Go Back   Virtual Teen Forums > > >
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read Chat Room

Old May 16th, 2009, 08:17 PM   #1
Blue63
Member++

Blue63's Forum Picture

Name: Matt
Thumbs down Anxiety

Well I wasn't quite sure where to post this, so if there is a better spot please move it.

Anyway, all my life, and I guess more recently as I move through my teen years I have always had a lot of anxiety, in kindergarten I would scream when my mom left me because I thought she would die (embarrassing fact #1) Luckily that has past, but recently this year and last year I have had a whole lot of social anxiety and now I'm afraid that fear is running my life.

I over think things, everything, I over analyze every situation. I mean just the past couple days I had a 2 extra tickets to a baseball game and I was making a huge deal out of who to invite. I guess recently I've noticed it, my mom says I can try some anxiety medication if I want, she takes it, and my Grandma suffers from depression so I guess it's all in the family. However my real question is do I need it? I'd rather get some advice here from people who are familiar with my situation as opposed to going straight to a Psychiatrist to see if I can get anything prescribed.

Is it just teen anxiety or a phase? I think if it worked I might be able to have more fun and be a little less shy, but I don't know. I don't want to take something that I don't need to. I mean I have a good group of friends but I barely hang out with them outside of school, and I'm almost never the one initiating it. I've never had a girlfriend, there is only one friend that's a girl that I can really talk to openly and we're not really romantically into each other. Although I guess that's beside the point. I am a bit of a perfectionist and I suppose a little hard to work with, maybe some medication would loosen me up, however I don't really want to change my personality, stress can be a good thing and is pretty motivating. I'm just not sure, I'd really love some help. I want to enjoy my teen years, but I also don't want to become dependent on anything, so just let me know, I bet you guys can give some good insight, thanks a ton and let me know as soon as you can It'll be a big help!
Blue63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16th, 2009, 08:30 PM   #2
Atonement
Daily Adventurer

Atonement's Forum Picture

Name: Addison
Default Re: Anxiety

Hey bud. I have been in a very similar situation as you. My view is, if the anxiety is getting in the way of your life, then you should get help for it. Medication is not a cure, only a tool to help treat psychiatric disorders. Going to your general practitioner or a psychiatrist can help you get on a track to learn where you need to go in order to get help. Like, you could get a therapist, you could get medication, you could make some changes in your lifestyle in order to redesign your schedule which can really help you become distracted. It helps. If you ever need any other advice and help, feel free to post or message me. Talk to your parents about it. Its a very good step to recognize the problem.

All you need is love.
Atonement is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16th, 2009, 08:41 PM   #3
ackmedsgirl666
Banned

Name: kenz

i myself have anxiety
i get this way in new places moving away w/e and such
also going out to a place i really love going for some reason i get really anxious
ackmedsgirl666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17th, 2009, 08:27 AM   #4
Peter_
Unregistered

yeah me 2. i think i hav social anxiety but i might be overreacting.. i have this constant fear of being judged or criticised and even when im doing nothing i think people are watching me, waiting for me to mess up...
Old May 17th, 2009, 08:41 AM   #5
ErykaInspire.
Awesome Poster

ErykaInspire.'s Forum Picture

Name: Eryka

well, seeing how you had anxiety when you were a kid, I don't think it's "teen" anxiety. Try to do things to calm yourself down, maybe you're overstressed.
I suggest that you do go and talk to your doctor, it could be serious.
Go a day and TRY to let things just go as they go, try not to think about the outcome, have fun and relax. I know it's pretty hard, but you have to try to convince yourself that you'll be okay.
talk to your friends about it, apologize to them for being stressed about things, i'm sure they'll understand. PM me if you need anything or just to vent. I'm here for you.

☾I hold the stars between my lips.☆
When I speak, make a wish.

add,msg,talk.
I'm here to help(:
-ErykaInspire.
{ℒℴvℯℓυtιℴηαrч}
ErykaInspire. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17th, 2009, 08:49 AM   #6
random-chibi
Junior Member+

random-chibi's Forum Picture

I'm just like you. Anxiety is terrible. ._. A while ago I was suffering from months of repeated anxiety, but then it got even worse a few months ago. I too overthink everything (and being pretty smart doesn't help when you know many things either, even things you don't want to know). I also didn't want to take medication for the same reason you don't want to; my mom told me about the side effects and how I would be different and all that stuff. I went to a psychologist instead and he taught me ways to deal with my anxiety. I feel so happy and freeeeeeee now. XD

But yeah, it was still a few weeks before the methods he taught me kicked in. You might want to see a psychiatrist and ask for guidance, but still if it were up to me I, wouldn't try the meds until you go to a psychologist a few times and try the methods that he/she teaches you. If that doesn't work, there's always medication, but still, if it were up to me, I'd rather not think about that. Also, make sure you see someone who specializes in anxiety.

Also, if you suffer from a long period of anxiety like I did (and sometimes the methods didn't work because my anxiety would get pretty bad before I could catch it to stop it), eventually you will probably just tell it to fuck off like I did and just break out of it. No, I'm serious. I actually did that and I suddenly broke out of it. Even then, portions of the methods he taught me were involved. It was pretty epic, if I do say so myself.

