Go Back   Virtual Teen Forums > >
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read Chat Room

Old May 6th, 2018, 10:53 PM   #21
Shiny Moon
Nice Poster

Shiny Moon's Forum Picture

Name: Savannah
Default Re: Credit Card at 16???

I got one this year, and it's much better than carrying cash around.
I got a lot of self-control and I know I've worked a lot to get my money, so I don't like to spend it in stuff I don't really need.
I've never seen debit/credit cards as a problem, what really matters is how it is used.

Looking to the sky to save me ♫♪

17. Bi.

PM me if you want to chat I don't bite!
Shiny Moon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12th, 2018, 01:16 AM   #22
Riley2015
Member++

Riley2015's Forum Picture

Name: Riley

Well my cousin is a few years older, he is 18. But just to warn you, he went over his limit and has been struggling to make repayments ever since so he has been getting charges added every month. So you need to be careful with a credit card and avoid the debt getting out of hand.

I would not want a credit card yet, i am 16 now, and even if i wanted it my parents will not allow it until i am 18.

Last edited by Riley2015; May 12th, 2018 at 01:21 AM.
Riley2015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22nd, 2018, 09:54 PM   #23
Ellia
Member+

Ellia's Forum Picture

Name: Ella

I would only get one for absolute emergencies. Is good credit really necessary? If you are successful with a good salary there isn't a huge need to get a loan, if you are low paid you are likely not going to be able to pay it back. Having a savings account linked to an emergency savings fund would likely be the better route, that way you don't have to worry about having to pay money back in the future.
Ellia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24th, 2018, 01:01 PM   #24
Katie2003
Nice Poster

Name: Katelynn

There's a lot more to it than just using it responsibly to pay for things. If you are smart you can buy things that you can afford to pay for, and then pay off the credit card every month without ever paying a dime of interest. That is the responsible way to use credit cards for a teen, or for anyone.

From what I understand, good credit is totally necessary. You can't rent or buy a car, buy a house, lease an apartment, and so many other things. They even use it when you attend college.

My aunt works in human resources at a big company and she told my parents to get us all credit cards as soon as we were eligible because it takes a few years to establish a credit rating. She says that credit scores are one of the first things they look at for job applicants and people who don't have credit or have a low score are automatically ineligible for employment at a lot of places.

In addition to teaching financial responsibility, having a credit card is necessary for establishing credit that we will need to be able to be successful in life as we get a few years older. I never would have guessed that credit rating is looked at when applying for college, but my big sis did her college apps a few months ago, and every one of them reviewed her credit as part of the basis for admission.
Katie2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 2nd, 2018, 10:17 AM   #25
nick_1999
Member+

nick_1999's Forum Picture

When I was 16, I got a card, but I found that it was easier for me if I just had cash rather than immediate access through a credit card. If it's an option, I would suggest looking into an ATM card, which just allows you to withdraw cash from your bank's ATM. You can't use it for online purchases or at stores. Unless you're planning on buying a lot of stuff online, then I would really consider doing the ATM card because 1) I've found that I use my money more wisely than if I had that unlimited access and 2) I learned how to use a checkbook, which is really valuable later in life

19 / Male / Straight but kinda curious

PM me any time you want to talk!
nick_1999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 2nd, 2018, 10:44 AM   #26
Devinsoccer
Member++

Devinsoccer's Forum Picture

It good to either have high credit score or no credit score. I dont want to be in debt, the only reason I would get a credit card is if I wanted to travel to another country

I love bananas and minions.
Treat others the way you want to be treated-God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devinsoccer View Post
Live life the way you want to live it, not the way others want you to live it.
Why do people believe that killing people isn't okay, but killing innocent baby or fetus inside the womb is okay? and vice versa?
Devinsoccer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 3rd, 2018, 02:09 AM   #27
plasmaspirit
Banned

Name: J.

treat it like a debit card. Only pay for things you can afford meaning if you charge 15 dollars you better have 15 dollars. I have a few credit cards from my parents and I went wild on them when i first got them. I had to pay for a significant numbers of items and my dad actually halved the credit cards I had after this. Best option is keep a study envelope. Put your money equivalent or greater to every item you charge in that envelope. At the time the card cuts off use the money to pay it off immediately do not hesitate. I dont know your socio economic status but if you arent that well off i recommend not having someone co-sign. Remember you are ruining their credit an d will take them down with you so they better be able to bail you and them out.
plasmaspirit is offline   Reply With Quote