Virtual Teen Forums

Go Back   Virtual Teen Forums > >
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read Chat Room

Old September 22nd, 2018, 10:34 PM   #1
Ben7

Default Wearing a Cup for Soccer

So this doesn't so much apply to right now per se, as I'm now in college and not yet playing soccer again casually or otherwise, but...

Thinking back to several years ago, I remember that when I first wanted to play soccer my now-parents told me that I had to wear a cup if I wanted to play. I still remember what an awkward conversation it was with my dad, with him telling me that I had to wear one, it was important to wear one to protect that area, etc. I remember protesting that people didn't wear cups for soccer, that nothing ever happened, and there was nothing to worry about, etc. But my parents wouldn't hear of it.

And in the end I just conceded to their requirement and had felt really embarrassed afterwards, especially when we went to buy a cup before I started playing. I remember how weird it felt, especially at first and I was often (at first) self conscious that perhaps someone would notice but maybe nobody ever did, I'm not quite sure. Either way though, much as I expected, I never got hit down there.

So this was all late middle school through much of high school. Now I'm in college and may start playing casual pick-up or intramural soccer and though I do still have a cup, not sure that I should or will wear one this time around. I was just thinking about this and about past years when I did have to wear one though, so I thought I'd write this post, curious whether any of you had similar situations:

What do you guys think:
- do guys generally wear a cup when playing soccer, is it generally the norm? or is it more of what I thought that it's not a sport where it's needed that much?

- do any of you who used to or currently play soccer wear one or have to wear one (i.e. maybe your parents also make you like mine did since I started a several years ago)?

- is it reasonable/fair for one's parents to force their son to wear a cup for soccer? (though I suppose one could argue anything a parent forces you to do is reasonable enough)
Ben7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 22nd, 2018, 11:01 PM   #2
kro814
Nice Poster

Name: Kevin
Default Re: Wearing a Cup for Soccer

It is a good idea to wear a cup when playing soccer. Kind of like when you play baseball and other sports that require protection. There is nothing weird about it.
kro814 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 26th, 2018, 04:34 PM   #3
Daniel4
Nice Poster

Name: dan

I usually just wear a jock for support or sometimes compression shorts. most of us like to wear just a jock for mobility. Cup you wear only if your playing goalie
Daniel4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 26th, 2018, 09:54 PM   #4
Matt 04

Name: Matt

One ball kicked in my groin convinced me to wear a cup. Someone also kicked me there when I was wearing a cup. My parents would have never talked about it and no coach forced us but suggested it.
Matt 04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 27th, 2018, 05:24 AM   #5
Coy942

I have never worn a cup playing soccer, and its never been a problem for me. I understand the need for protection in some sports, but I don't feel as if there's a lot of risk playing soccer.

No harm in wearing one though.
Coy942 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 28th, 2018, 04:13 AM   #6
Pultost
Awesome Poster

Pultost's Forum Picture

Name: Anita

I think it's only common sense to wear a cup during those sports.

Sushi is for people who can't afford a stove.
Pultost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 28th, 2018, 10:24 AM   #7
AshleighB
Nice Poster

AshleighB's Forum Picture

Name: Ashleigh

My boyfriend plays and he doesn’t ware one, although he did get hit there last week looked quite painful, him pouring ice cold water down his shorts seamed to take the pain away

So this is how it feels to be lonely
This is how it feels to be small
This is how it feels when your word means nothing at all
AshleighB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 28th, 2018, 10:51 PM   #8
Ben7

Alright, thanks to all of you for your comments.
Ben7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 29th, 2018, 11:20 AM   #9
Daniel4
Nice Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben7 View Post
Alright, thanks to all of you for your comments.
Wearing just a jock is gonna be a whole lot more comfortable and recommend them. Either the gym or dukes. Wearing a cup would not be fun running and stuff.
Old October 5th, 2018, 08:58 PM   #10
mikeb03

Name: Mike

I haven't really played soccer... but it might not be a bad idea to wear one. I guess you could get hit there in soccer. I wore a cup when I used to play baseball but that's really it.

