Virtual Teen Forums

Go Back   Virtual Teen Forums > >
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read Chat Room

View Poll Results: Should negative rep be disabled?
Yes 19 43.18%
No 23 52.27%
Abstain 2 4.55%
Voters: 44. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old September 19th, 2008, 03:05 PM   #101
Antares
Legendary Member+Mod

Antares's Forum Picture

Default Re: Should negative rep be disabled?

I agree. The administration has acted and effectively solved the problem. Unless someone has different arguments to present.

~Laura was here~
Old September 20th, 2008, 06:07 AM   #102
stotty
Junior Member+

stotty's Forum Picture

Negative rep. should not be disabled only because if people disagree they can give negative rep. If you do not enjoy rep. well you can now disable it. It is optional

mmmmm.life is like a piece of cheese....tasty

Feel free to PM me if you need help!
Old September 24th, 2008, 11:58 AM   #103
IAMSAM
Legendary Member

Name: Sam!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uranus View Post
Why care about something you can't see?
John, you asked me a q, so I'll answer it.

Rep isn't a big deal for me, I have enough maturity and self confidence so I don't rely on the input of others for my self esteem. However, generally speaking, for feedback to be useful, it needs to be standardized, the criteria needs to be specific and mutually agreed upon. Likewise, the best sources of info are those that are held accountable. Without these (i.e. anonymous feedback) is really only gossip. Think about it. There's no common system of evaluation, and there's no discussion possible. The fact that I can choose to not read it is only half of it, the other is that it's not wholesome for people to leave comments with no accountablity at all.

Features should be included in any site based on their function in facilitating the nature and purpose of that site. At the very least, when it becomes clear that *some* are uncomfortable participating in that feature they should have the option of disabling it entirely, which means that NO anonymous feedback can be given at all. Other than the fact that this ill begotten feature is now a part of the territory, there's really no reason for it not being optional.
Old September 24th, 2008, 09:17 PM   #104
MoveAlong
Legendary Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IAMSAM
Rep isn't a big deal for me, I have enough maturity and self confidence so I don't rely on the input of others for my self esteem.
mature people don't talk about how mature they are. That's bragging.

Quote:
However, generally speaking, for feedback to be useful, it needs to be standardized, the criteria needs to be specific and mutually agreed upon. Likewise, the best sources of info are those that are held accountable. Without these (i.e. anonymous feedback) is really only gossip.
Dictionary:
Gossip n.
Light informal conversation for social occasions
Gossip v.
speak about others and reveal secrets or intimacies

Rep is not gossip because you're not talking to another person about somebody. Gossip is a social thing, not a one-person feedback thing.

Quote:
Think about it. There's no common system of evaluation, and there's no discussion possible. The fact that I can choose to not read it is only half of it, the other is that it's not wholesome for people to leave comments with no accountablity at all.
The rep system was designed by a person on vBulletin.org who programmed it to be based on opinions, not for everyone to democratically agree on who is the best and who is the worst on a site. In that situation, I think it would be too opressive and unfriendly.
I agree that people tend to take it way too seriously but that doesn't mean that we should suspend the rep system entirely, that just means the teenagers on the site who take rep literally should grow up.

Quote:
Features should be included in any site based on their function in facilitating the nature and purpose of that site. At the very least, when it becomes clear that *some* are uncomfortable participating in that feature they should have the option of disabling it entirely, which means that NO anonymous feedback can be given at all. Other than the fact that this ill begotten feature is now a part of the territory, there's really no reason for it not being optional.
Having the option to disable it gets me to not focus on rep and not take things personally, because I tend to do that. That is at least one reason that it should be optional.
Another is so that people don't go "omg you have so many rep blocks u are the greatest" because that's not really true, so people don't have misconseptions about how "good" you are based on something that is entirely based on opinion.
Besides, once someone begins to be mature enough, they might want to re-enable their reputation. There's no reason to completley douse it while you take a break from it. This is a happy medium.
right?

Last edited by MoveAlong; September 24th, 2008 at 09:21 PM.
Old September 25th, 2008, 12:00 AM   #105
IAMSAM
Legendary Member

Name: Sam!

Zach, you've missed my point. And I'll acknowledge your rudeness, but show the maturity you're saying you cannot appreciate by choosing to ignore it.

There are two points: First, is that for feedback to be useful, either the person leaving the feedback needs to have actual qualifications to judge the worth of the post, or in the absence of those qualifications, there needs to be some agreed upon criteria for judging it. In the absence of either, the anonymity of the feedback is very similiar to passing notes in chemistry class or whispering behind someone's back. If the purpose of feedback is to help teach something, to give someone the opportunity to learn, the current system fails in that regard, regardless of whoever developed it, or what their intentions were. For it to work, feedback needs to be transparent and the person leaving the feedback needs to be accountable for what they write. I'm not sure what you're defending here, but it's not openness or honesty (or courage, for that matter). If someone has something to say, they should at the very least be able to own up to it.

Second, and perhaps most importantly, the feedback system has absolutely nothing to do whatsoever with the nature and purpose of this site. Therefore, participation in it should be voluntary. Unless you can give me a reason for basically forcing people to be judged anonymously by others, we're done with eachother on this.
Old September 25th, 2008, 02:49 AM   #106
Sapphire
Tears & Smiles

Sapphire's Forum Picture

This has been sorted and you can choose whether you want to have it enabled or disabled. And Sam, if you really are so mature then why have you been guilty of misusing the rep system yourself?

~ The journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step ~

* Nothing in the world has ever been accomplished without passion *
Old September 25th, 2008, 08:41 AM   #107
Maverick
Retired Administrator

Maverick's Forum Picture

Yeah the main idea of this thread was about negative reputation and the solution is that negative reputation isn't going anywhere, and you can disable reputation should you no longer want to participate.

If you want the rep system completely removed or would like a new feedback system, feel free to create your own thread.

Closed Thread