Virtual Teen Forums

Go Back   Virtual Teen Forums > >
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read Chat Room

Old January 27th, 2017, 08:18 AM   #1
Bunnyprincess

Default Transgender girl, am I welcome here?

Hi, as in the title, I am a transgender girl. In the main page it says this subforum is for "biological girls only", what does that refer to? I am currently on hormones, going through female puberty and my birth certificate is female so is it okay for me to participate here?
Bunnyprincess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 27th, 2017, 08:41 AM   #2
Taryn98
Awesome Poster

Taryn98's Forum Picture

Name: Taryn
Default Re: Transgender girl, am I welcome here?

The forum rules say that you can post in the section based on your sex assigned at birth. If you have a question about it, I would recommend you contact a moderator directly.
Taryn98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 27th, 2017, 11:55 AM   #3
Endeavour
Global Moderator

Endeavour's Forum Picture

Puberty for Girls Virtual Teen HQ

Since this is more a question about site rules than puberty, this thread fits better over here. What is said above is correct. The rules do say you should only post in the forum that fits your biological sex given at birth. You're more than welcome to post in Puberty for All though, and if you have any questions about transitioning etc. you are welcome to post them in Teen Sexuality and Gender.

Global Moderator
live a life you will remember

Feel free to contact me: PM[email protected]
Visit: Path to the HorizonAsk Me Anything
Endeavour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 27th, 2017, 02:53 PM   #4
Bunnyprincess

That's sad. I hope the mods can consider changing the rules as I find this quote offensive.
Old January 27th, 2017, 04:05 PM   #5
Elysium
Global Moderator

Elysium's Forum Picture

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunnyprincess View Post
That's sad. I hope the mods can consider changing the rules as I find this quote offensive.
Our logic in categorizing the sections was that a transgender girl wouldn't be going through typical female puberty and a transgender boy wouldn't be going through typical male puberty, so it wouldn't make sense to allow anyone to post in a section they couldn't meaningfully contribute to.

However, your perspective and input are valuable, especially as we don't have anyone on staff currently who identifies as transgender (to my knowledge); what would you suggest?

Global Moderator
My Diary
“Everything was beautiful and nothing hurt.”
- Kurt Vonnegut, Slaughterhouse Five

PM me FAQ
[email protected]
“The Goderator”
~Mike was here~
*Ali*
val
~Steven~
Elysium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 27th, 2017, 04:44 PM   #6
Desuetude
---

Desuetude's Forum Picture

Name: Isaac

I get why you're catagorising due to sex but it wouldn't hurt to let trans people post in whichever section they feel most comfortable. It depends on the context of the thread. If a trans girl has questions about boobs you can't expect them to post that in the boys section. I'd consider re-evaluating that rule.
Desuetude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 27th, 2017, 09:30 PM   #7
Elysium
Global Moderator

Elysium's Forum Picture

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desuetude View Post
I get why you're catagorising due to sex but it wouldn't hurt to let trans people post in whichever section they feel most comfortable. It depends on the context of the thread. If a trans girl has questions about boobs you can't expect them to post that in the boys section. I'd consider re-evaluating that rule.
To be fair, that's part of the reason for the Puberty for All section. Regardless though, I see your point. I'll bring it up with the rest of staff. Thank you for your input and please let me know if there's anything else we can do.

Global Moderator
My Diary

PM me FAQ
[email protected]
“The Goderator”
~Mike was here~
*Ali*
val
~Steven~
Old January 28th, 2017, 09:59 AM   #8
Desuetude
---

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elysium View Post
To be fair, that's part of the reason for the Puberty for All section. Regardless though, I see your point. I'll bring it up with the rest of staff. Thank you for your input and please let me know if there's anything else we can do.
Yeah there's puberty for all, fair enough but the OP is a girl and shouldn't need to feel like her identity is being questioned by being unable to post in said section. You wouldn't have even known she was trans if she hadn't posted this so again, it really isn't hurting anyone. Appreciate your consideration.
Old January 29th, 2017, 09:25 AM   #9
Just JT
sure, ask, dare you

Just JT's Forum Picture

Name: JT

Wow!!
This is really good, a truly quality topic that's real to life but also seems to conflict with forum rules, and people can talk about it civily and make good quality (potential) changes here. Hats off to you guys
Just JT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 30th, 2017, 12:59 PM   #10
Bunnyprincess

Quote:
Our logic in categorizing the sections was that a transgender girl wouldn't be going through typical female puberty and a transgender boy wouldn't be going through typical male puberty, so it wouldn't make sense to allow anyone to post in a section they couldn't meaningfully contribute to.

However, your perspective and input are valuable, especially as we don't have anyone on staff currently who identifies as transgender (to my knowledge); what would you suggest?
Hmm, I'd suggest allowing transgender people to post in the sections that correspond with their gender, but still not allow boys to post in the girl section or vice versa. Maybe if you need there could be a rule that transgender people be on hormones to post in the gendered sections, so they are going through the respective puberty?
Old January 30th, 2017, 01:06 PM   #11
Periphery
Professional Spivak

Periphery's Forum Picture

Quote:
Hmm, I'd suggest allowing transgender people to post in the sections that correspond with their gender, but still not allow boys to post in the girl section or vice versa. Maybe if you need there could be a rule that transgender people be on hormones to post in the gendered sections, so they are going through the respective puberty?
While in theory it's a good idea, and I think it should be possible, there's one big problem.

How do we know after allowing this there won't be a lot of people claiming to be both transgender and on hormones just for the purpose of posting in the puberty forum of the other gender? It's no secret there are a lot of fake acounts posting in P101 so I feel like this rule, while being a good idea, would increase this problem.

