Virtual Teen Forums

Go Back   Virtual Teen Forums > >
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read Chat Room

Old November 30th, 2008, 03:59 PM   #1
ItsJustAnotherGuy

Unhappy At a loss.. too much going on!

Hi there.. I'm new here and was looking for some advice (I'm pretty much gonna spill my guts)..

I'm not sure if this is the right place to post this, so mod's you guys can move it if need be.

I'm a high school student, not the best grades mostly B's (a couple A's and a couple B's). My parents are constantly nagging me about grades and life in general. I'm got some friends but we aren't really all that social. I wouldn't consider myself a total nerd or geek, but I do love computers and coding.

I do a fair amount of freelance work to pay for a dedicated server i use for hosting my junk and some of my friend's stuff..

Lately I've been stretching myself a bit too thin.. too much to do, not enough time to do it. I'm just looking for someone to talk to... I guess people consider me kindof weird on certain subjects when they find out the truth.. (Never had a "real" relationship... and a junior in High School) Coding is my passion but most people don't understand it and just call it a nerdfest or whatever..

I tend to try to keep my real-life and online life separate and spend a lot of time on the computer (probably too much..) .... Its just that when im online chatting with friends and buddies i've met online.. its a whole different world..

I've been working on trying to be happy.. I'm not depressed or anything.. to be honest, I don't think I've truly enjoyed myself carefree for a year or two now.. There is always something bugging me in the back of my mind.

As far as stress and sleep goes, I usually get about 7-8 hours of sleep a night (school starts at 7:30 am!!!!! ).

I'm involved in wayy too many things, and i'm thought about cutting back except since im a really technical person, they rely and depend on me and I think I'd feel bad if i left.

Long story short.. I don't know what to do.. I know i need to cut back on things and have some true "fun".. I just need some help getting there. I was hoping you guys could help out...

Any feedback and ideas is appreciated!
ItsJustAnotherGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 1st, 2008, 08:10 AM   #2
Atonement
Daily Adventurer

Atonement's Forum Picture

Name: Addison
Default Re: At a loss.. too much going on!

Say no. You need to learn how to say no to your friends. If they really are your friends, they will understand. They will get the message that you are so stressed out and aren't functioning too well. Communication.

Hope all goes well.

All you need is love.
Atonement is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 1st, 2008, 10:57 AM   #3
Hyper
VT Lover

Yes you have to cut back or you'll burn out. Its a typical thing people do when their doing good and start to get a little stressed they usually un-knowingly pile up on things to do that in the long run make them even more stressed.

So for a starters you need cut back on your responsibilities, it doesn't matter if people need you, not like something horrible will happen if you wont help them.

If you cut back and relax a little things should go better.

I'm tough, rough, ready and able
To pick myself up from under this table
Don't stick no sign on me, I got no label
I'm a little sick, unsure, unsound and unstable

But I'm fighting my way back
Hyper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 1st, 2008, 08:58 PM   #4
ItsJustAnotherGuy

Alrighty guys, thanks for the advice, i'll give it a try and let you know how it goes.

Code:
<?php
echo "Thanks For the Advice!";
print "Happy Holidays!";
?>
ItsJustAnotherGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 4th, 2008, 04:18 AM   #5
Cindex
Member+

I'm stating the obvious, but you really are too busy.

Relax a little. Hang out with some RL friends. And hey, if you're happier online that's what you should do.

Another thing, try to cut down on freelance work. Use your computer as a server. Apache is awesome. It's much easier to update and try new things. Plus there's no bandwidth limits or anything. The freelance work is going to make it so coding isn't fun anymore. I started trying to make things in flash for money and the enjoyment just died. Make something you want and enjoy it.
Cindex is offline   Reply With Quote