Virtual Teen Forums

Go Back   Virtual Teen Forums > > >
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read Chat Room

Old April 16th, 2010, 01:16 PM   #1
Tankinx91

Name: Don't worry 'bout it.
Default Anybody else grow up with a bipolar parent?

My mom is bipolar, and was a single parent raising me and my brother. We had some really rough times but it wasn't all bad don't get me wrong, we had our good times too. I just have flashbacks of all the bad shit that happened when i was growing up.

Anybody else here gone through the same thing?

LOUDVILLE!!!
Tankinx91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 16th, 2010, 01:23 PM   #2
Harley Quinn
Puddin'

Harley Quinn's Forum Picture

Name: Siobhan
Default Re: Anybody else grow up with a bipolar parent?

My mum has bipolar. She's been in a mental ward twice and was nearly in one a couple o years ago. She's more of the depressive side, it gets hard but once you've been in the situation for a few you learn to cope with it, and the parent. Shit happens of course, but you deal with it enough to know it's just her bipolar.

Be not afraid of greatness; some are born great, some achieve greatness, and some have greatness thrust upon them.

[Emerald Dream] if I had a 30 minute orgasm, I would probably need to sleep for a week

~Stevennn

*Ali*
Harley Quinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 16th, 2010, 01:29 PM   #3
Tankinx91

Quote:
Originally Posted by Night View Post
My mum has bipolar. She's been in a mental ward twice and was nearly in one a couple o years ago. She's more of the depressive side, it gets hard but once you've been in the situation for a few you learn to cope with it, and the parent. Shit happens of course, but you deal with it enough to know it's just her bipolar.
Just growing up i remember shit from when i was little, it was horrible i didn't know what was happening. My mom would be passed out in her room and forget to pick me up from the bus stop when i was like 6? I'd have to stay with my grandma when she was in and out of the hospital, i use to have to hide her pills in my room so she couldn't try to OD.. She made friends with bad people, and i had to call an ambulance for her on more than one occasion. It was horrible. She's much better now, but the memories just stay with me.

LOUDVILLE!!!
Old April 16th, 2010, 01:35 PM   #4
Harley Quinn
Puddin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tankinx91 View Post
Just growing up i remember shit from when i was little, it was horrible i didn't know what was happening. My mom would be passed out in her room and forget to pick me up from the bus stop when i was like 6? I'd have to stay with my grandma when she was in and out of the hospital, i use to have to hide her pills in my room so she couldn't try to OD.. She made friends with bad people, and i had to call an ambulance for her on more than one occasion. It was horrible. She's much better now, but the memories just stay with me.
Yeah, the memories are really fucked up. What I find is the best thing to is, tall about, write things down, walk, anything that gets you out of your head and out of the comfort zone where it gets rid of all negative thoughts. My mum, she was on olanzipine (sp) her dosages were so messed up they, themselves made her go mental. Literally. The things she does are just..well odd. When she's on her high, it's fun, and when's she low don't get me wrong, she's alright but it can be hard dealing with her. You just have to know when the mood she's in is either good or bad and judge from that if you should back off of talk ect.

Be not afraid of greatness; some are born great, some achieve greatness, and some have greatness thrust upon them.

[Emerald Dream] if I had a 30 minute orgasm, I would probably need to sleep for a week

~Stevennn

*Ali*
Old April 16th, 2010, 01:46 PM   #5
Tankinx91

Yeahh, believe me i've learned to pick my spots with my mom. I know when its okay to try to talk and when i should keep my mouth shut.

They had my mom on seroquel, and i don't know if her dosage was messed up or she just took too many, but she would hallucinate and just say crazy shit that didn't make any sense. She would be shaking and barely able to stand up, i used to have to stay with her and make sure she didn't fall and hurt herself because she was barely able to walk.

I try to get rid of the memories when they come back, usually try to just listen to music, or write. But it's painful to remember seeing my mom like that, ya know?

LOUDVILLE!!!
Old April 16th, 2010, 01:49 PM   #6
Harley Quinn
Puddin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tankinx91 View Post
Yeahh, believe me i've learned to pick my spots with my mom. I know when its okay to try to talk and when i should keep my mouth shut.

