Virtual Teen Forums

Go Back   Virtual Teen Forums > >
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read Chat Room

Old December 9th, 2017, 04:38 PM   #21
Sword of the morning
Junior Member+

Sword of the morning's Forum Picture

Name: Pacey
Default Re: Americans, why not vote third party?

Being a Republican i really can't complain about how my party's underrepresented. I think it's manly to how reported they are. You don't see any commercials for the communist party or for the green party. QRepublicans and democrats spend tremondos amounts on ads but other party's don't. I think each party should have a set amount of money to campaign and you would see America's views better represented.
Sword of the morning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 10th, 2017, 12:47 AM   #22
mattsmith48
VT Lover

Name: matt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sword of the morning View Post
Being a Republican i really can't complain about how my party's underrepresented. I think it's manly to how reported they are. You don't see any commercials for the communist party or for the green party. QRepublicans and democrats spend tremondos amounts on ads but other party's don't. I think each party should have a set amount of money to campaign and you would see America's views better represented.
People would still not vote for them because they would be scared or don't want one of the major party to get in.

Straight Canadian boy
feel free to pm me will talk about anything
mattsmith48 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old December 10th, 2017, 11:48 AM   #23
Sword of the morning
Junior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattsmith48 View Post
People would still not vote for them because they would be scared or don't want one of the major party to get in.
What would they have to be afraid of?
Old December 10th, 2017, 12:16 PM   #24
ShineintheDark
Nice Poster

Name: Magnus

Quote:
What would they have to be afraid of?
Splitting the vote. With the example of the most recent US election, most Greens, Libertarians and Dems greatly opposed Trump as president. Therefore, many people who may have voted Green or Libertarian under normal, less divisive circumstances, would have felt that voting any other party but Democrat would have done nothing but split the anti-Trump vote. I mean, I hate Hillary with a passion but even I would have voted for her if it meant preventing Trump from power.
ShineintheDark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 10th, 2017, 06:24 PM   #25
Sword of the morning
Junior Member+

I'm not sure that joining to behind one party to crush another is really helping democracy. It means leaving behind the party you support to help one you don't tottaly agree with. Seems more likely to further push them selves close to a 2 party system. The lesser of two evils is still evil.
Old December 10th, 2017, 08:18 PM   #26
Reezeee

Name: Reece

At this point a vote for a third party would just be a wasted vote

Bother me, tell me awful things. RIP LIL PEEP
Reezeee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 10th, 2017, 08:25 PM   #27
mattsmith48
VT Lover

Name: matt

@ShineintheDark @Sword of the morning Both parties are constantly trying to portrait the other as dangerous and crazy and this fear mongering as the effect of scaring off people from voting for a different party out of fear the crazy people will get in power.

Quote:
I'm not sure that joining to behind one party to crush another is really helping democracy. It means leaving behind the party you support to help one you don't tottaly agree with. Seems more likely to further push them selves close to a 2 party system. The lesser of two evils is still evil.
This is a direct result of FPTP and why you need to change the electoral system before thinking of voting for new parties. And it is even worst for the presidential election because of the requirement that to win you need 50% plus 1 of the electoral college votes.

Straight Canadian boy
feel free to pm me will talk about anything
mattsmith48 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old December 11th, 2017, 05:15 AM   #28
Stronk Serb
Kebab Remover

Stronk Serb's Forum Picture

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattsmith48 View Post
@ShineintheDark @Sword of the morning Both parties are constantly trying to portrait the other as dangerous and crazy and this fear mongering as the effect of scaring off people from voting for a different party out of fear the crazy people will get in power.

This is a direct result of FPTP and why you need to change the electoral system before thinking of voting for new parties. And it is even worst for the presidential election because of the requirement that to win you need 50% plus 1 of the electoral college votes.
The last part sucks majorly, that whole system is broken.

Also yeah, I totally get the idea of big bad x having a possibility to win, so you urge people to vote for big bad y because only y has a chance of stopping evil x. The same happened here in 2012. Now the opposition is fractured, while the "Progressives" strongarmed two thirds of the Parliament in their support.

Male/Serb nationalist/Centrist Authoritarian /Straight/Heliphobe
VT's most likely to become president of 2017
VT's leading expert on Slavology and anything Slavic-related, if you have some questions of Slavic nature, just send me a VM or a PM
Stronk Serb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 13th, 2017, 02:15 AM   #29
Uniquemind
VT Lover

The short answer is because there is not a third party with a lot of money backing it to compete with the other two.
Uniquemind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 15th, 2017, 02:53 PM   #30
Stronk Serb
Kebab Remover

Stronk Serb's Forum Picture

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uniquemind View Post
The short answer is because there is not a third party with a lot of money backing it to compete with the other two.
Not now, but if they get over some percentage of the popular vote, they get money from the state for their next election campaign.

Male/Serb nationalist/Centrist Authoritarian /Straight/Heliphobe
VT's most likely to become president of 2017
VT's leading expert on Slavology and anything Slavic-related, if you have some questions of Slavic nature, just send me a VM or a PM
Stronk Serb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 24th, 2017, 06:13 PM   #31
Jordan4557

Name: Jordan

I would vote 3rd party for sure. Might have a chance in the years to come. I think we're getting close.
Jordan4557 is offline   Reply With Quote