Virtual Teen Forums

Go Back   Virtual Teen Forums > >
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read Chat Room

Old August 13th, 2007, 05:46 PM   #1
Teenager

Default Help, about to start shaving.

I need to start shaving as I'm starting to get some hair on my upper lip. But I have a few questions.
  • What do I use, a razor or one of those hi tech shaver things you always see advertised on TV ?
  • Do I use shaving cream ?
  • I have spots, so will shaving hurt ?
  • How often do I need to shave ?

Thanks in advance.
Old August 13th, 2007, 05:56 PM   #2
underoath12192

Default Re: Help, about to start shaving.

You can use either a razor or 1 of the more high-tech ones but a razor will work just fine.
Yes, use shaving cream.
What do you mean by "spots"? If you're talking about acne then you might cut them open but its not all that bad. You'll probably cut yourself the first time you shave anyways
As for how often you need to shave, it depends on how quickly it grows back. It may just be once a month at first but the more and more you shave the more often you have to. I've been shaving for about two years now and I have to shave once a week.

and sometimes the place i'm at is at a loss for words
if i think of something worthy, i know that it's already yours
and through the times i've faded and you've outlined me again
you've just patiently waited, to bring me back and then ---Relient K "I am understood?"
Old August 13th, 2007, 06:07 PM   #3
0=
Gone...

0='s Forum Picture

I recommend getting a Gillette Fusion. Just shave after you get out of the shower and use a little shaving cream to reduce irritation. The five blades really help reduce irritation. The single blade is for between the eyebrows and right below the nose; basically wherever the five can't get. Just relax and go slowly your first time, breath deeply, and start somewhere you can see easily. If you're nervous and shaking you're just going to cut yourself. Rinse the razor out every couple strokes, or it won't cut as well and you might get some irritation; it also helps keep it sharp. Don't press too hard, but don't be afraid to use a little pressure, it will feel a little weird, but you'll get used to it. Rinse your face off with cold water after you're done and dab your face dry. Make sure you rinse the razor out well. If you go with electric just follow the manufacturer's instructions. It won't shave nearly as closely as a five blade, though. Good luck!
Old August 13th, 2007, 06:17 PM   #4
underoath12192

Yes, Gilette Fusion is pretty awesome. Thats what I use and you probably won't cut yourself as much with it compared to say Bic disposable razors. And like 0= said, make sure not to be too hard but you do have to apply some pressure. I kow when I started I didnt want to apply any pressure but you won't cut yourself if its just the right amount.

you've just patiently waited, to bring me back and then ---Relient K "I am understood?"
Old August 13th, 2007, 09:38 PM   #5
MoveAlong
Legendary Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0= View Post
I recommend getting a Gillette Fusion. Just shave after you get out of the shower and use a little shaving cream to reduce irritation. The five blades really help reduce irritation. The single blade is for between the eyebrows and right below the nose; basically wherever the five can't get. Just relax and go slowly your first time, breath deeply, and start somewhere you can see easily. If you're nervous and shaking you're just going to cut yourself. Rinse the razor out every couple strokes, or it won't cut as well and you might get some irritation; it also helps keep it sharp. Don't press too hard, but don't be afraid to use a little pressure, it will feel a little weird, but you'll get used to it. Rinse your face off with cold water after you're done and dab your face dry. Make sure you rinse the razor out well. If you go with electric just follow the manufacturer's instructions. It won't shave nearly as closely as a five blade, though. Good luck!
I agree with this!

How often you have to shave depends on how fast your hair grows back, which by the way doesn't get increaced because you shave it. Also, if you're using a razor (and not a battery-powered thing), shave down, not up. You could increace your chances of getting ingrown hairs or razor burn. Shave how the hair grows - down =]
Old August 13th, 2007, 11:16 PM   #6
underoath12192

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoveAlong View Post
How often you have to shave depends on how fast your hair grows back, which by the way doesn't get increaced because you shave it.
Actually, it does. I know through experience. The more you shave your facial hair the faster it grows back. Maybe I misunderstood you movealong but it does grow back faster each time you shave. Hence, why young teenage boys don't need to shave everyday while many grown adults do.

Last edited by underoath12192; August 13th, 2007 at 11:17 PM. Reason: reworded something
Old August 13th, 2007, 11:31 PM   #7
Maverick
Retired Administrator

Maverick's Forum Picture

Quote:
Originally Posted by underoath12192 View Post
Actually, it does. I know through experience. The more you shave your facial hair the faster it grows back. Maybe I misunderstood you movealong but it does grow back faster each time you shave. Hence, why young teenage boys don't need to shave everyday while many grown adults do.
It doesn't grow back any faster. it's a myth
Old August 14th, 2007, 12:29 PM   #8
0=
Gone...

0='s Forum Picture

It grows back faster as you mature, not because you start shaving. Connecting two unrelated events that occur at the same time without any linking evidence is bad reasoning.

Last edited by 0=; August 14th, 2007 at 01:19 PM.
Old August 14th, 2007, 01:09 PM   #9
Crazysam
Nice Poster

Crazysam's Forum Picture

i'm pretty sure that if you shave your facial hair it grows back. My dad definatley supports this theory

Love me for what I am hate me for what I am not
Old August 14th, 2007, 01:20 PM   #10
0=
Gone...

0='s Forum Picture

Of course it grows back, but not more quickly.