Go Back   Virtual Teen Forums > >
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read Chat Room

Notices

Old October 21st, 2017, 10:05 PM   #1
SWEET_SARAH
Junior Member+

Name: SARAH
Default 13 reasons why series

Has anybody watched the series and what did you think about it? I watched the cutting sucide scene on youtube and it made me cringe. Thanks for any replies. -Sarah
SWEET_SARAH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 21st, 2017, 11:31 PM   #2
Dalcourt

Dalcourt's Forum Picture

Name: Peanut
Default Re: 13 reasons why series

I watched it with a friend who wanted to see it and honestly I don't really know what to think about it.
It's good to make a show to make people aware of these problems but same time I feel it was way to cliche and all.
Dalcourt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 22nd, 2017, 01:18 AM   #3
Sere
Member++

Sere's Forum Picture

Name: Sere

I feel exactly the same way as both of you. I like how they made a show for some awareness even though it was probably made for $$$
The whole thing seemed blegh and cliche so i didnt like it too much

Hello I'm Sere
If you wanna talk or need help on anything at all,
hit me up!
I used to be hjhj
Sere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 13th, 2017, 12:02 AM   #4
Adarest

The acting in the series were well done, but it felt boring. To hear about suicide here and there constantly, but great points were added into it. The series did bring some mystery and thrill just enough to keep you watching it, but not very exciting to say. I'd rate it a 3/5, but it is definitely something just checking out. If you really don't like the first episode, then let it be and just stop there.
Adarest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 10th, 2017, 06:48 PM   #5
Kaeneus

Kaeneus's Forum Picture

Name: Lawrence

I personally really didn't like 13 reason why, I think it hurt the very people it was claiming to try to help. The suicide scene was very very triggering for me and the series over all made me feel sick, and the story wasn't good enough in my opinion to warrant putting myself through that.
Kaeneus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 10th, 2017, 08:22 PM   #6
Reezeee

Name: Reece

The series pissed me off so much, especially when everyone was saying "we all killed her".. Some of those 13 people barely did anything negative to her.. yet they're taking the guilt of knowing they contributed to her death? Doesn't work like that.

Bother me, tell me awful things. RIP LIL PEEP
Reezeee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 10th, 2017, 10:54 PM   #7
Juliarules832
Member++

Name: Julia

I have heard about it but I never watched it.

13 year old girl from Massachusetts. Feel free to message me about anything!
Juliarules832 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 13th, 2017, 11:06 PM   #8
LunaHermione

LunaHermione's Forum Picture

Name: Amy

Honestly you should just read the book instead. That book has been my favourite book ever since it first came out years ago and I always hoped they'd make a series or movie about it. But now that they have I wish they hadn't. It was a real let down. They changed things from the book and made it seem less about Hannah and more about the others. Give the book a go, if you didn't enjoy the series I think you'll enjoy the book.

My wish to die is as pervasive as a dial tone; You lift the reciever, it's always there.
LunaHermione is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 13th, 2017, 11:15 PM   #9
SethfromMI
Legendary Member

SethfromMI's Forum Picture

Name: Seth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adarest View Post
The acting in the series were well done, but it felt boring. To hear about suicide here and there constantly, but great points were added into it. The series did bring some mystery and thrill just enough to keep you watching it, but not very exciting to say. I'd rate it a 3/5, but it is definitely something just checking out. If you really don't like the first episode, then let it be and just stop there.
See for me I didn't really start getting into it till the 3rd episode.

Not the greatest show, does have a number of cliches, but I def think it is worth watching and will watch the next season when it comes out.

19 | M | BI

Always Up For A Chat!

~ Seth
SethfromMI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 13th, 2017, 11:34 PM   #10
Juliarules832
Member++

I don't think I would like it

Old December 14th, 2017, 01:02 AM   #11
ncraw
Junior Member+

Name: Nate

It was entertaining but the message was very stupid. The only person that killed her was her. I am probably going to watch season 2. My school had a email go out to all the parents because students started flaunting their mental illness and even some suicide attempts. There was one girl (really popular mean girl type) who tried to kill herself and she posted a suicide note on facebook which said she wanted to show everyone what they did to her. It triggered a lot of people into being depressed when they weren't really depressed.

13 / USA (GA + CA) / Bi

Message me if you like Im always open for a chat.
ncraw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 14th, 2017, 04:44 PM   #12
Juliarules832
Member++

Our school had to send out a message about it too.

