Virtual Teen Forums

Go Back   Virtual Teen Forums > >
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read Chat Room

Old February 5th, 2018, 02:53 PM   #1
Ilove318

Ilove318's Forum Picture

Name: Nirvana
Default Cuts, school, water, infection?

So I recently started self harming on my forearm and it feels really good even though I know it shouldnít. But my problem is that itís summer here and the school swimming carnival will be on shortly. I know I will cut more between now and that day, so what do I do about my open wounds and how do I cover up the scars? Thanks for your help!
Ilove318 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 5th, 2018, 03:33 PM   #2
Tim the Enchanter
Great Poster

Tim the Enchanter's Forum Picture

Name: Timothy
Default Re: Cuts, school, water, infection?

Oh boy. Can I ask why it feels good? Sorry but I'm not entirely sure what you could do to cover up scars. But use first aid in open wounds.

JUST TIM
Also known as, the hash-slinging slasher

Tim the Enchanter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 5th, 2018, 03:58 PM   #3
the_power_slave
Great Poster

the_power_slave's Forum Picture

Name: eli.

you shoud tell your parents and/or see a theripist,
P.S, can you offer more info on why exactly it feels good,(granted you could just be a masochist)
the_power_slave is online now   Reply With Quote
Old February 5th, 2018, 04:54 PM   #4
Sailor Mars
Global Moderator

Sailor Mars's Forum Picture

Like above users posted, you should try seeking help. However, you need to take care of yourself. You need to clean your wounds and cover them. Depending on how deep you cut, they should scab over in a couple of days, and that’s safe enough to swim with. Otherwise, you can take proper precaution and cover your wounds with waterproof bandages. Again though, I highly advise seeking help and trying to stop before you develop a serious pain addiction. Take care of yourself!

"The head may err, but never the blood.Ē
Nice salt pouch, asshole
barely getting bi

~Endeavour was here~
~Mike Was Here~
Elysium is the one tru brodie
Sailor Mars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 5th, 2018, 07:47 PM   #5
Juliarules832
Great Poster

Juliarules832's Forum Picture

Name: Julia

Tell your parents how you feel

14 year old girl from Massachusetts. Feel free to message me or email me about anything!
Juliarules832 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 5th, 2018, 08:09 PM   #6
OldmanKitty

Name: Oldman

So i would highly recommend against cutting yourself and even moreso in such sun touched areas. I would recommend that you find someone that you can talk to, since it is a recent start it's easier to try and get help now rather than to get deeper and deeper into the hole that it becomes so much harder to get back to not self harming.

It's quite obvious from your post that you enjoy it and i fully understand that but you must try and broaden your mind to see into the future, you are looking for short term satisfaction over potentially short term issues, and whilst you did not mention any reasons we can not know what these are going to be.

Talk to someone at your school and try and seek some form of help. Keep open wounds dressed and sterilised as much as possible with anti-bacterial creams/ointment (Savlon is a pretty decent one, TCP if you don't mind a sting)

As for covering scars it's very hard, They are quite obvious short time after cutting and even in the years to come, It has been about 7 years since i stopped and they are still there. Scars are very difficult to blend in back to your natural skin colour and sadly they will be visible especially if you know they are there.

Hope this helps
OldmanKitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 5th, 2018, 09:33 PM   #7
Dalcourt
Legendary Member

Dalcourt's Forum Picture

Name: Peanut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilove318 View Post
So I recently started self harming on my forearm and it feels really good even though I know it shouldnít. But my problem is that itís summer here and the school swimming carnival will be on shortly. I know I will cut more between now and that day, so what do I do about my open wounds and how do I cover up the scars? Thanks for your help!
Open wounds in warm weather and contact with water are never a good idea( I had some really ugly infections from that).

Be extra careful with cleaning them and use waterproof bandaging.

Apart from that it is of course most important to try to stop your self-harming till it is too late.
The more it gets a habit the harder it is to stop.

Try to find other coping methods and talk to your parents or another person you trust.
Dalcourt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 6th, 2018, 12:32 AM   #8
Ilove318

Ilove318's Forum Picture

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timd9 View Post
Oh boy. Can I ask why it feels good? Sorry but I'm not entirely sure what you could do to cover up scars. But use first aid in open wounds.
It feels good to me because I can control the pain. Also I feel good that I can punish myself for anything stupid I did. Even the smallest of things like 18/20 in a test or Ďstudy moreí from my parents.

My parents are good people, but I donít think they know what to do. I wanted to talk to my best friend, but she was so happy about her life, I didnít want to spoil it. Also, no matter what people say, I donít feel worth it.

Yesterday, a few minutes after I posted the first message, my dad found me on my iPad and decided to teach my brother and me some spelling. It was 10:48 pm (I have trouble sleeping, and my parents have too much work to do, hence the time) and I was getting annoyed by having to do that. I said I didnít want to because I was tired, when Iím reality, I was feeling super depressed. My little brother was silent but my parents got angry and said it was an excuse for my laziness. I wanted to tell them the truth, but not at such an emotional time. They said I had all holidays for a break and now that school had started I had to work hard. I know theyíre right and they wanted the best for me, but I was so sad, I left for my room to cool down. He immediately sent my brother to get me back, but it was too late and I had already cut a few times in anger and shame.

I got yelled at heaps for my attitude, had to memorise the words and their meanings and stuff and then he realised how sad I was. He said sorry, and I forgave him since it was my fault. He always wants to teach me and I never want to learn because I canít motivate myself.

The worst part of the entire situation was that he accidentally said in anger: Ďgo and work (physically) till you die!í I know he didnít mean it, but it was small things like that my friends said that drove me to self harm in the first place.

He said that if I was having friendship issues at school, which I told my Mum in confidence, I should just go to the library. I told him thatís not how it works, but he didnít listen.

Today after school, I wanted to see the counsellor, but I read the school policy and if someone was in immediate danger for injury or suicide, their parents would be notified.

So thatís my summed up story of the last month basically. Sorry itís so long. ☹️

Posts merged~Dalcourt

Last edited by Dalcourt; February 6th, 2018 at 12:54 AM.
Old February 6th, 2018, 01:22 AM   #9
Dalcourt
Legendary Member

Dalcourt's Forum Picture

Name: Peanut

I understand how your family situation, especially the relationship with your father as you described it, is adding to your feeling depressed and finding escape in self-harming.

I'm more or less successfully battle with mental health issues and self-harm for years myself so I understand the difficulties.

I see why you don't wanna drag your friend into this and finding the right moment with a parent is never easy. I am hardly every able to thoroughly discuss and issue with my father since he usually interrupts me after two or three sentences and leads the discussion where he wants it.
As I felt I had to tell him how I really felt I had no other way than to write a letter to him.
It felt sort of weird but at the same time I was able to describe all my feelings in a way I would never have been able face to face with him.

Sure a school counselor will have your inform your family if here is an immediate danger.But if you can't find another way and talk to your family about it yourself maybe this would be a good solution. The counsellor will be able to give information on treatment and dealing with selfharm and depression for you and your family as a whole then. So if you think your don't understand maybe this would get a good first step towards getting them involved?

I don't wanna force you into one way or other in seeking help. You must find out for yourself what you feel most comfortable with.
But whenever you feel you have to vent or anything I'm here to listen.
Dalcourt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 6th, 2018, 02:50 PM   #10
Ilove318

Ilove318's Forum Picture

Thanks for your help. I think I will see the counsellor tomorrow if I don't need to be home early.