Virtual Teen Forums

Go Back   Virtual Teen Forums > >
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read Chat Room

Old December 10th, 2017, 07:59 AM   #1
Kaeneus

Kaeneus's Forum Picture

Name: Lawrence
Default Old/Dead Religion?

For a long time I considered myself an athiest. However, after talking to a friend, I started to explore Norse asatru paganism (the worship of Thor, Loki, Odin, etc.)

I realise here that a lot of people think that's ridiculous. I mean, they're marvel characters. When I first heard about it my reaction was basically... what, that's a thing?

However, after reading about it and talking to my friend, it just... I don't know, started to resonate with me. I consumed so much knowledge and the other day I did my first blot (similar to a prayer).

I don't know how else to explain it other than it gives me peace. The idea of it makes me so happy in a way I haven't felt in hears, or about any other religion. However, I know if I were to actually... start practising, I would get called weird a lot. Hell, I still think it's kind of weird...

But I don't know how I can have the revelation, the feeling I had, and ever go back to calling myself an athiest again. I know my family would never get it, even though they were okay with me being an athiest, because this might just be a bit too weird.

Does anyone else follow a religion that's similar 'weird' or very separated from the mainstream?
Kaeneus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 10th, 2017, 08:17 AM   #2
Sailor Mars
Global Moderator

Sailor Mars's Forum Picture

Default Re: Old/Dead Religion?

I’m a Roman pagan, so I follow the gods that the planets n stuff are named after. It’s outdated, no one follows it anymore, and the first reaction I got out of my brother + his gf when I said that was a scoff and a Huh? Really?

It is unusual to follow a not universal religion these days, and I, personally, have a tendency to lose faith easily, but I don’t want to call myself an atheist. I know how you feel.

Bottom line is your faith, your morals, and your pride are things one cannot take from you. That is yours and yours only. If someone wants to make fun or be weirded out, let them. It is your faith to follow, not theirs.

"The head may err, but never the blood.
Nice salt pouch, asshole
barely getting bi

~Endeavour was here~
~Mike Was Here~
Elysium is the one tru brodie
Sailor Mars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 10th, 2017, 08:27 AM   #3
Kaeneus

Kaeneus's Forum Picture

Name: Lawrence

That's actually... really great to hear. I assumed if asatru was a thing, Roman Paganism must be too, but never figured I'd meet someone who practices it so soon/ easily!

You're right: Asatru makes me too happy to 'give it up' because of judgement. I know if I don't at least try, I'll feel like I'm betraying something in myself, like there's some path in my mind I haven't explored, to get all poetic and dramatic about it.

I'm very lucky to have my friend who practices it as at least one person who completely supports me, and she seems to manage herself perfectly well practising it and still functioning in the world.
Kaeneus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 10th, 2017, 09:01 AM   #4
Sailor Mars
Global Moderator

Sailor Mars's Forum Picture

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaeneus View Post
That's actually... really great to hear. I assumed if asatru was a thing, Roman Paganism must be too, but never figured I'd meet someone who practices it so soon/ easily!

You're right: Asatru makes me too happy to 'give it up' because of judgement. I know if I don't at least try, I'll feel like I'm betraying something in myself, like there's some path in my mind I haven't explored, to get all poetic and dramatic about it.

I'm very lucky to have my friend who practices it as at least one person who completely supports me, and she seems to manage herself perfectly well practising it and still functioning in the world.
Its a wonder who you can meet on the Internet, huh?

N yeah I get how you feel. Thinking about all the deities is kind of comforting in a way for me. Each part of nature, each part of man, each part of the world has a different god or goddess that rules over it.

Its nice you have a friend that practices with you tho

"The head may err, but never the blood.
Nice salt pouch, asshole
barely getting bi

~Endeavour was here~
~Mike Was Here~
Elysium is the one tru brodie
Sailor Mars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 10th, 2017, 12:19 PM   #5
ShineintheDark
Awesome Poster

Name: Magnus

I'm personally pretty agnostic but I'd say don't lose hope or faith. Anything that isn't popular is, by definition, 'weird' and so would naturally attract a fair amount of scorn and disbelief. That doesn't mean YOUR faith should be any less important or real to YOU.
ShineintheDark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 11th, 2017, 12:19 PM   #6
Nikki_1

Nikki_1's Forum Picture

Name: Nicola

Well, I think that most main stream religions actually drive people away rather than attract them. I don't believe there is a place called Hell.
For years I struggled with the thought that if I was naughty I would go to Hell where I would be tortured for eternity for my errors. I could never understand why a God of Love would treat someone like that, it seemed so unjust.
If you had a child and he or she did something that you didn't approve of would you torture them in a fire for ever? NO, you wouldn't, you would discipline them of course but not for ever!!! Then I found out that the word 'Hell' comes from the Hebrew word 'Gehenna' and the Greek work 'Hades' and these represent the common grave of mankind and thats all... no hellfire and torture for eternity just falling to sleep in death where there is no pain or suffering and its a place where we are all going eventually.
Nikki_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 11th, 2017, 12:51 PM   #7
Jinglebottom

Jinglebottom's Forum Picture

My "birth" religion could be classified as separated from the mainstream I suppose, but I don't practice it and have no interest in learning more about it.

General Discussions Moderator

PM - VM

*Mars was here*
Jinglebottom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 12th, 2017, 05:03 AM   #8
Stronk Serb
Kebab Remover

Stronk Serb's Forum Picture

There are many groups trying to revive the old religions. There is a Hellenic polytheist movement in Greece that is nearing recognition as an organized religion. Also there are many Germanic, Slavic and Celtic groups. It's fascinating to be honest.

Male/Serb nationalist/Centrist Authoritarian /Straight/Heliphobe
VT's most likely to become president of 2017
VT's leading expert on Slavology and anything Slavic-related, if you have some questions of Slavic nature, just send me a VM or a PM
Stronk Serb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 15th, 2017, 12:17 AM   #9
NewLeafsFan
Awesome Poster

Name: Cedrick

While I can't say that I totally understand or relate to your recent spiritual experience, who am I to judge? Personally, I think that the most important part of religion is to become at peace with yourself.

Since you think that mentioning it to your family would not be supportive and only react negatively why tell them? While I don't like to encourage people to hide who they are, I also don't see the need to advertise your recent faith change. As long as they are at peace with their religion, there is no reason to try to 'save' anyone or convert them.

Canada / Sport Management (Hockey) Major / Straight / Left-Wing Progressive / 18 yrs old

Cedrick Desjardins
NewLeafsFan is offline   Reply With Quote