Old December 14th, 2017, 07:25 PM   #13
SethfromMI
Legendary Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncraw View Post
It was entertaining but the message was very stupid. The only person that killed her was her. I am probably going to watch season 2. My school had a email go out to all the parents because students started flaunting their mental illness and even some suicide attempts. There was one girl (really popular mean girl type) who tried to kill herself and she posted a suicide note on facebook which said she wanted to show everyone what they did to her. It triggered a lot of people into being depressed when they weren't really depressed.
I figured it would trigger some attempts, but if I can respectfully say, I don't think someone would try to kill themselves for the fun of it or just because they saw it. Usually there is something pretty serious going on for a person to get to that point. Now, I think it can be fair to argue maybe the show put the thought into their head, but we shouldn't assume they were perfectly fine and decided to try to kill themselves just because they watched the show when everything else was going "well" for them. just my thought.

19 | M | BI

Always Up For A Chat!

~ Seth
Old December 14th, 2017, 08:53 PM   #14
Juliarules832
Member++

A show seems like a weird trigger for an attempt.

Old December 14th, 2017, 08:57 PM   #15
SethfromMI
Legendary Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juliarules832 View Post
A show seems like a weird trigger for an attempt.
It's happened more often than you think. I read an old article when the first Pirate of the Caribbean movie came out, a boy accidentally hung himself trying to do that stunt with the rope Johnny Depp did. For someone who is depressed, they may watch the show, watch Hannah did and could come to the conclusion which Hannah did: that is the way to end their suffering. Obviously, it is not what someone should do, but it sadly does happen more often than what one thinks. I see what your saying, clearly not everyone is going to be influenced the same way, in fact, you can even argue the majority wouldn't. but I do understand and know for some people, it would give them the idea to kill themselves. It is very sad of course, but it can and does happen.

19 | M | BI

Always Up For A Chat!

~ Seth
Old December 14th, 2017, 09:00 PM   #16
Juliarules832
Member++

Quote:
Originally Posted by SethfromMI View Post
It's happened more often than you think. I read an old article when the first Pirate of the Caribbean movie came out, a boy accidentally hung himself trying to do that stunt with the rope Johnny Depp did. For someone who is depressed, they may watch the show, watch Hannah did and could come to the conclusion which Hannah did: that is the way to end their suffering. Obviously, it is not what someone should do, but it sadly does happen more often than what one thinks. I see what your saying, clearly not everyone is going to be influenced the same way, in fact, you can even argue the majority wouldn't. but I do understand and know for some people, it would give them the idea to kill themselves. It is very sad of course, but it can and does happen.
ya true.I mean I understand what it is like to feel like that so I should not judge.

Old December 14th, 2017, 09:05 PM   #17
SethfromMI
Legendary Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juliarules832 View Post
ya true.I mean I understand what it is like to feel like that so I should not judge.
I certainly wasn't accusing you of that Studying Psychology, it is interesting to see how many things can trigger the human mind into thinking about this and that or even doing this and that. 13 Reasons Why certainly never intended for anyone to try to do what Hannah does in the series. In fact, I would argue by actually showing what she does, they were probably trying to deter people from doing it. Yet, people who are depressed (as it sadly sounds like you know) don't always think normally. If it sadly gets to a point they may look for a way out. That is why I would not recommend everyone watch it. I think why the series did do a good job at showing what can happen to those who are left behind, who have to deal with the suicide, some people wouldn't be in the right mind frame to watch it. Just my humble opinion anyways.

19 | M | BI

Always Up For A Chat!

~ Seth
Old December 15th, 2017, 09:16 PM   #18
Bhannon

Bhannon's Forum Picture

It's already been said thousands of times, but it's glamorizing suicide. Hannah Baker was a prick, she blamed everyone else for her inevitable "suicide." Fucking disgusting.
Bhannon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old December 15th, 2017, 10:42 PM   #19
Juliarules832
Member++

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bhannon View Post
It's already been said thousands of times, but it's glamorizing suicide. Hannah Baker was a prick, she blamed everyone else for her inevitable "suicide." Fucking disgusting.
You are actually not the first person I have heard say that.

Old Yesterday, 03:50 PM   #20
Fritz
Member+

Fritz's Forum Picture

Name: Sven

Ive heard about it, but ive never watched it

Just a person who loves to play and watch sports.
"Orgy-porgy!"
Fritz is offline   Reply With Quote