They had my mom on seroquel, and i don't know if her dosage was messed up or she just took too many, but she would hallucinate and just say crazy shit that didn't make any sense. She would be shaking and barely able to stand up, i used to have to stay with her and make sure she didn't fall and hurt herself because she was barely able to walk.

I try to get rid of the memories when they come back, usually try to just listen to music, or write. But it's painful to remember seeing my mom like that, ya know?
yeah, I know what you mean, it's tough, of you ever need someone to talk to about it, drop me a pm I'm always around to help.

~Stevennn

*Ali*
Old April 16th, 2010, 01:50 PM   #7
Tankinx91

Quote:
Originally Posted by Night View Post
yeah, I know what you mean, it's tough, of you ever need someone to talk to about it, drop me a pm I'm always around to help.
Thanks.

LOUDVILLE!!!
Old April 16th, 2010, 01:53 PM   #8
Scarface
Retired Administrator

Scarface's Forum Picture

Name: Ronnie

My mum and dad are alcoholic's and drug addict's I think that can be compared to the mood swings and bad memories. I have a few friends with Bi-polar I know It has to be hard

Contact me if you need to talk. I'm always here to help all
you have to do is be honest.

Never Let Go
Act as if it were IMPOSSIBLE to fail.
<3 Mikey
The Need For Speed!

R&G Forever until it turns gray...then it will still thrive
I<3 TheVTStaff
Smart ass #1
Supportive Presence
Scarface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 16th, 2010, 02:00 PM   #9
Tankinx91

Quote:
Originally Posted by bakatdarkcornergenis View Post
My mum and dad are alcoholic's and drug addict's I think that can be compared to the mood swings and bad memories. I have a few friends with Bi-polar I know It has to be hard
I'd imagine that must have been much worse than what i had to go through. I'm sorry about your parents and i hope you stay well.

My brother was diagnosed as bipolar also, so i pretty much grew up in a bipolar house. One thing about my brother though is that he can be a total d*ck sometimes. Just not give a shit and make something big outta nothing ya know?

LOUDVILLE!!!
Old April 16th, 2010, 02:13 PM   #10
Scarface
Retired Administrator

Scarface's Forum Picture

Name: Ronnie

Yeah I know that feeling just good thing my parents are 3000 miles separated. (cali and florida) It was hard because growing up you thought It was normal until you went to a friends house and their parents treated you like a king lol

Contact me if you need to talk. I'm always here to help all
you have to do is be honest.

Never Let Go
Act as if it were IMPOSSIBLE to fail.
<3 Mikey
The Need For Speed!

R&G Forever until it turns gray...then it will still thrive
I<3 TheVTStaff
Smart ass #1
Supportive Presence
Scarface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 16th, 2010, 08:53 PM   #11
cody2010
Member+

cody2010's Forum Picture

Name: Cody

my dad is. he take medication for it though. but when ever he runs out or he forgets to take it. it's hell. but that rarely happends anymore.

i'm cody
cody2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 19th, 2010, 01:12 AM   #12
Zephyr
Retired Administrator

Zephyr's Forum Picture

Name: Steph

It's tough living with a person who has Bipolar Disorder. Neither of my parents have it, but I do. My family went through hell with me: 4 suicide attempts, cutting and burning, hallucinating, paranoia, the switches from mania to extreme anger to depression in a matter of days (I'm a rapid cycler), refusing to take my medication.

It can be just as hard on the family as the person effected by it, and I honestly have to say, all of you guys who have lived with a Bipolar family member and have learned to deal with it are made of pure awesome

So if you care to find me, look to the western sky.
As someone told me lately, everyone deserves a chance to fly.

✯ Alis Volat Propriis ✯
Zephyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 30th, 2010, 04:57 PM   #13
HotJuan

HotJuan's Forum Picture

Name: Da'Juan

I live with my mom and stepfather and my stepdad has bipolar disorder. Like one day he will be in a good mood and the next minute he would be like," I am about to kill these kids." Sometimes i am actually afraid that it might get a little to crazy and he goes through with it. My mom's excuse to these comments is'"Oh he is just having another one of his moments." Does anyone have any ideas on how to deal with or how to avoid these sudden mood swings? I dont mean like stop them cause he is who he is and no one can change that. But i mean like is there away to decrease the frequency?

