Virtual Teen Forums

Go Back   Virtual Teen Forums > > >
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read Chat Room

Old August 25th, 2008, 12:16 AM   #1
Underage_Thinker
Awesome Poster

Underage_Thinker's Forum Picture

Default What i have to look forward to

Well my grandfather on my dads side was institutionalized in his later years for what im pretty sure was schizophrenia, and now since my dad and mom got divorced my dad is talking about people tracking him by his cell phone, and watching him. So idk what this means for me but i guess ill just have to deal with it if/when it happens.

Computers in the future may weigh no more than 1.5 tons."
- Popular Mechanics, 1949

︻┳═一
Underage_Thinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 26th, 2008, 03:08 PM   #2
Malcolm Tucker
VT Lover

Malcolm Tucker's Forum Picture

Name: Mal
Default Re: What i have to look forward to

Quote:
Originally Posted by Underage_Thinker View Post
Well my grandfather on my dads side was institutionalized in his later years for what im pretty sure was schizophrenia, and now since my dad and mom got divorced my dad is talking about people tracking him by his cell phone, and watching him. So idk what this means for me but i guess ill just have to deal with it if/when it happens.
If you're worried about it, which I can only assume you are, talk to a professional. A therapist, best to keep it from your dad, as such. It may make him worse. We're here if you need us aswell

"[...] I mean the guy is an epic fuck-up. Hes so dense that light bends around him."
Malcolm Tucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 26th, 2008, 10:18 PM   #3
IAMSAM
Legendary Member

Name: Sam!

Well, what it means is that your dad might be saying/doing/believeing things that are peculiar and frightening to you. If it's schizophrenia is another matter, as schizophrenia is an illness with many symptoms, such as delusional (irrational) thoughts or beliefs, but most notably, a general bizarreness in thought patterns in general and emotional reponsiveness that is truly unusual, ranging from flat to wildly excited. Think about the poor souls you might have seen shouting at stop signs in a city near by, or the 'bag people', those who are homeless b/c they've been deinstitutionalized. That's typically what schizophrenia looks like.

Your dad may or may not have schizphrenia, but what you're noticing is a difference in the way he thinks. This might be due to a lot of factors other than schizophrenia. Have you shared your observations with him about his behavior? And, perhaps more importantly, have you shared your concerns with some other adults/family members who can help him? You might want to do that.

Lastly, the understanding and treatment of mental illnesses of all kinds has undergone a dramatic change since your Grandfather was hospitalized. Back then, people were 'institutionalized' for all sorts of things and misdiagnosed, too, so unless there was someone who remembers his behavior vividly and can now compare it to your dad's, all you can assume is that there's a vulnerability in the family.

Help your dad by telling some family member. And don't worry about you, there are alot of other factors (and genes) that affect you and your chances of having a similiar vulnerability.
IAMSAM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 27th, 2008, 11:59 AM   #4
Sapphire
Tears & Smiles

Sapphire's Forum Picture

Try not to worry too much about developing the disorder yourself. Your dad may not even be schizophrenic. The paranoia that he seems to be experiencing is a symptom of a number of other disorders.

~ The journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step ~

* Nothing in the world has ever been accomplished without passion *
Sapphire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 27th, 2008, 11:08 PM   #5
ssgliberty
Member++

ssgliberty's Forum Picture

Name: liberty

i suggest going to therapist as michael said and that we`re here if you want to talk

I am learning Programming
#my C++ Compilers:
#Microsoft Visual C++ 2010 Express edition
#Dev C++
ssgliberty is offline   Reply With Quote