Virtual Teen Forums

Go Back   Virtual Teen Forums > > >
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read Chat Room

Old January 10th, 2009, 05:45 PM   #1
AlexTheStar

AlexTheStar's Forum Picture

Default Help me with my ADHD

Well I was diagnosed with ADHD when I was in kindergarten. I am 13 now and I take medication, and see a Psychiatrist so I can talk about my problems etc.. I just want to know why some times I have the urge to just eat then sometimes I am not hungry and if I will ever grow out of ADHD.
AlexTheStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 10th, 2009, 05:58 PM   #2
IAMSAM
Legendary Member

Name: Sam!
Default Re: Help me with my ADHD

hi Alex! I'm Sam, and i get along really well with self described 'Stars', so you're in good hands here!

ADHD is something that most grow out of, usually by the time they're in their twenties. The brain continues to grow and develop until then, so the part that causes ADHD matures, and typically is OK by then.

A side effect of the meds you're on is changes in appetite, so that's why sometimes you might feel like eating, and other times, not. It's probably a good idea to try to eat at those times, anyway, b/c it's not really your body telling you it doesn't need food, it's the side effect of the meds 'tricking' you into thinking/feeling this, and growing guys need proper nutrition, so eat anyway!
IAMSAM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 10th, 2009, 06:00 PM   #3
AlexTheStar

Quote:
Originally Posted by IAMSAM View Post
hi Alex! I'm Sam, and i get along really well with self described 'Stars', so you're in good hands here!

ADHD is something that most grow out of, usually by the time they're in their twenties. The brain continues to grow and develop until then, so the part that causes ADHD matures, and typically is OK by then.

A side effect of the meds you're on is changes in appetite, so that's why sometimes you might feel like eating, and other times, not. It's probably a good idea to try to eat at those times, anyway, b/c it's not really your body telling you it doesn't need food, it's the side effect of the meds 'tricking' you into thinking/feeling this, and growing guys need proper nutrition, so eat anyway!
Thanks for the information I know my cousin had ADHD and when he hit about 20 he went off his pills and gained a lot of weight and I am afraid of that happening to me.
Old January 10th, 2009, 06:05 PM   #4
IAMSAM
Legendary Member

Name: Sam!

Well, everyone's different, Alex. the good news, is that your cousin going off the meds means he outgrew the ADHD. There are a lot of reasons why people gain weight, the meds are doubtfully the only reason.

if you're worried about eventually gaining the weight, you might make sure you're eating properly, and exercising enough. A healthy lifestyle is a better predictor of adult weight than the side effect of a medication.
IAMSAM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 10th, 2009, 06:07 PM   #5
AlexTheStar

Quote:
Originally Posted by IAMSAM View Post
Well, everyone's different, Alex. the good news, is that your cousin going off the meds means he outgrew the ADHD. There are a lot of reasons why people gain weight, the meds are doubtfully the only reason.

if you're worried about eventually gaining the weight, you might make sure you're eating properly, and exercising enough. A healthy lifestyle is a better predictor of adult weight than the side effect of a medication.
Thank you for the help! I will post if I have any more questions
Old May 23rd, 2009, 10:22 PM   #6
ThUnDeR
Nice Poster

ThUnDeR's Forum Picture

Name: Matt

im 14 and have adhd too
i also feel like i wanna eat all the time even when im not hungry
i take meds also
i dont think you can grow out of adhd
if i were you i would be happy that you have adhd
i mean you can get away with things what kids who arent hyperactive cant

Meteorology Undergrad, 2017

"The lord of the sad and lonely"
ThUnDeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 13th, 2009, 02:12 PM   #7
Desy

Desy's Forum Picture

Name: Jordan

I'm not sure which one I was diagnosed with, but, when I was around the age of 8 I quit taking the meds. I found ways to control myself by listening to music, or occupying myself with other things such as.. music. Just try to control yourself by occupying yourself with things that you enjoy or love. That's mainly what I resulted to, and i'm quite serene now. I believe I had ADD, but whatever. It works.

People today don't believe that I have it, but it's still very clear. Just 2 weeks ago I was distracted on a Final Math Exam. I couldn't focus or anything. Whether it was Test Axiety or ADD I will never know. I can't tell the difference, but I know for sure I was not able to focus on doing the task at hand.

Anyway, my advice to you is that you need to try to focus, while having things you love rolling through your mind. (:
Desy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 13th, 2009, 03:05 PM   #8
Charleigh
Awesome Poster

Charleigh's Forum Picture

Name: Charleigh

hi i have adhd too =] ive had it since iwas 2 yrs old, i get the exact same way =] dont be worrie dor anything, yeah u can grw out of adhd, as i know its sometimes really embaressing lol
Charleigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 21st, 2009, 06:48 PM   #9
MickyT
Banned

Name: Micky

Wow, I'm filled with joy and a sense of solidarity to find so many people with the Alveolar hydatid disease that I myself have on these forums. I wasn't aware AHD was so prevalent! I found that early in the incubation period I had the most problems with eating and maintaining a stable weight. Thank you all for providing this thread, I've not been able to find an apropriate locale to discuss my parasitic condition anywhere else on the internet so far, so thank you all you sufferers who have posted before me. =)
MickyT is offline   Reply With Quote