Go Back   Virtual Teen Forums > >
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read Chat Room

Old May 26th, 2019, 02:35 PM   #1
Natacha
Awesome Poster

Name: Natacha
Default IF ...

Hey everyone

I'm not trying to step on anyones toe, and to make sure I don't do that, surpose this is a strictly hypothetical question

If suddenly there was undisputed evidence, that there are no gods, how do you think people on earth would react?

Don't give answers like "It will never happen"
Try to deal with the hypothetical situation... Are people around the world behaving the way we do, because religion is holding us in check?

Last edited by Natacha; May 26th, 2019 at 03:22 PM.
Natacha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26th, 2019, 03:15 PM   #2
NoLimitGuy
Member+

Default Re: IF ...

Firstly, define, what is a "human" behaviour? Because as far as humans behave anyway, it's "human" and religion has nothing to do with it... Secondly, about the evidence
There already are evidences that God is nothing but a scam and fearmonhering mechanism for imbeciles... But to your question there is a simple answer - morons will cry, anyone else will just move on. Because life doesn't end when your most adored fairy tale has been taken away from you...
NoLimitGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26th, 2019, 03:24 PM   #3
Natacha
Awesome Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoLimitGuy View Post
Firstly, define, what is a "human" behaviour? Because as far as humans behave anyway, it's "human" and religion has nothing to do with it... Secondly, about the evidence
There already are evidences that God is nothing but a scam and fearmonhering mechanism for imbeciles... But to your question there is a simple answer - morons will cry, anyone else will just move on. Because life doesn't end when your most adored fairy tale has been taken away from you...
I've tried to chance the original post, so there will be no more confusion.
And thank you for your contribution
Old May 26th, 2019, 03:29 PM   #4
NoLimitGuy
Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natacha View Post
I've tried to chance the original post, so there will be no more confusion.
And thank you for your contribution
Now, that's better, the question has become more specific that way... And to give the answer - humans behave like they behave, no more, no less and religion is never the reason to our behaviour. It can help "mask" some traits or make them more visible, but it can't obliterate or create any...
NoLimitGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26th, 2019, 03:50 PM   #5
Ginger Spice

Ginger Spice's Forum Picture

Name: Gracyn

I truly believe many people would go into a deep depression because if you think about it what are a lot of these churches based on? They are based on contributions from the members and many people give a lot of money over time to the church based on there faith. If that all falls through it would all be a complete waste and a fraud. Many people would go into a deep depression over that I would believe. You would also have those other people who would search for other answers and others even go further and come up and say they themselves are a the true God and try to develop cults. I think cults would surface a lot more around the world.
Ginger Spice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26th, 2019, 04:23 PM   #6
mattsmith48
VT Voice of reason

Name: matt

Quote:
Hey everyone

I'm not trying to step on anyones toe, and to make sure I don't do that, surpose this is a strictly hypothetical question

If suddenly there was undisputed evidence, that there are no gods, how do you think people on earth would react?

Try to deal with the hypothetical situation... Are people around the world behaving the way we do, because religion is holding us in check?
Most religious people would deny it and become conspiracy theorists like flat earthers, creationists, climate change hoaxers, anti-vaxxers, etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattsmith48
There is no such thing as liberal or conservative media, the only thing the media cares about is either money or the truth.
mattsmith48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27th, 2019, 03:03 AM   #7
Pultost
Mushroom Lover

Pultost's Forum Picture

Name: Anita

Atheists would shrug and say "I told you so", unemployment would go up since priests, bishops etc. world wide would be out of a job, Islamists wouldn't notice, since they're too busy blowing sh*t up.

"A shovel is never not useful".

-Lee Everett
Pultost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27th, 2019, 04:00 AM   #8
lliam
VT Lover

lliam's Forum Picture

Name: Liam
Location: The new ground on the hill with the Pacific beach nearby and the great wild beyond.

Those who believe live on, because they never needed any evidence for the existence of god(s). And those, who searched for evidence, have to face the truth.

so, I doubt that would be a huge impact on those who have truely face in some devine stuff. And as for the others ... those (fake) believers, it may be a tragedy they have to overcome, but it imo will be no new news to others who never believed.

"Life is that prison you'll never leave alive."

lliam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27th, 2019, 09:18 AM   #9
Zika
Awesome Poster

It would be interesting.

