Go Back   Virtual Teen Forums > >
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read Chat Room

Old January 29th, 2019, 09:32 PM   #1
hayley2003
Nice Poster

hayley2003's Forum Picture

Name: Hayley
Default Why do people hoard?

Anybody know much about about hoarding and what caused it?

About 1 week ago a guy who lives nearby died and when the police found him his house was so full of trash they had to take his body out through his bedroom window. We got to look inside through the windows and he had trash all the way to the ceiling. He lived their for over 30 years and inside were stacks and stacks of news papers that were dated in the 1980s.

We kinda knew him a little. He seemed mostly normal. Nothing seemed wrong with him. Everybody was surprised when found out he was a hoarder with tons and tons of trash in his house.
hayley2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 29th, 2019, 10:04 PM   #2
ska8er
VT Lover

ska8er's Forum Picture

Name: Andy
Default Re: Why do people hoard?

Depression plays a good part
in it or a compulsion disorder.
ska8er is online now   Reply With Quote
Old January 29th, 2019, 11:53 PM   #3
SethfromMI
Legendary Member

SethfromMI's Forum Picture

Name: Seth

Well it can be contributed to a number of different reasons. It could be OCD or Depression. A lot of times it is attached to an anxiety disorder. Even if the person recognizes it is indeed trash, they feel incredibly anxious at the thought of throwing it away, even when they sometimes know it is not good for them. Many times it is a combination of reasons.

It really depends. I guess, depending what it was, it could be a quirk. I know sometimes people who grew up in the Depression (a lot of of our Grandparents) will sometimes have a hard time throwing stuff away because they were taught to keep anything that could be used again. But that is usually not most hoarding cases.

20 | M | BI

Always Up For A Chat!

~ Seth
SethfromMI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 30th, 2019, 08:24 AM   #4
karacoustic
Great Poster

karacoustic's Forum Picture

Name: Kara

Yeah i have often wondered too. Like i wonder if they even consider it trash? That phrase "one man's trash is another man's treasure" comes to mind.
karacoustic is online now   Reply With Quote
Old January 30th, 2019, 10:45 PM   #5
BlackParadePixie
hello beautiful

BlackParadePixie's Forum Picture

Name: Fiona

I'm pretty sure hoarding is usually associated with obsessive compulsive disorder.

18 *** f *** Wes Anderson fan *** proud Italian-American *** UCLA student

But for now we are young
Let us lay in the sun
and count every beautiful thing we can see

BlackParadePixie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 31st, 2019, 01:33 AM   #6
yeehaw
cowboy superstar

yeehaw's Forum Picture

Name: shanie

hoarding disorder often falls into the umbrella OCD.

someone with OCD will suffer from extreme and irrational obsessions which cause them great anxiety and distress. in hoarding disorder it could be throwing away something valuable by accident, etc. and in extreme cases they may feel that they will die if they accidentally throw away something valuable. the only way they feel that they can alleviate this anxiety and distress is to complete ritualistic compulsions, often multiple times a day. in hoarding disorder this is characterised by, well, hoarding.

Quote:
Yeah i have often wondered too. Like i wonder if they even consider it trash? That phrase "one man's trash is another man's treasure" comes to mind.
to answer your question, yes, they often do know that their fears and actions are irrational but they think that there is no other way at all that can help them relieve the fear in their minds. another example of OCD is someone compulsively cleaning - they are frightened of being infected by germs and dying from an infectious disease. to combat this consistent anxiety they have to clean everything around them and they often can’t leave their house or interact with other people because of it. yeah, it’s not going to be a nice life to live in.
yeehaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 31st, 2019, 09:03 PM   #7
ska8er
VT Lover

ska8er's Forum Picture

Name: Andy

Quote:
Originally Posted by SethfromMI View Post
Well it can be contributed to a number of different reasons. It could be OCD or Depression. A lot of times it is attached to an anxiety disorder. Even if the person recognizes it is indeed trash, they feel incredibly anxious at the thought of throwing it away, even when they sometimes know it is not good for them. Many times it is a combination of reasons.

It really depends. I guess, depending what it was, it could be a quirk. I know sometimes people who grew up in the Depression (a lot of of our Grandparents) will sometimes have a hard time throwing stuff away because they were taught to keep anything that could be used again. But that is usually not most hoarding cases.
Seth I agree with what u say. My Grandparents grew
up in a poor city in a country in Eastern Europe and
once they came here they saved everything cause they
knew they didn't have these things growing up.
ska8er is online now   Reply With Quote
Old January 31st, 2019, 09:23 PM   #8
Bluegrass
Member+

Name: Mary

My grandma lives in home like that with thousands of old magazines and newspapers.Every bit of it is very important to her and wants nobody to touch it ever.
Bluegrass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 31st, 2019, 09:54 PM   #9
KatieCO2003
Nice Poster

KatieCO2003's Forum Picture

Name: Katie

Definitely a form of OCD and anxiety. Imagine that your Grandmother gave you her Great-Grandmother's wedding ring. And one day, you accidently threw it away and could never get it back. Imagine how freaked out you'd be. For hoarders, everything feels like their Great Grandmother's wedding ring and freaks them out just as much to throw it away.
KatieCO2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 1st, 2019, 10:15 PM   #10
Emilyfox
Member++

