Virtual Teen Forums

Go Back   Virtual Teen Forums > >
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read Chat Room

Old February 8th, 2018, 06:07 AM   #1
crustacean

crustacean's Forum Picture

Name: Cean
Lightbulb GCE/A levels student.

Is there anyone here who's currently taking/have already taken A levels? Any advice, maybe? What websites helped you the most? Mine was StudentRoom, it's an amazing website.
crustacean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 9th, 2018, 04:39 PM   #2
nebula

nebula's Forum Picture

Name: shanie
Default Re: GCE/A levels student.

I’m currently taking my A-Levels, in the first year.

I haven’t really looked at StudentRoom recently, I dabbled in it a bit when going through my GCSEs and I may do so again when mocks etc start to arise. I did find it a good resource although it is a very active site. When you’re so used to VT, it’s like moving from a little village to the centre of London

What subjects and exam boards do you do? If we have any similar subjects we could discuss them further.

nebula ~ help and advice moderator

last.fm~
i wouldnt be who id be without you

~Endeavour was here~
*Mars was here*
nebula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 20th, 2018, 10:01 AM   #3
crustacean

Mine are Maths, Bio, Chemistry and Physics. WBU?
Old March 20th, 2018, 12:24 PM   #4
Ethan19
Member+

Ethan19's Forum Picture

Name: Ethan

I did the IB and am now at Uni. I studied HI Math, phys and chem SL business, Spanish and English. Best advice, just put your head down and get it done. You put in the time you'll get the results. Best websites, patrickJMT, bioninja, chemguide, MSJchem to name a few
Ethan19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 20th, 2018, 03:31 PM   #5
Tom_theflash
Member++

Tom_theflash's Forum Picture

That's a hard question to answer but im gonna try to. I got the highest marks during high school.
Studying is hard in two ways:
Starting.
Keeping with it.
How did I start studying?
It's gonna sound like a broken record but "I decided I want to improve/better my life"
The decision and action are important (kinda like other stuff in life like going to the gym or whatnot).
-If it's in a specific subject (that you don't like), approach your teacher for help. If you're lucky, you're teacher started teaching because s/he wanted his/her students to learn.
-find "interesting facts" about the subject. Search it online. That interest could fuel you to study more (or at least attempt to) in that subject
-go online and find videos on the subject you're having problems with.
-read. Yes. READ. notes, books, online examples. Your teacher might have a specific way of asking questions. Think of it as war with words, and how your teacher might trick you. You'd be surprised at how it can be so competitive.
How to keep studying:
-set goals. simple or hard it doesn't matter.
Ex. "I want to get at least a 90/100 on this test"
"I want to at least pass this test."
"I am going to finish reading this book by the end of the week, two weeks tops."

"Melancholy were the sounds on a winter's night".

Last edited by Tom_theflash; March 20th, 2018 at 03:35 PM.
Tom_theflash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 20th, 2018, 05:35 PM   #6
nebula

nebula's Forum Picture

Name: shanie

Quote:
Originally Posted by crustacean View Post
Mine are Maths, Bio, Chemistry and Physics. WBU?
Geography, Psychology and ICT (BTEC)

I did start off year 12 with chemistry, but it just really wasn’t my thing. I’m glad I dropped it when I did.

One really easy and effective method for me was to print off past/specimen papers and write out model answers using the mark schemes since I generally need more help seeing where marks are attained rather than the knowledge itself. It’s definitely improved my answering of longer mark questions, and basically secured the smaller mark questions so I have a more solid basis.

Luckily for me, I’m just one of those people that makes notes off a PowerPoint or out of the text book and I understand it. Due to the fact that I have about ~10 hours of free periods in school a week since I do only 3 subjects, it gives me a lot of time to read back over my notes, write them in the best way for me to understand them, and type them up for my folder. I always seem to want to read back over my notes and solidify my understanding if I have “pretty” typed up notes for my folder.

nebula ~ help and advice moderator

last.fm~
i wouldnt be who id be without you

~Endeavour was here~
*Mars was here*
nebula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 23rd, 2018, 10:50 AM   #7
crustacean

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom55 View Post
If it's in a specific subject (that you don't like), approach your teacher for help. If you're lucky, you're teacher started teaching because s/he wanted his/her students to learn.
U hit the nail on the head with this XD some teachers are difficult. In that case, youtube and concise revision guides like CGP helps a lot. TNX 4 the solid advice though. I hope I can stick to studying. My mind keeps wandering every time I sit with my notes...I hope it changes 4m today onwards...
Old March 24th, 2018, 05:56 AM   #8
ImagineRepublicCity
Nice Poster

ImagineRepublicCity's Forum Picture

Name: Natalie

Are A levels like extension/accelerated/top classes? If that's the case, yeah, I did that. I did Grade 11 Math and Food Science and Tech in Grade 10, so I finished them in Grade 11. Needless to say, I hated it, but, I think this is an Australian thing but Khan Academy apparently is really good (I didn't study ever so I never checked it out, haha) and they explain things very well.

"Nyx, Nyx, Nyx, Nyx, Nyx"

I'm not very active, but if you need someone to chat to, PM me.

Dota 2 Enthusiast | Pre-Service Teacher | Lazy | Writer
ImagineRepublicCity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 24th, 2018, 08:12 AM   #9
Tom_theflash
Member++

Tom_theflash's Forum Picture

Quote:
Originally Posted by crustacean View Post
U hit the nail on the head with this XD some teachers are difficult. In that case, youtube and concise revision guides like CGP helps a lot. TNX 4 the solid advice though. I hope I can stick to studying. My mind keeps wandering every time I sit with my notes...I hope it changes 4m today onwards...
I see. Unfortunately, there is not much you can do. Use the resources around you. Internet is a wonderful thing and there are opportunities out there to get help as needed. It is certainly not ideal, but it is the best you can do. Try to understand your books too.

"Melancholy were the sounds on a winter's night".
Tom_theflash is offline   Reply With Quote