I do agree with you that it should be possible, because to me it's also a matter of respect. I think it's a shame this may potentially increase the amount of of creeps though, it really makes me sad.

When you're taught to love everyone, to love your enemies, then what value does that place on love?
-Marilyn Manson

Android? We can't be friends sorry!!!!!
-Proof Bob is a peasant

~Richelle was here~

Last edited by Periphery; January 30th, 2017 at 01:13 PM.
Periphery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 30th, 2017, 02:36 PM   #12
Elysium
Global Moderator

Elysium's Forum Picture

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Special One View Post
While in theory it's a good idea, and I think it should be possible, there's one big problem.

How do we know after allowing this there won't be a lot of people claiming to be both transgender and on hormones just for the purpose of posting in the puberty forum of the other gender? It's no secret there are a lot of fake acounts posting in P101 so I feel like this rule, while being a good idea, would increase this problem.

I do agree with you that it should be possible, because to me it's also a matter of respect. I think it's a shame this may potentially increase the amount of of creeps though, it really makes me sad.
I'll respond to both of these:

I was inclined to do what you're suggesting, @Bunnyprincess. My hesitation is not for the reason @The Special One gives, although that is valid (I dismissed it as not a primary concern because if people want to lie about their sex/gender to post in the incorrect forum, they're already doing that anyway, regardless of our rule about trans people). My concern was that it would be horribly intrusive of us, as staff, to personally verify with people whether or not they're on hormones and, subsequently, whether or not they're eligible to post in the section that corresponds to their gender but not their sex. It also seems exclusionary - a girl is no less a girl because she isn't on hormones and a boy is no less a boy because he isn't on hormones.

But I might be treating the matter with a little excess sensitivity. What are your thoughts? @Desuetude @Bunnyprincess and anyone else who would like to participate in this discussion.

Global Moderator
My Diary

PM me FAQ
[email protected]
“The Goderator”
~Mike was here~
*Ali*
val
~Steven~
Old January 31st, 2017, 01:23 PM   #13
Desuetude
---

Completely agree with you, Elysium. I wouldn't feel happy with having to disclose such personal information just to post in a section of a forum, it'd be like having to prove yourself. Plus like you say, gender isn't determined by hormones anyway so that makes it void. This is a teen forum, most people here are under 18 and in the UK it's extremely rare that they'll prescribe hormones to anyone under 18 anyway (although I know they do early on in the US).

Can someone please explain to me what's so harmful about someone posting in the section they identify with though? It doesn't seem like it makes any difference to me. If you think about it I doubt most trans people will be posting in the P101 forums anyway (the OP seems like a one off) because it's so dysphoria inducing and difficult to navigate, as you can tell by this discussion.
Old February 1st, 2017, 10:48 PM   #14
Babs
draft dodger

Babs's Forum Picture

If a transgender girl were to post in Puberty For Girls about erections, I would think that would defeat the purpose of separate forums altogether.
It really isn't about being a boy or a girl, or politics, it's just about biology.
Babs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 1st, 2017, 11:20 PM   #15
Elysium
Global Moderator

Elysium's Forum Picture

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urist View Post
If a transgender girl were to post in Puberty For Girls about erections, I would think that would defeat the purpose of separate forums altogether.
It really isn't about being a boy or a girl, or politics, it's just about biology.
But why would they? I'm not trans, but my guess would be that the last thing trans people want to advertise is their genitals.

Global Moderator
My Diary

PM me FAQ
[email protected]
“The Goderator”
~Mike was here~
*Ali*
val
~Steven~
Old February 1st, 2017, 11:32 PM   #16
Babs
draft dodger

Babs's Forum Picture

Quote:
But why would they? I'm not trans, but my guess would be that the last thing trans people want to advertise is their genitals.
They still get erections like anyone else, surely they have questions too. Maybe it's not even a big deal to them. Not all people think the same or have the same insecurities.
Old February 2nd, 2017, 07:58 AM   #17
Elysium
Global Moderator

Elysium's Forum Picture

Quote:
They still get erections like anyone else, surely they have questions too. Maybe it's not even a big deal to them. Not all people think the same or have the same insecurities.
If that was the case, they could post in Puberty for All, no?

Global Moderator
My Diary

PM me FAQ
[email protected]
“The Goderator”
~Mike was here~
*Ali*
val
~Steven~
Old February 2nd, 2017, 08:57 AM   #18
Desuetude
---

Quote:
Haha trans people don't have less brain cells than you. Of course they're not going to post about their biology that isn't related to the forum they're posting in. It's not rocket science. Just let them post in the section they want to. Said a trans girl wants to ask a question about erections on a forum like this (which I doubt she would) she would almost certainly know to post in puberty for all.

To answer your 'not all people have the same insecurities' statement. Gender dysphoria makes it 99% likely that trans people won't be talking about stuff like that. Especially on a forum that is vastly cis.
Old February 2nd, 2017, 09:50 PM   #19
Babs
draft dodger

Babs's Forum Picture

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desuetude View Post
Haha trans people don't have less brain cells than you. Of course they're not going to post about their biology that isn't related to the forum they're posting in. It's not rocket science. Just let them post in the section they want to. Said a trans girl wants to ask a question about erections on a forum like this (which I doubt she would) she would almost certainly know to post in puberty for all.

To answer your 'not all people have the same insecurities' statement. Gender dysphoria makes it 99% likely that trans people won't be talking about stuff like that. Especially on a forum that is vastly cis.
whoa there. I was just expressing a thought, no need to get defensive.
Old February 4th, 2017, 02:38 PM   #20
Anniebanannie
Member++

Anniebanannie's Forum Picture

Name: Annie

How about letting people post in the gender they identify with, and see if there are any problems.

I'm having a great time here. I'm open to chat, too.
Anniebanannie is offline   Reply With Quote