Emilyfox's Forum Picture

Name: Emily

Quote:
Originally Posted by KatieCO2003 View Post
Definitely a form of OCD and anxiety. Imagine that your Grandmother gave you her Great-Grandmother's wedding ring. And one day, you accidently threw it away and could never get it back. Imagine how freaked out you'd be. For hoarders, everything feels like their Great Grandmother's wedding ring and freaks them out just as much to throw it away.
That is like, the best explanation for this Ive ever heard
Im pretty minimal so hoarding isnt my thing but stuff like my grandpas fly fishing gear is like sacred to me, everyone says just use it, hes want it to be used - but I dont want to risk losing or breaking any of it!
I just keep one of his flys in my box for good luck

But yeah if someone felt the same way about all kinds of stuff then yeah I get why theyd be compelled to hoard it
Emilyfox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 7th, 2019, 10:10 PM   #11
Uniquemind
VT Lover

Most of what everyone has said here has been accurate.

The current view is that OCD and Hoarding are related and individuals who engage in such behavior have certain brain neuron wiring that is similar and creates feedback loops between emotions and the neo-cortex. Which would explain how one imagines or has complex behaviors they must fulfill (a type of self-story telling) that's driving certain compulsive behaviors.

The emotions of fear and anxiety are often tied to both these disorders, and both manifest themselves differently per person.

It does look like there is a genetic hereditary predisposition to developing these disorders as well, but the environment including how one is raised can trigger these conditions as well.
Uniquemind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 11th, 2019, 01:50 AM   #12
NoLimitGuy

It all starts with extreme laziness and then it outgrows into mentals disorder if there's no one there to keep an eye on that person...
NoLimitGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 11th, 2019, 03:14 PM   #13
desertlizard

As others have said, it most likely originates from OCD or depression, and it then becomes a viscous cycle because once there's a buildup of trash in their house, they feel ashamed and thus feel more anxious and/or depressed at the thought of throwing it away or--worse yet, having to have someone help them do it. There could of course be other reasons, but those I would think are the main reasons.
desertlizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 11th, 2019, 03:18 PM   #14
Cassius14
Great Poster

Do you mean literal rubbish/trash or hoards of collections?

I think some items ground people to a particular time in their lives and they want to hold onto those feelings and memories associated with them. Maybe it gives some them some control if they can put these objects into one place and watch over them.

If you mean things that should be thrown away, then I think it's something that started gradually and then grew out of hand.
Cassius14 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old March 11th, 2019, 06:35 PM   #15
Atom Starfire
Awesome Poster

Atom Starfire's Forum Picture

Name: Adrian
Location: 0000 Mystery Street, Sometown, Mystery State, Somewhere on Earth

It might be depression, where one does not want to discard unnecessary items. But it is mostly due to compulsive hoarding (mental health condition).

Mostly, hoarders want to own a lot of stuff. I remember seeing a post on Reddit about a hoarder who runs 6 old freezers in the basement (consumes a lot of electricity) which contained a lot of old food dating back to 1971 (yes seriously, and likely from grocery store dumpsters). It can be a bunch of old newspaper, or old furniture found at apartment dumpsters.

Or hoarders may just want to keep anything they can get for free (often from dumpsters) regardless of if it is useful or they even need it.

I am a tech geek. I also am fascinated with planes. And, I love looking at internet memes.
Feel free to send me a friend request
And send me a private message.
My AMA
Atom Starfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 12th, 2019, 12:32 AM   #16
Karkat
Knight of Blood

Karkat's Forum Picture

Name: Ren Hek

My mom and aunt both hoard as a result of OCD
I used to, because I had a hard time letting go of physical possessions that reminded me of good memories

Sometimes, people with OCD just find connections to things. My aunt hoards food because she didn't have enough to eat at times. My mom hoards useful things because she was a single mom for a while, and we were not what you'd consider well off

I always had a problem with hoarding because my environment has changed so often and so drastically that all I felt I could look to for stability was concrete, physical possessions

And then, sometimes, it just bleeds in to the rest of the things that come into your possession

It's usually painful and embarrassing for the people who deal with it. They're usually pretty aware, in my experience

Just a ghost

Nothing to see here
Karkat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 14th, 2019, 04:50 PM   #17
Atom Starfire
Awesome Poster

Atom Starfire's Forum Picture

Name: Adrian
Location: 0000 Mystery Street, Sometown, Mystery State, Somewhere on Earth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karkat View Post
Sometimes, people with OCD just find connections to things. My aunt hoards food because she didn't have enough to eat at times. My mom hoards useful things because she was a single mom for a while, and we were not what you'd consider well off
TBH, in my opinion, I don't think that collecting actually useful and necesary things such as food (if you can't afford fresh food), or things with possible value such as furniture is really considered hoarding.

I am a tech geek. I also am fascinated with planes. And, I love looking at internet memes.
Feel free to send me a friend request
And send me a private message.
My AMA
Atom Starfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 14th, 2019, 04:52 PM   #18
Karkat
Knight of Blood

Karkat's Forum Picture

Name: Ren Hek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atom Starfire View Post
TBH, in my opinion, I don't think that collecting actually useful and necesary things such as food (if you can't afford fresh food), or things with possible value such as furniture is really considered hoarding.
I mean, fair enough, but I'm talking about cases where it becomes so consuming that it's hard to navigate a house. My mom and I have both gotten a lot better though.

Just a ghost

Nothing to see here
Karkat is offline   Reply With Quote