Virtual Teen Forums

Go Back   Virtual Teen Forums > >
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read Chat Room

Old December 26th, 2017, 02:22 PM   #1
Peitr

Name: Peitr
Default Embarrassing Facebook Pics at Job Interviews

This is a warning about facebook pics that show naked skin!

So I went for an interview on campus with lots of other guys just for an internship at a local tax office.

When they called me, i saw immediatly that they had a folder with my info and it had a huge print out of a pic that is on my facebook....where I am wearing only a towel around my waist. I had nothing else on and 'something" was very outlined becasue the towel was so thin and white.

When I saw that, it threw everything off. I couldn;t answer or feel confident. The 2 guys running the interview kept the photo on the table while they talked to me and i stumbled for words.

I was red faced...funny feeling.

Then they brought it up. Asked if I thought that was a professional photo to have on my profile. Asked if I wanted prospective employers in the "real world" to see my "bare-chested", 'virtually naked". I could barely speak.

They showed me other guys pics where they had suit and tie on. Asked if I saw the difference..that they're professional and respectable looking and I was just "lower and naked". Exact words.

They said to think about changing my profile pic if I want to look more presentable. I asked for the pic and they just put in in their folder, which was annoying.

i just walked away. Said thank you.

So, if you have public pics that are Embarrassing, and you can change them, you should!

Live and learn.
Peitr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 4th, 2018, 07:55 PM   #2
lliam
Awesome Poster

lliam's Forum Picture

Name: Liam
Location: The road opposite the big lake on the island in front of the big city on the mainland.
Default Re: Embarrassing Facebook Pics at Job Interviews

Wouldn't bother me at all. I would've asked'em, why they confronting me with those pics, cause they aren't relvant for the job.

I really think, not the pictures are embarrassing, but it's embarrassing, even downright pathetic, when people who do a job interview confront the interviewee with such pics.

Although such images on FB may publicly available to anyone, I would ask the interviewers if they don't respect my privacy and if they consider it professional to print such irrelevant images without my permission etc etc ...

Lastly, everyone should be aware of being confronted with such images during job interviews.

If that unsettles you, you shouldn't even upload those pics. But imo, those who can confidently stand to it, have a good chance to get the job anyway.

The decision is yours to submit your private life to public censorship. Or if you are self-confident enough to stand for yourself.

"Life is that prison you'll never leave alive."

lliam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 4th, 2018, 08:48 PM   #3
Abyssal Echo
Lone Wolf

Abyssal Echo's Forum Picture

Name: Matt

I have heard of people getting fired for stuff they posted on social media sites so your post about them checking you out prior to an interview doesn't surprise me... what does surprise me is that they still interviewed you... I'm sure it was an eye opening experience for you. Imo it doesn't say much for them.
I'm sure there are a lot of FB users here that are either looking for work or will soon be old enough be be looking for a job that will find your post helpful.

Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience - Mark Twain
Abyssal Echo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 16th, 2018, 02:16 AM   #4
Anthony17

Anthony17's Forum Picture

Name: Anthony

I'd definitely scrub any social media accounts, anything that could ruin my reputation.

"I enjoy the sun and the beauty of summer as long as I can. Who knows whether one of these days I shall not be prevented from doing it?" - Alexei Nikolaevich

How wonderful it is that nobody need wait a single moment before starting to improve the world. - Anne Frank
Anthony17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 16th, 2018, 02:43 AM   #5
Shiny Moon
Nice Poster

Shiny Moon's Forum Picture

Name: Savannah

Aww that's too bad

I'm not really careful with the stuff that share on the Internet, but that company just crossed the line. What do they care what you decide to share on social media. That's your private life and you can do whatever you want. They hire people based on Facebook photos or on skills? This kind of stuff really piss me off, don't they have a life that they need to mess with the life of other people?

Looking to the sky to save me ♫♪

17. Bi.

PM me if you want to chat I don't bite!
Shiny Moon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 11th, 2018, 06:46 PM   #6
Southern_Cheer

Southern_Cheer's Forum Picture

Name: Anna May

Easy set everything to private. You should be allowed to live the life you choose and post what you want on your personal page without some one trying to use it against you. I think that it has nothing to do with them, plenty of professional lead sultry personal lives and post stuff online.
Set everything to private where they wont have access to it. And here where I live there have been several companies who have gotten in trouble for trying to force employees and potinel employees to hand over there private account passwords to HR for them to scan through their private accounts.

So please don't be offended when I completely ignore your warning and continue to live my life the way I want to.
Southern_Cheer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 16th, 2018, 04:56 PM   #7
skittlesh

Those are the times we live in it’s a shame
skittlesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 16th, 2018, 07:56 PM   #8
Harrier
Awesome Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southern_Cheer View Post
Easy set everything to private. You should be allowed to live the life you choose and post what you want on your personal page without some one trying to use it against you. I think that it has nothing to do with them, plenty of professional lead sultry personal lives and post stuff online.
Set everything to private where they wont have access to it. And here where I live there have been several companies who have gotten in trouble for trying to force employees and potinel employees to hand over there private account passwords to HR for them to scan through their private accounts.