Last edited by Zika; May 27th, 2019 at 10:20 PM.
Zika is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27th, 2019, 09:31 AM   #10
Natacha
Awesome Poster

I would like a cleaner tone in here. It's not a fight of phobias or whatever
Old May 27th, 2019, 10:32 AM   #11
mattsmith48
VT Voice of reason

Name: matt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pultost View Post
Atheists would shrug and say "I told you so", unemployment would go up since priests, bishops etc. world wide would be out of a job
They would just get another job with easy access to children.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattsmith48
There is no such thing as liberal or conservative media, the only thing the media cares about is either money or the truth.
mattsmith48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27th, 2019, 10:21 PM   #12
PlasmaHam
Awesome Poster

The basis of your question is somewhat flawed. If would be impossible to "prove" that there is no God or gods. It would be the height of hubris (bonus points for those who know the Greek origins of that word) to assume that we can or have done. If someone did "prove the absence of God", it could be easily dismissed by claiming that the divine is simply too impossible for humanity to prove or disprove by ourselves. I know in Judeo-Chrisianity that God is defined as impossible for humans to comprehend, I'm sure other religions have some similar doctrines. So no, I don't it will happen nor ever will happen.

But because you did insist we ignore the how it would happen, and simply that it did, I will play along. In the West I think there would me minimal impact. The Right will likely suffer some politically, far-left cultural liberalism would likely see a marked rise as religious morality is no longer a thing. Personal charities will also suffer, as studies have shown that the religious give more than the non-religion, and many operate as extensions of religious organizations.

One a global stage, many lesser developed nations with strong connections between religion and society will devolve into likely chaos. Communism may start to gain ground in some places, as one of it's tenants is putting the state up as the ultimate authority, and with people losing their God or gods as their authority, they would be looking for one. Foreign charity will also suffer much like American domestic charity. Religious missionaries, many of which running schools and hospitals across 3rd world nations, will begin abandoning those projects as their ultimate goal of spreading religious doctrine is now moot.

Worse of all though, Chick-fil-A will likely degrade to the level of McDonalds. The horror....
PlasmaHam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28th, 2019, 10:26 PM   #13
SouthernDude
Member+

SouthernDude's Forum Picture

Name: Matt

I'm not really sure how I would think about it, being raised as a Baptist.

From the South. I'm a dude.

The end.

http://www.virtualteen.org/forums/sh....php?t=2051691 - my AMA
SouthernDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 30th, 2019, 06:21 PM   #14
Catt
Member++

Catt's Forum Picture

Name: Catriona

After the wars that would start settled I think many would just deny deny deny and keep on going
The various religions would insist they still exist
Catt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 15th, 2019, 12:55 AM   #15
Uniquemind
VT Lover

40% of the world would freak, but 60% would be accepting and actually relieved and push worldwide logic as a new cornerstone for morality.

Wars would still be a thing though because of competition for food, sex opportunity and power, money, and those motivated by chemical drug induced highs would still be a going crazy.

You know the people who rob others so they can get high? Yeah those people still exist and cause problems.

Also all past miracles in recent memory would need to be disproven and replicated at will in the same way we can take dirty water and filter it to clean status now.

Science would have to solve the problem of thermodynamics, solve the problem of, how does something come from nothing.

That’s what Steven Hawking and a few others were working on; and it’s still not solved.

The Big Bang Theory has this problem.
Uniquemind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 22nd, 2019, 01:07 AM   #16
RCT109
Banned

RCT109's Forum Picture

Name: S

I believe you will have those who are with out a doubt still going to practice and fallow the laws of their religion as a way of normalcy and others who will adjust and other who take arms against one and other
RCT109 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 23rd, 2019, 10:32 AM   #17
pauly
Nice Poster

pauly's Forum Picture

Name: paul

Quote:
Hey everyone

The most likely answer to your hypothetical question is that countries whose rulers depend on religion to maintain law and order would probably see unrest in the short term. And then the people would realise they're hungry for a non-religious lifestyle and there would be a mass exodus to the West.

Meanwhile the Western leaders would be reluctant to let them in, as we can see from the present leadership of the U.S.A.

In short, the world would have to endure short-medium term turmoil until people of all faiths and none started talking sensibly and sensitively to each other in order to try to reach an agreement on the future path of the world.

But remember that "proving" that God (or any other higher power) doesn't exist has been proposed many times by the scientific community. Yet nothing has changed and those who wish to believe continue to do so whereas those who don't carry on in a secular lifestyle.
pauly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 24th, 2019, 07:25 AM   #18
Uniquemind
VT Lover

I actually have no doubt that this day is coming but it will be a bad historical turning point for mankind.

Adding to my original post there would be a lot of chaos, vigilante justice and rampant hedonistic behavior including that of people who take pleasure in manipulating and harming others.

Religious power structure would be gone, but corporate and monetary power systems would still exist allowing corruption and control to exist.
Uniquemind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 30th, 2019, 03:32 PM   #19
Adamant
Awesome Poster

Adamant's Forum Picture

Name: Adam

Not sure it would make a huge difference to most peopel. Most people where I live either don't believe in god anyway or ignore the teaching that they don't like already. OK there are lots of kiods in my school from different faiths who are brought up strict but it seems to be there culture as much as the religion and maybe it would take a generation to change it.
Adamant is online now   Reply With Quote