Virtual Teen Forums
 

Go Back   Virtual Teen Forums > >
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read Chat Room

View Poll Results: What is your religion?
Agnosticism 138 13.44%
Atheism 309 30.09%
Buddhism 12 1.17%
Christianity (Please Specify) 408 39.73%
Hinduism 9 0.88%
Islam 33 3.21%
Judaism 17 1.66%
Wicca 17 1.66%
Other (Please Specify) 84 8.18%
Voters: 1027. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old July 19th, 2009, 08:54 PM   #1061
lamboman43
Nice Poster
 
lamboman43's Forum Picture
 
Name: Tanner
Join Date: August 23, 2008
Location: Wyoming, USA
Age: 23
Gender: Male
Blog Entries: 18
Default Re: Religion

You sure quote in chunks INFERNO. Kind of like chunky milk, but not as stinky and gross.

"Sell a man a fish, and he can eat for a day, teach a man to fish, and you lose a great business opportunity."- Karl Marx
lamboman43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 19th, 2009, 09:28 PM   #1062
Commander Thor
Awesome Poster
 
Commander Thor's Forum Picture
 
Name: Brandon
Join Date: May 9, 2008
Location: Upon My Chariot
Gender: Male
Default Re: Religion

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamboman43 View Post
You sure quote in chunks INFERNO. Kind of like chunky milk, but not as stinky and gross.
It's easier to understand when it's broken up like that.

Better than a giant block of text in response to another giant block of text.

Now, back on topic. :)


\/ \/ \/ \/ To below me \/ \/ \/ \/
Are you serious?
I was not backseat modding, and I did not have a problem with a post.
I was responding to his post, and telling him why it's better to have it broken up, than a giant block of text. (IMO anyway)
The 'Now, back on topic.' was ment to let him know not to respond to my post, but rather, just read it, then start posting about religion again.

GovChat Operator

Last edited by Commander Thor; July 19th, 2009 at 10:07 PM.
Commander Thor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 19th, 2009, 09:37 PM   #1063
The Batman
Banned
 
Name: Thomdam
Join Date: November 13, 2007
Location: Missouri
Age: 27
Gender: Male
Blog Entries: 19
Default Re: Religion

xbox360922 report a post you have a problem with instead of backseat modding.

Lamboman43 stay on topic and don't spam.

The rest of you need to calm down the fighting stops now anymore will result in infractions if you feel like someone is insulting you then report the post and a moderator will handle the situation.
The Batman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 20th, 2009, 06:52 AM   #1064
Death
Awesome Poster
 
Death's Forum Picture
 
Join Date: May 2, 2009
Location: Britain
Age: 23
Gender: Male
Default Re: Religion

Right INFERNO, I'll try to keep this as polite but still truthful as I can:

Quote:
Originally Posted by INFERNO View Post
I don't recall being very impolite in many instances.
Yes, but that is not all instances, now is it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by INFERNO View Post
Freedom of speech, I have every right to say whatever I wish.
Does that mean that if I wanted to, I could call you a moaning bastard? Or is that not allowed?

Quote:
Originally Posted by INFERNO View Post
Sounds reasonable enough.
You're not going to argue against this like you've argued against everything else I've said then?

Quote:
Originally Posted by INFERNO View Post
In my opinion, yes you were rude. I'm glad you've opened your eyes, your opinion of me is of no concern to me. You can think of me as an asshole or as an average joe or as nobody. I couldn't care less.
So you think that raising a question in order to make someone else question their faith in a debate is rude? Just because you only like debating in certain ways does not mean that you should start forcing others to debate in your way (I've said this before). How was I rude? Think about it INFERNO. If someone truly believes in God and Heaven (but not hell like a certain psot said and it was that quote which I was quoting), then why would they want to continue life if life on Earth is worse than Heaven? Why could they not go straight to Heaven? I am not encouraging anyone to commit suicide since I think it's stupid to do so even if you do believe in God since blind faith like that is foolish but I am basically getting religious people to think over their religion. I know that most religious people would not want to even think of killing themselves and thus, I am making them refute their own religion which is good (regardless of your own preferences) for a debate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by INFERNO View Post
Then how do you expect people to provide a reasonable promotion for a religion as you mentioned above?
By posting a reasonable argument which is backed up somehow which has some logic attatched to it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by INFERNO View Post
If you wish to say that then I can assume it applies to the both of us.
I never attacked you for your style of debate when I saw you refuting others - I actually agreed with you when you did so your point is void.

