Virtual Teen Forums

Go Back   Virtual Teen Forums > General Discussions > Ramblings of the Wise
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read Chat Room [6]

Old January 4th, 2010, 03:25 PM   #1
woody92
Great Poster

woody92's Forum Picture

Name: Ryan
Question Should students be given more or less homework?

Should students be given more or less homeworktasks to complete outside of school? Or are such tasks pointless?

I think that homework shouldnt be cut down, and, no, I dont think that they are pointless.

What are your veiws?

I'M NOT STRAIGHT AND Proud OF IT!

Yes im cabin crew (Flight attendant)

woody92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 4th, 2010, 03:34 PM   #2
Arrowban
Aeternus

Arrowban's Forum Picture

Name: Adam
Default Re: Should students be given more or less homework?

I think the whole homework system is broken in my school. It varies between schools. In some classes there is paper homework and in others it is completely laptops. It is terrible because then you are in a mix of both. You are trying to remember what to do for about 5 classes. Like today I have to do a powerpoint for Science and then due in two days I have to hand in a 10 page short story I have to write for E.L.A (English Language Arts).

So my view is it should be cut down. Plus. I know almost all of the curriculum but I get so much homework and such variations between it that I can't balance it out. It is terrible.

"Waste no more time arguing about what a good man should be. Be one."
Arrowban is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 4th, 2010, 04:06 PM   #3
Perseus
Vae Victis

Perseus's Forum Picture

Name: Jake

The amount of homework I had last semester was just fine and reasonable. I don't think it should be changed unless you're overwhelmed to the fact that you have no life, basically.
Perseus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 4th, 2010, 05:11 PM   #4
Sage
Banned

Name: Sage

Less but more thought-provoking homework.
Sage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 4th, 2010, 11:57 PM   #5
Dakota
Resident Furry&Mutt

Dakota's Forum Picture

Name: Matty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deschain View Post
New assignment students! Go to Virtual Teen Forums and read ALL of the posts by this individual.

Back on topic, no it shouldn't be cut down. Homework isn't a really BAD thing. Really, it's just a way to reenforce what you already know so that you can fully understand it. I'm not saying it should be increased, but I think it's good where it is. However, this is coming from a homeschooled student. It comes differently from a child going to a public school. But it does varry between states and countries on how much homework is given to students.

In conclusion, I say that it varries. One school can have different homework regulations than the school less than five miles from it. If the homework is too much, lessen it. If it gets too less, then increase it. But don't overtly reduce or increase.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brighter.Tomorrow View Post
Hello again VirtualTeen. you blackhole.

God wants widows
God wants solutions
God wants TV
God wants contributions
Last.FM | Tumblr | Livestream Thread
Dakota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 5th, 2010, 12:07 AM   #6
AllThatIsLeft
Femme Fatale

AllThatIsLeft's Forum Picture

Name: Paula

How I see it, there should be the same amount of work, but more IN-CLASS time to do it. I know for a fact when I was in school, i did not care about school after I got off it. But while I was at work, and they gave me a reasonably tight deadline, I would work my ass off.
Also, math homework? That shit is homicidal, there has to be a better way to have that same amount of work, but not so painfully accomplished

The X-Rated Secrets
The Kitten Has Claws

~Laura was here~
AllThatIsLeft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 5th, 2010, 12:12 AM   #7
2D
Banned

I believe that whole public school system needs to be re-thought. It's just a mess.
2D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 5th, 2010, 09:49 AM   #8
Triceratops
VT Lover

Triceratops's Forum Picture

The appropriate amount of homework should be set, in accordance to the student's topic of studies and target grades.

"I can't judge any of you. I have no malice against you and no ribbons for you. But I think that it is high time that you all start looking at yourselves, and judging the lie that you live in." ~ Charles Manson

P.S. I never read PM's or respond to friend requests because laziness.
Triceratops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 5th, 2010, 10:10 AM   #9
Atonement
Daily Adventurer

Atonement's Forum Picture

Name: Addison

I think it depends on the teacher and their style of teaching. I have a government teacher who gives tons of pointless homework that takes forever. It is a waste of time and teaches us nothing but make us busy. Busy-work. Ugh.

On the other hand, there is a US history teacher who gives the appropriate amount. We always learn something, and we rarely waste our time on things that won't be tested or checked. I like homework that isn't checked because it doesn't have to be perfect, but they give us the correct answers if we have it complete, and we learn from our mistakes. If we don't have it done, no harm, no foul, you just don't get the material. Which means you teach yourself and if you fuck up, its your fault.