So please don't be offended when I completely ignore your warning and continue to live my life the way I want to.
I have heard that companies are able to ask you to make your FB page public so they can see it (then allow you to go back and make it private after the interview). Idk if this is true or not.
Harrier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 17th, 2018, 12:49 AM   #9
Uniquemind
VT Lover

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peitr View Post

So I went for an interview on campus with lots of other guys just for an internship at a local tax office.

When they called me, i saw immediatly that they had a folder with my info and it had a huge print out of a pic that is on my facebook....where I am wearing only a towel around my waist. I had nothing else on and 'something" was very outlined becasue the towel was so thin and white.

When I saw that, it threw everything off. I couldn;t answer or feel confident. The 2 guys running the interview kept the photo on the table while they talked to me and i stumbled for words.

Then they brought it up. Asked if I thought that was a professional photo to have on my profile. Asked if I wanted prospective employers in the "real world" to see my "bare-chested", 'virtually naked". I could barely speak.

They showed me other guys pics where they had suit and tie on. Asked if I saw the difference..that they're professional and respectable looking and I was just "lower and naked". Exact words.

They said to think about changing my profile pic if I want to look more presentable. I asked for the pic and they just put in in their folder, which was annoying.

So, if you have public pics that are Embarrassing, and you can change them, you should!

Live and learn.

They aren't going to hire you just TAKE the damn photo from em AFTER you've asked.

But yes this is a problem where technology and what it allows us to do conflicts with judgmental societal standards.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrier View Post
I have heard that companies are able to ask you to make your FB page public so they can see it (then allow you to go back and make it private after the interview). Idk if this is true or not.

This does happen. And it's usually because in an interview environment it feels like an interrogation AND because it's very likely individuals don't know federal, state, and city laws regarding privacy rights.

In addition not all companies are the same, if the company is a much more public one that relies on a clean image then yes I understand them needing to have strict filters on who they hire.

Ultimately companies do this, because their customers want transparency, another ideal that WE as customers of various services also want.

The problem here is 2 good ideals (transparency and business ethics, now conflicts with personal privacy).

At the end of the day even if you know you can deny giving them access to social media information, they can reserve the right to terminate and not hire you.

And there is downward social pressure because by default you are in a subordinate position cause you probably need the income for bills, or supporting a family, student loans, books, and tuition.

It's a very similar dynamic as to why sexual harassment in the workplace has been tolerated and endured by so many for so long. It's about how dependent we are on money, and how that restricts our theoretical equality as human beings.

We judge. That's a problem, but we can't seem to stop judging, it's evolutionarily hardwired as a defense mechanism.

Last edited by Uniquemind; February 17th, 2018 at 01:01 AM.
Uniquemind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 17th, 2018, 09:20 AM   #10
SethfromMI
Legendary Member

SethfromMI's Forum Picture

Name: Seth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southern_Cheer View Post

One I am sure they still have plenty of ways to find out. Two, you are a representation of their company when they hire you. Like it or not you are. If you are a racist and post racist things, that is a negative reflection on the company. If you are a sexist, that is a negative reflection on the company. If all of their employees post a bunch of pictures of them being drunk and careless, I am going to take my taxes to another tax agent/tax company and I am going to have them do it instead, ones in which I think are going to be more professional. Guess what, your picture which you said it should be none of their business and post anyways just cost your company money. So it does matter what you post.

I am not sitting in judgment. I have been in just my underwear and stuff around loads of people. But I have been crazy careful about what gets out online. You have to be. In the age of social media, if things get out, it can cost you.

19 | M | BI

Always Up For A Chat!

~ Seth
SethfromMI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 18th, 2018, 05:58 PM   #11
Uniquemind
VT Lover

I want to share this news link because it's relevant to this thread.

We might not agree with what it has to teach, but it's no less true. We don't have the leverage to make them ignore our wilder social media posts.

https://www.sfgate.com/news/article/...ns-3289805.php
Uniquemind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 14th, 2018, 03:22 PM   #12
Billy1212
Junior Member+

Name: Billy
Lightbulb Re: Embarrassing Facebook Pics at Job Interviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peitr View Post

Live and learn.
I think that's disgusting, if they see you don't like it, they should take it down.
I wouldn't want to work for dickheads like that personally
Billy1212 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 22nd, 2018, 03:01 PM   #13
Bleppo

Bleppo's Forum Picture

Name: Eli

I really hate how some employers just have no sense of humour simply because its what they think they should act like. Wish people were just a lil bit more light hearted ya know

Im very bored all the time, mesage me if you are also bored all the time
Bleppo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 22nd, 2018, 03:07 PM   #14
SethfromMI
Legendary Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleppo View Post
I really hate how some employers just have no sense of humour simply because its what they think they should act like. Wish people were just a lil bit more light hearted ya know
Employees are a representation of the company they work for. One of the reasons why people will get fired for making a racist comment (which was not the case here) is because the company does not want the public to think it is racist or supports racists. You might say, well ok, but that is an extreme example. In this case, they do not want to hire someone posting almost nude photos of themselves because they want to portray the highest image possible.

