Virtual Teen Forums
 

Go Back   Virtual Teen Forums > >
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read Chat Room

View Poll Results: What is your religion?
Agnosticism 142 13.64%
Atheism 312 29.97%
Buddhism 12 1.15%
Christianity (Please Specify) 415 39.87%
Hinduism 9 0.86%
Islam 33 3.17%
Judaism 17 1.63%
Wicca 17 1.63%
Other (Please Specify) 84 8.07%
Voters: 1041. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old April 5th, 2010, 02:15 PM   #1361
Death
Awesome Poster
 
Death's Forum Picture
 
Join Date: May 2, 2009
Location: Britain
Age: 23
Gender: Male
Default Re: Religion

And I bet you that said Christians feel strangely better about it when they are doing so in a church (even though they needn't).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donkey View Post
Perhaps the entire argument [the death penalty] can be summarised in just a sentence.

We kill people who kill people to show others that killing is wrong.
Death is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 5th, 2010, 11:04 PM   #1362
INFERNO
Awesome Poster
 
INFERNO's Forum Picture
 
Join Date: December 27, 2008
Location: Canada
Gender: Male
Default Re: Religion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Death View Post
And I bet you that said Christians feel strangely better about it when they are doing so in a church (even though they needn't).
Maybe they do maybe they don't feel better while praying in a church. Honestly, some do and some don't, I don't know what you expect me to say because how people worship varies so much even within the same belief and denomination.

"That is my ambition, to have killed more people, more helpless people, than any man or woman who has ever lived." - Jane Toppan

"There's a pot of gold at the end of the rainbow, it's just a son of a bitch getting there" - Sully Erna of Godsmack
INFERNO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 11th, 2010, 05:51 PM   #1363
HellHound
Member++
 
HellHound's Forum Picture
 
Name: Bogdan
Join Date: February 25, 2010
Location: Romania,Bucharest
Age: 23
Gender: Male
Default Re: Religion

Religion is the thing that kees the world together.Without it there would be chaos.Im not religios but i think straight

If you ever think i`m lying i am sorry for just expressing my opinion
HellHound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 11th, 2010, 07:03 PM   #1364
Sage
Banned
 
Name: Sage
Join Date: April 21, 2007
Age: 25
Gender: Female
Blog Entries: 10
Default Re: Religion

Quote:
Originally Posted by bogdan View Post
Religion is the thing that kees the world together.
I'm not even going to get started on how mind-blowingly stupid you are.
Sage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 11th, 2010, 07:05 PM   #1365
scuba steve
Lone Wonderer
 
scuba steve's Forum Picture
 
Name: Calum (steve's just a fall guy)
Join Date: June 2, 2009
Location: UK
Age: 25
Gender: Male
Default Re: Religion

to Deschain: "ha."

i believe completely in science.

Now to find a midget with some Gin and we'll be in business...

When i say pop you say quiz... POP... QUIZ. POP...QUIZ........ yaaaaaay

Quote:
Originally Posted by troubledteen22 View Post
I've tried to have sex but vagina feels nothing like fans
scuba steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 11th, 2010, 07:43 PM   #1366
anime Freak
Member+
 
Join Date: January 7, 2009
Location: Winchendon
Gender: Male
Default Re: Religion

But ther are so many things tha science cannot explain! and religion can explain those things
anime Freak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 11th, 2010, 07:46 PM   #1367
Perseus
Legendary Member
 
Perseus's Forum Picture
 
Name: Jake
Join Date: November 15, 2008
Location: Terra incognita
Age: 24
Gender: Male
Blog Entries: 1
Default Re: Religion

Quote:
Originally Posted by anime Freak View Post
But ther are so many things tha science cannot explain! and religion can explain those things
Religion doesn't have proof. Science works off of proof.
Perseus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 11th, 2010, 08:26 PM   #1368
Disco Jones
Member
 
Disco Jones's Forum Picture
 
Join Date: March 13, 2010
Gender: Undisclosed
Default Re: Religion

Everything can be explained.

