Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read Chat Room

Old November 5th, 2017, 06:40 PM   #1
PinkFloyd
Steve Jobs' Bitch

PinkFloyd's Forum Picture

Name: Rob
Default Texas Church Shooting Leaves at Least 25 Dead

Quote:
SUTHERLAND SPRINGS, Tex. — A gunman walked into a small Baptist church in rural Texas on Sunday and opened fire, killing at least 25 people and turning a tiny town east of San Antonio into the scene of the country’s most recent mass horror.

Representative Henry Cuellar of Texas confirmed the death toll, which has steadily increased throughout the day after the shooting at the First Baptist Church of Sutherland Springs. He said a pregnant woman and children were among the dead.

Two law enforcement sources, who spoke on the condition of anonymity because of the continuing investigation, identified the gunman as Devin P. Kelley, 26.

Mr. Cuellar, who said he was briefed by law enforcement authorities, said the gunman came from Comal County, which is northeast of San Antonio.

“He went there, he walked in, started shooting people and then took off” to Guadalupe County, which is northeast of Sutherland Springs, he said.
Albert Gamez Jr., a Wilson County commissioner, told CNN Sutherland Springs is a small community where everyone knows one another.

He said: “You never expect something like this. My heart is broken.”

The unincorporated community has a population that numbers in the low hundreds — the 2000 census was 362, according to the Texas State Historical Association. The preliminary death toll would amount to about 7 percent of the population.

The service at the church last Sunday, which was posted on YouTube, began with a rendition of a song called “Happiness Is the Lord.”

Then the pastor, Frank Pomeroy, told his parishioners — 20 to 30 were visible in the video — to walk around the room and “shake somebody’s hand.”

“Tell them it’s good to see them in God’s house this morning,” he said.
A parishioner, Sandy Ward, said in an interview on Sunday that a daughter-in-law and three of her grandchildren were shot. Her grandson, who is 5, was shot four times and remained in surgery as of Sunday night. She said she was awaiting word on her other family members.

Ms. Ward said she did not attend services on Sunday because of her troubled knees and a bad hip. “I just started praying for everybody who was there” when she learned of the shooting, she said.

Joseph Silva, 49, who lives about five miles northeast of Sutherland Springs, said the police had instructed his family and neighbors to stay indoors.

In a phone interview on Sunday afternoon, he described Sutherland Springs as “a one-blinking-light town.”

“There is a gas station and a post office,” he said. “That’s about all there really is.”

Mr. Silva said he had been approached by a woman who said she had two loved ones at the church who were shot.
“There are a number of individuals just weeping and just wanted to know what’s happened to their loved ones,” he said. “Everybody is pretty grief-stricken. Everyone’s worried.”

The First Baptist Church of La Vernia, Tex., about seven miles away, wrote on Facebook that it would open its doors from 5 to 7 p.m.

“Today an unthinkable tragedy occurred in our community,” the church wrote. “There will be pastors and leaders present to pray with you or to talk, and the altar will be open for us to fall at the feet of Jesus.”

President Trump, who was in Japan on a trip to several Asian countries, offered his support.
Yet another mass shooting in the U S of A... The pain doesn't ever stop.

"My mother would say to me, 'Look for the helpers. You will always find people who are helping." — Fred Rogers
PinkFloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 5th, 2017, 07:31 PM   #2
Dalcourt
VT Lover

Dalcourt's Forum Picture

Name: Peanut
Default Re: Texas Church Shooting Leaves at Least 25 Dead

This is really sad and horrifying.
Dalcourt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 5th, 2017, 09:12 PM   #3
Mars
Global Moderator

Mars's Forum Picture

Fucking lunatics...

Rest In Peace to all those who died in this terrorist attack... praying for the families You’re right, @PlasmaHam, the pain doesn’t stop.

"The head may err, but never the blood.”
Nice salt pouch, asshole
Quote:
Originally Posted by StoppingTom View Post
so if he pulls these shenanigans again, I'm whipping out the long dick of the law on him

~Endeavour was here~
~Mike Was Here~
Mars is online now   Reply With Quote
Old November 5th, 2017, 10:45 PM   #4
PlasmaHam
Awesome Poster

PlasmaHam's Forum Picture

Very sad event. Hits close to home, as this could very easily could have been me and my family at church this morning. Oddly enough during church this morning I was actually thinking about what I would do if someone came in and started shooting up the place. I dismissed the possibility as far-fetched, unlikely to ever happen. But then to come home, and see that 20+ people from a small Baptist church, not much different than my own, dead while peacefully worshiping at church, it really puts everything into perspective. As the Bible says, our life is just a vapor, but it is nevertheless such a precious vapor. To see someone with such hatred and such casual disdain for human life quickly end 26 of those lives, in a church of all places, its just crazy. Crazy and sad, crazy and sad.

