Go Back   Virtual Teen Forums > >
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read Chat Room

Old June 11th, 2019, 07:54 PM   #1
RyanIsGay24
Awesome Poster

RyanIsGay24's Forum Picture

Name: Ryan
Default USA vs. Thailand !

The United States’ women’s soccer team beat Thailand’s 13-0, making it the best winning score of any team in World Cup history, men or women’s. What r ur guys’ reactions. I think it’s fucking fantastic !

We real cool. We
Left school. We
Lurk late. We
Strike straight. We
Sing sin. We
Thin gin. We
Jazz June. We
Die soon
RyanIsGay24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 11th, 2019, 08:33 PM   #2
ska8er
Legendary Member

ska8er's Forum Picture

Name: Andy
Default Re: USA vs. Thailand !

Yes they r skilled.
ska8er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 11th, 2019, 10:40 PM   #3
karacoustic
Awesome Poster

karacoustic's Forum Picture

Name: Kara

Count 'em!

So long and thanks for all the fish!
karacoustic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 11th, 2019, 10:49 PM   #4
Jameson9
Member++

Jameson9's Forum Picture

Name: James

The disrespect

PM me if you want
Jameson9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 11th, 2019, 11:14 PM   #5
RyanIsGay24
Awesome Poster

RyanIsGay24's Forum Picture

Name: Ryan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jameson9 View Post
The disrespect
? What u mean?

We real cool. We
Left school. We
Lurk late. We
Strike straight. We
Sing sin. We
Thin gin. We
Jazz June. We
Die soon
RyanIsGay24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 11th, 2019, 11:16 PM   #6
Jameson9
Member++

Jameson9's Forum Picture

Name: James

The score difference was so high that it was just plain disrespectful
Or
The USWNT just disrespected Thailands team and nation as a whole

PM me if you want
Jameson9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 11th, 2019, 11:54 PM   #7
karacoustic
Awesome Poster

karacoustic's Forum Picture

Name: Kara

Quote:
Or
It is not USWNT's fault that the rules are set up the way they are. Goal differential plays a role in a tie breaker to determine who advances.

Quote:

There is no mercy rule in the World Cup as the USWNT clearly showed against Thailand in the team’s opening match. As the United States dropped a 10-piece plus three on Thailand, fans were wondering if the game would eventually be called given the score was out of reach. The reason there is no mercy rule is because goal differential is used as a tiebreaker for teams to advance to the knockout stage.

There is no extra time in the group stage so the number of goals scored impact which teams advance when teams have the same number of points. CBS News detailed the lack of a mercy rule in most soccer tournaments.

Due to the generally low-scoring nature of soccer games, there are no widely-used mercy rules. With one exception. The International Blind Sports Federation, which helps visually-impaired athletes compete in the Para-Olympics and other tournaments, requires that any time during a soccer game that one team has scored ten more goals than the other team that game is deemed completed.

Team USA hopes to continue their World Cup momentum against Chile on Sunday, June 16 at 12 p.m. Eastern. Prior to the start of the tournament, Alex Morgan emphasized the team did not feel any pressure despite the lofty expectations.

“This team has always had high pressure, especially in big tournaments,” Morgan told The Washington Post. “That’s for a reason. We have a rich history of success, and that’s one of the reasons we set high expectations for ourselves and people [have] expectations for us. This team is united in a way we have never seen it before.”

After setting a World Cup career high with five goals, Morgan definitely looked the part against Thailand.

World Cup Tiebreakers Explain Lack of Mercy Rule

As the U.S. showed against Thailand, teams have to take advantage of scoring goals when they can because you never know how the standings will play out. CBS News detailed how the tiebreakers work in the World Cup.

The Winner and runner-up from each of the six groups automatically advance to the knockout stage round of 16. The remaining four teams are selected by the next-highest point totals in the following groupings: A-C-D, B-E-F, C-D-E and A-B-F. There are eight tiebreakers for each of the third-place teams ranging from number of goals scored, number of goals allowed and fouls accumulated. If two teams are dead even after all tiebreakers, lots are drawn to determine which advances.

The United States put themselves in a good position to win a tiebreaker against Sweden if it comes to that in Group F. USA now has a healthy lead in the goal differential category as it is tied with Sweden atop the Group F standings.

So long and thanks for all the fish!

Last edited by karacoustic; June 12th, 2019 at 12:02 AM.
karacoustic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 12th, 2019, 01:40 AM   #8
InternetTeen
Awesome Poster

US dominated. Thailand only had 2 shots and the US had 40.
InternetTeen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 12th, 2019, 02:28 PM   #9
stoneflowe96
Nice Poster

Name: Katja

Quote:
Or
This isn't disrespectful. In football the team with the most goals wins. It is no sign of disrespect, but rather quality in players. Also in earlier years such results were not uncommen. The highest win of any German football team was the men team of 1908 against Russia in the Olypic Summer Games with 16:0.
stoneflowe96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 12th, 2019, 02:32 PM   #10
Jessica.lang19

Jessica.lang19's Forum Picture

Name: Jessica

Not disrespectful at all. You play till the whistle blows! GOOD JOB GIRLS!!!!!
Jessica.lang19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 13th, 2019, 08:21 PM   #11
teenboyNathan
Awesome Poster