I beat it without meds, and you can too!

Also, you should definitely try to hang out with your friends more. Ask them to go out to eat at some fast food place or wherever right after school, and later you can build to bigger and better things! Oh yeah, and plan ahead. XD
random-chibi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17th, 2009, 11:59 AM   #7
IAMSAM
Legendary Member

Name: Sam!

Well, if you've had anxiety since at least Kindergarten, then we can probably say that what you're experiecning now isn't a 'phase'. A 'Phase' is temporary and transient, historically, it seems like you've had this most of your life. Plus, as you note, it runs in your family. So, chances are the anxiety is a part of who you are, and is exacerbated by life's stresses.

If something (anything, really) interferes with your sense of well being, if it holds you back or otherwise interferes with the quality of your life, then it's really wisest to address it. You can attempt that yourself, but if you find that you are unsuccessful, you should see a doctor.

No one 'wants' to be on meds, but the larger issue is that no one 'wants' the symptoms, either. Make the choice to get some help and get over these issues, whatever the treatment.
IAMSAM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18th, 2009, 04:05 PM   #8
Blue63
Member++

Blue63's Forum Picture

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vindication View Post
Hey bud. I have been in a very similar situation as you. My view is, if the anxiety is getting in the way of your life, then you should get help for it. Medication is not a cure, only a tool to help treat psychiatric disorders. Going to your general practitioner or a psychiatrist can help you get on a track to learn where you need to go in order to get help. Like, you could get a therapist, you could get medication, you could make some changes in your lifestyle in order to redesign your schedule which can really help you become distracted. It helps. If you ever need any other advice and help, feel free to post or message me. Talk to your parents about it. Its a very good step to recognize the problem.
I like the option about not jumping straight to medication, I think that is probably a good choice to start with. Thank you for your support

Quote:
Originally Posted by synchrosk8er16 View Post
i myself have anxiety
i get this way in new places moving away w/e and such
also going out to a place i really love going for some reason i get really anxious
Yeah I'm the same way to, I don't think that's to uncommon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_ View Post
yeah me 2. i think i hav social anxiety but i might be overreacting.. i have this constant fear of being judged or criticised and even when im doing nothing i think people are watching me, waiting for me to mess up...
I feel the exact same way, I feel like I have to do everything perfectly or I'll be classified as weird or a loser or something, me being a perfectionist probably doesn't help either.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Micki View Post
well, seeing how you had anxiety when you were a kid, I don't think it's "teen" anxiety. Try to do things to calm yourself down, maybe you're overstressed.
I suggest that you do go and talk to your doctor, it could be serious.
Go a day and TRY to let things just go as they go, try not to think about the outcome, have fun and relax. I know it's pretty hard, but you have to try to convince yourself that you'll be okay.
talk to your friends about it, apologize to them for being stressed about things, i'm sure they'll understand. PM me if you need anything or just to vent. I'm here for you.
You're probably right about it not being a phase, although it does seem to get better then get worse or vice versa but it's not like a substantial change.

You know I think I will just try and go with the flow, the next two weeks aren't the best because of exams and I'm already stressed to the max. During the summer though I'm going to try to just enjoy it, be a little more social and go with the flow a little bit more, just taking one day at a time, hopefully with practice I'll really get better at it.

Thank you so much for the offer, it really means a lot, and I might just take you up on it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by random-chibi View Post
I'm just like you. Anxiety is terrible. ._. A while ago I was suffering from months of repeated anxiety, but then it got even worse a few months ago. I too overthink everything (and being pretty smart doesn't help when you know many things either, even things you don't want to know). I also didn't want to take medication for the same reason you don't want to; my mom told me about the side effects and how I would be different and all that stuff. I went to a psychologist instead and he taught me ways to deal with my anxiety. I feel so happy and freeeeeeee now. XD

But yeah, it was still a few weeks before the methods he taught me kicked in. You might want to see a psychiatrist and ask for guidance, but still if it were up to me I, wouldn't try the meds until you go to a psychologist a few times and try the methods that he/she teaches you. If that doesn't work, there's always medication, but still, if it were up to me, I'd rather not think about that. Also, make sure you see someone who specializes in anxiety.

Also, if you suffer from a long period of anxiety like I did (and sometimes the methods didn't work because my anxiety would get pretty bad before I could catch it to stop it), eventually you will probably just tell it to fuck off like I did and just break out of it. No, I'm serious. I actually did that and I suddenly broke out of it. Even then, portions of the methods he taught me were involved. It was pretty epic, if I do say so myself.

I beat it without meds, and you can too!

Also, you should definitely try to hang out with your friends more. Ask them to go out to eat at some fast food place or wherever right after school, and later you can build to bigger and better things! Oh yeah, and plan ahead. XD
Wow that really worked for you, first of all congrats! Seeing it's success I might just consider that a bit more.

Actually confronting my issues head on can help, and I use it to calm me down. It helps, but it's not super effective for me.

