Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read Chat Room

Closed Thread

Old November 14th, 2008, 01:28 AM   #1
Kiros
Retired Administrator

Kiros's Forum Picture

Name: Ben
Exclamation Sunday Downtime

Due to recent server overloads, I've plan to do a complete site backup within the coming days. Like the title says, I'm hoping for Sunday - probably midday for our US visitors.

Our database is currently 335.14 megabytes in size, and our physical files total to be 172.55 megabytes in size. Together, that makes for about 508 megabytes (or 520192 kilobytes) that the server has to send to me. The server will probably send me everything at around 100-200 kilobytes per second.

If the server sends me everything at 100KB/s, the downloading will take at least 1.5 hours. If the server is faster than I'm expecting and sends at 200KB/s, then the download will take at least 45 minutes.

So the downtime will be at least 45 minutes, but it may stretch into a couple hours.

This is complete backup is to ensure that Virtual Teen can recover 100% from a fatal server crash. This procedure is very rarely done, so there shouldn't be any significant, planned downtime for a long while.

Thank you for your patience!
Ben

Kiros || Ben

Happiness is not about being perfect.
It is about seeing beyond the imperfections.
Old November 16th, 2008, 11:43 AM   #2
Kiros
Retired Administrator

Kiros's Forum Picture

Name: Ben
Default Re: Sunday Downtime

Okay, it's done. It took a little longer than expected because of file permissions, which means that I wasn't able to backup ALL of the user attachments. Only about 20 files (or less) were problematic and I'll get trying to fetch those from the server later on.

Anyway, thanks for your patience, everyone!

Kiros || Ben

Happiness is not about being perfect.
It is about seeing beyond the imperfections.
Closed Thread