Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read Chat Room

Old November 25th, 2017, 12:19 AM   #21
SouthGeorgiaTeen

SouthGeorgiaTeen's Forum Picture

Name: Cedric
Default Re: Free will

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewLeafsFan View Post
I always believed in free will until recently when I had an interesting thought. If it's our choice to get married, and we decide not to get married, do we have a soul mate out there somewhere that will die alone because of our decision? I don't think so!
I think the whole idea of fate plays a role of that. Not everyone marries their soul mate. my grandparents are Baptist and got married when they were young. By the looks of them, they aren't each others soul mate.
So maybe they didn't find their soulmates because of a decision they made because of free will.

17, Bi, South Georgia
SouthGeorgiaTeen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 8th, 2017, 11:58 AM   #22
Nikki_1

Nikki_1's Forum Picture

Name: Nicola

This is such an interesting topic and the results can have either a positive or negative conclusion.
When God created Adam and Eve He didn't want them to be like robots that were pre-programmed to do His will so he gave them 'Free Will', He wanted them to enjoy life everlastingly on an earth that was a paradise.
Satan mislead Eve and she disobeyed Adam. On the other hand, Adam disobeyed God and this is why, by their own free will, we are suffering for their mistakes.

To end on a positive note, when instructed by God, Abraham offered his son Isac as a sacrifice, he didn't hold back even his beloved son and he did so out of his own free will and, by Abraham's subjection to God all the human race can have hope in our future for, in a parallel action God sent His only begotten son, Jesus Christ to give his perfect life as a ransom sacrifice, once and for all time. This paved the way for all mankind to regain what Adam lost for us.

Free will is indeed a powerful tool!!!
Nikki_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 20th, 2017, 08:25 PM   #23
Danieldv77
Junior Member+

In my opinion, thinking of whether we have free will or not is trivial;
If fate were really pulling the strings, what's the point of worrying about it, since all is destined to happen in the first place? Freedom from fate is the capability to make meaningful choices that impact the world around us differently, but if all choices were predetermined, we'd have no way to know, since we're still under the illusion that the choice still exists. Heck, the act of even worrying about it may have even been predestined, so the point is moot.

TL;DR, Live your life. It doesn't matter whether or not free will exists, so live as if it does and don't worry about if it doesn't, as, if so, your worrying was never going to change anything in the first place.
Danieldv77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 10th, 2018, 12:23 PM   #24
SurpremeLeader

SurpremeLeader's Forum Picture

Name: Henry

You actually 100% do have free will and 100% not in a sort of twisted paradox. Every moment, you do have 100% responsibility and power to choose from a set of decisions. However the catch is all your previous experiences, habits and patterns in their own way "decided" your decision.
SurpremeLeader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 11th, 2018, 06:19 AM   #25
NewLeafsFan
Awesome Poster

Name: Cedrick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikki_1 View Post
This is such an interesting topic and the results can have either a positive or negative conclusion.
When God created Adam and Eve He didn't want them to be like robots that were pre-programmed to do His will so he gave them 'Free Will', He wanted them to enjoy life everlastingly on an earth that was a paradise.
Satan mislead Eve and she disobeyed Adam. On the other hand, Adam disobeyed God and this is why, by their own free will, we are suffering for their mistakes.

To end on a positive note, when instructed by God, Abraham offered his son Isac as a sacrifice, he didn't hold back even his beloved son and he did so out of his own free will and, by Abraham's subjection to God all the human race can have hope in our future for, in a parallel action God sent His only begotten son, Jesus Christ to give his perfect life as a ransom sacrifice, once and for all time. This paved the way for all mankind to regain what Adam lost for us.

Free will is indeed a powerful tool!!!
Everything that you said is biblical. But everything that is in the bible could be true or it could be in their to make us think that we have freewill. For example, maybe we are taught that Eve ate the apple and that let evil into the world. Or maybe she was created and put through experiences by God that made her eat it. Maybe it was scripted from the beginning. As a Christian, I'm guessing that you believe God knows how and when the world will end. But you are arguing that God had no idea what Eve would do in that situation with the snake. God must have chosen to have her choose to or not to eat it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danieldv77 View Post
In my opinion, thinking of whether we have free will or not is trivial;
If fate were really pulling the strings, what's the point of worrying about it, since all is destined to happen in the first place? Freedom from fate is the capability to make meaningful choices that impact the world around us differently, but if all choices were predetermined, we'd have no way to know, since we're still under the illusion that the choice still exists. Heck, the act of even worrying about it may have even been predestined, so the point is moot.

TL;DR, Live your life. It doesn't matter whether or not free will exists, so live as if it does and don't worry about if it doesn't, as, if so, your worrying was never going to change anything in the first place.
I'm not saying that you shouldn't make smart decisions. I'm just saying that whether or not you make smart decisions is influenced by everything that you have been through. For example, I'm studying sport management because I want a career somewhere in the management department of a hockey team. I'm passionate about hockey because of how I was raised. I was also put in a situation where I was able to afford this education which happens to be located close to my house.