Quote:
Originally Posted by INFERNO View Post
If that is the case, then please show me where I lack understanding and provide an explanation(s).
I do not wish to start going back and grabbing things that you have said but I know that you have posted that you do not follow our concept or you do not understand what we are getting at (including peole with good points but have incoherant typing which I could understand but you couldn't) at various points.

Quote:
Originally Posted by INFERNO View Post
The funny thing about your responses is that you are insulting me also. Apparently our opinions differ quite a bit though. What you call civil debate to me seemed rather rude. I can tell the difference, however, it would also appear that my differences on them would likely be different than yours.
I insulted you after you started insulting me but I do not eish to go down ths road so can you drop it please? I am happy to debate so long as there's no bashing invlolved. I want to ask why I've seen contradictions in Bible stories, why some sources say one thing happened but other sources (sometimes, this is in the Bible itself so that book actually contradicts itself there) say other things. I am basically sayng that it makes what religion teaches unclear and should question its truthfulness. I'm also merely wondering why Christians say that Heaven is better than Earth but I want to continue on Earth and go to Heaven when I die naturally. I don't think that they should kill theselves for obvious reasons but I am getting them to see the flaw in their belief, nothing else. so, why then are both of the things I've said so?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donkey View Post
Perhaps the entire argument [the death penalty] can be summarised in just a sentence.

We kill people who kill people to show others that killing is wrong.
Death is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 20th, 2009, 05:44 PM   #1065
INFERNO
Awesome Poster
 
INFERNO's Forum Picture
 
Join Date: December 27, 2008
Location: Canada
Gender: Male
Default Re: Religion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Death View Post
Yes, but that is not all instances, now is it?
True, it is not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Death View Post
Does that mean that if I wanted to, I could call you a moaning bastard? Or is that not allowed?
You could call me a moaning bastard all you want to.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Death View Post
You're not going to argue against this like you've argued against everything else I've said then?
Nope because I found it to be quite reasonable and is something I myself would agree with.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Death View Post
So you think that raising a question in order to make someone else question their faith in a debate is rude?
No I do not think that it is rude. I think that the way the question can be conveyed can be considered rude.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Death View Post
Just because you only like debating in certain ways does not mean that you should start forcing others to debate in your way (I've said this before). How was I rude?
It was with the manner you used to ask the questions. In most cases, the idea you were getting at wasn't rude in any way, just the tone and such that you used to me was rude.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Death View Post
If someone truly believes in God and Heaven (but not hell like a certain psot said and it was that quote which I was quoting), then why would they want to continue life if life on Earth is worse than Heaven? Why could they not go straight to Heaven? I am not encouraging anyone to commit suicide since I think it's stupid to do so even if you do believe in God since blind faith like that is foolish but I am basically getting religious people to think over their religion.
With that particular instance, it came off to me as though you were encouraging them to kill themselves. I do understand that you were questioning their belief and that I have no problem with but it was the way you questioned, the tone you used.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Death View Post
I never attacked you for your style of debate when I saw you refuting others - I actually agreed with you when you did so your point is void.
My point still stands that both of us attacked others on here. I won't deny that I did and I'm quite certain you are well aware that you did also.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Death View Post
I do not wish to start going back and grabbing things that you have said but I know that you have posted that you do not follow our concept or you do not understand what we are getting at (including peole with good points but have incoherant typing which I could understand but you couldn't) at various points.
Then it's rather pointless to continue with this idea.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Death View Post
I insulted you after you started insulting me but I do not eish to go down ths road so can you drop it please? I am happy to debate so long as there's no bashing invlolved. I want to ask why I've seen contradictions in Bible stories, why some sources say one thing happened but other sources (sometimes, this is in the Bible itself so that book actually contradicts itself there) say other things. I am basically sayng that it makes what religion teaches unclear and should question its truthfulness. I'm also merely wondering why Christians say that Heaven is better than Earth but I want to continue on Earth and go to Heaven when I die naturally. I don't think that they should kill theselves for obvious reasons but I am getting them to see the flaw in their belief, nothing else. so, why then are both of the things I've said so?
Wait... did I read the part in bold correctly?

Some sources say different things because the bible, like all pieces of literature, is open to interpretation.

As for the contradictions, you can argue some of it is due to interpretation but in many places, yes, the bible does contradict itself. The reason I believe this is so is because there were numerous authors who contributed different parts to the bible.

As for your last question, you've said multiple things so I'm not sure what exactly you're referring to.

"That is my ambition, to have killed more people, more helpless people, than any man or woman who has ever lived." - Jane Toppan

"There's a pot of gold at the end of the rainbow, it's just a son of a bitch getting there" - Sully Erna of Godsmack
INFERNO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 20th, 2009, 08:40 PM   #1066
Death
Awesome Poster
 
Death's Forum Picture
 
Join Date: May 2, 2009
Location: Britain
Age: 23
Gender: Male
Default Re: Religion

Quote:
Originally Posted by INFERNO View Post
True, it is not.
With this, I agree.