I wear a regular jock for PE, xc, track, running kind of stuff. I guess a jock would kind of protect you for something like soccer, cause it like keeps your balls pulled in tighter, maybe less likely to get hit? Might be worth a try if the cup is too bulky.
mikeb03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 6th, 2018, 04:11 AM   #11
Matthew04
Member++

I have never worn one when playing think it would get in the way while trying to run
Matthew04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 7th, 2018, 08:17 AM   #12
breaux
Member++

breaux's Forum Picture

Played football (or soccer w/e) when I was like 5-13, never saw any of my teammates wear a cup.. it's not used here in Europe as far as I know at least.. taking the ball to your private area happens sometimes, I guess.. nothing that'd make anyone protect them though
breaux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 11th, 2018, 06:18 PM   #13
MasonBA
Nice Poster

Name: Mason

Most of the boys on my team wear a cup, and dad is making me wear one too. Not real comfortable but once it's in and I start to play or practice I don't even think about it.
MasonBA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 11th, 2018, 06:32 PM   #14
mikeb03

Name: Mike

When I used to wear one for baseball - seemed like the trick was to make sure it's not like sliding around and rubbing. So make sure your jock or whatever you wear it in is tight.
mikeb03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 14th, 2018, 11:23 AM   #15
Daniel4
Nice Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasonBA View Post
Most of the boys on my team wear a cup, and dad is making me wear one too. Not real comfortable but once it's in and I start to play or practice I don't even think about it.
I use to wear one with the cup but find wearing just the jock gives me the best support and mobility. Definitely gives me a adrenaline boost to my game wearing. Really only need to wear the cup for playing goalie .
Old October 29th, 2018, 10:53 AM   #16
Adamant

Adamant's Forum Picture

Name: Adam

Don't wear one. Not nice when you get a knock there but it doesn't happen often.
Adamant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 15th, 2018, 09:16 PM   #17
Daniel4
Nice Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben7 View Post
So this doesn't so much apply to right now per se, as I'm now in college and not yet playing soccer again casually or otherwise, but...

Thinking back to several years ago, I remember that when I first wanted to play soccer my now-parents told me that I had to wear a cup if I wanted to play. I still remember what an awkward conversation it was with my dad, with him telling me that I had to wear one, it was important to wear one to protect that area, etc. I remember protesting that people didn't wear cups for soccer, that nothing ever happened, and there was nothing to worry about, etc. But my parents wouldn't hear of it.

And in the end I just conceded to their requirement and had felt really embarrassed afterwards, especially when we went to buy a cup before I started playing. I remember how weird it felt, especially at first and I was often (at first) self conscious that perhaps someone would notice but maybe nobody ever did, I'm not quite sure. Either way though, much as I expected, I never got hit down there.

So this was all late middle school through much of high school. Now I'm in college and may start playing casual pick-up or intramural soccer and though I do still have a cup, not sure that I should or will wear one this time around. I was just thinking about this and about past years when I did have to wear one though, so I thought I'd write this post, curious whether any of you had similar situations:

What do you guys think:
- do guys generally wear a cup when playing soccer, is it generally the norm? or is it more of what I thought that it's not a sport where it's needed that much?

- do any of you who used to or currently play soccer wear one or have to wear one (i.e. maybe your parents also make you like mine did since I started a several years ago)?

- is it reasonable/fair for one's parents to force their son to wear a cup for soccer? (though I suppose one could argue anything a parent forces you to do is reasonable enough)
Yea, you definitely don't need a cup. Just a jockstrap is what I recommend or wear one under some looser compression shorts. Is very comfortable .
Old Yesterday, 08:14 PM   #18
Connordude

Connordude's Forum Picture

Name: Connor

People who play soccer need one?
Connordude is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 08:27 PM   #19
Daniel4
Nice Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Connordude View Post
People who play soccer need one?
Goalie for sure with a cup, otherwise just a jock works great ! Can wear compression shorts too but I find there too tight around my legs running and stuff.