If you are going to take pictures like that, you are going to risk them getting out there and then you have to risk the chance they are going to decline you employment based on those pics. It may seem unfair but it is in reality their right to do so. They have a right to say who they want representing their company. You might say work is work and play is play. While somewhat true, the image of a person in their play could still effect the business and at the end of the day, to the CEO?whoever owns the company, that is what matters. Some might not care, some obviously do. This is why people need to be aware of who is taking pics of them in what situations.

19 | M | BI

Always Up For A Chat!

~ Seth
Old March 22nd, 2018, 03:11 PM   #15
Bleppo

Bleppo's Forum Picture

Quote:
Originally Posted by SethfromMI View Post
Employees are a representation of the company they work for. One of the reasons why people will get fired for making a racist comment (which was not the case here) is because the company does not want the public to think it is racist or supports racists. You might say, well ok, but that is an extreme example. In this case, they do not want to hire someone posting almost nude photos of themselves because they want to portray the highest image possible.

If you are going to take pictures like that, you are going to risk them getting out there and then you have to risk the chance they are going to decline you employment based on those pics. It may seem unfair but it is in reality their right to do so. They have a right to say who they want representing their company. You might say work is work and play is play. While somewhat true, the image of a person in their play could still effect the business and at the end of the day, to the CEO?whoever owns the company, that is what matters. Some might not care, some obviously do. This is why people need to be aware of who is taking pics of them in what situations.
I guess i understand it a bit more, but idk i just feel like itd just a be a funny anecdote if i were the employer, but i am horribly unknowledgable about this stuff but thanks for explainin it for me

Old March 22nd, 2018, 03:16 PM   #16
SethfromMI
Legendary Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleppo View Post
I guess i understand it a bit more, but idk i just feel like itd just a be a funny anecdote if i were the employer, but i am horribly unknowledgable about this stuff but thanks for explainin it for me
No problem. I really do understand where you are coming from, I really do, but it is the way things work. I know people take pics like that all the time and think nothing of it. I get it, I do, in the moment, many people don't. but it could always come up to haunt people. That is why if I am at a party or something where I know clothes are coming off or something, we usually have someone collect phones at the door or whatever so no one can take pictures. It seems funny and whatever in the moment and while it is possible nothing would ever come from it, it could. It is like posting on Facebook and complaining about work. People have gotten fired for that because of the damage it can do to the company.

19 | M | BI

Always Up For A Chat!

~ Seth
Old March 22nd, 2018, 03:27 PM   #17
Bleppo

Bleppo's Forum Picture

Quote:
Originally Posted by SethfromMI View Post
No problem. I really do understand where you are coming from, I really do, but it is the way things work. I know people take pics like that all the time and think nothing of it. I get it, I do, in the moment, many people don't. but it could always come up to haunt people. That is why if I am at a party or something where I know clothes are coming off or something, we usually have someone collect phones at the door or whatever so no one can take pictures. It seems funny and whatever in the moment and while it is possible nothing would ever come from it, it could. It is like posting on Facebook and complaining about work. People have gotten fired for that because of the damage it can do to the company.
I dont personally do any of that stuff anyway so i guess ill be good, never know people got fired for that sorta stuff tho

Old March 29th, 2018, 10:50 PM   #18
Rendez-Vous

Rendez-Vous's Forum Picture

Name: Oleg

Personally, I have two accounts: one for creating a "good image of myself" and the other for daily use. I don't post anything that might sound offensive or rude on the first page, I don't swear and I don't upload anything that might be used against me on that page too. My second page has a fake surname, so there's a little chance it could be traced to me(I don't post any photos publicly there though).
A friend of mine just has only one account: the one with a fake surname and profile pic closed for public(not sure about that though) - so his employer wouldn't find out what he post/comment.
Rendez-Vous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 6th, 2018, 10:44 PM   #19
Jonhyboy01

Jonhyboy01's Forum Picture

Name: Jonathan

My parents post the weirdest photos of me on their Facebook but when friends of mine without warning comment about how cute I was as a kid it's kinda warming. I created a spam account on Instagram and now I have embraced my childhood pics.
Jonhyboy01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 7th, 2018, 06:54 PM   #20
Ellia
Member+

Ellia's Forum Picture

Name: Ella

I don't even have a facebook or any social media aside from reddit, I value privacy too much. At least there I can be anonymous.
Ellia is offline   Reply With Quote