Name: Nathan

Quote:
Or
It would've been disrespectful to play down to Thailand's level. Tell Thailand to try harder. It's not the USA's fault that they are much better and that goal differential plays a big part in the World Cup

PM me anytime for a chat

Straight-Curious
teenboyNathan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 13th, 2019, 10:38 PM   #12
Ben7
Member+

Great job by the US women's national soccer team! I only wish the men's national soccer team was half as good as the ladies so that they could at least qualify for the World Cup.
Ben7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 16th, 2019, 07:15 PM   #13
Zika
Awesome Poster

Since this thread was posted, I've read a few articles in online papers in which the author (all American papers) commented on the lack of sportsmanship in the USA vs Thai game.

The one issue was continuing to score goals once it was clear the US would win. I understand there are reasons for that.

But the other issue was the over-celebration of each goal, even once it was clear we would win, such as when it was 9-0. People felt it was gloating, throwing it in the Thais' faces, not being very gracious.
It was pointed out journalists have made the same remarks regarding other sports, such as (American) football, baseball, etc.

Would it have looked better if the team toned down the exuberant celebrations after each goal, given it was such a mismatch?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben7 View Post
I only wish the men's national soccer team was half as good as the ladies so that they could at least qualify for the World Cup.

I'm not sure the gentlemen's soccer team is not as good as the women's, but rather that the level of play in men's soccer is greater than that in women's soccer.

Last edited by Zika; June 16th, 2019 at 09:58 PM.
Zika is online now   Reply With Quote
Old June 16th, 2019, 11:45 PM   #14
Ben7
Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zika View Post
I'm not sure the gentlemen's soccer team is not as good as the women's, but rather that the level of play in men's soccer is greater than that in women's soccer.
May be that men play at different level than women, but irrespective of that, one would hope that in all of America, one would be able to find at least 11 good-enough male players to stand a fighting chance against the European national teams.
Ben7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 17th, 2019, 01:55 AM   #15
InternetTeen
Awesome Poster

Quote:
May be that men play at different level than women, but irrespective of that, one would hope that in all of America, one would be able to find at least 11 good-enough male players to stand a fighting chance against the European national teams.
I guess most American athletes go to sports like baseball and basketball which America is significantly better at. Football isn't as popular in America whereas in Europe it's probably the most popular sport. I've also heard America has a pay-to-play system which is holding them back.
Old June 17th, 2019, 02:42 PM   #16
Adamant
Nice Poster

Adamant's Forum Picture

Name: Adam

Quote:
Originally Posted by teenboyNathan View Post
It would've been disrespectful to play down to Thailand's level. Tell Thailand to try harder. It's not the USA's fault that they are much better and that goal differential plays a big part in the World Cup
Of course there will be a big gap. Some teams are professional and some aren't.
I didn't see what happened but don't see how a competitive sports person isn't going to celebrate scoring a goal. It mighht be their first for their country of getting a record or a hat trick/
No shame in being pleased with success.
Adamant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 17th, 2019, 04:59 PM   #17
Zika
Awesome Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by InternetTeen View Post
I guess most American athletes go to sports like baseball and basketball which America is significantly better at. Football isn't as popular in America whereas in Europe it's probably the most popular sport. I've also heard America has a pay-to-play system which is holding them back.
What's a pay to play system in sports?
I'm familiar with that term in politics, but haven't heard it in sports context.
Old June 17th, 2019, 05:08 PM   #18
Zika
Awesome Poster

Quote:
I don't really know how to account for it, except that different countries excel at different sports. It may be that our best athletes are on baseball, basketball and (American) football teams.

Just thinking about it now, I don't recall anyone ever having a pick up soccer game. We play b-ball, b-ball and football growing up, but unless you're on a school team, soccer doesn't really seem to be the game of choice, at least for guys. I imagine in other countries guys get together to play soccer like we do basketball, so they've honed their skills most of their life.
I've received softballs, bats, a glove and a basketball as birthday gifts, but never a soccer ball.

Now the geek comes out in me: does anyone know what the name of the geometric design on a soccer ball is? And it's cheating to look it up
Old June 18th, 2019, 01:53 AM   #19
InternetTeen
Awesome Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zika View Post
What's a pay to play system in sports?
I'm familiar with that term in politics, but haven't heard it in sports context.
It's basically paying to play a sport. It's seen as a negative as it limits playing high level football to more wealthy people. I'm sure there were many people who were very talented but they couldn't participate in high level football because they can't afford it.
Old June 19th, 2019, 01:48 PM   #20
Zika
Awesome Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by InternetTeen View Post
It's basically paying to play a sport. It's seen as a negative as it limits playing high level football to more wealthy people. I'm sure there were many people who were very talented but they couldn't participate in high level football because they can't afford it.
I'm still confused. Are you talking about backdoor deals to get on a team?
As far as I know, pro athletes are paid to play, they don't pay.

I know for the olympics, each athlete has to find his/her own sponsors and ones who come from wealthy families may have an easier time with that, but that's not considered pro-sports.