ILY SILENT!!!!!!
HotJuan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1st, 2010, 05:08 PM   #14
georgiamay
Awesome Poster

georgiamay's Forum Picture

Name: Georgia

my mums bipolar. she didn't even realise she had it, because everyone just got used to her MASSIVE mood swings, and they lasted for weeks... and then i was bored and fucked it all up for her, because she got post natal depression, which made her lows a lot worse. she went on medication for the post natal before being diagnosed with bipolar, so she kept having highs and lows, that lasted for weeks. she started drinking because of it when i was about 6 months, maybe a year old. she doesn't talk about it, but it went on until i was about 8, so i do have quite a lot of memories from it. i know that she drank when she was on a high, so she would get even higher when she got drunk, and then would drink when she was on a low, to drown out the pain.

i remember the time she drove me to school, in a car for gods sake, and she stopped off a petrol station and bought a fifth of vodka. she downed the whole thing, and continued to drive with me sitting next to her when i was 6. i have no idea if she was on a high or a low that day, but wither way she was bound to do something stupid like that.

she tried to kill herself after a few years, and then was diagnosed with bipolar. she's stable now, and doesn't drink, but i have occasionally looked in her room and found an empty or full bottle bottle of vodka. i only see her once a week, and she was always good at hiding her drinking, so she might not drink for ONE night. i really wouldn't be surprised.

but to sum up, having a bipolar parent sucks. plus, it's been proven that it could be genetic, and my nan, had the same problem. :/

Last edited by georgiamay; May 1st, 2010 at 05:12 PM. Reason: spelling :/
georgiamay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12th, 2010, 05:51 AM   #15
CantBeTamed
Banned

Name: If You Wanna Know Ask Me

My Mom Is And When She Doesnt Take Her Meds For It Its Not A Pretty Picture I Love My Mom To Death But Shes Not Sane Without Her Meds For It And The Scary Thing Is Its Genetic And My Sister And Friends Who Know My Mom Say They See Signs Of It In Me Even I See Them Though Ive Just Been Putting Off Going To The Doctor For This I Hate Doctors
CantBeTamed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12th, 2010, 11:40 AM   #16
Asylum
Banned

Name: Songl

no but i have a bipolar uncle who is in and out of the mental hospital near me, and i think now he is currently homeless
Asylum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 12th, 2010, 12:32 AM   #17
Syvelocin
Ocean Soul

Syvelocin's Forum Picture

Name: Rith

My mom gave me bipolar disorder. She's bipolar II and I'm bipolar I. It's hard, I have watched her cry a number of times and it breaks your heart. We push each other's buttons all the time, so it always ends with both of us upset. She was suicidal as a kid and never wanted her children to grow up like she did, the horrible thing is that she got just that

And I'm sorry I didn't build your walls. And I'm sorry I had to go and fall.
And I'm sorry I had the whole thing wrong. Well, I guess I'm the sorriest of all.
And I'm sorry that you are feeling small. And I'm sorry that I'm not used to crawling.
And I'm sorry the writing's on the wall. Well, I guess I'm the sorriest of all.
Syvelocin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 9th, 2010, 05:55 PM   #18
Dog Desab
Nice Poster

Dog Desab's Forum Picture

Name: Jack

my mom is bipolar and OCD and its hell usually i stay out of her but i cant live to the perfection she demands... In fact the only time shes in a good mood is when shes drinking. If i make a mistake she tends to just tell me im a failure and wont amount to anything. I stay at my cousins quite alot though to be away... also she is only nice when company is over, so i get my friends to come over or stay at their house... ive run away a couple of times the 1st time i had got caught by the police, second time i slept in a empty building woke up in the middle of night called her and told her how i felt and she got help so its better, occasionally she will rant but flipout or something... but i try to steer clear... she means well but im not perfect and neither is she which is what she learned so its better but sometimes i just wish to be in a different person....

The name's Jack.
Quote:
Originally Posted by deadpie
Yes, somewhere in your heart hides a darkness wanting to be unlocked. Most of us won't unlock it, but some people do.
Dog Desab is offline   Reply With Quote