Virtual Teen Forums
 

Go Back   Virtual Teen Forums > >
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read Chat Room

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old November 14th, 2019, 10:17 PM   #1
karacoustic
Awesome Poster
 
karacoustic's Forum Picture
 
Name: Kara
Join Date: December 10, 2018
Location: Midwest Girl
Age: 16
Gender: Female
Blog Entries: 3
Default Social media and depression and anxiety

Hi! This is mostly for others with depression and anxiety, but anyone can answer as long as we agree to keep it positive and encouraging. This is the mental health section, after all!

I read an article online about a study that showed that lots of social media use contributes to depression and anxiety. But I came across another one that said maybe not as much as we think. Who knows? But it did made me think about it a bit and, of course I can only speak for myself here, but I think it does contribute.

Well there are the obvious things like how we always only put our best and happiest pics and posts out there...... why can't I be happy like they are? I wish I were as pretty like she is...... all illusions right? But it is easy to forget.

Also communication is soooooo tricky on social media. Is this person being sarcastic? I don't know! When you can't see someone or pick up on visuals or facial reactions or have that normal relaxed back and forth things can get lost. I was reminded for this earlier this week when I experienced a big misunderstanding with someone and I am 100 percent convinced it would have been different if the convo were unfolding IRL. Which leads me to another thing.... many times I am sure that things are all in my head. omg he didn't respond to me. hmmm.... Wait, am I being ignored? Does she hate me!!?? WHAT DID I DO WRONG???!!! I tend to wayyy overthink things. lol I know, that's on me. I have problems.

But yea, these things really do make a difference in my moods and my levels of anxiety I have found.

But all in all I am glad social media is a thing. I love being able to stay connected with my friends and in the case of VT, meeting people from all over the world! Although some people out there do not have our best interests but most are fairly obvs. I have received some great advice and support here, especially here in the mental health section. It can be rewarding to let your guard down and be "real." I like being able to encourage and help people on here too. And just sharing fun things and being silly with others, it really makes my day sometimes and I hope it does for you too. Like many things in our lives, it is important to find a balance. social media included. It wouldn't hurt me to scale back a little.

What are your thoughts?

So long and thanks for all the fish!

Last edited by karacoustic; November 15th, 2019 at 12:27 AM.
Likes: (2)
karacoustic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 15th, 2019, 05:32 AM   #2
Caycedilla
Awesome Poster
 
Caycedilla's Forum Picture
 
Name: Cayce
Join Date: December 11, 2017
Location: usa
Age: 17
Gender: Female
Default Re: Social media and depression and anxiety

We certainly don’t think about the ones we affect with our words and our selfishness sometimes, do we? While I can understand the anxiety and depression that others cause (trust me, you should know)...it may be better sometimes to look at the things we have caused others to feel. It’s not a “me” thing, but rather an “us” thing. There are people who don’t have many friends or others to talk to, or have difficulty expressing themselves. A lie, or attempt at turning things towards yourself, can have major fallout and devastate someone else emotionally. When we put ourselves first everyone loses. People can claim that they are “nice” all they want too, but when they have a track record of putting themselves first...it doesn’t really work

Omg I’m so sorry this happened to you All the love in the world and I hope that you feel so much better for all the anxiety and stuff that’s affecting you and that’s caused to you


”I'd far rather be happy than right any day” -Douglas Adams

17 - F - flag spinner, saber tosser, prop dancer
feel free to PM
Likes: (1)
Caycedilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 15th, 2019, 05:49 AM   #3
Pultost
Mushroom Lover
 
Pultost's Forum Picture
 
Name: Anita
Join Date: May 15, 2018
Location: Norway
Age: 15
Gender: Female
Default Re: Social media and depression and anxiety

I can definitely relate to the "they look so happy, what am I doing wrong" part, and I think it's a very common mindset, I'm afraid. :/

"A shovel is never not useful".

