Virtual Teen Forums

Go Back   Virtual Teen Forums > >
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read Chat Room

Closed Thread

Old July 22nd, 2009, 01:18 AM   #1
Agent
Member+

Default Aspergers syndrome

So, I read up some stuff about Aspergers and some of the symptoms match me, except that I do well in school, I can "read between the lines" and I dont have problems in social situations. The symptoms that fit me are repetitive rituals or routines, word repetition, few facial expressions, being "in my own world", intense focus on one or two subjects, lack of empathy, very hard to remember phone numbers, being like an "entertainer" in school or so(I tell a lot of jokes and stuff) and bursting out laughing while being "on my own world".

So, what do you think?
Old July 22nd, 2009, 08:10 AM   #2
Hyper
VT Lover

Default Re: Aspergers syndrome

We can't diagnose you and anybody with any knowledge on the subject wont even try to guess

Aspergers has a ton of symptoms that pretty much everybody can have a few or even a couple.

If your really worried go to a professional ^^

I'm tough, rough, ready and able
To pick myself up from under this table
Don't stick no sign on me, I got no label
I'm a little sick, unsure, unsound and unstable

But I'm fighting my way back
Old July 22nd, 2009, 09:12 AM   #3
Triceratops
VT Lover

Only a professional diagnosis can determine whether you have such a condition like Asperger's.

Some people have similar traits and behaviours to others with the condition. Ranging from lack of social skills, overstimulation by certain noises or lights, learning difficulties or exceptional qualities, obsessions with a certain topic or object, peculiar habits, expressions and rituals. These may sound quite typical but they can often be misunderstood with Asperger's/Autism, depending on the person. So many of the traits and symptoms can be extremely widespread across many people without the condition itself.

It sounds to me that you may want to consult a GP, if you're concerned. You will only ever find out if you seek further advice and information from a professional.

"I can't judge any of you. I have no malice against you and no ribbons for you. But I think that it is high time that you all start looking at yourselves, and judging the lie that you live in." ~ Charles Manson
Old July 22nd, 2009, 07:37 PM   #4
Camazotz
Seor Waddles

Camazotz's Forum Picture

Name: Matt

I'm in no position to give you medical advice, but in my opinion, there is that there's no such thing as Asperger's. It is a made up disease commonly used for people lack empathy towards people. Most of the symptoms fit a lot of people, especially on the internet. This doesn't mean you have this particular disease. I don't see a threat towards your health because even if Asperger's is real, there's no way to diagnose it or treat it. In my opinion, Asperger's is a personality, not a disease. But if you're worried, see a doctor.

Ѐņ ߀خ Ί∩خ
~Laura was here~
Old July 22nd, 2009, 10:26 PM   #5
JacobHerrington
Junior Member+

JacobHerrington's Forum Picture

Default Re: Apergers syndrome

i myself have been diagnosed with aspbergers syndrome.
but i was diagonosed at a young age.
its hard to diagnose wen ur older.
but the main way u can tell is if ur socially akward.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agent View Post
So, I read up some stuff about Aspergers and some of the symptoms match me, except that I do well in school, I can "read between the lines" and I dont have problems in social situations. The symptoms that fit me are repetitive rituals or routines, word repetition, few facial expressions, being "in my own world", intense focus on one or two subjects, lack of empathy, very hard to remember phone numbers, being like an "entertainer" in school or so(I tell a lot of jokes and stuff) and bursting out laughing while being "on my own world".

So, what do you think?
most of that fits me too and as i siad above i am diagnosed with asbergers syndrome.
so u probly have it.

"If you can find a lover, you'll be happy.
If not, you become a philospher".

Last edited by Triceratops; July 23rd, 2009 at 02:15 AM. Reason: Double post
Old July 27th, 2009, 07:24 PM   #6
ShatteredWings
Under the Stars

ShatteredWings's Forum Picture

Name: Kyle

Hun you need to relax. not everyone is overly social, that doesn't mean you're austistic.
odd, sure.. if you're really worried get a psych. eval.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sapphire_Flames View Post
VT turned me lesbo acid wankers wtf.
~Laura Was Here~
Retired Gmod
Old July 27th, 2009, 09:24 PM   #7
The Joker
VT Lover

The Joker's Forum Picture

Name: Matt

My brother has it. You don't seem to have it, at least in my perspective.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perseus View Post
I'm about to assassinate Gandhi.
Old July 28th, 2009, 03:14 PM   #8
MadManWithaBox
Banned

Name: The Doctor.

i have it, and from what you've said, doesn't sound you've got it. it may just be you don't enjoy other peoples company, and prefer to be alone. thats perfectly normal
Old September 28th, 2009, 02:29 AM   #9
Jean Poutine
Awesome Poster

Jean Poutine's Forum Picture

Name: Tony

I have PDD-NOS. That's "pervasive developmental disorder - not otherwise specified". Long term to say they can't fit me in any one traditional label. I normally just say "Asperger's Syndrome" because that was the first diagnosis and it's shorter.

First of all...

I remember phone numbers extremely well, thank you. As part of my diagnosis, I took a memory test. I also do very well in school. Frankly, hearing the same stereotypes over and over becomes a little boring. I mean, the "idiot savant" kind of stuff.

You know why Camazotz has such an opinion of the condition? It's because he's mostly right. People go read maybe half the article on Asperger's Syndrome on wikipedia, decide they have it because they desesperately want to be an unique snowflake (being unique is a common fix to social skills problems), then boast about it.

Asperger's Syndrome, being, on the surface, a large diagnosis, is often abused by people who may fit the social skills stuff, not realising that PDDs are delibitating conditions that scar someone for life and have far reaching complications. For example, unusual eating behaviors (I've seen some of my...compatriots accept to eat fast food and absolutely nothing else), sensory quirks, all sorts of sleeping problems, a telltale gait, etc. I know this, because I live it, and also because I hold a diagnosis that entitles me, for example, to recieve adapted services from my college. PDDs are not big, fat jokes to be used as a badge of distinction then tossed away at the convenience of the "sufferer".

I'm sorry if I am not sugarcoating my words or if I'm being harsh. I'm simply tired of seeing my condition being turned into ridicule. For those actually living it, it's not a label most of us are proud to wear, I can assure you (aside from the "neuroatypical" goons running around of course).

Sorry for the spiel.

BTW : you make jokes and people laugh? Sorry, you don't have Asperger's Syndrome.

Jean Poutine, LL.B.

Last edited by Jean Poutine; September 28th, 2009 at 02:39 AM.
Old September 28th, 2009, 02:39 PM   #10
Kaleidoscope Eyes
VT Lover

Kaleidoscope Eyes's Forum Picture

Name: Jessi

Please don't bump old threads.

Jessi the Gweat and Tewwible
Do not offend the chair leg of truth. It is wise and terrible.

~Laura was here~
Closed Thread