Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read Chat Room

Old November 26th, 2017, 04:42 PM   #1
Living For Love
VT Lover

Living For Love's Forum Picture

Name: Tiago
Default How would you react?

Questions for atheists/agnostics:
How would you react if your son or daughter told you they believed in God or had been converted to any religion? Would you support it? Would you punish it?

Questions for religious people:
How would you react if your son or daughter told you they had been converted to a religion different from yours? Would you support it? Would you punish it?

---

In my case (I'm a Christian), if I had a daughter and if one day she told me she wanted to become a Muslim, I'd try to have a reasonable discussion with her by showing her why I am a Christian and not anything else. If she still wanted to become a Muslim, I would obviously respect and accept it and pray for her nevertheless.

Tiago | ♂ | 20 | PM | VM | Ask Me | Lonely Hearts Club

Help and Advice Moderator

~Mike was here~
Living For Love is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 26th, 2017, 04:45 PM   #2
devotionnel
VT Lover

devotionnel's Forum Picture

Name: shay
Default Re: How would you react?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Living For Love View Post
How would you react if your son or daughter told you they believed in God or had been converted to any religion? Would you support it? Would you punish it?
I find it laughable that I'd ever have kids, but if that was the case I would accept their beliefs entirely and aid their decisions where possible. I would check first that they're sure with their decision especially if it's a drastic choice they are making.

edit: this is most likely because I wasn't raised in a religious family whatsoever, and I was kind of free to believe whatever I wanted to believe so I would allow the same kind of freedom on my child.

devotionnel ~ help and advice moderator
ask me last.fm

~Endeavour was here~
*Mars was here*

Last edited by devotionnel; November 26th, 2017 at 05:19 PM.
devotionnel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 26th, 2017, 04:56 PM   #3
Just JT
I give a actual fuck

Just JT's Forum Picture

Name: JT

I don’t think I’d be happy about my kids leaving the faith I raised them in. They’d basically be telling me they don’t believe in the same basic values I tried to raise them with. Although that may not be true, that’s how I’d feel.

I’d have a conversation about it with them and make sure (for myself) that they’ve made their decision on well informed principals and that this is what THEY want, not what someone else wants of them.

And if it’s something they’ve decided under their own free will and truelly believe in what they are doing, how Can I pass judgement On them for something they believe in. It’s not like you can change how you believe in a religion or any fact for that matter.

And yes I’d support their decision, I’d want them in my life. And if I didn’t. We’d probably all lose out
Just JT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 27th, 2017, 12:18 PM   #4
Babs
draft dodger

Babs's Forum Picture

I would want my kids to do and believe what's right and I don't believe any religion is right, so I would be a little disappointed. But at the end of the day I can't tell them what to do so why make a fuss out of it if they aren't hurting anybody.
Babs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 27th, 2017, 12:28 PM   #5
ShineintheDark
Nice Poster

Name: Magnus

I come from a fairly religious family but aren't that religious myyself. Therefore, I;d probably be pretty chill with any child I have having a faith since, at the end of the day, just as I genuinely couldn't feel faith in my heart, I can't judge or be annoyed at them for having it.
ShineintheDark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 27th, 2017, 01:29 PM   #6
Valentine_
Nice Poster

Valentine_'s Forum Picture

Name: Valentina

My family never really pushed religion on me and the only really religious person in my family is grandma and she doesn't care that much either. I was baptised and got other Christian sacraments just because it's kind of tradition here but I'm not religious at all. I would probably do the same with my kids but I wouldn't in any way push religion on them. To be complitely honest I'm not sure if I would be like whatever if they settled for some other religion but wouldn't be a big deal either.

I'm often silent when I'm screaming inside.

Valentine_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 27th, 2017, 02:24 PM   #7
Mars
Global Moderator

Mars's Forum Picture

I was not raised religious like I know my grandparents were, so I was never pushed to follow a religion or a faith. My dad is one of those people that call religious followers weirdos and crazies, and being kind of religious myself now, it’s hurtful. It’s a shame to see people being not accepting or tolerant to those who think differently from them.

If I had kids and I raised them Roman pagan, which I don’t think I will, and they decided to convert to another religion, I would talk with them first. I would see why they want to convert and why they don’t feel comfortable identifying as the same faith as me. If they decide to be serious with following another faith, I would be accepting of it. I wouldn’t judge and I would make them feel comfortable with their faith. Same thing if I raised them atheist/not faithful and they decided to be religious afterwards. It’s not a problem. They are their own person with their own beliefs and opinions. I am not judging anyone for their faith, most of all my kids.

"The head may err, but never the blood.”
Nice salt pouch, asshole
Quote:
The point isn’t to actually have the biggest penis in the world, but to carry yourself like you have the biggest penis.