-Lee Everett
Likes: (1)
Pultost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 15th, 2019, 02:19 PM   #4
karacoustic
Awesome Poster
 
karacoustic's Forum Picture
 
Name: Kara
Join Date: December 10, 2018
Location: Midwest Girl
Age: 16
Gender: Female
Blog Entries: 3
Default Re: Social media and depression and anxiety

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caycedilla View Post
We certainly don’t think about the ones we affect with our words and our selfishness sometimes, do we? While I can understand the anxiety and depression that others cause (trust me, you should know)...it may be better sometimes to look at the things we have caused others to feel. It’s not a “me” thing, but rather an “us” thing. There are people who don’t have many friends or others to talk to, or have difficulty expressing themselves. A lie, or attempt at turning things towards yourself, can have major fallout and devastate someone else emotionally. When we put ourselves first everyone loses. People can claim that they are “nice” all they want too, but when they have a track record of putting themselves first...it doesn’t really work

Omg I’m so sorry this happened to you All the love in the world and I hope that you feel so much better for all the anxiety and stuff that’s affecting you and that’s caused to you

Thanks for providing some more perspective, Cayce.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pultost View Post
I can definitely relate to the "they look so happy, what am I doing wrong" part, and I think it's a very common mindset, I'm afraid. :/
For sure. I think if might be more common feeling we might think.

So long and thanks for all the fish!
karacoustic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 15th, 2019, 02:51 PM   #5
ska8er
Legendary Member
 
ska8er's Forum Picture
 
Name: Andy
Join Date: August 23, 2013
Location: Pennsylvania USA
Age: 19
Gender: Male
Default Re: Social media and depression and anxiety

Just because they look good or have a
lot of friends and r happy isn't always
the case. The grass is not always greener
on the other side. I know u want to keep
this positive but there is a lot of unreal
things and situations with social media.
ska8er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 15th, 2019, 03:20 PM   #6
Pultost
Mushroom Lover
 
Pultost's Forum Picture
 
Name: Anita
Join Date: May 15, 2018
Location: Norway
Age: 15
Gender: Female
Default Re: Social media and depression and anxiety

Quote:
Originally Posted by karacoustic View Post
For sure. I think if might be more common feeling we might think.
Yeah, all those "happy" people might be thinking the exact same thing for all we know.

"A shovel is never not useful".

-Lee Everett
Likes: (1)
Pultost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 15th, 2019, 04:10 PM   #7
Uniquemind
VT Lover
 
Join Date: April 1, 2015
Location: USA
Gender: Other
Default Re: Social media and depression and anxiety

Social media made or amplified the sense that we’re in a “contest” for likes, follows, friends, and all the materialistic things and experiences one can do while they’re alive.

It’s weird too once it publically became known that some make careers out of it, and it became like the “new celebrity” goal to be in a way. On the flip side too, you can tell classic celebrity power and status has lost some influence in society due to the rise of online personalities.

This has caused tension too between old business models and new media models in terms of social clout, business reputations etc.


It’s also created a bad hate-mob effect, also referred to as social brigading, where ones own followers go start attacking the character of someone they perceive as slighting or wronging their “idol or friend”.

And it really stems from the natural defense mechanisms to want to stand-up for your friend and be supportive of them in real life, but online it’s different.


What’s also really interesting is to look at the different takeaways different genders take from social media, as I’ve seen mixed reports that females are impacted more than males with regards to “online comparing” status of themselves towards other profiles online they see.

Instagram is trying to take away the viewabiity of people’s “likes” for this reason; it’s impact on mental health.


It’s not inherently wrong to post pictures of ones experiences, food eaten, people met, it’s basically online scrapbooking, and sometimes for those who’ve been through natural disasters or lost a friend, the fact those images or memories are public has been a comfort to many on the flip side.


The morality and safety of how to use social media is definitely something we as a society have to figure out, as it opens up a window into both showing off, and those looking into that window to judge you. This includes future employers who will and have embarrassed individuals during job interview processes for things done when you were a young teen as well.

There’s been VT posts talking about experiences as well. So thought I’d remind people of what’s been discussed so far given those threads are dated and old now.
Likes: (2)
Uniquemind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 15th, 2019, 05:34 PM   #8
karacoustic
Awesome Poster
 
karacoustic's Forum Picture
 
Name: Kara
Join Date: December 10, 2018
Location: Midwest Girl
Age: 16
Gender: Female
Blog Entries: 3
Default Re: Social media and depression and anxiety

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uniquemind View Post
Social media made or amplified the sense that we’re in a “contest” for likes, follows, friends, and all the materialistic things and experiences one can do while they’re alive.

It’s weird too once it publically became known that some make careers out of it, and it became like the “new celebrity” goal to be in a way. On the flip side too, you can tell classic celebrity power and status has lost some influence in society due to the rise of online personalities.

This has caused tension too between old business models and new media models in terms of social clout, business reputations etc.


It’s also created a bad hate-mob effect, also referred to as social brigading, where ones own followers go start attacking the character of someone they perceive as slighting or wronging their “idol or friend”.

