repeating myself because I'm referring to the most basic of proofs, and all I can hope for is that by re-arranging it in a different wording it might eventually click with you. Though, I can't be sure of that.

If you want, I can go through a number of more complicated ones in an economic context. For example, for an agent who lacks complete, transitive or reflexive preferences, a utility function--i.e. a systematic ranking of preferences--cannot exist. By showing one of the three to be false, you can demonstrate the negative (and it's rather simple).


It's a thought experiment, though perhaps I should contextualise it.

For an uncountable number of generations, Bronze Age Irish people, restricted to their island, had no evidence that tigers existed.That these people possessed no evidence of tiger's existence, even if it was the case for thousands or tens of thousands of years, does not suggest that tigers do not exist.

In the same sense, having no evidence that god exists does not suggest that god doesn't exist. Like with the tigers, it suggested one of two outcomes: (1) god doesn't exist, or (2) we simply haven't found the evidence yet.

You can suggest that we have waited long enough for this evidence, but to reject god on this basis would be, as I suggested, profoundly unscientific.


You want to use a framework designed for deciding the course of law to determine truths and untruths, despite the framework you're relying on being explicit about it's incapacity to construct truths or untruths (hence the language of non-guilty v innocent, etc.).

It's irrational, and you shouldn't do it.
I'm... curious as to what, exactly, you're arguing here. While you have provided relatively sound evidence suggesting that there is no conclusive proof to suggest that there is no god, you have neglected to provide any evidence to suggest that one, in fact, exists. At most, your argument seems to be a promotion of pure agnosticism. Being an agnostic myself, I have no objection to that, but you seem awfully vehement to not be going anywhere concrete with this.

Sure, one could argue that there is no evidence to suggest that there is no god, but if one adheres to the same standard of proof for both sides of the argument, there is an equal lack of evidence to suggest that there is a god. Barring a few claims of unverifiable miracles, the only reason anyone believes in god(s) is that

1). They have been told that there is one one by others, following a chain of belief back to the nebulous origins of their religion.
2). They have been told that religious texts such as the Torah/Bible/Qu'ran are incontrovertibly true and therefore they should be believed.
2a). These texts claim that the religion is true and therefore god is real.

Lovely bit of circular logic there, eh?

I'm saying this not to contradict your point, I genuinely would like to have to say, either in hopes that one of us will convert the other, or, barring that, have a bit of fun with verbal sparring and entertain the masses. That said, if you cite Pascal's Wager as evidence, I'm going to puke.

Surprisingly weird.
Sevro au Barca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 15th, 2019, 12:27 PM   #26
liberal raj
Member
 
liberal raj's Forum Picture
 
Join Date: November 23, 2017
Location: india
Gender: Male
Default Re: Why Atheism is Irrational Continued

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeyCameron View Post
So can the existence (or non-existence) of God be determined through reason?
space and time are confined in the universe.Everything exists within space and time.The creator of universe must be beyond the universe. But nothing exists beyond space and time. So god is non-existence.
I didn't say god is non-existent. Rather I used a noun.
But I can tell that the god as in the religious scriptures is not real.
liberal raj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 18th, 2019, 10:35 AM   #27
GamingDoc
Banned
 
Name: Alireza
Join Date: May 8, 2018
Location: Shiraz/Iran IR
Age: 22
Gender: Male
Default Re: Why Atheism is Irrational Continued

Let me put this through. What exactly is your definition of God?
GamingDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 19th, 2019, 09:56 PM   #28
Uniquemind
VT Lover
 
Join Date: April 1, 2015
Location: USA
Gender: Other
Default Re: Why Atheism is Irrational Continued

Quote:
Originally Posted by liberal raj View Post
space and time are confined in the universe.Everything exists within space and time.The creator of universe must be beyond the universe. But nothing exists beyond space and time. So god is non-existence.
I didn't say god is non-existent. Rather I used a noun.
But I can tell that the god as in the religious scriptures is not real.

Or it just means what we think of as the universe, has a barrier of nothingness, But beyond that there are other closed universes who exist in completely different space-time than ours.


