Go Back   Virtual Teen Forums > >
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read Chat Room

Old October 19th, 2017, 02:41 PM   #1
Bmble_B
Nice Poster

Bmble_B's Forum Picture

Name: Changed my mind
Question Are we destined to fail?

We've all have heard the saying "History Repeats itself". And with this in mind, every single great civilization: The Romans, Mayans, the Aztecs, etc. have all eventually fell. Are us as humans, just destined to live in this constant loop of repeating history and not learning from it, and ultimately driving ourselves to extinction repeatedly?

I wonder what the world would be like without cellphones.

Let's Dance In The Rain.

I'm Different :3
Bmble_B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 19th, 2017, 05:25 PM   #2
Stronk Serb
Kebab Remover

Stronk Serb's Forum Picture

Default Re: Are we destined to fail?

Well, the first time humans reverted their develompent was during the Bronze Age Collapse, then after the fall of the Roman Empire. Now with the presence of nuclear weapons, we threaten to either wipe ourselves entirely as a race or reverse development and make humanity a bunch of hunter-scavenger communities like in Fallout or The Walking dead (minus the zombies of course)

Male/Serb nationalist/Centrist Authoritarian /Straight/Heliphobe
"Democracy is a dictatorship of the fools"
-Friedrich von Schiller (1759 1805)
VT's leading expert on Slavology and anything Slavic-related, if you have some questions of Slavic nature, just send me a VM or a PM
Stronk Serb is online now   Reply With Quote
Old October 19th, 2017, 06:29 PM   #3
mattsmith48
VT Lover

Name: matt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bmble_B View Post
We've all have heard the saying "History Repeats itself". And with this in mind, every single great civilization: The Romans, Mayans, the Aztecs, etc. have all eventually fell. Are us as humans, just destined to live in this constant loop of repeating history and not learning from it, and ultimately driving ourselves to extinction repeatedly?
Most of the civilization that disappeared were wiped out by a greater civilization or an uncontrollable/unpredictable event like a natural disaster. We have something those civilization didn't have and that is the capacity to destroy our self with both nuclear weapons and climate change. But even in the current context a all out nuclear war is still unlikely and we still have time to stop climate change from killing us all. So that leaves a greater civilization invading and killing us and that would be aliens which is also very unlikely to happen because of the great distance and high level of technology it would take.

Straight Canadian boy
feel free to pm me will talk about anything
mattsmith48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 20th, 2017, 12:35 AM   #4
PlasmaHam
Awesome Poster

PlasmaHam's Forum Picture

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattsmith48 View Post
Most of the civilization that disappeared were wiped out by a greater civilization or an uncontrollable/unpredictable event like a natural disaster.
True in some cases. Though in others not so much. The Roman Empire for instance fell due to stagnation and overstretched borders. The barbarians simply exploited that, and thus Western Civilization was plunged into the Dark Ages, which essentially set back civilization hundreds of years.
Quote:
So that leaves a greater civilization invading and killing us and that would be aliens which is also very unlikely to happen because of the great distance and high level of technology it would take.
Please don't tell me you actually believe that aliens exist (besides @lliam of course).
PlasmaHam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 20th, 2017, 04:20 AM   #5
lliam
Awesome Poster

lliam's Forum Picture

Name: Liam

"Who not learns from history is doomed to repeat it".

I say we've always learned something from the past ... but by doing one step forward and two steps backwards. That's our jam.

"Life is that prison you'll never leave alive."

lliam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 20th, 2017, 09:36 AM   #6
ShineintheDark
Nice Poster

Name: Magnus

I don't believe human civilization will ever fully collapse like it has done in the past purely because we've developed past the point of nations fully collapsing. Even when a nation is all but ravaged and annexed by another (eg. France during WWII) their allies eventually restore it. The closest we would probably get to a collapse of a nation is either nuclear war, natural disaster or, more realistically, a more extreme economic depression like that of the 1920s.
ShineintheDark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 20th, 2017, 10:34 AM   #7
Abyssal Echo
Lone Wolf

Abyssal Echo's Forum Picture

Quote:
Originally Posted by lliam View Post
"Who not learns from history is doomed to repeat it"
^ this is why they teach History.... There is a difference between hearing what the teacher says and listening to what the teacher is saying... sooo yes if you don't learn from others (past) mistakes you me us we are all doomed to fail.... it's not a matter of if but, when.

Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience - Mark Twain
Abyssal Echo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 20th, 2017, 11:30 AM   #8
mattsmith48
VT Lover

Name: matt

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlasmaHam View Post
True in some cases. Though in others not so much. The Roman Empire for instance fell due to stagnation and overstretched borders. The barbarians simply exploited that, and thus Western Civilization was plunged into the Dark Ages, which essentially set back civilization hundreds of years.
Yeah, but that's not really possible in the context the world is now in and technology.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlasmaHam View Post
Please don't tell me you actually believe that aliens exist (besides @lliam of course).
It is very unlikely there is no alien life considering how many stars and planets are out there, just in our solar system we have one planet and four moons that could potentially have life or had life in the past. Now life that evolved to the point they reached an intelligence and technological level allowing them to come here and destroy us, it is possible, but we have no evidence of it so we can't know for sure.

Straight Canadian boy
feel free to pm me will talk about anything
mattsmith48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 29th, 2017, 08:19 AM   #9
CosmicNoodle
Resident Twat

CosmicNoodle's Forum Picture

Name: Joe

Such an edgy thread. We're stupid petrol monkeys and we're all doomed.

My names Joe, but you can call me "Lord and master of all space and time"
I'm Bisexual, deal with it
Ask me shit

~Mike was here~
CosmicNoodle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 29th, 2017, 09:51 AM   #10
ShineintheDark
Nice Poster

Name: Magnus

Quote:
Originally Posted by CosmicNoodle View Post
Such an edgy thread. We're stupid petrol monkeys and we're all doomed.
In all fairness, all philosophical questions carry a certain degree of edge to them.
ShineintheDark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 2nd, 2017, 10:19 PM   #11
Babs
draft dodger

Babs's Forum Picture

Every time we've had a step back in technology and civilization, we have always fully recovered and then some. After the fall of the Roman empire and the dark ages, we took an enormous leap forward with the renaissance and the industrial revolution. We have a space station for fuck's sake. And because of the internet and other databases we have documented damn near everything that's ever been witnessed incredibly well. I don't think human civilization can ever be wiped out totally until we're burned up by the expanding sun.

In short, I'm incredibly optimistic about human civilization.

Last edited by Babs; November 2nd, 2017 at 10:33 PM.
Babs is offline   Reply With Quote