All you need is love.
Atonement is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 5th, 2010, 06:52 PM   #10
Aspiringanonymous
Awesome Poster

This semester, I encountered the greatest blessing of a teacher that the high school system could ever have.

In his classes, all homework - and even attendance - is viewed as optional. Students could get up in the middle of a lecture, pack everything and dismiss themselves without being penalized. Our course grade comes from tests and exams only; no homework checks, pop quizzes, lengthy pointless assignments or any of that. The only classes you are required to attend are exam sessions, he says, and do as much homework as you feel is necessary to prepare yourself, but I could care less whether or not you do a single question. If I see that your work habits are significantly lacking, and your test scores are reflective of that, I have a right to kick you out - you won't be able to survive in university anyway.

A couple of times, for the pure sake of curiosity and a reason to poke fun at us, he walked around the room and asked to check everyone's homework, claiming that out of thirty students, seven at most had it complete. And he was correct. Not surprisingly, the seven highest-scorers in the class.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deschain
Quote:
Originally Posted by Motormouth
I believe that whole public school system needs to be re-thought. It's just a mess.
Agreed.
Aspiringanonymous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 5th, 2010, 07:15 PM   #11
Zanra

Zanra's Forum Picture

Theyshoul be given less homework, but more activities in class. I'm not saying class work but interactive activities. It is prooven that students learn better when doing group or class activities
Zanra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 5th, 2010, 07:20 PM   #12
deadpie
Dadaistic Schizoid

deadpie's Forum Picture

Name: Damien Ark / Tim

I don't have homework at my new school. At my old school the homework wasn't what bothered me, it was those goddamn pop quizzes with fill in the blank questions.

deadpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 5th, 2010, 11:01 PM   #13
INFERNO
Awesome Poster

INFERNO's Forum Picture

I think the homework system should be revised because there's such as discrepancy between courses. In high-school, our teacher for biology and chemistry (same teacher) gave us shitloads but the teacher for math wouldn't give anywhere near as much. I don't think homework is pointless and I do think that one should be given work to do outside of class. You can have work to do inside class but then also have homework. The problem though is sometimes it just comes down to the quantity of work and less of the quality, which is not that great. The teacher for math wouldn't give us as much but he'd give us more though-provoking ones whereas the teacher for chemistry and biology would give some though-provoking but a lot of it was just fluffy content.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam View Post
You are trying to remember what to do for about 5 classes. Like today I have to do a powerpoint for Science and then due in two days I have to hand in a 10 page short story I have to write for E.L.A (English Language Arts).
That's not the fault of the homework system, that's your own fault. Get an agenda and simply mark the stuff down. If you don't take the initiative to write the stuff down and organize your time, that's your fault, not the fault of the school and homework system.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pandora.
The appropriate amount of homework should be set, in accordance to the student's topic of studies and target grades.
I'm not entirely sure what you mean by the bolded part. Are you saying that if the student wants, say, an A then they get 40 questions while the next student wants just a B gets 30 questions? I don't think the teacher should cater to the grades the students want. I agree with giving a set amount of homework for each topic or course but the bolded part then seems to just throw that entire idea off.

"That is my ambition, to have killed more people, more helpless people, than any man or woman who has ever lived." - Jane Toppan

"There's a pot of gold at the end of the rainbow, it's just a son of a bitch getting there" - Sully Erna of Godsmack
INFERNO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 5th, 2010, 11:29 PM   #14
Mr. Smithers
Banned

Name: August

It wasn't until I got to college where homework just became really annoying. But I guess if it weren't for homework or studying you probably wouldn't pass the class. But less homework is alright. Nobody that I know likes to study all the time.
Mr. Smithers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 11th, 2010, 12:54 PM   #15
CairAndros
Member+

CairAndros's Forum Picture

Name: Craig

I personally think it depends on the level of course you are doing. For example I am in the second last year of secondary education in Scotland and the courses im doing are one level below first year of uni difficulty. So the homework we get is proportionate to that difficulty. Or it should be issued with regard to how you are doing with the current part of the course, i.e. if you are struggling more homework for you but if you are doing well then less homework.

