Virtual Teen Forums

Go Back   Virtual Teen Forums > >
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read Chat Room

Old November 8th, 2017, 01:54 PM   #1
ambitious_eclipse

ambitious_eclipse's Forum Picture

Name: Ambition
Default Kicked out.

I got kicked out of my mom's house and went to live with my piece-of-crap dad.

But living with him was actually...really nice. I kinda dislike my dad less than my mom. But my mom says since my grades are dropping (I had two really hard tests in those few weeks that killed me...) she wants me back at her house.

But I like living with my dad! Advice?
ambitious_eclipse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 8th, 2017, 05:32 PM   #2
Harrier
Awesome Poster

Default Re: Kicked out.

Be honest. Speak to both of them together if possible. Court may have to get involved to make it official to live with dad. Idk. Maybe talk to your school counselor too. Your counselor may be able to explain to your mom about the hard tests. Hope it works out!
Harrier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 9th, 2017, 11:12 AM   #3
mick01
Great Poster

mick01's Forum Picture

Name: Mick

I think you need to be as honest as possible with yourself since your future depends on it. Would you have gotten the same grades on the tests if you were still living with your mom? And, do you have the same study habits at your dad's that you did at your mom's?
mick01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 9th, 2017, 11:36 AM   #4
ambitious_eclipse

Quote:
Originally Posted by mick01 View Post
I think you need to be as honest as possible with yourself since your future depends on it. Would you have gotten the same grades on the tests if you were still living with your mom? And, do you have the same study habits at your dad's that you did at your mom's?
Study habits are a bit different at my dad's because his schedule is different, his apartment setup is different, and it's a bit overwhelming to get used to at first. But by the third week, I'd say I was doing okay. I think the reason I got such bad grades on those tests is because I was upset about being kicked out, as anyone would be in the same situation. Plus the tests were genuinely hard...they were in AP Calculus and Environmental Ed (which is an easy class, but this time around he tested us on animal vocalizations, which we had only heard like once, and we weren't expected to study them...)

If we're being honest, I'm failing calculus. But my dad seems to put a lot more effort into doing problems with me and trying to understand it WITH me, instead of just teaching me once in complicated terms and letting me loose with no more help like my stepdad at my mom's house does.

My dad also lives alone, with a low-maintenance dog and that's it. So when I'm with him, it's not like he has anything else to take care of, save for getting us both fed, and the occasional going out for a beer with a friend. But with my mom? I live in an apartment with 6 people (mom, stepdad, siblings) and 2 cats (who I'm in charge of). My 14-year-old sister is extremely mentally ill and my parents are constantly trying to keep her from throwing temper tantrums. Plus we have little ones who need attention, diaper changes, naps, food...it's a lot of responsibility for 2 parents. They barely have time to help me, and oftentimes I'm also helping with the little ones. It's a terrible study environment. The only place to study is the dining room table, but it's right next to the living room, where the little ones are always listening to annoying toddler music or watching Blue's Clues or something like that.

It's a lot easier at my dad's. When I'm studying, he always either helps me, or he'll use headphones if he's watching videos so he doesn't distract me. Our dining room table is small, but it's a good study space. Has a light right above it so I can see and stuff.

Also, at my mom's, I'm not allowed to cosplay (that is, dress up like fictional characters). But at my dad's, he supports my hobby. When I'm in cosplay or even just talking about it, I'm really happy. Just being allowed to do this really weird thing puts me at ease. It gives me something to look forward to. For example, after I'm done with homework, I can put on makeup and a wig and a costume and get ready for conventions and talk to my cosplay friends on Instagram and stuff! It's really good motivation fuel and I wish my mom understood WHY it makes me feel the way I do. I won't explain it all here since it's irrelevant. She just thinks it's "all I do" and it's "ruining my grades" and it's "just plain weird". Sure, it's weird, but everyone's a little weird, right? This is my niche.

So...yeah. That's a rundown of my situation right now.
Old November 9th, 2017, 01:56 PM   #5
swimjoey1
Member++

Name: Joey

You should talk to both of your parents. From what you have said I think you should stay with your dad. He seems more interested in you and understands you.thats what I would do if that helps.
swimjoey1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old November 9th, 2017, 06:41 PM   #6
mick01
Great Poster

mick01's Forum Picture

Name: Mick

Great description, dude, of what's going on. Ya, like Joey said, you need to get both parents together. It does really sound like you're better off with your dad, especially if he's cool with you staying there.
mick01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 9th, 2017, 07:05 PM   #7
Dmaxd123
Member+

honestly sounds like your mom is missing your help and will use your grades as an excuse.

I would try to stay with your dad as it just sounds like a healthier environment and should actually be able to help your grades by staying there since once you fully adjust(ish) you won't have as many distractions
Dmaxd123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 9th, 2017, 08:33 PM   #8
jamie_n5
VT Lover

jamie_n5's Forum Picture

Name: Jamie

I agree with the others that you need to talk to both parents and then tell them who you prefer to stay with and why. Also promise both of them that you will work as hard as you can in school to get good grades.

I am gay and happy with that.
I love talking to people very open & willing to listen.
I am also glad to try help with questions or problems.
Hit me up for anything. I promise I don't bite.
jamie_n5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 11th, 2017, 10:57 PM   #9
SingerInTraining

SingerInTraining's Forum Picture

Name: Aiden

It sounds like you don't like either of your parents. You said your mom kicked you out of the house. Now because you failed two tests she wants you to come back. That sounds to me like she's blaming your father and using you for the pawn. Is that why you don't like either of them? Is it possible for you to live with your grandparents for a while til everything is settled?
SingerInTraining is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 14th, 2017, 01:03 PM   #10
ambitious_eclipse

Quote:
Originally Posted by SingerInTraining View Post
It sounds like you don't like either of your parents. You said your mom kicked you out of the house. Now because you failed two tests she wants you to come back. That sounds to me like she's blaming your father and using you for the pawn. Is that why you don't like either of them? Is it possible for you to live with your grandparents for a while til everything is settled?

Honestly I agree. But my grandma just had surgery and money is really tight and she lives far from my school...all other grandparents either live far away or don't have space for me.
Old November 15th, 2017, 04:06 PM   #11
Adarest

Is there a private room you could study without your siblings bothering you? It just sounds like you have no peace wherever you are at. Children bother you in your father's house, but your mother still bothers you about your grades anyway, so both houses are pretty awful. Since the living conditions are just fine, its not like you could call cps. So, I think the mother is the best choice if you could have alone time in your room, without her coming in. But you'll have to sacrifice your love for cosplay. I would love to take pics of cosplayers if I could, too. D:
Adarest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 16th, 2017, 10:21 PM   #12
Just JT
sure, ask, dare you

Just JT's Forum Picture

Name: JT

Piece of crap Dad you dislike less who helps you do your homework, is respectful of the time and space you need to do your work, and makes/has time for you.

Dude you got a good Dad, one who obviously loves you, you know how lucky you are? To even have a Dad let alone one like that?

Mom kicks you out cause of some bad grades?

Sorry, I got no use for my mom either, but tbh, just look at those facts you said. Seems pretty clear whats best for you, and you need to male that decision for whats best for you

But both Mom and Dad need to hear that from you
Just JT is offline   Reply With Quote