Virtual Teen Forums

Go Back   Virtual Teen Forums > >
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read Chat Room

Old December 23rd, 2017, 10:38 PM   #1
Sevun

Sevun's Forum Picture

Default University trouble

Hey,
What universities do you want to go to? I do want to go overseas away from my parents and go to this awesome university (IMAGINE HARVARD?!) but it's bloody expensive. I want to get a job so that I can save up for a good uni (Australia has heaps but I do want to go overseas... I'll probably learn to appreciate my parents and stay within Australia but who knows if my opinion will change), but getting a job is very effort and time costly.
1. What places traditionally have decent pay and look good on a resume?
2. Does anyone share the same struggle as I do?

Do you know anyone who went to an Ivy League college? Did they pay or get a scholarship?
Sevun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 24th, 2017, 11:18 AM   #2
Just JT
VT Lover

Just JT's Forum Picture

Name: JT
Default Re: University trouble

I havenít really thought about college yet. Iím still a couple years away from that. But thought Iíd probably start at the local community college. Then probably a state university I guess?

My ex goes to penn state. Thatís a pretty cool place. Not sure thatís ivy league or not
I know I wonít go to an Iíve league I just donít have that kinda cash

Voted most likely to wind up in jail
2017 VT Awards
Just JT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 24th, 2017, 12:06 PM   #3
Jaffe
Awesome Poster

Jaffe's Forum Picture

Name: Jaffe

I try not to think too much about university. Difficult enough to make it to the end of this school year.

That said, one MUST at least consider it occasionally. I do not really know what kind of secondary education I will qualify for, since my high school education was in the USA and the school systems are quite different. In the Netherlands, once chooses at 12 years of age, what 'type' of high school to attend, and which type of high school then determines which type of post-school education. Unfortunately, I have taken none of the required exams along the way for placement here, nor needed to select a specific line of study, so do not even know if I qualify. In fact, I likely would not even qualify for high school here.

If you are serious about wanting to go overseas, have you looked at universities in northern Europe? There are universities in the Netherlands that teach in English, and even as a foreigner, you might get financial assistance.

Edited to add:
What do you want to study? Depending on the subject, some EU universities offer free education to foreigners, to attract people into certain fields. Some require a work commitment afterward, some do not.

If you are paying tuition as an Aussie, you will probably pay about €10.000 per year for tuition.

Last edited by Jaffe; December 24th, 2017 at 12:16 PM.
Jaffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 24th, 2017, 05:29 PM   #4
BlackParadePixie
hello beautiful

BlackParadePixie's Forum Picture

Name: Fiona

I'm more concerned with where to go and get a good education, and not so much where I am located in relation to my parents. I've looked at schools here locally, and also out of my city and state...and have found many good ones. So I guess I have options when it comes down to where I actually get accepted. I'm not in a super hurry to leave home though, but will leave if I feel that is my best option.

18 - f - Wes Anderson fan - proud Italian-American - future UCLA Bruin

But for now we are young
Let us lay in the sun
and count every beautiful thing we can see

BlackParadePixie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old December 28th, 2017, 01:53 AM   #5
Sevun

Sevun's Forum Picture

bump

NEW QUESTION: IN YOUR EXPERIENCE, WOULD YOU GO TO A DOMESTIC OR INTERNATIONAL UNI, IN THE CASE THAT THE INTERNATIONAL UNI IS SUPER DUPER GOOD AND THE DOMESTIC UNI IS PRETTY GOOD, JUST NOT AS GOOD AS THE INTERNATIONAL ONE (BUT IT'S CLOSER TO FAMILY AND FRIENDS)?

I'm suffering my quarter-life crisis 10 years premature but hopefully I'll find a way and be ok. Don't be afraid to chat, I'm open to every experience and opinion!
Old December 28th, 2017, 02:37 AM   #6
Fritz
Member++

Fritz's Forum Picture

Name: Sven

Ive really wanted to go to Oxford since I was littler, that would be very cool. And even though its not a university, i really want to go to Eton College, but thats up to my dad

Just a person who loves to play and watch sports.

Ravioli Ravioli Give Me the Formuoli
Fritz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 28th, 2017, 03:03 AM   #7
lliam
Awesome Poster

lliam's Forum Picture

Name: Liam
Location: The road opposite the big lake on the island in front of the big city on the mainland.

I'm currently overseas. I'm in my junior year at high school and have college courses. It's no question that I'ill also study abroad. Kinda family tradition. But it's just a question of which country that'll be. My dad agrees with my counselor at school that it's best to study where I'm right now.

However, there's still my girlfriend. She would rather see me study there, where she lives. That would be in the UK. Couldn't convince her to study abroad, even her parents would support it, if she wants to.

Many decisions to make ... and almost half a year from two years has passed. Time seems to be running.