Hey, 18yr old Scottish guy here. Always happy to talk/help if anyone has any problems

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matty1 View Post
In my opinion, sausages should be given voting rights, I have no evidence to back up my claim but because its my opinion, David Cameron is set to announce that all sausages will given voting rights!
CairAndros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 11th, 2010, 02:59 PM   #16
Triceratops
VT Lover

Triceratops's Forum Picture

Quote:
Originally Posted by INFERNO View Post
I'm not entirely sure what you mean by the bolded part. Are you saying that if the student wants, say, an A then they get 40 questions while the next student wants just a B gets 30 questions? I don't think the teacher should cater to the grades the students want. I agree with giving a set amount of homework for each topic or course but the bolded part then seems to just throw that entire idea off.
The majority of what I meant was that the higher ability the student is, the more difficult the homework should be. However, coming to think of it, I don't believe an F grade student should be aiming to do the same amount of work as an A grade student would be doing, in order to achieve their target grade - or possibly higher.

"I can't judge any of you. I have no malice against you and no ribbons for you. But I think that it is high time that you all start looking at yourselves, and judging the lie that you live in." ~ Charles Manson

P.S. I never read PM's or respond to friend requests because laziness.
Triceratops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 11th, 2010, 03:31 PM   #17
TigerLily
Awesome Poster

TigerLily's Forum Picture

Name: Rachel

My school is ridiculous.
There's a homework timetable thing, which dictates that you get 3 pieces of homework 3 days a week and 4 pieces 2 days a week, and each piece should take half and hour. So its like, 2 hours + a night basically, if you don't want it to be completely awful.
It's just a joke. But then again my school's private uber academically-obsessed, so it's not an accurate reflection. It cuts down on so much of my time though, when I have shitloads of other stuff to do, and I often end up staying up til ridiculous hours just to get it done =/
And if you don't hand it in on the due day its a detention, repeated 'offences' are a suspencion.. so it's not exactly avoidable either.
Grr >.<
TigerLily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 11th, 2010, 08:38 PM   #18
JackOfClubs
VT Lover

JackOfClubs's Forum Picture

Name: Jack

I actually don't think that my school gives too much homework. Except for today and tomorrow. I have a PowerPoint, Spanish story, and questions on Julius Caesar due on Wednesday.

Anyway, I think people should be given homework based on how they receive the information in class day, what level (A, Regular, Accelerated, AP, etc) class they are in, and how they behave in class.

Jack
Quote:
Life is like a box of chocolates, you never know what you're gonna get. ~~Forest Gump
JackOfClubs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 12th, 2010, 03:57 AM   #19
Zephyr
Retired Administrator

Zephyr's Forum Picture

Name: Steph

I'm a fan of in-class activities and labs. People do learn more when they're working on something together because everybody has something to contribute, for the most part. My Physics instructor last year brought up a good point though: Groups of 3 work the best. When you have anymore than 3, chances are that the fourth person will do little to nothing and the group will have to carry them through the term.

When it comes to homework, it's pretty minimal because we're a commuter college, and some people seriously travel as much as 100 miles a day just to come to class. The system I described above is pretty standard for most courses taken at my college.

My personal take on homework though: I'm not a fan of it unless it's for classes like math or physical science where you actually need to practice it. Otherwise you're just wasting ink and paper where an in-class activity could have been done instead to make sure that everybody comprehended the material.

So if you care to find me, look to the western sky.
As someone told me lately, everyone deserves a chance to fly.

✯ Alis Volat Propriis ✯
Zephyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 12th, 2010, 05:19 PM   #20
Tiberius
Awesome Poster

Tiberius's Forum Picture

Name: Tiberius

My view on homework in the New York public education system is this; homework is about 90-95% of the time a complete waste of time and resources. If the teacher can't instruct students in class time so that they at least grasp/understand the concept a class or two, then they shouldn't be teaching.

Advocates of homework say that it effectively tutors a student in the topic and helps them practice it outside of school. However, I think that it's a bunch of shit, a student who doesn't get the concept in an hour of teaching won't exactly understand homework on it and ends up wasting hours of time trying to do it.

It shouldn't be the schools prerogative to force students to help themselves by studying outside of class. What they should be doing is getting better teachers and doing a better job teaching students in class and encouraging them to stay after school to get any extra help or study time that they otherwise couldn't get. It's the students prerogative to get the need help they need, the school shouldn't be forcing them to get it.

Vestri Pessimus Nocturna Suppressio
~Laura was here~
Tiberius is offline   Reply With Quote