The trouble is finding evidence for your explanation.
Disco Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 12th, 2010, 12:59 AM   #1369
Amnesiac
Lost Child
 
Amnesiac's Forum Picture
 
Name: Justin
Join Date: April 12, 2010
Age: 23
Gender: Male
Default Re: Religion

Interesting, there are a lot of atheists/agnostics on here...
Amnesiac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 12th, 2010, 01:05 AM   #1370
Sage
Banned
 
Name: Sage
Join Date: April 21, 2007
Age: 25
Gender: Female
Blog Entries: 10
Default Re: Religion

Quote:
Originally Posted by anime Freak View Post
But ther are so many things tha science cannot explain! and religion can explain those things
Having an answer differs greatly from having the answer.
Sage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 12th, 2010, 10:26 AM   #1371
Death
Awesome Poster
 
Death's Forum Picture
 
Join Date: May 2, 2009
Location: Britain
Age: 23
Gender: Male
Default Re: Religion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deschain View Post
Having an answer differs greatly from having the answer.
QFT. anime Freak, I can't even begin to fathom how one can seriously believe what you've just said. Another thing that you might want to think about is that scientists know that they can't explain everything right now, but they do know a damn good deal. Religion on the other hand, claims to know everything, even though it is based on archaic ideas, that were grasped out of thin air, which is outdated by up to 5000 (going back to the old testament - correct me if I'm inaccurate) years.

The more that you know, the more that you know that you don't know.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donkey View Post
Perhaps the entire argument [the death penalty] can be summarised in just a sentence.

We kill people who kill people to show others that killing is wrong.
Death is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 12th, 2010, 12:18 PM   #1372
Kohta
Banned
 
Name: Dylan
Join Date: April 11, 2010
Location: East Coast
Age: 26
Gender: Male
Default Re: Religion

Quote:
Originally Posted by anime Freak View Post
But ther are so many things tha science cannot explain! and religion can explain those things
Yes, you are right about that but you have to look at our Human history and that the Greeks had Zeus Posiden and other gods to explain weather and ocean currents, yet nowadays we no longer use Greek Mythology because science has helped us understand why we have weather and why the ocean acts the way it does. So maybe in the future science will explain these other unexplainable events. BTW using religion to answer questions is the same as making up any type of fairy tale and using that as an explaination
Kohta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 12th, 2010, 12:18 PM   #1373
Kohta
Banned
 
Name: Dylan
Join Date: April 11, 2010
Location: East Coast
Age: 26
Gender: Male
Default Re: Religion

oh yea and Atheism is not a religion!
Kohta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 12th, 2010, 12:40 PM   #1374
Magus
Mercurai's Priestess
 
Magus's Forum Picture
 
Name: Fae, The Witch
Join Date: February 22, 2010
Location: The Guild Of Archmages
Age: 26
Gender: Transgender MtF*
Blog Entries: 13
Default Re: Religion

Science is a religion, but unlike other religions, this one seeks after the absolute truth.
The lab is like a temple to a scientist.

If you say 95%(or something) scientist are atheist and skeptics, that's a false statement.

They believe in something, and that's nature(not naturalism) and its phenomena and whatever of secrets it hides(which by it self a phenomenon).

They are bound to their labs, bound to their research. What ever they are writing with their works using pen and paper, they are writing nothing but holy scriptures to be given to the present-day and near future aspired researchers, scientists, engineers and doctors.

I won't elucidate any more, it is more than clear in what I am trying to convey.
Magus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 15th, 2010, 10:07 PM   #1375
Apparitions
Nice Poster
 
Apparitions's Forum Picture
 
Name: Dan
Join Date: February 25, 2009
Location: South London, England
Age: 23
Gender: Male
Default Re: Religion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreamer - X View Post
Science is a religion, but unlike other religions, this one seeks after the absolute truth.
The lab is like a temple to a scientist.

If you say 95%(or something) scientist are atheist and skeptics, that's a false statement.

They believe in something, and that's nature(not naturalism) and its phenomena and whatever of secrets it hides(which by it self a phenomenon).

They are bound to their labs, bound to their research. What ever they are writing with their works using pen and paper, they are writing nothing but holy scriptures to be given to the present-day and near future aspired researchers, scientists, engineers and doctors.

I won't elucidate any more, it is more than clear in what I am trying to convey.
Good point. I think if I had to choose a religion then it would be either Buddhism (it's nice and peaceful unlike some religions *cough* Christianity and Islam) or simply Science. But I don't have to and I have been an Athiest since I was 13ish. I used to be a Catholic but I started to question stuff.