Canada / Sport Management (Hockey) Major / Straight / Left-Wing Progressive / 18 yrs old

Cedrick Desjardins
NewLeafsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 11th, 2018, 11:34 AM   #26
JustMyHumbleOpinion
Junior Member+

Name: Joshua

I honestly find the whole idea of god and fate very interesting and amusing.
So if god has a plan for us, why do innocent kids get tumors?
Why does millions of kids die of malaria?

I think with that if a "god" does exist he really has no input into our lives.
Why would god be behind that raise we just got at work when there is billions of dying kids out there in pain?

All in all, i think with the world its just luck.
People who just got a raise has just done the job really well and with a bit of luck they got a raise- God IMO has absolutely nothing to do with that.
JustMyHumbleOpinion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 12th, 2018, 04:30 AM   #27
NewLeafsFan
Awesome Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustMyHumbleOpinion View Post
I honestly find the whole idea of god and fate very interesting and amusing.
So if god has a plan for us, why do innocent kids get tumors?
Why does millions of kids die of malaria?

I think with that if a "god" does exist he really has no input into our lives.
Why would god be behind that raise we just got at work when there is billions of dying kids out there in pain?

All in all, i think with the world its just luck.
People who just got a raise has just done the job really well and with a bit of luck they got a raise- God IMO has absolutely nothing to do with that.
This is the way that I would look at that situation: people do the job well because they were raised to work hard and they get along well with their bosses.

Canada / Sport Management (Hockey) Major / Straight / Left-Wing Progressive / 18 yrs old

Cedrick Desjardins
Old February 17th, 2018, 05:41 AM   #28
Uniquemind
VT Lover

Quote:
I always believed in free will until recently when I had an interesting thought. If it's our choice to get married, and we decide not to get married, do we have a soul mate out there somewhere that will die alone because of our decision? I don't think so!
The concept of soul mates is not a Christian concept. It’s concept as well as the symbolism of halos, actually comes from Egypt from the twin-souls concept

Among more loyal and learned evangelical Christian views who recognize this, this is the reason for why they feel moderate Christianity is incorrect and it’s symbolism like Christmas and Easter are seen as corrupt false teachings of god.

——

The concept of monogamy also runs into problems as well as the old prophets did not practice it, yet did not lose favor in God’s eyes until one would break one of the 10 commandments (either they met the condition of adultery, or murder so as to allow death to claim the spouse of a woman they then took as a wife; David did this latter point with Bathsheba).

—-

Free will exists, but Fate-destiny does as well they aren’t not necessarily conflicting despite first glances and you begin to see how to two philosophies can co-exist when you read up on quantum mechanics.

You realize what this universe is made out of and what other types of universes might simultaneously exist in neighboring pockets of creation.

In such discussions such as these we also forget we’re looking at humanity through a vaccum and we forget that free will seems to have been a policy given to ALL creation, and this included at one time the angels who had rebellions of their own and either fell into two main camps: the elect, and the fallen.

Each decision one entity makes changes the available decisions the entity nearby can make, free will when put into play begins to be its own limiting factor. (I.e I can choose to see a movie , only if the movie theater decides to be open that day).

Group behavior becomes a variable in free will, it interlocks us into a codependent relationship.

Destiny is the broader holistic concept encompassing decisions taken and not taken and despite that getting the same end result according to his will.

Last edited by Uniquemind; February 17th, 2018 at 05:59 AM.
Uniquemind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 21st, 2018, 11:12 PM   #29
NewLeafsFan
Awesome Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uniquemind View Post
Each decision one entity makes changes the available decisions the entity nearby can make, free will when put into play begins to be its own limiting factor. (I.e I can choose to see a movie , only if the movie theater decides to be open that day).

Group behavior becomes a variable in free will, it interlocks us into a codependent relationship.

Destiny is the broader holistic concept encompassing decisions taken and not taken and despite that getting the same end result according to his will.
My argument to that would be if the theatre isn't open, how come? Is it a holiday? If so, what caused the holiday?

Cedrick Desjardins
Old February 22nd, 2018, 11:30 PM   #30
lliam
Awesome Poster

lliam's Forum Picture

Name: Liam
Location: The road opposite the big lake on the island in front of the big city on the mainland.

Quote:
If it's our choice to get married, and we decide not to get married, do we have a soul mate out there somewhere that will die alone because of our decision? I don't think so!

You can be sure that there are several soulmates to you all over the world. The thing is, you probably may never meet them.

But there are a lot more people who are almost compatible to you. Maybe for a lifetime, or only temporarily, because at some point, maybe they'll take a direction that you don't want follow.

To find a person who's your soulmate or even close to it, you have to choose to get to know as many people as possible on a bit cliser level. Most of the time we decide on a current solution, namely for a person we believe to be a such a kindred soul.

Well, until the opposite turns out.

But that has very little to do with free will, because we are more likely to follow a gut feeling, subliminal thinking processes where our sub-conscious makes decisions before we get aware of it.

"Life is that prison you'll never leave alive."

lliam is offline   Reply With Quote