Virtual Teen Forums
 

Go Back   Virtual Teen Forums > >
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read Chat Room

View Poll Results: What is your religion?
Agnosticism 142 13.64%
Atheism 312 29.97%
Buddhism 12 1.15%
Christianity (Please Specify) 415 39.87%
Hinduism 9 0.86%
Islam 33 3.17%
Judaism 17 1.63%
Wicca 17 1.63%
Other (Please Specify) 84 8.07%
Voters: 1041. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old May 27th, 2009, 12:33 AM   #921
Prince_of_Peace
Member++
 
Prince_of_Peace's Forum Picture
 
Join Date: October 26, 2008
Location: los angeles
Gender: Male
Default Re: Religion

Based on estimated/approximate statistics which I've found at

http://www.adherents.com/Religions_By_Adherents.html

Christianity: 2.1 billion (33% of world's population)

Islam: 1.5 billion (21% of world's population)

Secular/Nonreligious/Agnostic/Atheist: 1.1 billion (16% of world's population)

Hinduism: 900 million (14% of world's population)

Chinese traditional religion: 394 million (6% of world's population)

Buddhism: 376 million (6% of world's population)

primal-indigenous: 300 million

African Traditional & Diasporic: 100 million (6% of world's population)

Sikhism: 23 million

Juche: 19 million

Spiritism: 15 million

Judaism: 14 million (0.22% of world's population)

Baha'i: 7 million

Jainism: 4.2 million

Shinto: 4 million

Cao Dai: 4 million

Zoroastrianism: 2.6 million

Tenrikyo: 2 million

Neo-Paganism: 1 million

Unitarian-Universalism: 800 thousand

Rastafarianism: 600 thousand

Scientology: 500 thousand

I hope this help.
Prince_of_Peace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27th, 2009, 10:18 AM   #922
Perseus
Legendary Member
 
Perseus's Forum Picture
 
Name: Jake
Join Date: November 15, 2008
Location: Terra incognita
Age: 24
Gender: Male
Blog Entries: 1
Default Re: Religion

What does your copypasta help?
Just because Christianity is the most popular religion proves nothing.
Perseus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27th, 2009, 03:33 PM   #923
Camazotz
Seor Waddles
 
Camazotz's Forum Picture
 
Name: Matt
Join Date: July 3, 2007
Location: NJ
Gender: Male
Default Re: Religion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prince_of_Peace View Post
Based on estimated/approximate statistics which I've found at

http://www.adherents.com/Religions_By_Adherents.html

Christianity: 2.1 billion (33% of world's population)

Islam: 1.5 billion (21% of world's population)

Secular/Nonreligious/Agnostic/Atheist: 1.1 billion (16% of world's population)

Hinduism: 900 million (14% of world's population)

Chinese traditional religion: 394 million (6% of world's population)

Buddhism: 376 million (6% of world's population)

primal-indigenous: 300 million

African Traditional & Diasporic: 100 million (6% of world's population)

Sikhism: 23 million

Juche: 19 million

Spiritism: 15 million

Judaism: 14 million (0.22% of world's population)

Baha'i: 7 million

Jainism: 4.2 million

Shinto: 4 million

Cao Dai: 4 million

Zoroastrianism: 2.6 million

Tenrikyo: 2 million

Neo-Paganism: 1 million

Unitarian-Universalism: 800 thousand

Rastafarianism: 600 thousand

Scientology: 500 thousand

I hope this help.
Helped with what exactly? Copy and pasting information without a point proves nothing. I found this statement while cross-referencing your information (yes, your information is actually correct). It actually makes sense.

"The entire human race (100%) are atheist at birth.The default position. Everything after that is either tradition, taught or indoctrinated.

I'm adding brainwashed to that list."

http://wiki.answers.com/Q/What_perce...e_are_atheists
Camazotz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27th, 2009, 03:46 PM   #924
Death
Awesome Poster
 
Death's Forum Picture
 
Join Date: May 2, 2009
Location: Britain
Age: 23
Gender: Male
Default Re: Religion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camazotz View Post
"The entire human race (100%) are atheist at birth.The default position. Everything after that is either tradition, taught or indoctrinated.
QFT - I agree fully. If God existed, wouldn't people know from birth? Brainwashing is just the word I would use to describe it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donkey View Post
Perhaps the entire argument [the death penalty] can be summarised in just a sentence.