EDIT: Bump.

Apparitions is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 16th, 2010, 09:06 AM   #1376
Death
Awesome Poster
 
Death's Forum Picture
 
Join Date: May 2, 2009
Location: Britain
Age: 23
Gender: Male
Default Re: Religion

Er, how is science a religion? If science is a religion, couldn't you also call history, maths, english (other academic topics or subjects) and so on religions?

I would have thought that a religion is a belief in (a) deity(s), which science clearly isn't.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donkey View Post
Perhaps the entire argument [the death penalty] can be summarised in just a sentence.

We kill people who kill people to show others that killing is wrong.
Death is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 16th, 2010, 10:53 AM   #1377
Magus
Mercurai's Priestess
 
Magus's Forum Picture
 
Name: Fae, The Witch
Join Date: February 22, 2010
Location: The Guild Of Archmages
Age: 26
Gender: Transgender MtF*
Blog Entries: 13
Default Re: Religion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Death View Post
Er, how is science a religion? If science is a religion, couldn't you also call history, maths, english (other academic topics or subjects) and so on religions?

I would have thought that a religion is a belief in (a) deity(s), which science clearly isn't.
Buddhism is a religion; Taoism is a religion, but neither have a deity. But the perfect nomenclature is Philosophy.

In Science, what we perceive is what we believe. Nature is the creator here, what is nature is beyond us. Same-wise, what is God is beyond us; except, science is more plausible than any other believe.

Take Alchemy for instance. It was thought that some metals can be turned into what? Exactly, this scientific belief is debunked later, since we can't get a metal(element) into another whole metal(element) with different no. of proton, neutron, atomic number, mass number, size, density and many other properties.
===

No, I am not diverting or deluding you. Science and its branches contains facts. And what are facts?

“What has religion to do with facts? Nothing”

“Facts are to the mind what food is to the body”

“The facts fairly and honestly presented; truth will take care of itself.”

“A fact is a simple statement that everyone believes. It is innocent, unless found guilty. A hypothesis is a novel suggestion that no one wants to believe. It is guilty, until found effective.”

==

But all in all - Science is not a religion.

Here is a quote from THE HUMANEST by Richard Dawkins in "Is science a religion?"

Quote:
Well, science is not religion and it doesn't just come down to faith. Although it has many of religion's virtues, it has none of its vices. Science is based upon verifiable evidence.
Again, as I told you, it is totally different from all other Religions, be it theistic and atheistic. Because all other Religions is based on faith which up-holds no evidence.

Even though, Science is still and of course followed by others who do adhere their organized religions, I have seen some and in particular and shockingly Muslims. I barely heard of a Christian scientist(if you know any, please name some)The last search on "Christian Science" I got a Banana?!

Anything else you see out of the spot and sanely illogical, then feel free to scrutinize and continue this discussion.
Magus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 16th, 2010, 11:55 AM   #1378
lagiacrus
Banned
 
Name: Matthew
Join Date: April 6, 2010
Location: Australia
Age: 22
Gender: Male
Blog Entries: 2
Default Re: Religion

No, religion. Never! The largest amount of death was caused by religion. Terrorism has been caused by religion. Sad. Aetheism until I die.
lagiacrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 16th, 2010, 12:39 PM   #1379
The Nerd Victorious
New Member
 
The Nerd Victorious's Forum Picture
 
Join Date: April 16, 2010
Location: Britain
Age: 21
Gender: Female
Default Re: Religion

Religion should be banned. It's holding back the advancement of humanity.
The Nerd Victorious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 16th, 2010, 02:50 PM   #1380
Death
Awesome Poster
 
Death's Forum Picture
 
Join Date: May 2, 2009
Location: Britain
Age: 23
Gender: Male
Default Re: Religion

I would have thought that after all the scientific knowledge we have gathered, people would have moved on from archaic beliefs, but I obviously overestimated the human population's ability to change from the traditions of over 5000 years ago.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donkey View Post
Perhaps the entire argument [the death penalty] can be summarised in just a sentence.

We kill people who kill people to show others that killing is wrong.
Death is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:41 AM.


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright©2000 - 2018
Search Engine Optimisation provided by DragonByte SEO (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2018 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Copyright 2004 - 2018, VirtualTeen.org