Virtual Teen Forums

Go Back   Virtual Teen Forums > >
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read Chat Room

Old October 5th, 2008, 08:29 PM   #1
wazzler7999

wazzler7999's Forum Picture

Default ???ehh

ok so i been excersicing for bout 2 years just to stay in shape for the sports i play and my friend who is a little over weight started excersicing with me bout months ago and he has lost most his abdominal fat but he still kinda has man boobs and like a 2nd chin hes really emotional and if i flat otu tell him he will stop eating for weeks so any ideas ow i can tell him and how he can loose it i thought lifting weights for the pecish area but we work out outta my garage and i dotn have a lot of equipment so any ideas hwo he can loose it and how i can tell him nicely

please exscuse my spellign errors im quite tired

and idk where this post should be but i saw hwo everyone was talkig nbotu there weight so i figured

When u stop fighting you stop living. We all need that thing worth fighting for,
Maybe its a certain someone, or a special place, maybe it's an idea. Whatever it may be, find your fight and fight like hell till your battle is Won...

A.I.M.<---->bandersnatch1004
wazzler7999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 5th, 2008, 08:35 PM   #2
Mzor203
VT Lover

Name: Rex
Default Re: ???ehh

Well, lifting weights would help, as you said, and general exercises burn up the deposits of fat around the body, so as long as he keeps at it it should help.

A good way to go about asking would to be to ask him if he wants to work out with you some day, just as something to go do. Hopefully he'll find he likes it and it helps him, and you guys could do it together a bunch. That way you don't even have to bring up his body.
Mzor203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 5th, 2008, 08:36 PM   #3
Oblivion
Retired Mod

So if you tell him straight out that he needs to lose weight he stops eating for weeks?
Thats not good.
Maybe ask his mom/dad to start fixing better meals?
And maybe try to get him to exercise more, maybe with you, but without saying he needs to lose weight?
Oblivion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 6th, 2008, 10:49 AM   #4
wazzler7999

wazzler7999's Forum Picture

thanks

When u stop fighting you stop living. We all need that thing worth fighting for,
Maybe its a certain someone, or a special place, maybe it's an idea. Whatever it may be, find your fight and fight like hell till your battle is Won...

A.I.M.<---->bandersnatch1004
wazzler7999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 6th, 2008, 11:18 AM   #5
Avalikia
Member+

Part of the reason is that when you lose weight your body doesn't use the fat stores evenly. This is particularily noticable if someone is particularily overweight to begin with. So since he's been working out, his body decided to use mostly the stomach fat first (which is a really good place to start because that's linked to many problems) and it will eventually use it from other places when that starts to run out, as long as he continues to excercise and doesn't increase his food intake too much. In fact, if he were to eat less and better things it would only help - perhaps you can tell him that it will help with the workouts, because that's true too.

Also, keep in mind that your body doesn't pay attention to which part of your body is being worked out when it selects what fat to use. This means that if you have your friend work on his chest muscles, that doesn't automatically reduce the amount of fat in his chest. Then again, having some muscle under the fat supporting it would probably make it look better, and you don't want him to loose his chest fat only to find he has no pecs.

The best excercise to target the chest is the bench press. If you don't have a bar for this, you can also use free weights or any other heavy objects that you can hold while performing that motion. To build muscle you'll want to go with low reps and no more than 4 sets.
Avalikia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 6th, 2008, 12:59 PM   #6
IAMSAM
Legendary Member

Name: Sam!

Since this is posted in the Psych Ward, I'll give the Psych answer: If your friend is sensitive about his body and responds to feedback by not eating you should NOT tell him he's overweight or otherwise give feedback he's not asking for.

A lot of times, we think we're being helpful with the advice or recommendations or observations we're offering, but in the absence of a real question, it's most often experienced much differently, as you see. Sometimes, being a friend means keeping your observations to yourself, and just enbjoy the time with him. If he wants some info, he'll ask directly, until then, just enjoy the time with him.
IAMSAM is offline   Reply With Quote