We kill people who kill people to show others that killing is wrong.
Death is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28th, 2009, 03:16 AM   #925
The Batman
Banned
 
Name: Thomdam
Join Date: November 13, 2007
Location: Missouri
Age: 28
Gender: Male
Blog Entries: 19
Default Re: Religion

I would say the entire human race is ignorant at the beginning how can you not believe in something if you know nothing about it? Religion is something that we are taught whether it's to believe in god or not.
The Batman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28th, 2009, 03:27 AM   #926
Death
Awesome Poster
 
Death's Forum Picture
 
Join Date: May 2, 2009
Location: Britain
Age: 23
Gender: Male
Default Re: Religion

But why should you have to be taught that God exists? The very fact that you have to be taught it suggests that you are being told opinions which arn't facts. If God existed, he would speak to you at birth so you would believe in him then. Whenever I used to pray, I was ignored. I asked God a while ago to speak to me and again asking him to turn my red wall to blue just for 10 seconds to prove that he exists and nothing happened so God clearly doesn't exist.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donkey View Post
Perhaps the entire argument [the death penalty] can be summarised in just a sentence.

We kill people who kill people to show others that killing is wrong.
Death is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28th, 2009, 03:32 AM   #927
The Batman
Banned
 
Name: Thomdam
Join Date: November 13, 2007
Location: Missouri
Age: 28
Gender: Male
Blog Entries: 19
Default Re: Religion

If you need to have solid proof god exists why should he show himself? If faith alone can't keep you attached to him than he won't give you any proof.
The Batman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28th, 2009, 06:27 AM   #928
ThatCanadianGuy
Awesome Poster
 
ThatCanadianGuy's Forum Picture
 
Name: James
Join Date: March 11, 2007
Location: Canada
Age: 26
Gender: Male
Blog Entries: 28
Default Re: Religion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Euphoria View Post
If you need to have solid proof god exists why should he show himself? If faith alone can't keep you attached to him than he won't give you any proof.
Faith is believing in something for which there is no facts or evidence to support it. It is extremely stupid to believe in ANYTHING based on faith. But apparently your god wants everyone to believe in him without needing any proof that he's real... even though he loved to do things in the bible (i.e. pillars of FIRE) to show off and prove he's real to barbaric desert tribes.
ThatCanadianGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28th, 2009, 08:54 AM   #929
Truth
Banned
 
Join Date: February 19, 2009
Age: 22
Gender: Male
Default Re: Religion

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatCanadianGuy View Post
Faith is believing in something for which there is no facts or evidence to support it. It is extremely stupid to believe in ANYTHING based on faith. But apparently your god wants everyone to believe in him without needing any proof that he's real... even though he loved to do things in the bible (i.e. pillars of FIRE) to show off and prove he's real to barbaric desert tribes.
Many things other then religion are based on faith, so what you just said isnt correct.
Truth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28th, 2009, 10:43 AM   #930
Death
Awesome Poster
 
Death's Forum Picture
 
Join Date: May 2, 2009
Location: Britain
Age: 23
Gender: Male
Default Re: Religion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Truth View Post
Many things other then religion are based on faith, so what you just said isnt correct.
If you think about it, what he said was correct. You can't say something exists simply because you believe it does. Lets say that there is a fairy that flies around the moon every 3 months and if you look up at the right time soon after midnight on the correct day,, you will see her flying throught the sky leaving behind a green trail of sparks. Are you saying that having faith in that makes that true? It can't do since it's nonsense. The same applies with God. If he refuses to even speak to you, he can't exist.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donkey View Post
Perhaps the entire argument [the death penalty] can be summarised in just a sentence.

We kill people who kill people to show others that killing is wrong.
Death is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28th, 2009, 12:23 PM   #931
The Batman
Banned
 
Name: Thomdam
Join Date: November 13, 2007
Location: Missouri
Age: 28
Gender: Male
Blog Entries: 19
Default Re: Religion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Death View Post
If you think about it, what he said was correct. You can't say something exists simply because you believe it does.
I want to quote that part right there. Think about it you say we can't say something is real because we believe in it, but what about gravity?

Can you see it?

No

Can you touch it with your hands?

No.

Can you use any of your other senses to have reasoning that gravity exists?

Nope.

So how do you know it's real?

Because you feel it right?

Well that's exactly how people think about god. They feel him inside themselves that's how they know he's real.
The Batman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28th, 2009, 04:36 PM   #932
Death
Awesome Poster
 
Death's Forum Picture
 
Join Date: May 2, 2009
Location: Britain
Age: 23
Gender: Male
Default Re: Religion

What you feel inside isn't God; it's your brain's emotions. I've heard people saying that the feeling of goodness when you've done something selfless is heaven applauding you. This is absolute nonsense; it's your mature brain telling you that what you've done (or something like that) was a moral act. It has nothing to do with God. Also, the Bible contradicts itself and has hurtful and clearly untrue coments in it (there are bits of it which insult athiesm, cohabitation, homosexuality, etcetera) a lot so I wouldn't trust it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donkey View Post
Perhaps the entire argument [the death penalty] can be summarised in just a sentence.

