Virtual Teen Forums

Go Back   Virtual Teen Forums > >
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read Chat Room

Old January 15th, 2018, 06:41 AM   #1
Sweeney05

Sweeney05's Forum Picture

Name: Ben
Default The Stigma Needs To Stop.

I want to start by saying that I'm new here. My name is Ben. Hello everybody!

I feel like society kind of turns a blind eye to depression and mental illness in young teen. Well, it gets a bad rap across every age group but I feel especially so with us teens. I feel like societies view is, "They're just a bunch of kids. What do they have to be depressed about?'

But depression doesn't always work that way. I have had a very happy childhood. But I've had a lot of issues I've had to deal with. I cry myself to sleep many nights, and quite often I don't even know why. I had it in my head once that I was going to kill myself. I had gotten up and gotten ready for school. My plan was to skip school and head down to the train tracks. But just as I was about to leave, my dad came up to me, hugged me, and told me he loved me. This was really odd for him. He's really not the affectionatel type. It's actually the only time I can remember him telling me he loved me. So he must've known something was up with me; and it was like a mental kick it the guts. It winded me. It helped clear my mind, and stopped me from going through with it. I still have to fight the thoughts.

The stigma around depression and mental health in general needs to stop.
Sweeney05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 16th, 2018, 01:25 AM   #2
Anthony17

Anthony17's Forum Picture

Name: Anthony
Default Re: The Stigma Needs To Stop.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweeney05 View Post
I want to start by saying that I'm new here. My name is Ben. Hello everybody!

I feel like society kind of turns a blind eye to depression and mental illness in young teen. Well, it gets a bad rap across every age group but I feel especially so with us teens. I feel like societies view is, "They're just a bunch of kids. What do they have to be depressed about?'

But depression doesn't always work that way. I have had a very happy childhood. But I've had a lot of issues I've had to deal with. I cry myself to sleep many nights, and quite often I don't even know why. I had it in my head once that I was going to kill myself. I had gotten up and gotten ready for school. My plan was to skip school and head down to the train tracks. But just as I was about to leave, my dad came up to me, hugged me, and told me he loved me. This was really odd for him. He's really not the affectionatel type. It's actually the only time I can remember him telling me he loved me. So he must've known something was up with me; and it was like a mental kick it the guts. It winded me. It helped clear my mind, and stopped me from going through with it. I still have to fight the thoughts.

The stigma around depression and mental health in general needs to stop.
In our modern world, society has always failed the youth. It does need to end, and the only way to do that is to broadcast it. To illuminate society of the pain and suffering teens and even children go through at times.

"I enjoy the sun and the beauty of summer as long as I can. Who knows whether one of these days I shall not be prevented from doing it?" - Alexei Nikolaevich

How wonderful it is that nobody need wait a single moment before starting to improve the world. - Anne Frank
Anthony17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 17th, 2018, 10:06 PM   #3
Just JT
VT Lover

Just JT's Forum Picture

Name: JT

You have a really good dad. Not all dads know or feel shit like yours does
Thats a dad you can talk to and say just about anything to
He may not seem all that affectionate but he does love you obviously
And he knows when he needs to show that love and how
Embrace that, not everyone had a dad like that

Voted most likely to wind up in jail
2017 VT Awards
Just JT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 17th, 2018, 10:33 PM   #4
Sweeney05

Sweeney05's Forum Picture

Name: Ben

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just JT View Post
You have a really good dad. Not all dads know or feel shit like yours does
Thats a dad you can talk to and say just about anything to
He may not seem all that affectionate but he does love you obviously
And he knows when he needs to show that love and how
Embrace that, not everyone had a dad like that
Yeah, you're right. I don't think I give the old boy the appreciation he deserves.

Come say hello. I don't bite...
...Or do I? Mwhahaha!
Sweeney05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 17th, 2018, 11:43 PM   #5
zzzzzzzzzz
Banned

zzzzzzzzzz's Forum Picture

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweeney05 View Post
Yeah, you're right. I don't think I give the old boy the appreciation he deserves.
It's good to show that he care, and that you are not alone
zzzzzzzzzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 28th, 2018, 02:25 AM   #6
Ilove318

Ilove318's Forum Picture

Name: Nirvana

I'm 13 too and I think the stigma should be stopped too, because in 2017 I tried to kill myself. It sounds spy stupid, but I was hung up over a boy who played my emotions after my best friend left. I want to talk to my parents, but the stigma around it makes it too hard. Every time someone in my family talks about suicide, i cringe, because they know what im going through, and they are supportive, but they NEVER directly bring it up. They always say how things will get better, and I believe they will, even though I can't see the light at the end of the tunnel right now. You're so lucky your dad cares for you like that. My dad does too, but he's always so busy, home late and stressed, I don't want to bug him. You can always message me if you want to talk.
Ilove318 is offline   Reply With Quote