Quote:
Originally Posted by INFERNO View Post
You could call me a moaning bastard all you want to.
Very well. I won't call you one though since I have better things to do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by INFERNO View Post
Nope because I found it to be quite reasonable and is something I myself would agree with.
Oh, okay. Just making sure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by INFERNO View Post
No I do not think that it is rude. I think that the way the question can be conveyed can be considered rude.
By some...

Quote:
Originally Posted by INFERNO View Post
It was with the manner you used to ask the questions. In most cases, the idea you were getting at wasn't rude in any way, just the tone and such that you used to me was rude.
In a few cases I accept this to an extent.

Quote:
Originally Posted by INFERNO View Post
With that particular instance, it came off to me as though you were encouraging them to kill themselves. I do understand that you were questioning their belief and that I have no problem with but it was the way you questioned, the tone you used.
But I never meant to use any specific tone except to question their beliefs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by INFERNO View Post
Wait... did I read the part in bold correctly?
Did you not?

Quote:
Originally Posted by INFERNO View Post
Some sources say different things because the bible, like all pieces of literature, is open to interpretation.
If it's open to interpretation, it makes it seem like its not solid and thus not as reliable but I suppose it can be.

Quote:
Originally Posted by INFERNO View Post
As for the contradictions, you can argue some of it is due to interpretation but in many places, yes, the bible does contradict itself. The reason I believe this is so is because there were numerous authors who contributed different parts to the bible.
This actually makes sense, I see where you're coming from.

Quote:
Originally Posted by INFERNO View Post
As for your last question, you've said multiple things so I'm not sure what exactly you're referring to.
My last question was basically asking the previous 2 questions again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donkey View Post
Perhaps the entire argument [the death penalty] can be summarised in just a sentence.

We kill people who kill people to show others that killing is wrong.
Death is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 20th, 2009, 09:18 PM   #1067
junkie
Junior Member
 
Name: basil basil
Join Date: July 20, 2009
Location: الأردن
Gender: Male
Default Re: Religion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chokechain View Post
One question that really has been on my mind...and other opinions.

First off, why do members of one faith criticize members of another? How can we know for sure that our faith is right?

I think that every major religion in the world holds a piece of the truth. If they all started acting in the manner they say they should, then maybe we could find the real truth.

Personally...I believe in a higher entity. Right now that idea is with belief in God. However, I don't label myself 'Christian' because I don't agree with some of the Christian beliefs. I agree with the beliefs of the Baptist denomination the most, though. I was raised Baptist. My mother was raised Catholic but at 17 broke away, my dad was raised Baptist.

I don't believe in the traditional fire and brimstone hell, though. I believe that if you die and your not worthy of God and the light, your soul stays here on Earth.

When it comes to the Islam world's anger at the Pope's statements, here's what I have to say:

1) The Pope quoted the writing that stated the Islam is violent and evil.
2) The Islam responds how? By violence!

so..yea...

What do you believe and why do you believe it?
first of all,pardon my English
am a Muslim and proud of it
i believe in god and god created the whole universe
i believe in heaven and hell coz its unfair if the bad guys got away with their actions without punishment
regarding the pope's statements muslims didnt respond by violence ...the media had given a wrong picture of islam by using "MIND CONTROL"
do u really buy that 9/11 and osama bin laden crap
9-11 WAS AN INSIDE JOB (do ur homework)
since u were a lil child u see all these movies about arabs and muslims with their camels,shootguns,wives.The media has BRAINWASHED you.
do u have any idea how many kids were killed during the war on iraq,
how many women were raped.
do u know GAZA (google if u dont) .
am so sick of the stereotyping and calling us terrorists while the REAL terrorists are being called heros.
bottom line:
Muslims are not bad they r just like any other ppl.
we also believe in the bible and Jesus.
all the respect

Last edited by junkie; July 20th, 2009 at 09:28 PM.
junkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 20th, 2009, 11:41 PM   #1068
optimashprime
Banned
 
Name: elliot
Join Date: February 16, 2008
Location: england
Age: 23
Gender: Male
Blog Entries: 1
Default Re: Religion

did you know jedi is a religion and im not making that up bucause at my school i have a book called this is re 3 (or something like that) and it said jedi is a religion
optimashprime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 21st, 2009, 12:41 AM   #1069
Sage
Banned
 
Name: Sage
Join Date: April 21, 2007
Age: 24
Gender: Female
Blog Entries: 10
Default Re: Religion

Quote:
Originally Posted by junkie View Post
first of all,pardon my English
You are pardoned. : )

[QUOTE=junkie;582767]am a Muslim and proud of it[quote]

Good for you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by junkie View Post
i believe in god and god created the whole universe
Who created God?

