Virtual Teen Forums
 

Go Back   Virtual Teen Forums > >
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read Chat Room

 
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old August 13th, 2007, 05:46 PM   #1
Teenager
New Member
 
Join Date: August 5, 2007
Location: England
Gender: Undisclosed
Default Help, about to start shaving.

I need to start shaving as I'm starting to get some hair on my upper lip. But I have a few questions.
  • What do I use, a razor or one of those hi tech shaver things you always see advertised on TV ?
  • Do I use shaving cream ?
  • I have spots, so will shaving hurt ?
  • How often do I need to shave ?

Thanks in advance.
Teenager is offline  
Old August 13th, 2007, 05:56 PM   #2
underoath12192
Member
 
Join Date: June 24, 2007
Location: Ohio,USA
Age: 26
Gender: Male
Default Re: Help, about to start shaving.

You can use either a razor or 1 of the more high-tech ones but a razor will work just fine.
Yes, use shaving cream.
What do you mean by "spots"? If you're talking about acne then you might cut them open but its not all that bad. You'll probably cut yourself the first time you shave anyways
As for how often you need to shave, it depends on how quickly it grows back. It may just be once a month at first but the more and more you shave the more often you have to. I've been shaving for about two years now and I have to shave once a week.

and sometimes the place i'm at is at a loss for words
if i think of something worthy, i know that it's already yours
and through the times i've faded and you've outlined me again
you've just patiently waited, to bring me back and then ---Relient K "I am understood?"
underoath12192 is offline  
Old August 13th, 2007, 06:07 PM   #3
0=
Gone...
 
0='s Forum Picture
 
Join Date: May 5, 2006
Gender: Male
Default Re: Help, about to start shaving.

I recommend getting a Gillette Fusion. Just shave after you get out of the shower and use a little shaving cream to reduce irritation. The five blades really help reduce irritation. The single blade is for between the eyebrows and right below the nose; basically wherever the five can't get. Just relax and go slowly your first time, breath deeply, and start somewhere you can see easily. If you're nervous and shaking you're just going to cut yourself. Rinse the razor out every couple strokes, or it won't cut as well and you might get some irritation; it also helps keep it sharp. Don't press too hard, but don't be afraid to use a little pressure, it will feel a little weird, but you'll get used to it. Rinse your face off with cold water after you're done and dab your face dry. Make sure you rinse the razor out well. If you go with electric just follow the manufacturer's instructions. It won't shave nearly as closely as a five blade, though. Good luck!
0= is offline  
Old August 13th, 2007, 06:17 PM   #4
underoath12192
Member
 
Join Date: June 24, 2007
Location: Ohio,USA
Age: 26
Gender: Male
Default Re: Help, about to start shaving.

Yes, Gilette Fusion is pretty awesome. Thats what I use and you probably won't cut yourself as much with it compared to say Bic disposable razors. And like 0= said, make sure not to be too hard but you do have to apply some pressure. I kow when I started I didnt want to apply any pressure but you won't cut yourself if its just the right amount.

and sometimes the place i'm at is at a loss for words
if i think of something worthy, i know that it's already yours
and through the times i've faded and you've outlined me again
you've just patiently waited, to bring me back and then ---Relient K "I am understood?"
underoath12192 is offline  
Old August 13th, 2007, 09:38 PM   #5
MoveAlong
Legendary Member
 
Join Date: April 6, 2006
Gender: Male
Default Re: Help, about to start shaving.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0= View Post
I recommend getting a Gillette Fusion. Just shave after you get out of the shower and use a little shaving cream to reduce irritation. The five blades really help reduce irritation. The single blade is for between the eyebrows and right below the nose; basically wherever the five can't get. Just relax and go slowly your first time, breath deeply, and start somewhere you can see easily. If you're nervous and shaking you're just going to cut yourself. Rinse the razor out every couple strokes, or it won't cut as well and you might get some irritation; it also helps keep it sharp. Don't press too hard, but don't be afraid to use a little pressure, it will feel a little weird, but you'll get used to it. Rinse your face off with cold water after you're done and dab your face dry. Make sure you rinse the razor out well. If you go with electric just follow the manufacturer's instructions. It won't shave nearly as closely as a five blade, though. Good luck!
I agree with this!

How often you have to shave depends on how fast your hair grows back, which by the way doesn't get increaced because you shave it. Also, if you're using a razor (and not a battery-powered thing), shave down, not up. You could increace your chances of getting ingrown hairs or razor burn. Shave how the hair grows - down =]
MoveAlong is offline  
Old August 13th, 2007, 11:16 PM   #6
underoath12192
Member
 
Join Date: June 24, 2007
Location: Ohio,USA
Age: 26
Gender: Male
Default Re: Help, about to start shaving.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoveAlong View Post
How often you have to shave depends on how fast your hair grows back, which by the way doesn't get increaced because you shave it.
Actually, it does. I know through experience. The more you shave your facial hair the faster it grows back. Maybe I misunderstood you movealong but it does grow back faster each time you shave. Hence, why young teenage boys don't need to shave everyday while many grown adults do.

and sometimes the place i'm at is at a loss for words
if i think of something worthy, i know that it's already yours
and through the times i've faded and you've outlined me again
you've just patiently waited, to bring me back and then ---Relient K "I am understood?"

Last edited by underoath12192; August 13th, 2007 at 11:17 PM. Reason: reworded something
underoath12192 is offline  
Old August 13th, 2007, 11:31 PM   #7
Maverick
Retired Administrator
 
Maverick's Forum Picture
 
Join Date: February 12, 2006
Age: 28
Gender: Male
Blog Entries: 18
Default Re: Help, about to start shaving.

Quote:
Originally Posted by underoath12192 View Post
Actually, it does. I know through experience. The more you shave your facial hair the faster it grows back. Maybe I misunderstood you movealong but it does grow back faster each time you shave. Hence, why young teenage boys don't need to shave everyday while many grown adults do.
It doesn't grow back any faster. it's a myth
Maverick is offline  
Old August 14th, 2007, 12:29 PM   #8
0=
Gone...
 
0='s Forum Picture
 
Join Date: May 5, 2006
Gender: Male
Default Re: Help, about to start shaving.

It grows back faster as you mature, not because you start shaving. Connecting two unrelated events that occur at the same time without any linking evidence is bad reasoning.

Last edited by 0=; August 14th, 2007 at 01:19 PM.
0= is offline  
Old August 14th, 2007, 01:09 PM   #9
Crazysam
Nice Poster
 
Crazysam's Forum Picture
 
Join Date: July 25, 2007
Location: London, England
Age: 25
Gender: Male
Default Re: Help, about to start shaving.

i'm pretty sure that if you shave your facial hair it grows back. My dad definatley supports this theory

Love me for what I am hate me for what I am not
Crazysam is offline  
Old August 14th, 2007, 01:20 PM   #10
0=
Gone...
 
0='s Forum Picture
 
Join Date: May 5, 2006
Gender: Male
Default Re: Help, about to start shaving.

Of course it grows back, but not more quickly.
0= is offline  
 

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:50 AM.


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright©2000 - 2018
Search Engine Optimisation provided by DragonByte SEO (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2018 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Copyright 2004 - 2018, VirtualTeen.org