And it really stems from the natural defense mechanisms to want to stand-up for your friend and be supportive of them in real life, but online it’s different.


What’s also really interesting is to look at the different takeaways different genders take from social media, as I’ve seen mixed reports that females are impacted more than males with regards to “online comparing” status of themselves towards other profiles online they see.

Instagram is trying to take away the viewabiity of people’s “likes” for this reason; it’s impact on mental health.


It’s not inherently wrong to post pictures of ones experiences, food eaten, people met, it’s basically online scrapbooking, and sometimes for those who’ve been through natural disasters or lost a friend, the fact those images or memories are public has been a comfort to many on the flip side.


The morality and safety of how to use social media is definitely something we as a society have to figure out, as it opens up a window into both showing off, and those looking into that window to judge you. This includes future employers who will and have embarrassed individuals during job interview processes for things done when you were a young teen as well.

There’s been VT posts talking about experiences as well. So thought I’d remind people of what’s been discussed so far given those threads are dated and old now.
Good thoughts, UM. yea you are right. It does feel like a contest. That mentality is a big part of the problem, i think. And good for insta for at least considering mental health side of things.

You did a great job of highlighting how complicated it is to navigate this stuff!

Thanks, maybe i will do a search and look at some of the older threads.

So long and thanks for all the fish!

Last edited by karacoustic; November 15th, 2019 at 05:39 PM.
karacoustic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 15th, 2019, 07:59 PM   #9
Uniquemind
VT Lover
 
Join Date: April 1, 2015
Location: USA
Gender: Other
Default Re: Social media and depression and anxiety

Quote:
Originally Posted by karacoustic View Post
Good thoughts, UM. yea you are right. It does feel like a contest. That mentality is a big part of the problem, i think. And good for insta for at least considering mental health side of things.

You did a great job of highlighting how complicated it is to navigate this stuff!

Thanks, maybe i will do a search and look at some of the older threads.
I think for a person, to really understand why they feel compelled to post online images of themselves, to understand The underlying motivations behind why you do what you do, is vitally important to maintaining good mental health.

I try to lead by example by not posting images here on VT, and have the deeper think of my words matter most.

I’ll tell everyone too that that cuts down on creepers like 90% and is more likely to make time on VT a positive experience.

Posting food though is pretty neutral as well.


But there’s also a larger political context to showing off online. When countries and families experience economic inequality, showing off images of extravagant things looks bad. It’s not wrong, but it makes people think you’re lacking perspective taking to not help those less fortunate or those even in a friendship capacity to feel bad.

But those in higher smaller social bubbles where nobody is suffering economically, kinda stay within themselves, and just see it as business marketing, necessary to maintaining or growing a business or brand. It has to be public to do that, so they can’t shy away from it.

This is why also as a tangent to the metoo movement, the entertainment industry is struggling due to brand image and beauty image representation issues. Victoria secret and other well established brands have faced backlashes and their stock price has dropped.

People all over the developed world are really rebuking “idealism” and its showing in politics too, some of those topics are covered in ROTW.

As you get older you begin to see how all these sub-topics are interconnected to other topics. It’s like a web.


For the beauty and fashion industries, it’s connected to materialism body image, sexual desirability, and therefore depressionm and anxiety.
Uniquemind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 17th, 2019, 12:07 AM   #10
karacoustic
Awesome Poster
 
karacoustic's Forum Picture
 
Name: Kara
Join Date: December 10, 2018
Location: Midwest Girl
Age: 16
Gender: Female
Blog Entries: 3
Default Re: Social media and depression and anxiety

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uniquemind View Post
I think for a person, to really understand why they feel compelled to post online images of themselves, to understand The underlying motivations behind why you do what you do, is vitally important to maintaining good mental health.

I try to lead by example by not posting images here on VT, and have the deeper think of my words matter most.

I’ll tell everyone too that that cuts down on creepers like 90% and is more likely to make time on VT a positive experience.

Posting food though is pretty neutral as well.


But there’s also a larger political context to showing off online. When countries and families experience economic inequality, showing off images of extravagant things looks bad. It’s not wrong, but it makes people think you’re lacking perspective taking to not help those less fortunate or those even in a friendship capacity to feel bad.

But those in higher smaller social bubbles where nobody is suffering economically, kinda stay within themselves, and just see it as business marketing, necessary to maintaining or growing a business or brand. It has to be public to do that, so they can’t shy away from it.

This is why also as a tangent to the metoo movement, the entertainment industry is struggling due to brand image and beauty image representation issues. Victoria secret and other well established brands have faced backlashes and their stock price has dropped.

