Go Back   Virtual Teen Forums > >
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read Chat Room

Old December 12th, 2018, 09:30 AM   #1
mjolnir3613
Great Poster

mjolnir3613's Forum Picture

Name: S
Default learning french

hey all does anyone have any tips on learning a second language. I'm a chef so learning french will help me alot in communicating

BY THE GRACE OF ODIN AND THE POWER OF THOR; I BESEECH THEE; GRANT ME THE STRENGTH, COURAGE, AND WISDON OF THE GODS
mjolnir3613 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 12th, 2018, 11:24 AM   #2
pauly
Member++

Name: paul
Default Re: learning french

Hi there.

If you need to speak it, the only real way is to spend some time in the country, either doing a course, or keeping away from people whose first language is the same as your own.

But if you have to stay in your own country, then you ideally need to take a total immersion course where you literally "have to" learn to make yourself understood.

Otherwise, there are evening classes if you're working during the day, or a selection of online one-to-one classes.

If you end up in a class with others, you must try hard not to get embarrassed when you try to speak the language. Imitate a native speaker.

But please realise that, if you don't go to the country whose language you're learning, it will be a slow process. So don't get frustrated too quickly.

Good luck!
pauly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 12th, 2018, 01:19 PM   #3
blnwkbl
Member+

There are some usual techniques.
Listening to music, watching films, reading books (at first small stories, then longer novels)and obviously going to a place where French is spoken. It helps a lot.

Once you have some understanding of the language, reading a book you already know well, in French, while having the same book in your mother tongue, helps a lot. I did it with Harry Potter to learn English. Since you already know the story, you understand the context of the story, if you don't understand, you've got the translation ready in the translated book, and you can search new words in a dictionary.

In any case, don't forget French is spoken in many places. There is a French-language culture in Belgium, Switzerland, Canada, in the US, in the Caribbeans, in Morocco, Algeria, Tunisia, Côte d'Ivoire, Sénégal, Madagascar, etc.

Why not start with the famous film Ratatouille with subtitles? It's all about French cuisine in Paris !

Last edited by blnwkbl; December 12th, 2018 at 01:22 PM.
blnwkbl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 12th, 2018, 01:41 PM   #4
breaux
Member++

breaux's Forum Picture

I know Duolingo has a whole section in Spanish for food related stuff, so there's probably that in French too on the app. Quizlet is neat too
breaux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 12th, 2018, 02:35 PM   #5
Cassius14
Nice Poster

I spend ages on YT watching language videos but I mean ones from vloggers who speak in a normal everyday way

It might help you but you have to persevere
Cassius14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 12th, 2018, 03:07 PM   #6
ska8er
VT Lover

ska8er's Forum Picture

Name: Andy

Ne se soucient pas de létudier.

I had enough of Latin and Espaniol.
Take a community college basic course.
ska8er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 12th, 2018, 03:39 PM   #7
InternetTeen
Awesome Poster

Location: With my parents who live with me who live next to my neighbours house who live next to my house

Learn to understand it. Then you can talk it. I can fully understand Italian and am currently learning to talk it.
InternetTeen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 12th, 2018, 09:09 PM   #8
Light Brigade

Name: Logan

Practice would be my advice. I'm in my third year of french and my teacher will be doing college level for me next year. I think the hardest part is verb conjugations so learning the endings is very important.
Light Brigade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 14th, 2018, 09:53 PM   #9
mjolnir3613
Great Poster

mjolnir3613's Forum Picture

Name: S

any other suggestions?

BY THE GRACE OF ODIN AND THE POWER OF THOR; I BESEECH THEE; GRANT ME THE STRENGTH, COURAGE, AND WISDON OF THE GODS
mjolnir3613 is offline   Reply With Quote