"Life is that prison you'll never leave alive."

lliam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 29th, 2017, 05:12 PM   #8
Martainfey96
Member+

Martainfey96's Forum Picture

Dont worry about where you get your degree, employers focus more on experiences. If you really want to go to a certain university and can't afford it don't waste your time working now, focus on your studies and pay off loans in the future!
Martainfey96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 29th, 2017, 09:35 PM   #9
Sevun

Sevun's Forum Picture

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ambienttech98 View Post
Dont worry about where you get your degree, employers focus more on experiences. If you really want to go to a certain university and can't afford it don't waste your time working now, focus on your studies and pay off loans in the future!
So don't bother taking a job? Couldn't that be valuable to resumes?
Thanks for your motivation

I'm suffering my quarter-life crisis 10 years premature but hopefully I'll find a way and be ok. Don't be afraid to chat, I'm open to every experience and opinion!
Old December 29th, 2017, 10:30 PM   #10
Martainfey96
Member+

Martainfey96's Forum Picture

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sevun View Post
So don't bother taking a job? Couldn't that be valuable to resumes?
Thanks for your motivation
A part time job is great for resumes, however, a lot of students take too many hours per week and don't focus on their studies! I would only work a max of 16 hours a week during school and work full time hours on breaks
Martainfey96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 1st, 2018, 07:17 PM   #11
Foamy
The Squirrel King

Foamy's Forum Picture

Name: Justin

Quote:
Hey,
What universities do you want to go to? I do want to go overseas away from my parents and go to this awesome university (IMAGINE HARVARD?!) but it's bloody expensive. I want to get a job so that I can save up for a good uni (Australia has heaps but I do want to go overseas... I'll probably learn to appreciate my parents and stay within Australia but who knows if my opinion will change), but getting a job is very effort and time costly.
1. What places traditionally have decent pay and look good on a resume?
2. Does anyone share the same struggle as I do?

Do you know anyone who went to an Ivy League college? Did they pay or get a scholarship?
Quote:
bump

NEW QUESTION: IN YOUR EXPERIENCE, WOULD YOU GO TO A DOMESTIC OR INTERNATIONAL UNI, IN THE CASE THAT THE INTERNATIONAL UNI IS SUPER DUPER GOOD AND THE DOMESTIC UNI IS PRETTY GOOD, JUST NOT AS GOOD AS THE INTERNATIONAL ONE (BUT IT'S CLOSER TO FAMILY AND FRIENDS)?
So, as I'm in uni and prepared to graduate with my bachelor's in may (*screaming*) my first question to you would be: what do you want to pursue studies in? That should be your first thought - once you have decided on a major(s) then you should look at schools that have good programs in what you want to study. Depending on the program, the local school might be better than an Ivy overseas.

Secondly: Make sure your finances are in order. If you know you'll have to take on loans and debt, just be prepared. If you can go for free at other schools and money is an issue, it might be a wise choice to end up taking the cheaper alternative instead of a more expensive one that might leave you struggling financially.

Thirdly: My personal experience: I took on the debt to go to a school that ended up getting me (arguably) the best financial aid package, between the government loans and the school scholarships. I couldn't be happier with my education, and it has led me to be fairly confident that I could pursue a PhD in my field, so thats what I;m planning on doing next year. PhD programs, in case you were unaware, typically pay you a stipend as well as waiving most or all of tuition. However, that involves at least the 4-year Bachelor's (and sometimes Masters as well) beforehand.

In regards to your second question - I refer you to above. Sometimes the super duper good school might be too expensive, or maybe its not the right school for your program. If you anticipate being homesick often, maybe dont push overseas too much and stick around for undergraduate. Ultimately, follow your heart, as you will know what you want the most when the opportunity is put in front of you.

Good luck with the college searching!

I just had a nice bowl of mac n cheese.
Foamy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 2nd, 2018, 05:09 AM   #12
Sevun

Sevun's Forum Picture

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foamy View Post
So, as I'm in uni and prepared to graduate with my bachelor's in may (*screaming*) my first question to you would be: what do you want to pursue studies in? That should be your first thought - once you have decided on a major(s) then you should look at schools that have good programs in what you want to study. Depending on the program, the local school might be better than an Ivy overseas.

Secondly: Make sure your finances are in order. If you know you'll have to take on loans and debt, just be prepared. If you can go for free at other schools and money is an issue, it might be a wise choice to end up taking the cheaper alternative instead of a more expensive one that might leave you struggling financially.

Thirdly: My personal experience: I took on the debt to go to a school that ended up getting me (arguably) the best financial aid package, between the government loans and the school scholarships. I couldn't be happier with my education, and it has led me to be fairly confident that I could pursue a PhD in my field, so thats what I;m planning on doing next year. PhD programs, in case you were unaware, typically pay you a stipend as well as waiving most or all of tuition. However, that involves at least the 4-year Bachelor's (and sometimes Masters as well) beforehand.

In regards to your second question - I refer you to above. Sometimes the super duper good school might be too expensive, or maybe its not the right school for your program. If you anticipate being homesick often, maybe dont push overseas too much and stick around for undergraduate. Ultimately, follow your heart, as you will know what you want the most when the opportunity is put in front of you.

Good luck with the college searching!

DUDE! YOU ARE AWESOME! THANK YOU FOR THE AWESOME RESPONSE were you the one pursuing microbiology or something? I read something like this in another thread...

Old January 2nd, 2018, 11:02 AM   #13
Foamy
The Squirrel King

Foamy's Forum Picture

Name: Justin

Quote:
DUDE! YOU ARE AWESOME! THANK YOU FOR THE AWESOME RESPONSE were you the one pursuing microbiology or something? I read something like this in another thread...
Organic chemistry, maybe you saw it somewhere idk

And youíre welcome

I just had a nice bowl of mac n cheese.
Foamy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 2nd, 2018, 05:15 PM   #14
Sevun

Sevun's Forum Picture

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foamy View Post
Organic chemistry, maybe you saw it somewhere idk

And youíre welcome
oh yeah, sorry, yep that's right organic chemistry!