People all over the developed world are really rebuking “idealism” and its showing in politics too, some of those topics are covered in ROTW.

As you get older you begin to see how all these sub-topics are interconnected to other topics. It’s like a web.


For the beauty and fashion industries, it’s connected to materialism body image, sexual desirability, and therefore depressionm and anxiety.
And your thoughts on cat pics?


So long and thanks for all the fish!
karacoustic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 17th, 2019, 01:23 AM   #11
Zika
Awesome Poster
 
Join Date: November 17, 2018
Location: the sweet spot
Gender: Cisgender Male
Blog Entries: 1
Default Re: Social media and depression and anxiety

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caycedilla View Post
When we put ourselves first everyone loses. People can claim that they are “nice” all they want too, but when they have a track record of putting themselves first...it doesn’t really work
It is amazing how some people put themselves out there as being for everyone else, but their approach to real situations is always based on "I."

Last edited by Zika; November 17th, 2019 at 01:33 AM.
Likes: (1)
Zika is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 17th, 2019, 01:33 AM   #12
Zika
Awesome Poster
 
Join Date: November 17, 2018
Location: the sweet spot
Gender: Cisgender Male
Blog Entries: 1
Default Re: Social media and depression and anxiety

Everyone engages in confirmation bias, myself included. I do believe too much time on social media contributes to depression.

But part of it is self-inflicted. A person puts up a profile pic of her and her bf and lists her status as "in a relationship" on FB. Then she takes down that profile pic and puts one up of her alone and shows her status as blank. Now absolutely every single person in her life knows she has broken up with her bf. The last thing she wants is a bunch of nosy people asking her about it. It increases her anxiety and makes her more upset.

People choose to give up their privacy when they post everything about their lives. But some privacy is important, especially when situations in our lives take a turn for the worse.
Likes: (2)
Zika is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 17th, 2019, 05:13 AM   #13
Uniquemind
VT Lover
 
Join Date: April 1, 2015
Location: USA
Gender: Other
Default Re: Social media and depression and anxiety

Quote:
Originally Posted by karacoustic View Post
And your thoughts on cat pics?

image
That’s one of the few things the internet got right. Pets, food, and poetry sharing, basically sharing art and stuff that is “distant” from personal information about yourself.

Basically, social media made the general population feel what it is like to be a celebrity. As the celebrity world has felt the fishbowl effect for a while now.
Likes: (1)
Uniquemind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 17th, 2019, 01:37 PM   #14
karacoustic
Awesome Poster
 
karacoustic's Forum Picture
 
Name: Kara
Join Date: December 10, 2018
Location: Midwest Girl
Age: 16
Gender: Female
Blog Entries: 3
Default Re: Social media and depression and anxiety

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uniquemind View Post
That’s one of the few things the internet got right.
Agreed.

Also.... this seems about right...


So long and thanks for all the fish!
karacoustic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 18th, 2019, 04:35 AM   #15
Uniquemind
VT Lover
 
Join Date: April 1, 2015
Location: USA
Gender: Other
Default Re: Social media and depression and anxiety

Quote:
Originally Posted by karacoustic View Post
Agreed.

Also.... this seems about right...

image
Everytime humanity makes a invention or tool, the inventor forgets or assumes that tool will only be used for good righteous reasons and purposes and forgets to think how what they invent will be misused.



Now the risk is social media, and also now censorship of social media and how that’s controlling free speech and even legitimate criticism of controversial topics. Youtube is experiencing that now at the behest of google’s algorithms.

It’s starting out with good intentions, but watch how the moral police bullies payment processors or employers on who to let pay them for products and services based on the perceived moral behavior or reputation of what can be datamined about a person.


It’s really really scary because how many people going to look past whether accusations against your character were falsified or not? Worse yet what if an artificial intelligence is doing these decisions rather than a person? Who checks to make sure the robot program came to the right conclusion?
Uniquemind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 18th, 2019, 03:29 PM   #16
karacoustic
Awesome Poster
 
karacoustic's Forum Picture
 
Name: Kara
Join Date: December 10, 2018
Location: Midwest Girl
Age: 16
Gender: Female
Blog Entries: 3
Default Re: Social media and depression and anxiety

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uniquemind View Post
Everytime humanity makes a invention or tool, the inventor forgets or assumes that tool will only be used for good righteous reasons and purposes and forgets to think how what they invent will be misused.