We kill people who kill people to show others that killing is wrong.
Death is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28th, 2009, 04:54 PM   #933
Requin
Horse Cock
 
Join Date: February 29, 2008
Age: 25
Gender: Male
Default Re: Religion

Honestly? Who cares?

If someone wants to beleive in something else from else, then let them. Who are we to tell each other what to believe and think?
Why do people have such problems with that? I'm not religious, does that mean I'm cruel? Does it mean I'm not kind? And on a path of sin to burning eternity in hell?

I say learn to live with each other. What's the point in argueing what we should all think when we are never going to agree?

The Man with No Name
Requin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28th, 2009, 05:04 PM   #934
Death
Awesome Poster
 
Death's Forum Picture
 
Join Date: May 2, 2009
Location: Britain
Age: 23
Gender: Male
Default Re: Religion

Because this is a debate. We are supposed to explain what we think and give evidence to support our ideas or beliefs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donkey View Post
Perhaps the entire argument [the death penalty] can be summarised in just a sentence.

We kill people who kill people to show others that killing is wrong.
Death is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28th, 2009, 05:10 PM   #935
Sage
Banned
 
Name: Sage
Join Date: April 21, 2007
Age: 25
Gender: Female
Blog Entries: 10
Default Re: Religion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Euphoria View Post
I want to quote that part right there. Think about it you say we can't say something is real because we believe in it, but what about gravity?

Can you see it?

No

Can you touch it with your hands?

No.

Can you use any of your other senses to have reasoning that gravity exists?

Nope.

So how do you know it's real?

Because you feel it right?

Well that's exactly how people think about god. They feel him inside themselves that's how they know he's real.
You can know Gravity exists by doing a simple experiment. Pick something up, and let go. If it falls, boom, that's Gravity. You don't need to do it privately, either, oh no- You can drop things in front of people and they too can see Gravity at work.

Sad to say, there isn't such a simple experiment you can do to prove the presence of a God.
Sage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28th, 2009, 05:48 PM   #936
Death
Awesome Poster
 
Death's Forum Picture
 
Join Date: May 2, 2009
Location: Britain
Age: 23
Gender: Male
Default Re: Religion

This is true. There's no connection between gravity and God so I'm afraid that's even more invalid evidence for God's existance. We can't just have faith in stuff, we need to know that they exist. Not to do so is illogical. Why thank or blame everything on some God which can be explained using common sense or science? There are several "miracles" that can be explained this way. And no, I'm not talking about bible content here; that was a fiction book written thousands of years ago. I don't think any evidence from that is valid now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donkey View Post
Perhaps the entire argument [the death penalty] can be summarised in just a sentence.

We kill people who kill people to show others that killing is wrong.
Death is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28th, 2009, 06:00 PM   #937
The Batman
Banned
 
Name: Thomdam
Join Date: November 13, 2007
Location: Missouri
Age: 28
Gender: Male
Blog Entries: 19
Default Re: Religion

In a RELIGION thread the using a religious doctrine is valid evidence rather you want to believe it or not.
The Batman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28th, 2009, 06:04 PM   #938
Oblivion
Retired Mod
 
Join Date: March 31, 2008
Gender: Male
Default Re: Religion

Religion is based on faith, I don't think any religious person would argue that.
Faith is believing something without solid proof or observation. Which makes it impossible to prove wrong, or right.
Oblivion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28th, 2009, 06:34 PM   #939
Sage
Banned
 
Name: Sage
Join Date: April 21, 2007
Age: 25
Gender: Female
Blog Entries: 10
Default Re: Religion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Euphoria View Post
In a RELIGION thread the using a religious doctrine is valid evidence rather you want to believe it or not.
Evidence of what, exactly?
Sage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28th, 2009, 07:25 PM   #940
The Batman
Banned
 
Name: Thomdam
Join Date: November 13, 2007
Location: Missouri
Age: 28
Gender: Male
Blog Entries: 19
Default Re: Religion

Evidence of that religion and their beliefs. The bible is more than a religious book anyway it has some historical things in it and also is a good book of morals.
The Batman is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:58 AM.


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright©2000 - 2018
Search Engine Optimisation provided by DragonByte SEO (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2018 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Copyright 2004 - 2018, VirtualTeen.org