In some ways I read scriptures and wonder if thatís what heaven and hell are. Closed realms with their own spacetime where infinities are possible given both are described as eternal realms everlasting.
Uniquemind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 19th, 2019, 10:00 PM   #29
RattleHead
Awesome Poster
 
RattleHead's Forum Picture
 
Name: Eli.
Join Date: February 4, 2018
Location: In poor taste
Gender: Male
Blog Entries: 6
Default Re: Why Atheism is Irrational Continued

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uniquemind View Post
In some ways I read scriptures and wonder if thatís what heaven and hell are. Closed realms with their own spacetime where infinities are possible given both are described as eternal realms everlasting.
I belive spritualists have a similer hypothisis regarding there so called "4th dimention" where it exists as a closed realm, only crossed by those who somehow posses the power to do so,
But i could be wrong on this idk

the place where you ask RattleHead questions, and he answers them.

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far. - H.P Lovecraft
RattleHead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 20th, 2019, 03:28 AM   #30
liberal raj
Member
 
liberal raj's Forum Picture
 
Join Date: November 23, 2017
Location: india
Gender: Male
Default Re: Why Atheism is Irrational Continued

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uniquemind View Post
Or it just means what we think of as the universe, has a barrier of nothingness, But beyond that there are other closed universes who exist in completely different space-time than ours.


In some ways I read scriptures and wonder if thatís what heaven and hell are. Closed realms with their own spacetime where infinities are possible given both are described as eternal realms everlasting.
multiverse and closed realms are hypothetical concepts.They can not be proved to be true.
now heaven and hell are places where you get reward or retribution for your actions in your life:heaven for good deeds and hell for evil. But what's good and evil. We define good and evil on our perspective. There is no universal definition of virtue and sin. So there is no universal code of conduct or vigilance or judgement.So there can't be a heaven or hell.
liberal raj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 20th, 2019, 03:31 AM   #31
liberal raj
Member
 
liberal raj's Forum Picture
 
Join Date: November 23, 2017
Location: india
Gender: Male
Default Re: Why Atheism is Irrational Continued

Quote:
Originally Posted by RattleHead View Post
I belive spritualists have a similer hypothisis regarding there so called "4th dimention" where it exists as a closed realm, only crossed by those who somehow posses the power to do so,
But i could be wrong on this idk
power or energy or potential are physical quantities. They are too bound in space-time continuum. No one can transcend that i.e. go to a closed realm from another( if they exist)
liberal raj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 20th, 2019, 08:25 AM   #32
RattleHead
Awesome Poster
 
RattleHead's Forum Picture
 
Name: Eli.
Join Date: February 4, 2018
Location: In poor taste
Gender: Male
Blog Entries: 6
Default Re: Why Atheism is Irrational Continued

Quote:
Originally Posted by liberal raj View Post
power or energy or potential are physical quantities. They are too bound in space-time continuum. No one can transcend that i.e. go to a closed realm from another( if they exist)
and who says thats how the space time continum works?

the place where you ask RattleHead questions, and he answers them.

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far. - H.P Lovecraft
RattleHead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 25th, 2019, 02:01 AM   #33
nikkimelan
Junior Member+
 
nikkimelan's Forum Picture
 
Name: Nikki
Join Date: September 6, 2018
Location: South Africa
Gender: Female
Default Re: Why Atheism is Irrational Continued

I think it is God's responsibility to come and talk to us. But he never does. Kinda lame for such a powerful thing.
Likes: (1)
nikkimelan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 25th, 2019, 04:22 AM   #34
liberal raj
Member
 
liberal raj's Forum Picture
 
Join Date: November 23, 2017
Location: india
Gender: Male
Default Re: Why Atheism is Irrational Continued

Quote:
Originally Posted by RattleHead View Post
and who says thats how the space time continuum works?
you wanna know how space time continuum works,Start from General Relativity. And remember it is theoretically as well as empirically proven. Kip Thorn got a Noble prize for proving the existence of Gravitational wave(an outcome of space time continuum)
liberal raj is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:49 PM.


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright©2000 - 2019
Search Engine Optimisation provided by DragonByte SEO (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Copyright © 2004 - 2018, VirtualTeen.org