Quote:
Originally Posted by junkie View Post
i believe in heaven and hell coz its unfair if the bad guys got away with their actions without punishment
It might be unfair, but that doesn't make it untrue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by junkie View Post
regarding the pope's statements muslims didnt respond by violence ...the media had given a wrong picture of islam by using "MIND CONTROL"
Not really. A few muslims are just very radical. Most are not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by junkie View Post
do u really buy that 9/11 and osama bin laden crap
Yes because that's where the evidence points.

Quote:
Originally Posted by junkie View Post
9-11 WAS AN INSIDE JOB (do ur homework)
No, it was not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by junkie View Post
since u were a lil child u see all these movies about arabs and muslims with their camels,shootguns,wives.The media has BRAINWASHED you.
Stereotypes exist for a reason. Some muslims are like that. They, however, do not represent all muslims.

Quote:
Originally Posted by junkie View Post
am so sick of the stereotyping and calling us terrorists while the REAL terrorists are being called heros.
I will agree with you that it's a bad thing that terrorists are making normal muslims look bad. As for whether or not American soldiers are terrorists themselves, that is another debate in itself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by junkie View Post
bottom line:
Muslims are not bad they r just like any other ppl.
we also believe in the bible and Jesus.
all the respect
I will agree, but you must admit there are a few who do hold radical terrorist beliefs.
Sage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 21st, 2009, 01:32 AM   #1070
Wonder.
Awesome Poster
 
Join Date: May 25, 2009
Gender: Undisclosed
Blog Entries: 6
Default Re: Religion

What exactly am I if I believe there was a god but he was just a normal person without powers and diddn't create the the universe. He lived. He died. The end.

I don't believe it. What am I? Atheist? Or just a person who is different then other people?

.•°•.•°•.•°•.•°•.•°•.•°•.•°•.•°•.•°•.•°•.•°•.•°•.•°•.•°•.•°•.•°•.•°•.•°•

Last edited by Wonder.; July 21st, 2009 at 09:29 AM. Reason: Freak out because it was late at night
Wonder. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 21st, 2009, 07:14 AM   #1071
junkie
Junior Member
 
Name: basil basil
Join Date: July 20, 2009
Location: الأردن
Gender: Male
Default Re: Religion

[QUOTE=Deschain;582957]You are pardoned. : )

[QUOTE=junkie;582767]am a Muslim and proud of it
Quote:

Good for you.

thx

Who created God?

nobody.






Not really. A few muslims are just very radical. Most are not.

radical muslims represnt less than 1% of muslims around the world

Yes because that's where the evidence points.
like...


No, it was not.
yes it was
profs proved that 911 is an inside job
check these vids
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iS2rlAoKiy4&feature=fvst
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ezIU6ZxYU3A
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ssuAMNas1us



I will agree with you that it's a bad thing that terrorists are making normal muslims look bad. As for whether or not American soldiers are terrorists themselves, that is another debate in itself.



I will agree, but you must admit there are a few who do hold radical terrorist beliefs.
Islam is not the only reliigon where some people are extremist, and that other religions also have extremists or people with false beliefs. Look at the KKK thing.
junkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 21st, 2009, 07:23 AM   #1072
Sage
Banned
 
Name: Sage
Join Date: April 21, 2007
Age: 24
Gender: Female
Blog Entries: 10
Default Re: Religion

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackbat8 View Post
There is no heaven
There is no hell.
There was a god.
But then he fell.
If you believe there was a god but said god either disappeared or doesn't do anything or doesn't care or something along those lines, you're a deist. It's a seperate position from theist and atheist.
Sage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 21st, 2009, 07:30 AM   #1073
BuryYourFlame
Awesome Poster
 
BuryYourFlame's Forum Picture
 
Join Date: January 15, 2009
Age: 24
Gender: Undisclosed
Default Re: Religion

Quote:
Originally Posted by junkie View Post
first of all,pardon my English
am a Muslim and proud of it
i believe in god and god created the whole universe
i believe in heaven and hell coz its unfair if the bad guys got away with their actions without punishment
regarding the pope's statements muslims didnt respond by violence ...the media had given a wrong picture of islam by using "MIND CONTROL"
do u really buy that 9/11 and osama bin laden crap
9-11 WAS AN INSIDE JOB (do ur homework)
since u were a lil child u see all these movies about arabs and muslims with their camels,shootguns,wives.The media has BRAINWASHED you.
do u have any idea how many kids were killed during the war on iraq,
how many women were raped.
do u know GAZA (google if u dont) .
am so sick of the stereotyping and calling us terrorists while the REAL terrorists are being called heros.
bottom line:
Muslims are not bad they r just like any other ppl.
we also believe in the bible and Jesus.
all the respect
A quote from the Koran, not exact, but close enough:
Quote:
When you meet the unbelievers, smite their necks.
just putting that out there......

