Virtual Teen Forums
 

Go Back   Virtual Teen Forums > >
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read Chat Room

View Poll Results: What is your religion?
Agnosticism 138 13.40%
Atheism 311 30.19%
Buddhism 12 1.17%
Christianity (Please Specify) 409 39.71%
Hinduism 9 0.87%
Islam 33 3.20%
Judaism 17 1.65%
Wicca 17 1.65%
Other (Please Specify) 84 8.16%
Voters: 1030. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old November 14th, 2009, 05:36 PM   #1161
Sage
Banned
 
Name: Sage
Join Date: April 21, 2007
Age: 24
Gender: Female
Blog Entries: 10
Default Re: Religion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Death View Post
Why is it that polytheism is seemingly so uncommon?
It's not. Go to India.
Sage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 14th, 2009, 05:52 PM   #1162
Death
Awesome Poster
 
Death's Forum Picture
 
Join Date: May 2, 2009
Location: Britain
Age: 23
Gender: Male
Default Re: Religion

I was more referring to this site. From the votes, there are very few polytheists. Why do the monotheists and atheists come here more? Is it pehaps because in the areas where polytheism is usually existant, they either go on these sites less or not at all (maybe because they can't?)?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donkey View Post
Perhaps the entire argument [the death penalty] can be summarised in just a sentence.

We kill people who kill people to show others that killing is wrong.
Death is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 14th, 2009, 06:03 PM   #1163
Sage
Banned
 
Name: Sage
Join Date: April 21, 2007
Age: 24
Gender: Female
Blog Entries: 10
Default Re: Religion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Death View Post
I was more referring to this site. From the votes, there are very few polytheists. Why do the monotheists and atheists come here more? Is it pehaps because in the areas where polytheism is usually existant, they either go on these sites less or not at all (maybe because they can't?)?
Because the majority of people on primarily english-speaking websites tend to come from North America, Australia, or the UK, where monotheism and atheism are the majorities.
Sage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 14th, 2009, 06:31 PM   #1164
Suicune
Awesome Poster
 
Suicune's Forum Picture
 
Name: Marcus
Join Date: October 24, 2009
Location: New England
Age: 21
Gender: Male
Default Re: Religion

Well I'm Christian.. I bleive there's a God and Jesus and all that stuff. But I'm not like all absorbed in it and acting like a male nun.

Suicune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 15th, 2009, 06:21 AM   #1165
Ulthran
New Member
 
Name: Josh
Join Date: November 14, 2009
Gender: Male
Default Re: Religion

I'm a pretty "hardcore" atheist (More like an antitheist). I have gone to a church once or twice to debate the existence of God (my friend is a "hardcore" Christian, goes to Bible Camp, Christian "Rock" Concerts, dad's a minister etc. and he invited me to go to "prove" that God exists").

I don't really have a hatred for any religions, but I do dislike Christianity, as to me (and an ex-Christian friend who brought this up) they are incredibly close-minded (sorry, can't think of the exact word right now), as during the Crusades when Christianity took control over Jerusalem they massacred every single Muslim in sight, women, children, anyone (after all the battles), but when Islam took control over Jerusalem again, they just let all the Crusaders and their families go home :/

And people say that Islam is a violent religion?

EDIT: Oh, and if anyone wants to talk to me about religion, message me
Ulthran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 15th, 2009, 10:16 AM   #1166
Brazdar
Member
 
Join Date: November 25, 2007
Gender: Male
Default Re: Religion

Lately I've started to consider myself an ignostic; how can people believe in someone's or something's existence or absence when you don't know it's true meaning, it's definition?
Brazdar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 15th, 2009, 06:48 PM   #1167
Sage
Banned
 
Name: Sage
Join Date: April 21, 2007
Age: 24
Gender: Female
Blog Entries: 10
Default Re: Religion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulthran View Post
I don't really have a hatred for any religions, but I do dislike Christianity, as to me (and an ex-Christian friend who brought this up) they are incredibly close-minded (sorry, can't think of the exact word right now), as during the Crusades when Christianity took control over Jerusalem they massacred every single Muslim in sight, women, children, anyone (after all the battles), but when Islam took control over Jerusalem again, they just let all the Crusaders and their families go home :/

And people say that Islam is a violent religion?
In the past, Christianity was the most violent religion. In the modern day, Islam is the most violent religion. Not to say either has never been peaceful. I know many muslims who are very kind and accepting of others.
Sage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 18th, 2009, 09:52 PM   #1168
ThatDude93
Nice Poster
 
ThatDude93's Forum Picture
 
Join Date: August 10, 2008
Location: Midwestern US
Age: 25
Gender: Male
Blog Entries: 1
Default Re: Religion

I am a Protestant Christian
ThatDude93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 19th, 2009, 03:09 PM   #1169
Death
Awesome Poster
 
Death's Forum Picture
 
Join Date: May 2, 2009
Location: Britain
Age: 23
Gender: Male
Default Re: Religion

May I ask why?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donkey View Post
Perhaps the entire argument [the death penalty] can be summarised in just a sentence.