That's my biggest problem, I just think I have nothing to offer, I'm just another body in the room and I feel if I invite them to do something they won't just because it's a hassle. No matter how far from the truth it is. It doesn't exactly help that I live about 15 minutes away from them, no it's the end of the world but still, it runs through my head. However taking the bigger step to initiate something with them is probably my biggest obstacle, hopefully it will soon change.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IAMSAM View Post
Well, if you've had anxiety since at least Kindergarten, then we can probably say that what you're experiecning now isn't a 'phase'. A 'Phase' is temporary and transient, historically, it seems like you've had this most of your life. Plus, as you note, it runs in your family. So, chances are the anxiety is a part of who you are, and is exacerbated by life's stresses.

If something (anything, really) interferes with your sense of well being, if it holds you back or otherwise interferes with the quality of your life, then it's really wisest to address it. You can attempt that yourself, but if you find that you are unsuccessful, you should see a doctor.

No one 'wants' to be on meds, but the larger issue is that no one 'wants' the symptoms, either. Make the choice to get some help and get over these issues, whatever the treatment.
I do want to try and tackle this myself now that I have really identified the problem, if I struggle though I know where to go. I guess it's all priorities in the end.

Thank you all so much, you have really helped me by just helping me confront it and talk about it a bit more openly. You've all given great advice just thank you
Old May 18th, 2009, 04:22 PM   #9
Hyper
VT Lover

Nmaa... Since I'm in a hurry I'll ignore the replies and tell You what I think.

Anxiety is usually accompanied by perfectionism and the like and it usually develops very early

The teenage years either amplify it or it manifests visibly...

Personally I've had the same problems and I've tried meds.. For me they were a temporary help, once they were gone I crashed and fell down below where I was before ( thats what happened to me, it is different for everyone )

After that I ''pulled my shit together'' and worked hard on myself and my thinking. So step by step I've come out stronger than before.. And now I don't have any major anxiety issues.

Though looking back on it a little I am an idiot.. If I had simply gone to a good theraphist from the start things would've been less painful and would've gone by smoother

On the positive side working on myself alone for me was best as I know I dislike psychologists and so on.. And by doing it all by myself I've learnt a lot about myself; the way I tend to think, the mistakes I tend to make and so on..

However taking the blows and getting up again has taught me the wisdom of balance & patience which is why I advise you to first try professional help and to think long term.

I'm tough, rough, ready and able
To pick myself up from under this table
Don't stick no sign on me, I got no label
I'm a little sick, unsure, unsound and unstable

But I'm fighting my way back
Hyper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 30th, 2009, 07:36 PM   #10
random-chibi
Junior Member+

So Blue, how's your anxiety doing?

Just figured I'd check up since you probably suffer just as badly as I do. Though, ever since the ordeal from a few months ago...I can't seem to make myself worry. Like, at times I feel like I'm seriously trying to make myself worry....but I just can't. So yeah, how's it going?
Old June 3rd, 2009, 10:14 PM   #11
Blue63
Member++

Blue63's Forum Picture

Quote:
So Blue, how's your anxiety doing?

Just figured I'd check up since you probably suffer just as badly as I do. Though, ever since the ordeal from a few months ago...I can't seem to make myself worry. Like, at times I feel like I'm seriously trying to make myself worry....but I just can't. So yeah, how's it going?
Wow thanks, that REALLY means a lot!

It's well somewhat better I suppose, but not really, how do I explain it?

I have a friend, we're pretty close, but she goes to a different school, with all my grade school friends. If it weren't for her I think I would spend my days sitting alone in a basement not talking to anyone. She always includes me, and really tries to get me out. She likes the big group dynamic though, I'm not so good at that. So she's thrown me into the mix with summer, I assume practice makes perfect. I still get pretty nervous, and back out of things I don't need to back out of. But baby steps right? I really want to just sit back and enjoy the summer, and that's what I'm going to try and do, naturally =]
Old June 4th, 2009, 07:08 AM   #12
random-chibi
Junior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue63 View Post
Wow thanks, that REALLY means a lot!

It's well somewhat better I suppose, but not really, how do I explain it?

I have a friend, we're pretty close, but she goes to a different school, with all my grade school friends. If it weren't for her I think I would spend my days sitting alone in a basement not talking to anyone. She always includes me, and really tries to get me out. She likes the big group dynamic though, I'm not so good at that. So she's thrown me into the mix with summer, I assume practice makes perfect. I still get pretty nervous, and back out of things I don't need to back out of. But baby steps right? I really want to just sit back and enjoy the summer, and that's what I'm going to try and do, naturally =]
Good luck!

Also, if you want, you can tell her to start out in groups of maybe 1 or 2 other people (along with you and your friend), then when you get used to that, you can ask her to start bringing more people along.
Old June 4th, 2009, 12:25 PM   #13
Blue63
Member++

Blue63's Forum Picture

Quote:
Good luck!

Also, if you want, you can tell her to start out in groups of maybe 1 or 2 other people (along with you and your friend), then when you get used to that, you can ask her to start bringing more people along.
Yeah we have talked about that, so I think in the end it will all work out, after all practice makes perfect!

The Journal of a Dork,
My Ever Expanding Blog

Free to talk, anytime, always happy to.