Go Back   Virtual Teen Forums > > >
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read Chat Room

Old March 4th, 2010, 05:07 PM   #1
screamtobeheard
Great Poster

screamtobeheard's Forum Picture

Name: Amanda
Question Just a question.

I just have a question about OCD. Is it possible for you to have it but not have your...symptoms, i guess they are all involving the same area?

For instance, when I walk up or down steps, I have to start and end with my left foot. I will skip a step or take the steps again if I have to. But then I do things like obsessively tap the screen of my cell phone in the top left corner with my left hand. And yesterday I threw a piece of trash into the "wrong" part of the trash can and I had to hunt down more trash twice so I could get it in the "right" area before I could leave.

I have all kinds of random little quirks like that, (although I have never actually been diagnosed with OCD) and I was just wondering if OCD could work like that.
screamtobeheard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 4th, 2010, 05:17 PM   #2
Mr. Smithers
Banned

Name: August
Default Re: Just a question.

Those are possible symptoms.

Symptoms usually are repetitiveness. Having to do things more than once.

Another one is also having to do things a certain way like you mentioned.

You could have those symptoms and not necessarily have OCD.

If you still have problems, you need to talk to a psychologist. I can't diagnose you myself.
Mr. Smithers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 4th, 2010, 05:23 PM   #3
screamtobeheard
Great Poster

Alright I was just curious about if it was possible. I understand that only a professional can make a diagnosis.
Old March 4th, 2010, 05:39 PM   #4
INFERNO
Awesome Poster

INFERNO's Forum Picture

For OCD, there are obsessions and compulsions. The compulsions are obviously the behaviors done, such as the repetitions, which may be what you're showing. There also are the obsessions, which are the mental driving forces for why you have to continue doing the activity and if you don't, something awful will happen to you or someone else. These are unwanted by the person so you don't find people often with OCD who do the behaviors but have little anxiety about not doing them, such as washing hands each time you touch an object. In this case, if the person is "germaphobic", then it is likely to be OCD but if they have an immunosuppressive disorder, they may simply be cautious. So you need to see if you have the obsessions and the best way is via a doctor.

"That is my ambition, to have killed more people, more helpless people, than any man or woman who has ever lived." - Jane Toppan

"There's a pot of gold at the end of the rainbow, it's just a son of a bitch getting there" - Sully Erna of Godsmack
INFERNO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 4th, 2010, 05:49 PM   #5
screamtobeheard
Great Poster

Ohhh that makes sense. Thanks. (:
Old March 7th, 2010, 10:31 AM   #6
BeautifulDisaster
Nice Poster

BeautifulDisaster's Forum Picture

There are actually two types of OCD, not just obsessions & compulsions, but also Pure O, where it's just the obsessions.

It's possible these are symptoms of OCD, but you'd need to see a professional about it, we can't say if it is or isn't OCD.

"Imperfection is beauty, madness is genius, and it's better to be absolutely ridiculous than absolutely boring."

In a world where you can be anything, be yourself.
BeautifulDisaster is offline   Reply With Quote