We kill people who kill people to show others that killing is wrong.
Death is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 19th, 2009, 03:18 PM   #1170
Kapitan Kokenbalz
Junior Member
 
Kapitan Kokenbalz's Forum Picture
 
Name: Enzo
Join Date: November 18, 2009
Gender: Male
Default Re: Religion

Atheism wins.

Hell = the grave, by the way.

http://www.newswatchmagazine.org/res...hatishell2.htm

^ Makes more sense than anything the Bible has to offer, hands down.

My sentiments are opiates; this platform is an odium.
Kapitan Kokenbalz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 19th, 2009, 03:49 PM   #1171
The Batman
Banned
 
Name: Thomdam
Join Date: November 13, 2007
Location: Missouri
Age: 28
Gender: Male
Blog Entries: 19
Default Re: Religion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kapitan Kokenbalz View Post
Atheism wins.

Hell = the grave, by the way.

http://www.newswatchmagazine.org/res...hatishell2.htm

^ Makes more sense than anything the Bible has to offer, hands down.
Doesn't seem like anything more than someone using their own interpretation of the bible to prove a point just like any thing else.
The Batman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 19th, 2009, 04:07 PM   #1172
Death
Awesome Poster
 
Death's Forum Picture
 
Join Date: May 2, 2009
Location: Britain
Age: 23
Gender: Male
Default Re: Religion

But that's still saying that the point's proved. Although it sure does make sense though, theists have no way of knowing anything that they 'know'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donkey View Post
Perhaps the entire argument [the death penalty] can be summarised in just a sentence.

We kill people who kill people to show others that killing is wrong.
Death is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 19th, 2009, 06:21 PM   #1173
Sage
Banned
 
Name: Sage
Join Date: April 21, 2007
Age: 24
Gender: Female
Blog Entries: 10
Default Re: Religion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Death View Post
theists have no way of knowing anything that they 'know'.
That's because theists have faith and look at things through a religious paradigm and not a scientific one. You're being no more ignorant than they are by stating that the only way to know anything is through science. Simply put, scientific paradigms work in solving scientific issues and religious paradigms work in solving theistic issues.
Sage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 19th, 2009, 10:53 PM   #1174
ThatDude93
Nice Poster
 
ThatDude93's Forum Picture
 
Join Date: August 10, 2008
Location: Midwestern US
Age: 25
Gender: Male
Blog Entries: 1
Default Re: Religion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Death View Post
May I ask why?

Because it makes sense to me, I don't get how something can come fron nothing. I like science and I am a Christian. But I do see holes in both that can be filled by the other. Obviously there will always be questions, and some will go unanswered, but I believe that science and religion can coexist. Also, my religion makes perfect sense to me. I am probably bot going to be a great source of knowledge to answer a bunch of questions though.

Anyway, I hope answered your question even in the slightest way.
ThatDude93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 19th, 2009, 10:57 PM   #1175
Sage
Banned
 
Name: Sage
Join Date: April 21, 2007
Age: 24
Gender: Female
Blog Entries: 10
Default Re: Religion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jwb187 View Post
I like science and I am a Christian. But I do see holes in both that can be filled by the other.
If you apply religion to science, scientists will laugh at you. If you apply science to religion, well, scientists and a lot of other people will also laugh at you.

Ha.
Sage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 20th, 2009, 01:02 AM   #1176
ZzKingz
Member++
 
ZzKingz's Forum Picture
 
Join Date: July 16, 2009
Location: Portland, OR
Age: 22
Gender: Gender Questioning
Blog Entries: 1
Default Re: Religion

the reason im agnostic is because i don't know how and why we came to be and i believe that nobody truly knows.

