Old July 12th, 2009, 09:48 PM   #101
AllThatIsLeft
Femme Fatale

AllThatIsLeft's Forum Picture

Name: Paula
Default Re: Pictures of Alcohol/Cigarette/Drug Use

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mars View Post
To Paula, their parents choose if they can see that movie. On here, thats not really...true.
come on John, you know that's poor statement.
i see kids 10 year olds watching R rated movies.
a picture doesnt compare to a movie at all.

The X-Rated Secrets
The Kitten Has Claws

~Laura was here~
AllThatIsLeft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 12th, 2009, 09:51 PM   #102
Mzor203
VT Lover

Name: Rex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sapphire View Post
I've had a number of other addictions and one of my friends was in fact an alcoholic so I know a thing or two about addictions, thank you Rex.
Then you should know that, though self-harm is a particularly nasty addiction, it's not different in this respect to other addictions. Maybe on a case-by-case basis, but so would the same be said for other addictions, on a case-by-case basis.
Mzor203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 12th, 2009, 09:52 PM   #103
AllThatIsLeft
Femme Fatale

AllThatIsLeft's Forum Picture

Name: Paula

well Rex maybe it isnt. and she would know better than you.

The X-Rated Secrets
The Kitten Has Claws

~Laura was here~
AllThatIsLeft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 12th, 2009, 09:55 PM   #104
Tiberius
Awesome Poster

Tiberius's Forum Picture

Name: Tiberius

I still don't understand that if we have established the fact that promoting the usage of drugs, and that includes pictures of smoking, drinking etc. , then why are we still arguing about it? I mean, sure there comes a point when sometimes there is too much and/or too little censorship of the above-mentioned topics, but Steph, Ant and most of the of the staff, from what I can see, seem to be in concurrence that the policy is still applicable. Jared, I completely agree with you and think that you have a phenomenal idea and that things have been a little menial when it comes to the pertinence of the application of the rules on this subject. I think the "cool" factor comes into play when seeing a picture of a person that a teen might look up to committing illegal acts and then consign their fate to alcohol and/or drugs. Sure, this possibility is one that can be contested but it is a tried and true theory because teens, by nature, are so impressionable . Now, I'm going to stop before I touch upon too many things, but you all know where my opinion(s) stand.

Vestri Pessimus Nocturna Suppressio
~Laura was here~
Tiberius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 12th, 2009, 10:01 PM   #105
Sapphire
Tears & Smiles

Sapphire's Forum Picture

My statement about photos of smoking not triggering stands.
Alcoholism may be case-by-case but I have seen an alcoholic recover first hand without being triggered by a simple photo of someone else drinking.

Out of my addictions, only one is affected by photos - and that would be the self harm.

Either way, I stand by this:
Quote:
Photos of people who have drinking with the beverages shown in the photo are not very frequent to my knowledge. So if we have an alcoholic on here then they are hardly likely to run into one on the public forums.

Photo albums are places to tread carefully anyway because you have no idea what the member has uploaded in there and some people are sensitive to things they don't like seeing that aren't actually against the rules.

Also, as I said before, there are films that are suitable for 8 year old children that contain drinking and smoking in them. Do we really want to reduce this site (which is for over 13's) to a level below these films?

~ The journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step ~

* Nothing in the world has ever been accomplished without passion *
Sapphire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 12th, 2009, 10:12 PM   #106
Antares
Legendary Member+Mod

Antares's Forum Picture

Well people keep saying that these photos are rare. I don't think they are as rare as they seem.

I mean, would people really be bothered if we did ban them. Do any of you people that do drink smoke etc. actually feel...infringed if we banned it eventhough you don't post them...it seems like the only people that would care are the people that post them and I don't think anyone has responded.

To Paula, maybe we should give our site a rating. PG-13. Parental Guidence probably is needed with the exchanges that occur here. lol hehe

To Chris, I can't remember exactly what staff members posted but I think the admins were the only two that were actually against it. But I can't remember which other mods replied.

~Laura was here~
Antares is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 12th, 2009, 10:17 PM   #107
Tiberius
Awesome Poster

Tiberius's Forum Picture

Name: Tiberius

John, I've seen that you, Bobby, and Addie have all posted things similar stating that you think that it should be banned. And to address your second paragraph, I as a person who occasionally will smoke some pot or something(yes, shocking) think that it's perfectly okay that it be banned, it's not like it's a big deal anyways.

Vestri Pessimus Nocturna Suppressio
~Laura was here~
Tiberius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 12th, 2009, 10:23 PM   #108
Sapphire
Tears & Smiles

Sapphire's Forum Picture

Quote:
Well people keep saying that these photos are rare. I don't think they are as rare as they seem.

I mean, would people really be bothered if we did ban them. Do any of you people that do drink smoke etc. actually feel...infringed if we banned it eventhough you don't post them...it seems like the only people that would care are the people that post them and I don't think anyone has responded.
I would care because it is a patronising rule with a weak rationale behind it.
Why should I be restricted with regards to photos of me drinking when I am legal to drink in pubs?
Teenagers are allowed a single alcoholic drink (beer, wine or cider) with a meal in a restaurant/pub from the age of 16 here in the UK anyway.
So by restricting these photos a larger proportion of our member-base will be affected even when they are legally allowed to be drinking.

Also, you were saying in the thread Jared created that we are over-moderated. How can you say that and then come here and sincerely argue for yet another rule?
Make up your mind as to whether you want more or less rules!

Old July 12th, 2009, 10:30 PM   #109
Antares
Legendary Member+Mod

Antares's Forum Picture

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sapphire View Post
I would care because it is a patronising rule with a weak rationale behind it.
Why should I be restricted with regards to photos of me drinking when I am legal to drink in pubs?
Teenagers are allowed a single alcoholic drink (beer, wine or cider) with a meal in a restaurant/pub from the age of 16 here in the UK anyway.
So by restricting these photos a larger proportion of our member-base will be affected even when they are legally allowed to be drinking.

Also, you were saying in the thread Jared created that we are over-moderated. How can you say that and then come here and sincerely argue for yet another rule?
Make up your mind as to whether you want more or less rules!
Whoa whoa, ok. It seems like again you are putting words in peoples mouth. I never said that I thought the forums are over-moderated. All I simply did was gave out a figure. So please don't do that because it's annoying.

In regards to the top part, why would you want to subject young kids to these pictures anyways? Okay, so it's allowed for certain people but why would you want to share these pictures when you know that it may affect certain people

~Laura was here~
Antares is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 12th, 2009, 10:40 PM   #110
Sapphire
Tears & Smiles

Sapphire's Forum Picture

Quote:
in response to Jared's claim about over-moderation, there is some truth to it. In fact, about...40-45 percent of people responded to that survey I made a couple months ago, and said the forums were over-moderated.
I got the impression from this that you were in agreement with it especially as it felt that the stats were secondary to the statement "there is some truth to it". But I guess it's my bad for misinterpreting.

Quote:
In regards to the top part, why would you want to subject young kids to these pictures anyways? Okay, so it's allowed for certain people but why would you want to share these pictures when you know that it may affect certain people
Young kids are exposed to them anyway so having them on here isn't doing them any great injustice. Especially when they see a lot worse on the TV and in films.