~Endeavour was here~
~Mike Was Here~
Mars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 27th, 2017, 06:42 PM   #8
mattsmith48
VT Lover

Name: matt

I strong believe that religion should be kept away from children, especially the three big ones Christianity, Judaism and Islam, and when they are old enough to make that decision if they wish to join a religion. Personally if my child would want to join a religion, I would tell them why that religion is bad in a non-bias way, if after that they would still want to join that religion while accepting the negative part of it all you can do is accept it. I would just hope its a fun one like Mormonism.

Straight Canadian boy
feel free to pm me will talk about anything
mattsmith48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 27th, 2017, 06:51 PM   #9
Lost in the Echo
mofo

Lost in the Echo's Forum Picture

Name: Bo

I’m agnostic so I wouldn’t really give a fuck tbh. If I ever have kids I’d want them to feel comfortable talking to me about anything and just being open.
But then again, I’m as non religious as it gets. So it’s whatever.
Lost in the Echo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 27th, 2017, 07:48 PM   #10
Just JT
I give a actual fuck

Just JT's Forum Picture

Name: JT

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattsmith48 View Post
I strong believe that religion should be kept away from children, especially the three big ones Christianity, Judaism and Islam, and when they are old enough to make that decision if they wish to join a religion. Personally if my child would want to join a religion, I would tell them why that religion is bad in a non-bias way, if after that they would still want to join that religion while accepting the negative part of it all you can do is accept it. I would just hope its a fun one like Mormonism.
This actually makes some sense to me. I’ve windered sometimes how it’s ok that parents like choose the religion for the children just cause they are born into it or the parents decide to raise the child in this or that religion.

Seems to me it makes more sense to provide the information to make an educated decision at an appropriate age, and let them decide for themselves
Just JT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 27th, 2017, 10:46 PM   #11
Dalcourt
VT Lover

Dalcourt's Forum Picture

Name: Peanut

I wasn't raised religious and nobody ever wanted me to followcertain beliefs.
I was free in my decision what to believe and I follow a different religion than my father does. He was so allowed to freely choose what he wants to believe in by his Mom...so in my family we were allowed to decide which religion we follow. So if the highly unrealistic case that I have children happens, my kids would of course have the freedom to decide what they believe in and I would of course accept it.
Dalcourt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 28th, 2017, 03:06 AM   #12
Adarest

I would let the child believe whichever religion they wanted to believe in, since I grew up learning to believe what was most comfortable for me, which means I don't believe in a god. The child doesn't have to follow my own reasons, but if they think believing in something helps them feel better about the world, I would let them. They made the choice to be that way, so let them.
Adarest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 3rd, 2017, 06:48 PM   #13
max02

max02's Forum Picture

Name: Max

i would send my kid to science camp lol
max02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 3rd, 2017, 07:46 PM   #14
Living For Love
VT Lover

Living For Love's Forum Picture

Name: Tiago

Quote:
Originally Posted by max02 View Post
i would send my kid to science camp lol
That reminded me how some parents send kids to religious conversion camps after they tell them they're gay lmao xD

Tiago | ♂ | 20 | PM | VM | Ask Me | Lonely Hearts Club

Help and Advice Moderator

~Mike was here~
Living For Love is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 3rd, 2017, 07:52 PM   #15
Elysium
Global Moderator

Elysium's Forum Picture

If my child told me that they were religious in any regard, I would absolutely support it and do whatever they needed or wanted me to do without compromising my own values. I probably wouldn't be thrilled if my kid wasn't Jewish (like me), but that's not my decision to make for them.

Global Moderator
My Diary
“Everything was beautiful and nothing hurt.”
- Kurt Vonnegut, Slaughterhouse Five

PM me FAQ
[email protected]
“The Goderator”
~Mike was here~
*Ali*
val
~Steven~
Elysium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 4th, 2017, 12:14 AM   #16
Falcons_11
Awesome Poster

It wouldn't bother me in the least if my kids decide to join (or not to join) any religion or church. They should have the right to decide what they believe (or not believe) when it comes to any religion or belief.
Falcons_11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 4th, 2017, 05:05 PM   #17
crazyjazy02

crazyjazy02's Forum Picture

Name: Leanne

I would accept their wishes. All my best friends are from different faiths, and that hasn't changed our friendship. It's given each other an insight into each others beliefs. So, if my son told me he wasn't atheist, then I wouldn't mind whatever.
crazyjazy02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 6th, 2017, 08:17 AM   #18
Lillynet

Lillynet's Forum Picture

well if my child choose another religion than mine its fre to do it just iwant him to be carefull though :o
Lillynet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 7th, 2017, 10:44 AM   #19
mick01
Awesome Poster

mick01's Forum Picture

Name: Mick

I'd be proud that my kid was able to make a decision like this on his/her own. And if he/she believed that strongly, I would support him or her as long as those beliefs were not pushed onto me.
mick01 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old December 11th, 2017, 11:47 AM   #20
Nikki_1
Junior Member+

Name: Nicola

I think everyone has to find their own religion, the difficulty is finding the right one!
Finding the true religion can be hard because its not what YOU want but what GOD wants that matters!
Nikki_1 is offline   Reply With Quote