Im leaning towards atheism.
ZzKingz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 21st, 2009, 04:35 AM   #1177
Death
Awesome Poster
 
Death's Forum Picture
 
Join Date: May 2, 2009
Location: Britain
Age: 23
Gender: Male
Default Re: Religion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deschain View Post
That's because theists have faith and look at things through a religious paradigm and not a scientific one.
Faith, yes, and that's all, faith. Nothing more.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deschain View Post
You're being no more ignorant than they are by stating that the only way to know anything is through science. Simply put, scientific paradigms work in solving scientific issues and religious paradigms work in solving theistic issues.
Maybe, but we still cannot know these things though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jwb187 View Post
Because it makes sense to me, I don't get how something can come fron nothing.
And yet again, somebody disbelieves because they do not understand it; I've seen this too many times before. The universe we know today did not come out of nothing. I'd reccomend reading up on the big bang here (may not be the best site, but you could always find others yourself). Apart from anything else, that's a bit hypocritical because you have not said how God has come into being and don't say that he was always there or doesn't need to because you could say the same about the universe or whatever came before it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jwb187 View Post
I like science and I am a Christian. But I do see holes in both that can be filled by the other. Obviously there will always be questions, and some will go unanswered, but I believe that science and religion can coexist.
That's the last thing that can be done; religion and science don't mix, ever.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jwb187 View Post
Also, my religion makes perfect sense to me.
Some random man who nobody has ever even met ust clicked his fingers and suddenly, poof! The whole universe appeared from nowhere started swirling into place. He then decided that he wanted all the life forms to appear and so he simply told the world what he wanted and it just appeared. Makes perfect sense.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jwb187 View Post
I am probably bot going to be a great source of knowledge to answer a bunch of questions though.
Why don't you ask God? Couldn't he fill you in on what's been happening? Prayer is real, right?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jwb187 View Post
Anyway, I hope answered your question even in the slightest way.
Nice of you to say so, but I'm afraid I've got more.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donkey View Post
Perhaps the entire argument [the death penalty] can be summarised in just a sentence.

We kill people who kill people to show others that killing is wrong.
Death is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 21st, 2009, 04:59 AM   #1178
drumir93
Unregistered
 
Default Re: Religion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jwb187 View Post
Because it makes sense to me, I don't get how something can come fron nothing. I like science and I am a Christian. But I do see holes in both that can be filled by the other. Obviously there will always be questions, and some will go unanswered, but I believe that science and religion can coexist. Also, my religion makes perfect sense to me. I am probably bot going to be a great source of knowledge to answer a bunch of questions though.

Anyway, I hope answered your question even in the slightest way.
The "something-came-from-nothing" thing is a Christian point of view, not an atheist one.
You believe there always has been and always will be a god, therefore you believe he came from nothing.
I, being an atheist, put my faith in science, which evolves and becomes more complete and correct with time. Whereas Christianity is stagnant in its 1st century, unscientific form, where people came up with any convenient explanation for anything they couldn't understand.
Rather than coming up with excuses like that and just saying it popped out of nowhere like you claim, the average atheist point of view is that we plain and simply don't know yet, science has only come so far and we have to wait much longer for a solid explanation for the origins of the universe.
  Reply With Quote
Old November 21st, 2009, 05:15 AM   #1179
Death
Awesome Poster
 
Death's Forum Picture
 
Join Date: May 2, 2009
Location: Britain
Age: 23
Gender: Male
Default Re: Religion

I agree, that's why I don't see how religion can make any more sense than science. And yes, science can admit that there is still research to be done to answer unasnwered questions. The same cannot be said about religion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donkey View Post
Perhaps the entire argument [the death penalty] can be summarised in just a sentence.

We kill people who kill people to show others that killing is wrong.
Death is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 21st, 2009, 01:23 PM   #1180
The Ninja
Member++
 
The Ninja's Forum Picture
 
Join Date: June 17, 2009
Location: under your bed, waiting to attack
Age: 22
Gender: Male
Default Re: Religion

i believe in God i am lutheran and i dont necisarilly critisize another persons religion the only way to get close enough to someone to teach them your religion is to understand theres i mean if i went over to a buddist friends house i wouldnt pray to buddah but i would do my best not to disrespect there religion and/or culture so theres my answer

Quote:
Originally Posted by iangillan View Post
If Abortion is a Murder,then Masturbation is Genocide.
The Ninja is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:00 PM.


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright©2000 - 2018
Search Engine Optimisation provided by DragonByte SEO (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2018 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Copyright 2004 - 2018, VirtualTeen.org