Now the risk is social media, and also now censorship of social media and how that’s controlling free speech and even legitimate criticism of controversial topics. Youtube is experiencing that now at the behest of google’s algorithms.

It’s starting out with good intentions, but watch how the moral police bullies payment processors or employers on who to let pay them for products and services based on the perceived moral behavior or reputation of what can be datamined about a person.


It’s really really scary because how many people going to look past whether accusations against your character were falsified or not? Worse yet what if an artificial intelligence is doing these decisions rather than a person? Who checks to make sure the robot program came to the right conclusion?
Your comment on the robots reminds of some sci-fi i have read or watched! But of course it seems like the best stories are rooted in some kind of tech horror reality huh? I have heard that Black Mirror on Netflix does that real well but i haven't watched it yet.

btw back to that idea of Insta removing the viewability of likes, did you know there is an option here on VT to no longer be notified of likes?

So long and thanks for all the fish!

Last edited by karacoustic; November 18th, 2019 at 05:19 PM.
karacoustic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 19th, 2019, 04:14 AM   #17
Uniquemind
VT Lover
 
Join Date: April 1, 2015
Location: USA
Gender: Other
Default Re: Social media and depression and anxiety

Quote:
Originally Posted by karacoustic View Post
Your comment on the robots reminds of some sci-fi i have read or watched! But of course it seems like the best stories are rooted in some kind of tech horror reality huh? I have heard that Black Mirror on Netflix does that real well but i haven't watched it yet.

btw back to that idea of Insta removing the viewability of likes, did you know there is an option here on VT to no longer be notified of likes?
I was aware of it, for forums I have a mixed opinion as forums tend to be more idea sharing? So the likes are always relative to those being helpful or good natured.


I think a distinction should be made between social media that relies on images as the primary method of show-n-tell, versus a social media that relies on sharing typed or written experiences.

I think when it’s just words, there’s less likelihood people will try to compare their body with say someone else’s or something that derives harm.

Likes aren’t always likes it’s relative.

But the tough love scenario is that people at the end of the day might be equal spiritually in value to one another, but people have favorites. Parents have favorite children, bosses have favorite coworkers, people swap romantic partners and cheat and do all sorts of power-manipulation moves in life. People are born into different wealthy status.

Like one of my flaws I feel some guilt over is I don’t want to be with a partner who can’t help maintain the economic quality of life I was accustomed too growing up, and that’s only further reinforces the now, now that I experience college expenses and stuff. I have a hard time dating down which might be hallow, but at least I admit it.

Safe-spaces don’t really exist outside of a therapy, and part of growing up is understanding how to handle that adversity and still remain true to yourself.

Last edited by Uniquemind; November 19th, 2019 at 04:29 AM.
Uniquemind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 19th, 2019, 05:35 AM   #18
Croconaw
Water Type
 
Croconaw's Forum Picture
 
Join Date: May 2, 2013
Location: Arizona
Age: 21
Gender: Cisgender Female
Blog Entries: 4
Default Re: Social media and depression and anxiety

I believe that social media definitely can cause depression. I deactivated my Facebook account and found myself happier since. People put a version of themselves online that only shows a positive side. I believe that people do this to display how wonderful their life is, however, everyone does this.

The news also contributes to depression. It is all useless and negative. If something happens in the world and I need to know about it, someone will tell me. There is no reason for me to be watching the news to be showered with negativity. Obviously, what about watching the weather? You can just walk outside for that. You’ll know why the weather is after looking outside. The news is not important and it only spreads negativity.

Los Angeles Kings Fan Los Angeles Dodgers Fan
Proud Liberal DemocratPro-Choice
Croconaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 19th, 2019, 12:44 PM   #19
Adamant
Awesome Poster
 
Adamant's Forum Picture
 
Name: Adam
Join Date: October 17, 2018
Location: London
Gender: Male
Blog Entries: 1
Default Re: Social media and depression and anxiety

Vt is the only social media account i have.
Sometimes it makes me depressed and inadequate but not sure i can blame vt. I reckon thats its issues i have rather than just a social media problem.
Its sometimes nice to be in a space away from real life and that can be a good or bad thing depending on if you actually need to deal with irl things and not ignore them or good if you get stronger by having a chance to think about other things.
I have met some nice kind people here and also been really hurt by someone.
So honestly think its very mixed.
Sometimes thought about leaving but havent so guesz i must think its more good than bad.
Adamant is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:15 AM.


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright©2000 - 2019
Search Engine Optimisation provided by DragonByte SEO (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Copyright © 2004 - 2018, VirtualTeen.org