Declan
6 years on and I'm still here for some reason.
~Laura was here~
BuryYourFlame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 21st, 2009, 07:45 AM   #1074
junkie
Junior Member
 
Name: basil basil
Join Date: July 20, 2009
Location: الأردن
Gender: Male
Default Re: Religion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jetfire View Post
A quote from the Koran, not exact, but close enough:


just putting that out there......

this quote is taken out of context
smite their nicks if there is a war and they r fighting the unbleviers
so before just criticizing and smearing the religion ask around and do some research !!!
junkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 21st, 2009, 07:50 AM   #1075
BuryYourFlame
Awesome Poster
 
BuryYourFlame's Forum Picture
 
Join Date: January 15, 2009
Age: 24
Gender: Undisclosed
Default Re: Religion

i was not critisizing, mearly questioning, which is what this thread is about. thank you for clarifying.

Declan
6 years on and I'm still here for some reason.
~Laura was here~
BuryYourFlame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 21st, 2009, 07:59 AM   #1076
junkie
Junior Member
 
Name: basil basil
Join Date: July 20, 2009
Location: الأردن
Gender: Male
Default Re: Religion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jetfire View Post
i was not critisizing, mearly questioning, which is what this thread is about. thank you for clarifying.
most welcome
[/QUOTE]
junkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 21st, 2009, 08:55 AM   #1077
sebbie
Nice Poster
 
sebbie's Forum Picture
 
Join Date: June 6, 2009
Location: UK
Age: 26
Gender: Male
Default Re: Religion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jetfire View Post
A quote from the Koran, not exact, but close enough:

Quote:

When you meet the unbelievers, smite their necks.

just putting that out there......
You should cite the chapter where you got this from.
The Koran has several verse's some containing how to act during war, others peace.

The general Islam view on other faiths is to try to convert, by methods of peace not by death. A view shared by most religions. Of course the words are always open to interpritation however I recommend that you take into account the whole chapter than just quoting a line.

-Sebbie

FEEL FREE TO PM ME..
FEEL FREE TO GIVE ME POSITIVE REP TO!
sebbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 21st, 2009, 09:49 AM   #1078
junkie
Junior Member
 
Name: basil basil
Join Date: July 20, 2009
Location: الأردن
Gender: Male
Default Re: Religion

Quote:
Originally Posted by sebbie View Post
You should cite the chapter where you got this from.
The Koran has several verse's some containing how to act during war, others peace.

The general Islam view on other faiths is to try to convert, by methods of peace not by death. A view shared by most religions. Of course the words are always open to interpritation however I recommend that you take into account the whole chapter than just quoting a line.
well said dude.
junkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 21st, 2009, 11:50 AM   #1079
Death
Awesome Poster
 
Death's Forum Picture
 
Join Date: May 2, 2009
Location: Britain
Age: 23
Gender: Male
Default Re: Religion

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackbat8 View Post
What exactly am I if I believe there was a god but he was just a normal person without powers and diddn't create the the universe. He lived. He died. The end.

I don't believe it. What am I? Atheist? Or just a person who is different then other people?
If you are refering to Jesus as a normal person, I would agree and I would call you an Athiest. If you mean a God as in that invisible man in some undefined location in the sky being a person who died, then I'm not really sure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donkey View Post
Perhaps the entire argument [the death penalty] can be summarised in just a sentence.

We kill people who kill people to show others that killing is wrong.
Death is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 24th, 2009, 03:03 AM   #1080
BuryYourFlame
Awesome Poster
 
BuryYourFlame's Forum Picture
 
Join Date: January 15, 2009
Age: 24
Gender: Undisclosed
Default Re: Religion

another question, mainly for junkie, but others can answer.

why is the penatly for apostasy (leaving Islam) instant death, yet people say Islam is a peaceful religion? surely that is not a sign of a peaceful religion?

again, just trying to increase understanding.

Declan
6 years on and I'm still here for some reason.
~Laura was here~
BuryYourFlame is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:13 PM.


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright©2000 - 2018
Search Engine Optimisation provided by DragonByte SEO (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2018 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Copyright © 2004 - 2018, VirtualTeen.org