Tonight my church did a special prayer for the Texans lost today. Hopefully they knew Jesus, for even though they had such a violent end to their lives, we can take comfort in the fact that they are in a better place now.
PlasmaHam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 6th, 2017, 04:50 AM   #5
Living For Love
VT Lover

Living For Love's Forum Picture

Name: Tiago

We're still not sure if it was a terrorist attack or not, most probably another lone wolf. It's so horrible, though, first Nevada and now Texas. You'd expect things like this to happen in populated places, but this was just a small church in a small town. Truly heartbreaking...

Tiago | ♂ | 20 | PM | VM | Ask Me | Lonely Hearts Club

Help and Advice Moderator

~Mike was here~
Living For Love is online now   Reply With Quote
Old November 6th, 2017, 10:25 AM   #6
Snowfox
Member+

Name: Pyry

I heard that gunman was member or symphatizer of antifa.
Snowfox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 6th, 2017, 11:45 AM   #7
bojack
Member++

bojack's Forum Picture

Name: Luke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowfox View Post
I heard that gunman was member or symphatizer of antifa.
Two things: one, you can't be a member of "antifa", its not a single group. two, there's literally nothing to indicate that thats true, at all.

Open to talk about anything anytime. huge nerd/really into video games and music. bi-curious
Changed my username, used to be thedudejr
bojack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 6th, 2017, 01:47 PM   #8
Snowfox
Member+

Name: Pyry

Quote:
Originally Posted by bojack View Post
Two things: one, you can't be a member of "antifa", its not a single group. two, there's literally nothing to indicate that thats true, at all.
I read it after schoolmate told me about it. It was infowars or something. anyway some american media. Also MV (finnish web media) reported about it.

Antifa is bit like Al Qaida just commie version of it. They hate liberty and white skinned people out of principle.
Snowfox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 6th, 2017, 02:51 PM   #9
Living For Love
VT Lover

Living For Love's Forum Picture

Name: Tiago

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowfox View Post
I read it after schoolmate told me about it. It was infowars or something. anyway some american media. Also MV (finnish web media) reported about it.

Antifa is bit like Al Qaida just commie version of it. They hate liberty and white skinned people out of principle.
Lmao, Alex Jones' Infowars is almost as bad as CNN, I'd advise you to widen your choice of sources xD And yes, while everyone knows Antifa is a terrorist organisation, no link between Antifa and the shooter has been found. As far as I know, former classmates of the suspect have said he was an ardent atheist and pretty vocal about his hatred of Christians.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...d-atheism.html

Tiago | ♂ | 20 | PM | VM | Ask Me | Lonely Hearts Club

Help and Advice Moderator

~Mike was here~
Living For Love is online now   Reply With Quote
Old November 6th, 2017, 10:49 PM   #10
Mars
Global Moderator

Mars's Forum Picture

Quote:
Originally Posted by Living For Love View Post
We're still not sure if it was a terrorist attack or not, most probably another lone wolf. It's so horrible, though, first Nevada and now Texas. You'd expect things like this to happen in populated places, but this was just a small church in a small town. Truly heartbreaking...
Regardless if you’re assosciated with a group like ISIS or not, if you go into a church and shoot and murder 25 innocent people, you’re a terrorist. Period. It’s sad and like you said, heartbreaking that these things are happeningg

Update: Turns out the gunman was discharged from the Air Force after being found and charged with domestic abuse after fracturing his baby step sons skull and beating his wife. The same year, he was able to buy a gun (one of four). Trump says “this isn’t a guns problem, it’s a mental health problem”... but he rolled back a law that made it harder to people with mental health issues to get guns...

Nice salt pouch, asshole
Quote:
so if he pulls these shenanigans again, I'm whipping out the long dick of the law on him

~Endeavour was here~
~Mike Was Here~

Last edited by Mars; November 6th, 2017 at 11:16 PM.
Old November 6th, 2017, 11:03 PM   #11
PlasmaHam
Awesome Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mars View Post
Bumping this with an update: Turns out the gunman was discharged from the Air Force after being found and charged with domestic abuse after fracturing his baby step sons skull and beating his wife. The same year, he was able to buy a gun (one of four). Trump says “this isn’t a guns problem, it’s a mental health problem”... but he rolled back a law that made it harder to people with mental health issues to get guns....
The problem here, is that his mental health records were not submitted to the FBI by the Air Force. There wasn't some case of gun laws for the mentally ill being too lax or there being some loophole. The problem is that his mental health records were not submitted to the authorities like they should have been, so when the background check was ran for him to buy the gun, he came out clean. If you want to place blame here, then place it on an inoperable government bureaucracy. But to somehow twist this around to say that Donald Trump is somehow responsible for this, that is just a shameless and fallacious attempt to score political points.

If you want to talk about gun control, then head over to Dalcourt's thread. Posts have already been deleted in this thread because they were politicizing a tragedy. It would look bad on the staff if there was an exception for a moderator.

Last edited by Mars; November 6th, 2017 at 11:16 PM.
Old November 6th, 2017, 11:09 PM   #12
Mars
Global Moderator

Mars's Forum Picture

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlasmaHam View Post
The problem here, is that his mental health records were not submitted to the FBI by the Air Force. There wasn't some case of gun laws for the mentally ill being too lax or there being some loophole. The problem is that his mental health records were not submitted to the authorities like they should have been, so when the background check was ran for him to buy the gun, he came out clean. If you want to place blame here, then place it on an inoperable government bureaucracy. But to somehow twist this around to say that Donald Trump is somehow responsible for this, that is just a shameless and fallacious attempt to score political points.

If you want to talk about gun control, then head over to Dalcourt's thread. Posts have already been deleted in this thread because they were politicizing a tragedy. It would look bad on the staff if there was an exception for a moderator.
Im not politicizing the event. I’m updating it with new information and the hypocrisy of the president. Not saying he’s responsible for the event because only the killer was responsible, but what he says DOES have an impact on the people and what he’s saying is not helping

Nice salt pouch, asshole
Quote:

~Endeavour was here~
~Mike Was Here~
Old November 6th, 2017, 11:18 PM   #13
PlasmaHam
Awesome Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mars View Post
Im not politicizing the event. I’m updating it with new information...
That is what all people who politicize a tragedy to score political points say. It's the political equivalent of saying, "I'm not a racist, but", right before you say something racist.
Quote:
and the hypocrisy of the president.
And there is the politicization. Same sentence even, good job.

I'm not pursuing this anymore. There isn't much point to pursuing a debate with someone who has shown a tendency to unilaterally delete any opinion they don't like.
Old November 8th, 2017, 01:31 PM   #14
Stronk Serb
Kebab Remover

Stronk Serb's Forum Picture

One of the posters here a few years ago said that there is a large increase in mass shootings since the Reagan administrastion decided to lower funding for asylums and other mental institutions. Maybe it could be one of the reasons mass shootings are more common, but just like every sociological phenomena, there usually isn't a single cause for it.

Male/Serb nationalist/Centrist Authoritarian /Straight/Heliphobe
"Democracy is a dictatorship of the fools"
-Friedrich von Schiller (1759 – 1805)
VT's leading expert on Slavology and anything Slavic-related, if you have some questions of Slavic nature, just send me a VM or a PM
Stronk Serb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 8th, 2017, 02:52 PM   #15
Barbara.
Awesome Poster

Barbara.'s Forum Picture

Name: Barb

First of all this attack like all attacks in the past is gutless acts of terrorism and cowards that ends up the gunman taking his own life . They always look for the motive behind senseless deaths, I feel the only motive is i can do it bigger and better then the last coward. Just my opinion. My heart goes out to the victims and the families, may they rest eternally peace.

Barbara. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 8th, 2017, 04:11 PM   #16
Lost in the Echo
mofo

Lost in the Echo's Forum Picture

Name: Bo

Terrible to hear this type of thing happen so frequently. You really have to be some kind of fucked up in the head to pull something like this off. It’s mind boggling.
Lost in the Echo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 8th, 2017, 04:56 PM   #17
Babs
draft dodger

Babs's Forum Picture

I can't fathom what kind of headspace somebody has to be in to do something like this, to point a gun and decide that a person is going to die. I don't know the solution to this horrifying epidemic, but there must be something we as a nation could be doing that we just aren't.
Babs is offline   Reply With Quote